Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79639 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #2525 on: March 19, 2020, 09:25:43 pm »
Amen!!! I pray for this country and our President and his family.

As for the check -- well you could always donate what you get to your favorite charity, food pantry, or church?

My husband teased that we could pay our taxes with it.

But yours is a better idea!   :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2526 on: March 19, 2020, 09:28:45 pm »

btw, that is one professor whose opinion is in opposition to thousands of other health care professionals and scientists.

Just make sure that in your cynicism, you don't get yourself sick........... or make anyone sick that you care about.

@musiclady
I do have to ask, and please answer me straight,......    Has the way this been handled (which you seem to handily support)  worth 10 TRILLION dollars to this economy, and possibly economic conditions not seen in this country since 1929-1937?  What is that level of possible pain and suffering worth?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2527 on: March 19, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »
I'm glad Governor Abbott of Texas is taking this pandemic, health emergency seriously and putting safety measures in effect.  Saving lives.....

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-issues-executive-orders-in-accordance-with-federal-guidelines-to-mitigate-spread-of-covid-19-in-texas

The following orders have been issued by Governor Abbott:

Order No. 1: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, every person in Texas shall avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.

Order No. 2: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, people shall avoid eating or drinking at bars, restaurants, and food courts, or visiting gyms or massage parlors; provided, however, that the use of drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options is allowed and highly encouraged throughout the limited duration of this executive order.

Order No. 3: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, people shall not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities unless to provide critical assistance.

Order No. 4: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, schools shall temporarily close.
These orders will be effective on a statewide basis starting at 11:59 PM on March 20, 2020 and will end at 11:59 PM on April 3, 2020, subject to extension thereafter based on the status of COVID-19 in Texas and the recommendations of the CDC.

And it bothers you not at all that government officials have this much power over you and your life @musiclady ?

ALL they need is a pretext.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #2528 on: March 19, 2020, 09:34:59 pm »
I'm glad Governor Abbott of Texas is taking this pandemic, health emergency seriously and putting safety measures in effect.  Saving lives.....

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-issues-executive-orders-in-accordance-with-federal-guidelines-to-mitigate-spread-of-covid-19-in-texas

The following orders have been issued by Governor Abbott:

Order No. 1: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, every person in Texas shall avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people.

Order No. 2: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, people shall avoid eating or drinking at bars, restaurants, and food courts, or visiting gyms or massage parlors; provided, however, that the use of drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options is allowed and highly encouraged throughout the limited duration of this executive order.

Order No. 3: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, people shall not visit nursing homes or retirement or long-term care facilities unless to provide critical assistance.

Order No. 4: In accordance with the Guidelines from the President and the CDC, schools shall temporarily close.
These orders will be effective on a statewide basis starting at 11:59 PM on March 20, 2020 and will end at 11:59 PM on April 3, 2020, subject to extension thereafter based on the status of COVID-19 in Texas and the recommendations of the CDC.

Me too.  I like Gov Abbott.  He's a great Governor and pretty popular even outside the GOP base.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2529 on: March 19, 2020, 09:36:06 pm »

@musiclady
I do have to ask, and please answer me straight,......    Has the way this been handled (which you seem to handily support)  worth 10 TRILLION dollars to this economy, and possibly economic conditions not seen in this country since 1929-1937?  What is that level of possible pain and suffering worth?

To illustrate by absurdity:

"No matter how many trillions it cost, if we save one life, it's worth it"

TRUE or FALSE?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2530 on: March 19, 2020, 09:40:55 pm »

@musiclady

We do not yet know what the cost will be, so your number is suspect.

But to answer your question (assuming it's legitimate)...... there is nothing in anything I've said anywhere that says I "handily support" everything about the way this has been handled.  I don't.

What I object to is the few here who are dismissing it out of hand because people die all sorts of ways, some may deserve it, anyone who is taking this seriously is some kind of fool, or lemming, or whatever insult you want to level at the majority of Americans.....

