Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79642 times)

Offline LadyLiberty

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #2125 on: March 17, 2020, 05:46:14 pm »

They are using confirmed cases, which are cases tested and proved, to come up with the mortality rate. But for every confirmed case there are a myriad of cases that never will be tested or confirmed. Because testing is only done when symptoms present and warrant the testing.

When this is all over, I would like to see someone use a test for antibodies to covid-19 and do a scientific sampling of people who did not show symptoms to see get a good estimate on how many were infected and never knew.  They we would have a good estimate of the real death rate.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2126 on: March 17, 2020, 05:50:36 pm »
When this is all over, I would like to see someone use a test for antibodies to covid-19 and do a scientific sampling of people who did not show symptoms to see get a good estimate on how many were infected and never knew.  They we would have a good estimate of the real death rate.

I don't think that's feasible, at least on a large scale... For the same reason everyone are not getting tested now. There ain't enough tests, and there ain't enough money....

But I get where you are coming from  :beer:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2127 on: March 17, 2020, 05:55:46 pm »
That sounds like a good idea driven by the free market.

It sure is, and you pegged the originators of the idea correctly: Private industry.  We "discovered" Walmart's curb-side grocery pickup some months ago, and it's been a wonderful thing.  No walking the aisles, which, for me, usually ends up with too much impulse buying.  We shop to a list much better now.  We put things in the virtual cart in an app at our leisure, and check out when we get enough items to make it worth the trip.  Wally World is a half-hour drive, one way.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #2128 on: March 17, 2020, 05:55:52 pm »
I don't think that's feasible, at least on a large scale... For the same reason everyone are not getting tested now. There ain't enough tests, and there ain't enough money....

For those who regularly get their blood work done they can probably throw that test into the mix to collect data. Assuming it isn't expensive and the data is worth collecting. It will still miss a good chunk of the population that rarely gets their blood work done but still would provide a lot of data.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #2129 on: March 17, 2020, 06:01:17 pm »

I didn't say test everyone, I said a "scientific sampling."

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2130 on: March 17, 2020, 06:03:16 pm »
For those who regularly get their blood work done they can probably throw that test into the mix to collect data. Assuming it isn't expensive and the data is worth collecting. It will still miss a good chunk of the population that rarely gets their blood work done but still would provide a lot of data.

Right. The lion's share. And that is why answers remain elusive. And why it takes so long to reach a solution. The underclass, the unacknowledged, the ignorant, and the unrepentant... Those are the vectors that are always undefined.

There are always way more birds in the bush than birds in the hand.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2131 on: March 17, 2020, 06:05:40 pm »
I did not say that.

I did not say that either.

I know you didn't.  But somebody on the thread did.......
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2132 on: March 17, 2020, 06:06:31 pm »

Correctamundo.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline musiclady

« Reply #2133 on: March 17, 2020, 06:07:57 pm »
Please tell me how well Governor Cuomo is handling this crisis.
New York virus to peak in 45 days (!), taxing hospitals, Cuomo says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-york-virus-to-peak-in-45-days-taxing-hospitals-cuomo-says/ar-BB11jtPi?ocid=spartandhp

He's bombing.

He failed to take preventative measures in time, and now is overreacting.

The taxing of hospitals may have been prevented, and most likely would have been in a state that isn't so "progressive."

The closer a state is to socialized medicine, the worse it is for the health of its citizens.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2134 on: March 17, 2020, 06:07:58 pm »

But unless you do that for other viruses, the comparison will be meaningless.

I feel confident people get the seasonal flu with a less than typical impact and they do not see a doctor either.  Those cases are not counted either.

If you are going to compared to other virus, you need to use the same baseline.  And that is only of the people impacted severely enough to see medical attention.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2135 on: March 17, 2020, 06:19:21 pm »
@roamer_1
Alright. We'll just have to disagree and leave it at that.
Wait until the virus is at his door, then his tune will change.  happy77

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2136 on: March 17, 2020, 06:25:06 pm »
That value was wasted if you failed to sell or leverage for something else of value.

That value is meaningless unless you intend to buy, sell, or leverage.  A $100 bill can't purchase anything while it remains in your pocket.

Please consider why you purchased stock to begin with, what your overall goal was, and where the finish line is.  Anyone working in the market knew that the DOW at 29k was huge bubble territory.  At some time, it was going to go down and stabilize.  But everyone was enjoying riding the wave and afraid to get off, lest they be left behind.  When it hit 24k, I knew it was too high.  But I didn't sell.  When it hit 26k, I knew it was overvalued, but didn't sell.  When it hit 29k, I knew it was overvalued, but didn't sell.  And now that it is at 20k, I know it is closer to actual value, but I still ain't selling.  Because the point of buying it to begin with was for my retirement many years down the road.

As for what the average American watching in fear as the ticker changes, I would be willing to bet that 99% of them couldn't name 5 DJI stocks.
You are wasting your breath on him.  It's like arguing with my brother who is a lawyer, who never listens to a thing you say.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #2137 on: March 17, 2020, 06:25:37 pm »
At our age....   Can you put a price tag on basically losing 6 months of enjoyable life?

I am a well, responsible self quarantining,  >60 y.o.  (age risk).  But I tell ya.....   If it becomes evident that this was overblown?  I don't think you will see the level of anger that has been seen in many years.

