Author Topic: The Secret Political Symbolism You Never Knew Was Hidden Within The Wizard Of Oz  (Read 1965 times)

Offline mountaineer

The Secret Political Symbolism You Never Knew Was Hidden Within The Wizard Of Oz
Genevieve Carlton
Ranker.com
The Wizard of Oz is a beloved children's story that includes both the book, published in 1900, and the movie, which came out in 1939. For years, fans have been drawn to behind-the-scenes gossip about the movie and the strange conspiracies surrounding The Wizard of Oz. But is there a secret political message also hidden in L. Frank Baum's book?

Historians have found a number of symbols in The Wizard of Oz, and they all point to one thing: American politics in the 1890s, when Baum was writing the book. The Wizard of Oz symbolism goes incredibly deep, from the main characters to the cyclone, those famous slippers, and even Toto. And the central message in the book is all about the rise of Populism and the debate over gold versus silver. ...

It might sound far-fetched, but there is a wealth of evidence to support the theory that Baum was writing a political allegory through the lens of a fanciful children's tale. Baum was a political reporter in the 1890s and he lived in South Dakota for several years, giving him a close-up view of the rise of the Populist movement and the views of American farmers and workers. Is The Wizard of Oz an allegory for politics in the 1890s? Interestingly enough, there are arguably also some parallels to today's political scene, making even the would-be political allegory into a timelessly relevant tale. Read on and decide for yourself. ...

There are a lot of clues that the Cowardly Lion represented the greatest Populist hero of the 1890s, William Jennings Bryan. Bryan, lion. Get it? The symbolism goes deep on this one. Like the Cowardly Lion, Bryan was known for his "roaring." He was even portrayed as a lion by the press.

As the Democratic presidential candidate in 1896 and 1900, Bryan promoted the free-silver movement, arguing that America's gold standard was harming farmers. ...
Full article

Interesting analysis.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
The Secret Political Symbolism You Never Knew Was Hidden Within The Wizard Of Oz
Genevieve Carlton
Ranker.comFull article

Interesting analysis.

No way Man.......

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Just imagine if you read "Wizard of Oz" backwards! omg!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It's a cookbook!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I'm waiting for the secret political symbolism behind secret political symbolism.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I'm waiting for the secret political symbolism behind secret political symbolism.

Man that is heavy.

Offline GrouchoTex

No way Man.......

Well, yes, I've actually done the Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz thing.

It's pretty funny, actually.

I was sober when I did it, to tell the truth.

(Someone in the room had to be able to simultaneously operate the VCR and the turntable).

Offline Wingnut

VCR and the turntable
   :yowsa:

How would that work with a CD and a DVD player.

Or a MP3 and a streaming service?

Offline GrouchoTex

I actually had a good Teacher once, who pointed out the William Jennings Bryant connection, back when I was in elementary school.
I am surprised that I remember it now.

Offline GrouchoTex

:yowsa:

How would that work with a CD and a DVD player.

Or a MP3 and a streaming service?

What are these things, which you speak of?

:cool:

I could see a DVD and a CD working okay.

Couldn't say about the mp3 and streaming services.......

Offline Wingnut

Being an ex Disc Jockey, I will say 'slip-cueing" the record on the turntable  will give you the precise sync need  with the VCR or a DVD for that matter.

@Cyber Liberty
@txradioguy

Online roamer_1

Backwards? Is that the idea??

DVD/CD natural wouldn't care because the 'stream' can be captured to a file and manipulated.
DVD/CD DRM would have to be deconstructed, captured to a file and manipulated.

Stream, captured to a file and manipulated...

Catching a trend? And yeah, once it is in a file... I can jack an .avi any which-way with ease..
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 03:16:50 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Being an ex Disc Jockey, I will say 'slip-cueing" the record on the turntable  will give you the precise sync need  with the VCR or a DVD for that matter.

@Cyber Liberty
@txradioguy

Yeah it's a real skill to be able to do that...I'd probably have to practice a bunch to be able to do it again.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Wingnut

Backwards? Is that the idea??

DVD/CD natural wouldn't care because the 'stream' can be captured to a file and manipulated.
DVD/CD DRM would have to be deconstructed, captured to a file and manipulated.

Stream, captured to a file and manipulated...

Catching a trend? And yeah, once it is in a file... I can jack an .avi any which-way with ease..

Damn Roames, you are putting 10 dollars worth of thought into a 2 dollar question!   :cool: :cool:

Online roamer_1

Damn Roames, you are putting 10 dollars worth of thought into a 2 dollar question!   :cool: :cool:

You gotta do what you're good at.  :shrug:

Besides, it wasn't thought, it was experience.  :whistle:

Offline Wingnut

Yeah it's a real skill to be able to do that...I'd probably have to practice a bunch to be able to do it again.