The media and the left has been despicable about this, and I do not get ANY of my information from them.  NONE of it.

I have been listening to and reading from medical and scientific experts from the beginning.  I have been calm, but informed about this pandemic and have listened to the voices of hundreds of conservatives who are also taking this seriously.

Whether or not you think one or two here are overdoing it, the idea of completely dismissing the unique threat this causes to lives and our society, is to me, irresponsible.

I am 70 years old with no comorbidities.  I am taking daily walks, but other than that, doing what I believe is the responsible and adult thing to do...... staying home.

Now, this thread is not about me.  It's about the pandemic that is taking more and more lives daily and is still on the upswing.

So I'd prefer to keep it that way.

I hope, however, that I have answered your questions and corrected your incorrect assumptions about people who are concerned about the health and well being of every single American who might be affected by this insidious, unprecedented zoonotic disease.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Lando Lincoln

« Reply #2531 on: March 19, 2020, 09:42:15 pm »
Amen!!! I pray for this country and our President and his family.

As for the check -- well you could always donate what you get to your favorite charity, food pantry, or church?

Mrs. Lando said we are donating anything we receive (unless it is toilet paper). 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2532 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:07 pm »

@musiclady

Texas massage parlors have drive-thrus?  Who knew?   :silly:

Ok,all this coronavirus news is making me loony..  [slinking out of the thread]

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2533 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:09 pm »
And it bothers you not at all that government officials have this much power over you and your life @musiclady ?

ALL they need is a pretext.

Not if it is at the state level and the "pretext" is saving thousands of lives.

Your governor is not adding fuel to a meaningless fire.  He doesn't fit your dismissive, insulting memes.

He is leading the people of Texas to a safer place and helping slow the upsurge of this disease and preserve the precious resources and potentially lives of the medical community of Texas.

And that is admirable.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2534 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:56 pm »
@musiclady

:rolling:

« Reply #2535 on: March 19, 2020, 09:47:08 pm »
To illustrate by absurdity:

"No matter how many trillions it cost, if we save one life, it's worth it"

TRUE or FALSE?

FALSE.

Doing nothing and letting the chips fall where they may, will save the most lives, and is therefore our best course of action.

TRUE or FALSE?

If you said FALSE too then maybe we meet in the middle @roamer_1 .

Offline DB

« Reply #2536 on: March 19, 2020, 09:50:21 pm »

@musiclady

This is going to pass. It isn't likely to last more than a couple of months and could be much shorter. Especially if the malaria treatment becomes widely available and works as claimed. The markets will go rocketing up when it does. To lose 10 trillion dollars ALL productivity would have to stop for about 9 months. That's very unlikely.

The biggest danger now is government spending huge amounts of money to "do something".

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2537 on: March 19, 2020, 09:51:06 pm »
FALSE.

Doing nothing and letting the chips fall where they may, will save the most lives, and is therefore our best course of action.

TRUE or FALSE?

If you said FALSE too then maybe we meet in the middle @roamer_1 .

Sure it is false @Once-Ler ... I have never advocated 'doing nothing'.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2538 on: March 19, 2020, 09:51:50 pm »
Not if it is at the state level and the "pretext" is saving thousands of lives.

Your governor is not adding fuel to a meaningless fire.  He doesn't fit your dismissive, insulting memes.

He is leading the people of Texas to a safer place and helping slow the upsurge of this disease and preserve the precious resources and potentially lives of the medical community of Texas.

And that is admirable.

So if the pretext is "admirable" it's anything goes with you.  Got it! 

**nononono* **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*  ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep****

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2539 on: March 19, 2020, 09:55:50 pm »
Senator Dumped Up to $1.6 Million of Stock After Reassuring Public About Coronavirus Preparedness

Intelligence Chair Richard Burr’s selloff came around the time he was receiving daily briefings on the health threat.

by Robert Faturechi and Derek Willis March 19,

Soon after he offered public assurances that the government was ready to battle the coronavirus, the powerful chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Richard Burr, sold off a significant percentage of his stocks, unloading between $582,029 and $1.56 million of his holdings on Feb. 13 in 29 separate transactions.