If it becomes evident that this was overblown? There is the rub. If nothing happens those who closed down life will crow from the rooftops that "it worked" when that is not unknowable and could just as easily be because people are responsibly taking precautions on their own. The draconian closures are not necessary, especially in areas without cases. The same geniuses that shut down private businesses because they can't be trusted to wipe down hard surfaces and monitor their health and that of their employees when their livelihood is at stake are the same geniuses that will tell when it's okay to resume. I refuse to stop my life because of some panicking bureaucrat.

Just because the powers-that-be are incapable of critical thinking doesn't mean everyone else is.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2138 on: March 17, 2020, 06:27:48 pm »
And now for a little cute-- a PSA from Mel Brooks and his son Max:

Mel Brooks and his son explain social distancing for you

Mel Brooks, 93, is in the group deemed high risk as the spread of COVID-19 continues due to his age .

His son, Max Brooks, said he is practicing social distancing so that his father -- nor any of his father's famous friends and fellow legendary figures -- get sick. 

See the Twitter video here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/mel-brooks-and-his-son-explain-social-distancing-for-you/ar-BB11h6jY?ocid=msedgdhp

Offline DB

« Reply #2139 on: March 17, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
If it becomes evident that this was overblown? There is the rub. If nothing happens those who closed down life will crow from the rooftops that "it worked" when that is not unknowable and could just as easily be because people are responsibly taking precautions on their own. The draconian closures are not necessary, especially in areas without cases. The same geniuses that shut down private businesses because they can't be trusted to wipe down hard surfaces and monitor their health and that of their employees when their livelihood is at stake are the same geniuses that will tell when it's okay to resume. I refuse to stop my life because of some panicking bureaucrat.

Just because the powers-that-be are incapable of critical thinking doesn't mean everyone else is.

Something is going on in Iran that isn't the flu: https://apnews.com/6e92d93551ee6c6ae51d0acaaad9eb32

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2140 on: March 17, 2020, 06:31:38 pm »
Something is going on in Iran that isn't the flu: https://apnews.com/6e92d93551ee6c6ae51d0acaaad9eb32
...   Late Monday night, angry crowds stormed the courtyards of the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad and the Fatima Masumeh shrine in Qom. Many people visit the shrine in Qom 24 hours a day, seven days a week, touching and kissing the shrine.That has worried health officials, who for weeks wanted Iran’s Shiite clergy to close them.    ...

:whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2141 on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:03 pm »
Wait until the virus is at his door, then his tune will change.  happy77

I doubt that very much. And it is nearly at the gate. Missoula has 4 cases and Spokane is an official hot-spot. Everything coming here passes through there.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2142 on: March 17, 2020, 06:32:28 pm »

I smell a purge of peasants.  Unfortunately for them, the virus hit the leadership of that benighted country first.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #2143 on: March 17, 2020, 06:34:20 pm »
I doubt that very much. And it is nearly at the gate. Missoula has 4 cases and Spokane is an official hot-spot. Everything coming here passes through there.

Let me just say I hope it stays far from you and everyone else.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2144 on: March 17, 2020, 06:40:33 pm »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/celebrity/mel-brooks-and-his-son-explain-social-distancing-for-you/ar-BB11h6jY?ocid=msedgdhp

:yowsa:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2145 on: March 17, 2020, 06:52:42 pm »
That sounds like a good idea driven by the free market.
Yesterday in SoCal the regional market chain named Northgate-Gonzalez, announced special hours for seniors.

Other markets changed hours, too, including Walmart--extending some store's hours, reducing some others.

within abour 4 miles, we have Trader Joe's,  Walmart Neighborhood, Sprouts, Von's, Albertsons, Sprouts, Grocery Outlet, Aldi, Costco, Sam's club, Stater Bros., Smart & Final, Target.

Further a little bit incl. Gelson's, Whole Foods

Enough variety in America's free market system?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2146 on: March 17, 2020, 07:34:11 pm »
Mayor Warns NYC to Prepare for Potential Shelter-in-Place Order Amid ‘Fast-Growing Crisis’

Mayor Bill de Blasio told New Yorkers Tuesday to prepare for a potential citywide shelter-in-place order. While no state or city mandate has been issued at this time, the mayor said "we are deeply concerned about the direction and trajectory" of infection. A decision would likely come within 48 hours.

Earlier in the day, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said any such order would require state approval. The city of San Francisco, though, has implemented a similar order in several counties to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Describing the city's plight as a "fast-growing crisis," de Blasio added more than 100 new cases to the number Cuomo had given for NYC just hours earlier. By mid-afternoon Tuesday, New York City coronavirus cases surpassed 800, according to the mayor. Seven NYC residents have died, along with five others across the state.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coronavirus/nypd-to-enforce-closures-as-nyc-celebrates-st-patricks-day-with-no-parade-no-bars/2330440/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2147 on: March 17, 2020, 07:36:47 pm »

@Applewood if you are a fan of the Food Network, Alton Brown has a very good video on how to wash hands. It’s like watching an episode of “Good Eats”
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2148 on: March 17, 2020, 08:02:13 pm »
Let me just say I hope it stays far from you and everyone else.

YEP, and back atcha!
 :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2149 on: March 17, 2020, 08:21:47 pm »
Come on. That's just plain wrong.

Polio, Tetanus, Measles, Whooping Cough, ever heard of them? There are many others...

You think quarantines never works? The whole point is to slow down the spread so that medical facilities and supplies can keep up with demand instead of doing triage at the front door. Once triage starts all serious medical conditions go through the process. It sucks to be you if you could have survived your heart attack but the resources were overload at the time. Just nature taking its course you say...
Contain? No. We developed vaccines. Not the same thing.
Stop administering the vaccines, and the diseases will make a comeback.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis