Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79643 times)

Offline skeeter

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #1750 on: March 16, 2020, 05:30:31 pm »
I thought that just a few days ago because the media hype and the toilet paper thing have been so far over the top, but I've changed my tune, and this is why......

Scientists, health care professionals, pastors, educators, religious leaders, state leaders, community leaders, calm, conservative, thoughtful people are gravitating to the same place.......

The less contact we have with others during the coming weeks, the slower the spread of this disease will be.  The more large gatherings that are cancelled, the lower the risk will be.  The less close contact we have with strangers, the safer we will be.

A niece who is a physician in Montana has seen a case, another niece and family who are in northern Indiana is in quarantine because their daughter's best friend's mom tested positive.  A sister in law who is immune compromised has been told to self-isolate.  Our (Tea Party) Conservative pastor is doing only online services because he believes it is the most loving thing we as Christians can do.

Great measures are being taken to slow the growth of this virus by Governors and lower level community leaders.

And perhaps it is BECAUSE of these measures that this will turn out to be "nothing."  Because the "much ado" prevented a disaster, and on the record books this WILL be no more than the flu.

Except that won't be the reality of it, because it is significantly worse.  It will be because people were smart, stayed home and considered the good of the people they love rather than carrying on as if life these days is any form of normal.

I have no problem with limiting contact and taking common sense precautions during flu season. It should be done every flu season.

What we are doing now will have a dramatic result, and lives will be saved, which is great. But we all need to be aware of the costs and ask ourselves if we can afford to do this every flu season. Life has risks. If we demand to be kept safe from such risks there are those who will step in and accommodate us but there will be a price and lasting implications.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:36:52 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1751 on: March 16, 2020, 05:42:36 pm »
Julie Bosman
@juliebosman
Wow.

“Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,” Mr. Trump told the governors during the conference call. via
@jmartNYT

Is this a bad response?

Brett McGurk retweeted this.

I do agee, this isn't the right answer.

I do not know who this tweet us from.

Brett McGurk
@brett_mcgurk
This is reckless and insane. The most important job for a president is to protect the American people. Not encourage a free-for-all for precious life-saving resources. No planning to scale production, ensure resources are available in hardest hit areas? Unbelievable. #COVID19

https://mobile.twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/1239606823671353344.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:47:07 pm by TomSea »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1752 on: March 16, 2020, 05:45:43 pm »
I have no problem with limiting contact and taking common sense precautions during flu season. It should be done every flu season.

What we are doing now will have a dramatic result, and lives will be saved, which is great. But we all need to be aware of the costs and ask ourselves if we can afford to do this every flu season. Life has risks. If we demand to be kept safe from such risks there are those who will step in and accommodate us but there will be a price and lasting implications.

Of course life has risks.  And care must be taken every flu season to avoid them if we can. 

But this is fundamentally different and that is verified by the scientific and health communities.  The decisions being made to stop large gatherings are based on science, and not on politics (at least in most places).  OhioHealth is curtailing visitors which does not happen in a normal flu season.  Nursing homes are not allowing visits or tours of facilities  for the sake of the health of their clients. Churches during flu season may stop the handshakes, but they do not close. The Salvation Army doesn't alter their food ministry because of the flu.

This is not the same thing as other risks.  It just isn't.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1753 on: March 16, 2020, 05:49:23 pm »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1754 on: March 16, 2020, 05:50:18 pm »

Except this IS NOT a flu virus.  This virus acts more like pneumonia virus.  I was corrected in here by a poster (and rightly so) because there is a difference between this virus and the flu virus.  Much more fatal, easily spread and reports are indicating that social distancing and washing hands is the way to contain this.

Again, (sorry for the repeat) we here in SWFL have seen record breaking heat -- and the number of cases in FL just doubled overnight so IMHO there is no indication that once we see warmer temps this will disappear.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1755 on: March 16, 2020, 05:53:45 pm »
Except this IS NOT a flu virus.  This virus acts more like pneumonia virus.  I was corrected in here by a poster (and rightly so) because there is a difference between this virus and the flu virus.  Much more fatal, easily spread and reports are indicating that social distancing and washing hands is the way to contain this.

Again, (sorry for the repeat) we here in SWFL have seen record breaking heat -- and the number of cases in FL just doubled overnight so IMHO there is no indication that once we see warmer temps this will disappear.

The head of the after school program we volunteer at believes that schools will be closed for the rest of the school year.

She may well be right.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1756 on: March 16, 2020, 05:58:10 pm »

This is not the same thing as other risks.  It just isn't.

Its not like other flu outbreaks because we've never been privy to a case by case narrative on its progress. Is a death by Coronavirus somehow worse than the 20-80k US deaths during a 'normal' flu season?

I think we're overreacting. Some lives will be saved this flu season - a very good thing - that won't be saved in subsequent flu seasons that do not receive the same level of attention.

Meanwhile I hope someone counts the cost in economic and other hardship this unusual reaction will cause, because we should all know what are the complete consequences of this course our media are inspiring and our leaders are pursuing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:05:59 pm by skeeter »

Offline DB

« Reply #1757 on: March 16, 2020, 06:10:15 pm »
Its not like other flu outbreaks because we've never been privy to a case by case narrative on its progress. Is a death by Coronavirus somehow worse than the 20-80k US deaths during a 'normal' flu season?

