Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79640 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #2425 on: March 19, 2020, 05:07:28 pm »
And in return, we have been accused of 'bullying', 'making personal attacks', 'using innuendo', 'making ad hominems', and 'accusing others of trying to scare others with no back up'.
Yep.
Which is why I am speaking to the data, the holes in it as reported, the flaws in it as sampling goes, and they are legion.

You'd think people would be able to spot omissions and half-truths by now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2426 on: March 19, 2020, 05:07:40 pm »
And in return, we have been accused of 'bullying', 'making personal attacks', 'using innuendo', 'making ad hominems', and 'accusing others of trying to scare others with no back up'.

IMO there'll be some red faces when the final cost of this thing is tallied.

And we ought to all be hoping I'm right.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2427 on: March 19, 2020, 05:09:19 pm »
My doctor friend said do not use the nasal spray, just the zinc lozenges.

@mountaineer @DB

I am one of those that significantly lost sense of smell from overuse of zicam nasal spray from my years in Alaska.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2428 on: March 19, 2020, 05:10:36 pm »
Stanford Professor: Data Indicates We’re Severely Overreacting To Coronavirus

The professor is correct!
Yeah....tell that to the New Jersey family that had 7 hospitalized with 4 of them dying....they weren't exactly old either.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2429 on: March 19, 2020, 05:12:18 pm »
Just don't look at your statement this month....I'm not.

Don't look at it for the rest of the year.  If you got extra cash, buy.  Stocks are a bargain right now, but it won't last.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2430 on: March 19, 2020, 05:12:20 pm »
@mountaineer @DB

I am one of those that significantly lost sense of smell from overuse of zicam nasal spray from my years in Alaska.
Same here....  I was a stockholder.  I made thousands on paper....then it all came crashing down when it turned out that Zicam caused you to lose your sense of smell.  I will NEVER forget zicam.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2431 on: March 19, 2020, 05:14:20 pm »
The Stanford Proff says we don't know enough about the disease. Brilliant observation. This isn't the Silver Bulllet some are waving around, we just don't know.  So, what else is new?  Expose 330 million people to possible disaster? He's not the only educated opinion out there.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2432 on: March 19, 2020, 05:16:35 pm »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says Scroll down to the graphic (pie chart) 99,2% of the Italians had some serious underlying health issue or multiple issues.

Thank you for that.

More than 75% had high blood pressure, about 35% had diabetes and a third suffered from heart disease.

I get to check all those boxes.  So do a lot of us.

Cardiovascular diseases affect nearly half of American adults, statistics show
https://www.heart.org/en/news/2019/01/31/cardiovascular-diseases-affect-nearly-half-of-american-adults-statistics-show

In the United States, about 77.9 million (1 out of every 3) adults have high blood pressure.

https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_319587.pdf

34.2 million people, or 10.5% of the U.S. population, have diabetes. An estimated 26.8 million people - or 10.2% of the population - had diagnosed diabetes. Approximately 7.3 million people have diabetes but have not yet been diagnosed (2018).

https://www.diabetesresearch.org/diabetes-statistics

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2433 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:19 pm »
Yeah....tell that to the New Jersey family that had 7 hospitalized with 4 of them dying....they weren't exactly old either.
What preexisting medical conditions were involved? How long did they delay getting medical care?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2434 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:40 pm »
IMO there'll be some red faces when the final cost of this thing is tallied.

And we ought to all be hoping I'm right.

Ain't no question about it. You are right.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2435 on: March 19, 2020, 05:20:56 pm »

Anecdotal evidence is pretty useless in the face of statistics that are still way way low, and trillions being spent.

You may as well bring up anecdotal evidence of folks getting hit by traffic as they cross the street - As that has a greater chance of happening than dying of this virus.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2436 on: March 19, 2020, 05:21:06 pm »
What preexisting medical conditions were involved? How long did they delay getting medical care?
Texas Governor on tv now.....we have the virus in over 20 counties now.  Spreading quite fast....  He just shut down all restaurants, gymns etc....wow. Laredo pretty well shut the town down. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:24:13 pm by mrpotatohead »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #2437 on: March 19, 2020, 05:21:34 pm »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says Scroll down to the graphic (pie chart) 99,2% of the Italians had some serious underlying health issue or multiple issues.
That is a very significant piece of data and the sky-is-falling types fail to recognize that for what it means, which basically is healthy people have minimum health risk to virus exposure.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2438 on: March 19, 2020, 05:22:24 pm »
Thank you for that.

