Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79643 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #1575 on: March 14, 2020, 04:21:21 pm »
While this virus is something new and different, something seemingly more random than falling down or not looking both ways before crossing the street, so far the number of deaths from the coronavirus are statistically insignificant compared to other causes of death in the US.

Maybe it is just me, but I really don't understand the panic.

That's right.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1576 on: March 14, 2020, 04:27:00 pm »
Tom Cotton
@SenTomCotton
·
Mar 11
It get worse.

A New Jersey mayor told Pallone in person that more masks were needed. The mayor didn’t know Pallone—a New Jersey representative—was the very reason first responders had a mask shortage in the first place.

@FrankPallone is a disgrace.

Then, he links to an article:
.... Wahler said Piscataway has ordered 5,000 face masks for the township's first responders but suppliers have run out.

"If our first responders can't get it, how can the public get it?" he asked.

Wahler also said the township has to revise its proposed budget based on the lower bookings at township hotels and lower occupancy tax revenues.

https://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/news/health/2020/03/09/coronoavirus-could-have-unforeseen-consequences-nj-families-more/5001197002/

I'm not sure if the article is directly connected to or confirms what Cotton says but good to know. He seems to be trying to set the record straight.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1577 on: March 14, 2020, 04:28:32 pm »
South Korea’s coronavirus response is the opposite of China and Italy – and it’s working
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3075164/south-koreas-coronavirus-response-opposite-china-and
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1578 on: March 14, 2020, 05:39:32 pm »
I saw a chart, where the US leads virtually everyone is beds for patients. That's kind of a scary thought actually, supposedly some of these countries have had problems having a hospital bed for patients.

-----------

I might remind some, this thread started in Mid-January, it's gained about 30 pages over the last week, obviously, however one characterizes it, this is a big story... to me, this may be the biggest news story since 9/11.

Since, there is a medical and health risk involved, we asked that it get moved to health and education.

So, yes, I think I have the right to at least, meekly comment on it and what is going on. Here, the streets are largely empty, stores are empty, Oh, Look there, Walgreen's isn't, bizarre, long line last night and they were sold out of a lot.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 05:40:41 pm by TomSea »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1579 on: March 14, 2020, 05:40:27 pm »
Older or Unhealthy: The first 48 U.S. coronavirus deaths in detail
Early American fatalities of the coronavirus are mostly elderly or suffering from health issues.
By Sharyl Attkisson
Last Updated:  March 14, 2020 - 9:09amRest of article enumerates the deceased, noting that all were over 65 and/or had underlying health conditions.

Thanks for the link Mountaineer.  I've been looking for this for days now.  Maybe @TomSea might temper down his fear factor tactics a tad now.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1580 on: March 14, 2020, 05:43:32 pm »
They're going to milk this as long as they can... probably until people start getting restless enough to start causing trouble. You think public gatherings are bad, wait until they turn into public mobs!

There's a chance more people will die from murders and suicides from Cornovirus induced Cabin Fever than the disease itself, if this madness sustains for any length of time.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #1581 on: March 14, 2020, 05:48:18 pm »
   All these sports nuts are having to pay attention to their wives now, so I also expect the divorce rate to shoot up in America.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1582 on: March 14, 2020, 05:50:53 pm »
   All these sports nuts are having to pay attention to their wives now, so I also expect the divorce rate to shoot up in America.

How about all those local TV sportscasters.  They going to twittle their thumbs 5 minutes between 6:15- 6:20?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1583 on: March 14, 2020, 05:59:25 pm »
How about all those local TV sportscasters.  They going to twittle their thumbs 5 minutes between 6:15- 6:20?
NFL free agency is still taking place. No physical contact is needed for that. I've been seeing a lot of those news reports lately.

It helps maintain at least some semblance of normality.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1584 on: March 14, 2020, 05:59:45 pm »
Trump’s Surgeon General Jerome Adams Advises Hospitals to Cancel Elective Surgeries
written by J.C McCallum March 14, 2020

The Trump administration via U.S. Surgeon General Jerome Adams just advised hospitals to cancel elective procedures in preparation for the coronavirus.

Adams made the striking request on Twitter and he gave some solid reasons. The main one is to flatten the curve.

We know we will soon see our hospitals flooded with patients – treatment works but as we saw in Italy and China the key is to have access to hospital beds and equipment. A sudden influx will overload the system so you can expect to see more hospitals start doing this.

Read more at: https://newsthud.com/trumps-surgeon-general-jerome-adams-advises-hospitals-to-cancel-elective-surgeries/

The Deep State and Elitists at work again.  *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 06:04:14 pm by TomSea »

Online corbe

« Reply #1585 on: March 14, 2020, 06:14:04 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1586 on: March 14, 2020, 07:44:44 pm »
Just for comparison's sake:

"...Italy’s total cases now tally 21,157."
https://apnews.com/fd1743f8b54b17310cc6e4b3445f2914

Gov. DeWine: 100,000 believed to have coronavirus in Ohio, number projected to double every six days
https://www.foxnews.com/media/governor-dewine-100k-believed-to-have-cv-in-ohio-number-will-double-every-six-days

So, per these facts, Ohio has a lot more cases of Coronavirus, yes, I'm sure there are many undiagnosed cases in Italy but still, the difference is stunning.