I think we're overreacting. Some lives will be saved this flu season - a very good thing - that won't be saved in subsequent flu seasons that do not receive the same level of attention.

Meanwhile I hope someone counts the cost in economic hardship this unusual reaction will cause, because we should all know what are the complete consequences of this course our media are inspiring and our leaders are pursuing.

It isn't that simple. Many of those flu deaths are people that are very old and are not far from death already. The flu is what pushes them over the edge and so the death is counted as a flu death.

This virus is significantly more potent affecting people that otherwise are not nearly as close to expiring naturally. Yesterday it was reported that in France more than half the people with COVID-19 that were in critical care were less than 50 years old (if I remember correctly). That isn't the normal flu. And it is something for those of us who are mostly healthy but not stellar healthy should be worried about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1758 on: March 16, 2020, 06:13:03 pm »
I'm surprised.  There are still quite a few countries that have not be infected with the virus.

What countries have not declared any known cases of coronavirus?

1.         Angola                                          32,866,272

2.         Bahamas                                       393,244

3.         Barbados                                       287,375

4.         Belize                                            397,628

5.         Benin                                             12,123,200

6.         Botswana                                       2,351,627

7.         Burundi                                            11,890,784

8.         Cabo Verde                                    555,987

9.         Chad                                             16,425,864

10.       Comoros                                         869,601

11.       Djibouti                                           988,000

12.       Dominica                                        71,986

13.       El Salvador                                     6,486,205

14.       Eritrea                                             3,546,421

15.       Fiji                                                    896,445

16.       Gambia                                            2,416,668

17.       Grenada                                          112,523

18.       Guatemala                                     17,915,568

19.       Guinea-Bissau                                1,968,001

20.       Haiti                                                 11,402,528

21.       Kiribati                                             119,449

22.       Kyrgyzstan                                      6,524,195

23.       Laos                                                 7,275,560

24.       Lesotho                                            2,142,249

25.       Liberia                                             5,057,681

26.       Libya                                                6,871,292

27.       Madagascar                                   27,691,018

28.       Malawi                                            19,129,952

29.       Mali                                                  20,250,833

30.       Marshall Islands                            59,190

31.       Mauritius                                        1,271,768

32.       Micronesia                                     115,023

33.       Montenegro                                  628,066

34.       Mozambique                                 31,255,435

35.       Myanmar (formerly Burma)           54,409,800

36.       Nauru                                              10,824

37.       Nicaragua                                       6,624,554

38.       Niger                                               24,206,644

39.       North Korea                                   25,778,816

40.       Palau                                                18,094

41.       Papua New Guinea                       8,947,024

42.       Saint Kitts and Nevis                        53,199

43.       Saint Lucia                                      183,627

44.       Samoa                                             198,414

45.       Sao Tome and Principe                    219,159

46.       Sierra Leone                                    7,976,983

47.       Solomon Islands                                 686,884

48.       Somalia                                              15,893,222

49.       South Sudan                                      11,193,725

50.       Suriname                                               586,632

51.       Syria                                                 17,500,658

52.       Tajikistan                                             9,537,645

53.       Tanzania                                            59,734,218

54.       Timor-Leste                                           1,318,445

55.       Tonga                                                       105,695

56.       Turkmenistan                                        6,031,200

57.       Tuvalu                                                    11,792

58.       Uganda                                               45,741,007

59.       Uzbekistan                                          33,469,203

60.       Vanuatu                                                307,145

61.       Yemen                                                 29,825,964

62.       Zambia                                               18,383,955

63.       Zimbabwe                                           14,862,924

https://www.foxnews.com/world/what-countries-have-not-declared-any-known-cases-coronavirus

Have they tested anyone and received results back?

That is part of the problem, here.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1759 on: March 16, 2020, 06:15:57 pm »
CNN International
@cnni
·
10m
A novel coronavirus vaccine trial in the US has now given a dose to its first participant, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases announced Monday

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1239613170265870342

I saw the video elsewhere that actually showed them injecting this woman in Washington state.

I'm not sure if CNN has it, I saw it elsewhere.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-16-20-intl-hnk/h_6315382240d96163d4d4cbe0b9aafb25?utm_content=2020-03-16T18%3A03%3A04&utm_medium=social&utm_term=link&utm_source=twCNNi

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1760 on: March 16, 2020, 06:17:56 pm »
@TomSea

Thank you for the articles on soap.  I have been criticized for not using hand sanitizers -- the alcohol wreaks havoc with my already severely dry skin -- but soap and water have worked fine for me.
I've been an advocate of old-fashioned bar soap for long before this (and there are no cases in my immediate area yet).
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1761 on: March 16, 2020, 06:22:28 pm »

Here's the thing about "cases doubling overnight:" there's a lag. There's always a lag. Plus, you factor in how many of these cases are coming from people being repatriated and traveling from infected areas.

That's something being lost in this discussion. We need numbers on community spread—namely, which areas are experiencing it and which ones are not.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1762 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:25 pm »

Meanwhile I hope someone counts the cost in economic and other hardship this unusual reaction will cause, because we should all know what are the complete consequences of this course our media are inspiring and our leaders are pursuing.

It's utter foolishness! the economy will be in the gutter in 2 weeks, and ppl are cheering it. Businesses are closing that will never reopen. Jobs will be lost. delivery systems are breaking down...  We're gonna be on our lips.

all for Chicken Little.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1763 on: March 16, 2020, 06:52:03 pm »
It's utter foolishness! the economy will be in the gutter in 2 weeks, and ppl are cheering it. Businesses are closing that will never reopen. Jobs will be lost. delivery systems are breaking down...  We're gonna be on our lips.

all for Chicken Little.

It's as if the MSM wants this to happen.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1764 on: March 16, 2020, 06:56:53 pm »

all for Chicken Little.
I agree. We still don't have any decent numbers because 80% (for what the statistic is worth) will experience mild symptoms, similar to a cold, and will likely dismiss those symptoms as just that.

If that is the case, and only those presenting with the worst symptoms are being tested, what we are seeing is the worst case scenario in numbers, when reality would present a far lower mortality rate.

Limits on the number of available test kits would ensure those would be used on cases where symptoms were severe enough to suspect the COVID-19 infection, while those assuming it is a cold are just getting by with OTC cold remedies and recovering without ever ticking the meter.

I know, I, for one, (like millions of others with no insurance) would not be running off to the doctor or ER to spend up to a grand to get tested for something I am recovering from, I'll just stay home until I am well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #1765 on: March 16, 2020, 06:56:58 pm »
Have they tested anyone and received results back?

That is part of the problem, here.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Exactly Joe.  Exactly.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1766 on: March 16, 2020, 07:08:20 pm »
It's as if the MSM wants this to happen.

Gee, ya think?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1767 on: March 16, 2020, 07:11:40 pm »

I repeat.............. I am talking about science and healthcare professionals, not the media, nor the overreactive public.

This is different.  We will recover, but this is different.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1768 on: March 16, 2020, 07:15:22 pm »
Julie Bosman
@juliebosman
Wow.

“Respirators, ventilators, all of the equipment — try getting it yourselves,” Mr. Trump told the governors during the conference call. via
@jmartNYT

Is this a bad response?

Not if you look at the context in which it is written.  Trump went on to say, “We will be backing you, but try getting it yourselves. Point of sales, much better, much more direct if you can get it yourself.”  This is the correct response.  The governors are responsible for the welfare of their prospective States.  They are ultimately in charge of securing what their State needs.  And if they are having difficulty getting something, at that point then they should call the federal government.  Makes perfect sense.

I am so sick and tired of seeing DU trash posted on these boards, @TomSfea .  Can you give it a rest?  Or better yet, do some friggin' research and find out what Trump actually said instead of trusting what some left-wing idiot tweeted without context.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:16:09 pm by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

« Reply #1769 on: March 16, 2020, 07:23:37 pm »
This is insane. I got a notification on my Fox News app about some actor I never heard of contracting corona.

Here’s the problem. At Cornell university they have an incredible piece of scientific equipment known as the tunneling electron microscope. Now, this microscope is so powerful that by firing electrons you can actually see images of the atom—the infinitesimally minute building block of our universe.

If I were using that microscope right now, I still wouldn’t be able to locate my interest in this constantly breathless reporting about every new case of corona. (Yes, that was an intentional pun on beer.)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1770 on: March 16, 2020, 07:38:04 pm »
I repeat.............. I am talking about science and healthcare professionals, not the media, nor the overreactive public.

This is different.  We will recover, but this is different.

No, it really isn't.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1771 on: March 16, 2020, 07:43:59 pm »
Gee, ya think?

Of course they are -- the MSM has a story to cover every day that is the story of the decade.  They will sensationalize as much as they can as long as they can also emphasize that somehow this is Trump's fault.

The DEMS are jumping for joy -- the economy is tanking, Americans will be out of work, companies will close, unemployment will rise and since the border still isn't closed -- he'll have virtually nothing to run on.  I wonder which DEM conspired with China? -- sorry folks -- that is what it looks like -- Russian collusion and impeachment didn't work.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #1772 on: March 16, 2020, 07:48:08 pm »
No, it really isn't.

We'll have to disagree on this one.

Addition: I'm talking about the COVID-19 verses flu comparisons. This isn't just another flue. Regarding the reaction to it there's lots of room for who knows what is the best course of action.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:53:31 pm by DB »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #1773 on: March 16, 2020, 07:53:21 pm »
We'll have to disagree on this one.

In the face of martial law? In the face of destroying uncountable businesses? In the face of putting the whole country on the damn dole?

It ain't no different.

Offline DB

« Reply #1774 on: March 16, 2020, 07:54:20 pm »
In the face of martial law? In the face of destroying uncountable businesses? In the face of putting the whole country on the damn dole?

It ain't no different.

I modified my post above. I don't know if that changes anything for you.