I get to check all those boxes.  So do a lot of us.

Cardiovascular diseases affect nearly half of American adults, statistics show
https://www.heart.org/en/news/2019/01/31/cardiovascular-diseases-affect-nearly-half-of-american-adults-statistics-show

https://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_319587.pdf

https://www.diabetesresearch.org/diabetes-statistics
Stay healthy, friend.
I am fortunate enough to be over 60 and not check any of them.

Considering the above stats, I wonder how much overlap there is with the 60.8% of the US population that works.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2439 on: March 19, 2020, 05:26:19 pm »
Anecdotal evidence is pretty useless in the face of statistics that are still way way low, and trillions being spent.

You may as well bring up anecdotal evidence of folks getting hit by traffic as they cross the street - As that has a greater chance of happening than dying of this virus.
I pray you are correct....

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2440 on: March 19, 2020, 05:28:10 pm »

Thank goodness we won't see this again.

King County to put 200-bed field hospital on Shoreline soccer field amid coronavirus outbreak
March 18, 2020

Workers start building and setting up a temporary field hospital at a Shoreline soccer field on Wednesday. It will be for people who can’t safely remain in their homes or don’t have a home, according to the city. There will be multiple such hospitals throughout King County. (Amanda Snyder / The Seattle Times)
Evan Bush By Evan Bush
Seattle Times staff reporter

A temporary field hospital for use by people unable to isolate and recover from COVID-19 in their own homes will be located at a soccer field in Shoreline, a city spokesman said.

The Shoreline Temporary Field Hospital, at 19030 First Ave. N.E., will provide up to 200 beds, according to the city website. It will house “people exposed to, at risk of exposure, or becoming ill with the novel coronavirus.”

“It’s basically to relieve pressure on the hospitals and to free up beds for critical patients,” said Eric Bratton, a city spokesman. The hospital will be on a turf soccer field that is on school district property but is leased by the city, Bratton said.

Read more at:  https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/health/king-county-to-put-200-bed-field-hospital-on-shoreline-soccer-field-amid-coronavirus-outbreak/

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2441 on: March 19, 2020, 05:29:16 pm »
I pray you are correct....
Sixteen people die per day, on average in the US from pedestrian/vehicle accidents. So far, the jaywalkers are ahead.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2442 on: March 19, 2020, 05:29:39 pm »
@mountaineer @DB

Hydrogen sulfide seems to have the same effect.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #2443 on: March 19, 2020, 05:31:06 pm »
Yep. My sense of smell is limited, and has been since I worked in a field back in the 80s where the flares went out all too often.  :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline corbe

« Reply #2444 on: March 19, 2020, 05:34:58 pm »
   Anhydrous Ammonia (used to make blueprints) is also a smell killer. I delivered that stuff to engineering firms all over Houston, as a teenager.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2445 on: March 19, 2020, 05:35:10 pm »
Sixteen people die per day, on average in the US from pedestrian/vehicle accidents. So far, the jaywalkers are ahead.

Covid-19 in the US passed that two days ago.

40 deaths yesterday

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Scroll down to:
Daily New Deaths in the United States

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2446 on: March 19, 2020, 05:36:11 pm »

17 hours ago, USA coronavirus death toll was 100,

US coronavirus death toll surpasses 100;
https://abcnews.go.com/US/coronavirus-live-updates-us-death-toll-surpasses-100/story?id=69636160

now it's at 154.

United States: 10,755 cases, 154 deaths
https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/national/u-s-death-toll-how-are-world-governments-handling-the/collection_05705193-a8fd-5deb-a5c0-2407b04f85df.html

Just the facts.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2447 on: March 19, 2020, 05:36:51 pm »
   Anhydrous Ammonia (used to make blueprints) is also a smell killer. I delivered that stuff to engineering firms all over Houston, as a teenager.

Troodat.  It also shrinks money when liquified.  If you get a chance, drop a dollar bill into a vat of very cold liquid ammonia.  Pretty cool.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

« Reply #2448 on: March 19, 2020, 05:37:18 pm »

Hydrogen Sulfide is the only reason I am concerned by my loss of smell.  Often it is a benefit in life working around large men with high protein diets.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2449 on: March 19, 2020, 05:38:22 pm »
That's exactly what my doctor friend said last night was a possible side effect, and was why NOT to use it. I said, "That stinks."

DON'T USE a zinc spray. Just the lozenges. (pretty sure that's what I said).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 05:52:57 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org