As the head of the intelligence committee, Burr, a North Carolina Republican, has access to the government’s most highly classified information about threats to America’s security. His committee was receiving daily coronavirus briefings around this time, according to a Reuters story.

On Thursday, Burr came under fire after NPR obtained a secret recording from Feb. 27, in which the lawmaker gave a VIP group at an exclusive social club a much more dire preview of the economic impact of the coronavirus than what he had told the public.

Read more at:  https://www.propublica.org/article/senator-dumped-up-to-1-6-million-of-stock-after-reassuring-public-about-coronavirus-preparedness

That's awful.

Same link, I have thought about postal workers:

Letter Carriers Say the Postal Service Pressured Them to Deliver Mail Despite Coronavirus Symptoms — and Often Without Hand Sanitizer
https://www.propublica.org/article/letter-carriers-say-the-postal-service-pressured-them-to-deliver-mail-despite-coronavirus-symptoms-and-often-without-hand-sanitizer

Offline DB

« Reply #2540 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:06 pm »

**nononono* **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*  ****sheep**** ****sheep**** ****sheep****

I fail to see where she said that. Why is it binary with you - all or nothing. Did the governor line up infected people and shoot them? After all that's "anything goes"... The discussion ought to be where to draw the line and why.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2541 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:08 pm »

I didn't say anything remotely like that.

Why don't you leave off the emotional garbage and let those of us who are calmer discuss the actual issues?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2542 on: March 19, 2020, 10:00:07 pm »
I fail to see where she said that. Why is it binary with you - all or nothing. Did the governor line up infected people and shoot them? After all that's "anything goes"... The discussion ought to be where to draw the line and why.

The "discussion" with some is to belittle anyone who disagrees by making absurd accusations, because actually thinking about what is said requires effort. 

He knows I didn't say anything like that.

When he calms down, maybe he'll retract the idiocy of what he just said.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2543 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:09 pm »
Just boarded a plane.  Nine passengers total.  And this is the busy flight.

The busiest airport in the world is almost deserted.  I feel safer here than at the grocery store.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #2544 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:34 pm »

@musiclady

@catfish1957 Are you blaming the stock market crash on Trump, or is that $10 Trillion just the cost of not quite shutting down America for 2 weeks and the recent coronavirus relief law?  People might have stopped going to bars, and the theater because of the dying anyways.  I'm gonna support the President because he asked for my co-operation and said we are all in this together and I don't think asking for 15 days to sort this out is asking me too much.  Consider a more realistic hypothetical cost in your argument.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2545 on: March 19, 2020, 10:03:46 pm »
https://www.wsj.com/articles/italys-virus-death-toll-on-the-cusp-of-overtaking-chinas-11584626731

Italy’s Coronavirus Death Toll Overtakes China’s
The relentless rise in Italy reflects the particular danger of the illness for elderly people

Deaths in Italy now 3,405
Deaths in China now 3,130

Pray for Italy
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:06:19 pm by musiclady »

« Reply #2546 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:29 pm »
Sure it is false @Once-Ler ... I have never advocated 'doing nothing'.

Fair enough @roamer_1 , we agree on action and disagree on price.    happy77
Stay healthy

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2547 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:05 pm »

In that case @DB it appears that one of us needs more lessons in reading comprehension.  Where is the line?  Can YOU or @musiclady tell me?

What is your life really worth if ANYONE or ANYTHING has this much power over it?

And FWIW, I have never once told anyone anywhere that THEY should not take whatever measures they feel necessary to protect themselves and those they care for.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:36:50 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2548 on: March 19, 2020, 10:14:10 pm »
@musiclady

@corbe  would know I would think.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2549 on: March 19, 2020, 10:16:01 pm »
Of course @Gefn .  Most of us in fact.

Thank you @Once-Ler

You guys are the best. I love my Briefers family.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️