IIRC the "B" side takes some abuse!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

@Cyber Liberty
@txradioguy

With the advent of CDs, slip-cueing is no longer a thing.  Pause button works much easier than slip-cue, and doesn't scratch the B side.   :tongue2:

Oh, BTW, slip-cue is pretty hard on the A side too.  How many well-used records had a nasty cue burn?  Arista Records were the absolute worst for that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

If you can find a studio with a decent studio-quality turntable.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

With the advent of CDs, slip-cueing is no longer a thing.  Pause button works much easier than slip-cue, and doesn't scratch the B side.   :tongue2:

Oh, BTW, slip-cue is pretty hard on the A side too.  How many well-used records had a nasty cue burn?  Arista Records were the absolute worst for that.

CD?  Hell last time I was in a booth we had one of them new fangled "cart" machines.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
CD?  Hell last time I was in a booth we had one of them new fangled "cart" machines.

Cart machines continued past the advent of CDs, and were replaced by MP3 files.  I imagine CDs are also a thing of the past.  I haven't been in a Control Room for many years myself, but I have Bookface friends who still work.  They rarely do anything "live" anymore, and now that MP3s are ubiquitous, DJs don't even have to come into a studio these modern, now a go-go days.
I will NOT comply.

Offline GrouchoTex

I don't have a CD player anymore, except for in my truck.
No CD/CD-ROM/DVD on my computers.
I have 2 large shelves (500+ maybe?) of CD's that I can only listen to in my 14 yr old Toyota Tacoma pick up.

The PS4 plays Blu-ray, so it may play CD's, too.
I hadn't thought about that until just now, but the TV I have my Ps4 hooked up to isn't a great sound system.....

Offline mountaineer

I actually had a good Teacher once, who pointed out the William Jennings Bryant connection, back when I was in elementary school.
I am surprised that I remember it now.
Pretty sure I read the book when I was very young, but had forgotten the slippers were silver. The yellow brick road/gold standard connection was interesting.

Online roamer_1

I don't have a CD player anymore, except for in my truck.
No CD/CD-ROM/DVD on my computers.
I have 2 large shelves (500+ maybe?) of CD's that I can only listen to in my 14 yr old Toyota Tacoma pick up.

The PS4 plays Blu-ray, so it may play CD's, too.
I hadn't thought about that until just now, but the TV I have my Ps4 hooked up to isn't a great sound system.....

@GrouchoTex
Go get you a USB portable CD/DVD reader/writer... Looks like a laptop DVD with a USB cord out the back... About 35 bucks...

Then go DL just about any cd/dvd burning software... I can recommend CDBurnerXP

Almost any burner software has an automated rip routine specifically made for ripping songs off of CDs. It is a simply painless process that at today's speeds will be over in a few minutes...

Make sure you have the drive space... 250g should be plenty, at least to start...
Make a music workshop folder, with an interior folder called rip.

Insert a cd, cancel out of whatever is trying to happen automatically. When its all calmed down, fire up the burner software, actuate the rip routine, point it's output to ..\music workshop\rip\
make sure it is using .mp3 or .ogg (really, stay in mp3) and tell it to go.

When the rip is done, go to the \rip\ folder, make sure the mp3's are there... copy the ENTIRE fileset (there may be other than mp3's, folder art, etc...  put it in a properly named folder, and dump it into your music repository... for the moment, ...\Music Workshop\

You have just made an electronic album.

Make sure the \rip folder is empty, eject, repeat.

I would recommend NOT putting your home burned library inside of \Music, like windows will want you to do... Mine is a separate file structure along with my movies and etc... under \Media\ on another whole drive.

Really man, handled a few cds at a time every night, you'll have that whole thing ripped down in no time. I don't eveb have my originals any more... Haven't for decades.

Once you have the electronic media, you can push it onto any device you'd like. My phone holds my entire library. I can pull up an album and play it in the truck, piped by way of bluetooth to the radio (well, head unit really), playing right through the native sound system.

In the house, the library resides primarily on my media machine (runs my TV, w/ sound piped through an amp to house speakers) and is shared via Windows Media Player, and can be piped via streaming to any machine in the house.

Seriously worth doing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 06:19:43 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline GrouchoTex

@roamer_1

Thanks.
What I don't know about the process, my two boys in their 30's will.

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

Thanks.
What I don't know about the process, my two boys in their 30's will.

LOL! That's right @GrouchoTex  :beer:

No younger than 20 though, or they'll just glaze over and say, "What's a CD?"  :laugh: