Author Topic: Mexican butterfly activist's disappearance: 53 police detained  (Read 351 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Mexican butterfly activist's disappearance: 53 police detained
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:05:51 pm »
First the news was this guy disappeared about 2 days ago, now this more somber news.

Mexican butterfly activist's disappearance: 53 police detained

Homero Gómez manages a sanctuary for monarch butterflies in Ocampo, Michoacán

In Mexico, 53 local police officers are being questioned over the disappearance of environmental activist Homero Gómez.

Mr Gómez, who manages a butterfly sanctuary in the central town of Ocampo, was last seen on 13 January.

Prosecutors said they had detained the entire police forces of Ocampo and neighbouring Angangueo for questioning.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51205114

His twitter:   https://twitter.com/Homerogomez_g?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1216464058146349061&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.com%2Fnews%2Fworld-latin-america-51205114

Another bad, bad story coming out of Mexico.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Mexican butterfly activist's disappearance: 53 police detained
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 11:17:49 pm »
Can someone explain to me what sort of threat a butterfly collector was to anyone,never mind a government?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 11:23:51 pm »
Can someone explain to me what sort of threat a butterfly collector was to anyone,never mind a government?

I read the article:

Rights groups had earlier said they feared that Mr Gómez may have been targeted because of his fight against illegal logging, one of the activities that criminal gangs in the area are involved in.

Mr Gómez is a tireless campaigner for the conservation of the monarch butterfly and the pine and fir forests where it hibernates.

So, logging. This is pretty common to read about among activists in Latin America.

Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, all of these countries have really a lot of violence and crime.  I don't know if Venezuela would even be worth liberating with their crime problem not to be mean.. except maybe it wasn't so bad before the Chavez regime came to power.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 12:50:14 am »
I read the article:

So, logging. This is pretty common to read about among activists in Latin America.

@TomSea

Thanks!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!