I'm sure, the Ohio figure is overblown and not a slight on the good Governor there, I'm sure he's alright but still.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1587 on: March 14, 2020, 07:49:34 pm »
Just for comparison's sake:

So, per these facts, Ohio has a lot more cases of Coronavirus, yes, I'm sure there are many undiagnosed cases in Italy but still, the difference is stunning.

I'm sure, the Ohio figure is overblown and not a slight on the good Governor there, I'm sure he's alright but still.
Obviously Trump's Fault.  We got 'im now!

Pardon my French someone's ass is going to handed to oblivion. Roomba.

If you had any factual relevance to your posts, meaning that yougivefuckalot you might have some standing. Might. Trump has made the NithCircus to a back alley comedy act.

He is a taker. I am a giver.

He hasn't taken away anything I have already given.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 07:51:37 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1588 on: March 14, 2020, 08:03:10 pm »
CDC’s Worst-Case Coronavirus Model: 214 Million Infected, 1.7 Million Dead
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/03/cdcs-worst-case-coronavirus-model-210m-infected-1-7m-dead.html

I'll repeat as said in the other thread, even if somehow one says, well, 97.5 who die are the elderly,  of the other millions infected, a lot of them will apparently still need medicines and maybe hospital stays.  How does the system handle that?

And no, CDC is not gospel and what they say does not necessarily mean it will come true.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1589 on: March 14, 2020, 09:00:47 pm »
RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel tested for coronavirus after symptoms

Republican National Committee (RNC) Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel has been tested for the coronavirus after experiencing a fever and flu-like symptoms, the organization said on Saturday.

“Last night, Chairwoman McDaniel began experiencing a fever and flu-like symptoms, and she went to her local hospital in Michigan for treatment. Flu and strep tests were administered and came back negative,” Communications Director Michael Ahrens said.

“Her doctor determined a test for COVID-19 was necessary given her symptoms,” he said.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rnc-chairwomen-ronna-mcdaniel-tested-coronavirus

This is who Donna Brazile told to "go to ...."....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:01:36 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1590 on: March 14, 2020, 11:01:32 pm »
Retired Senator Orrin Hatch of all people, retweeted this out:
coronavirus Mar. 10, 2020
What Does ‘Social Distancing’ Really Mean?
By Katie Heaney  @KTHeaney

As COVID-19 continues to spread across the world, public-health recommendations grow more stringent: Italy is currently on lockdown, while in the United States, several states have declared states of emergency, schools are closing, events are being canceled, and stockpiling continues. Healthy citizens’ movements remain largely unrestricted, and confirmed cases in the U.S. appear relatively low. But we know domestic testing for coronavirus is woefully limited, and public-health experts expect continued community transmission across the country — particularly if we don’t take more drastic measures, like social distancing.

Social distancing refers to a public-health protection measure meant to reduce and slow transmission of disease. Currently, social distancing is neither required nor enforced in the United States, though sick people are expected to self-quarantine and seek medical help. (It is not yet clear how people without paid sick leave will be able to do so.) But as a recent Vox graph shows, protective measures like self-quarantine and canceled events can vastly reduce the number of COVID-19 cases, and experts say it’s one of the best public-health measures we have. So what does social distancing look like? (Can you still have friends over? Can you go to the gym?) We got in touch with Lori Uscher-Pines, a senior health-policy researcher at the RAND Corporation, a nonprofit global policy think tank, to learn more.

Why is social distancing important?

In an infectious-disease outbreak, there are two types of intervention: pharmaceutical (like vaccines and anti-virals) and non-pharmaceutical, explains Uscher-Pines. Social distancing is one of the best — and the only — preemptive, non-pharmaceutical measures available on the larger population level. “Social distancing plays a big role before the medical community can create vaccines and appropriate treatments,” says Uscher-Pines. “It’s one of the only tools that we have to really slow down the progress of an epidemic or pandemic.”

Read more at: https://www.thecut.com/2020/03/what-is-social-distancing.html

This is a real buzz-phrase going around. So, sort of a public service message.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1591 on: March 14, 2020, 11:45:48 pm »
Don't care about the entertainment business.  I am traveling.   I am going to dollar-movie theaters to see old releases.  Don't know why you feel the need to panic over this.

in that case

Online libertybele

« Reply #1592 on: March 14, 2020, 11:56:22 pm »
South Korea’s coronavirus response is the opposite of China and Italy – and it’s working
https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3075164/south-koreas-coronavirus-response-opposite-china-and

Thanks for the info.  One thing that S. Korea is doing -- people ARE wearing masks.  So the CDC was wrong to tell people not to wear masks. If I recall correctly, today it was mentioned during the press conference that companies will be making 30 million masks a month.  So -- hopefully, in time people will have masks to protect them.

Unfortunately, the masks I purchased a couple of years ago expired -- I had no idea that there was an expiration date on them.  Haven't heard from @Victoria33  in awhile -- something she may be able to clarify.  Would wearing an expired mask be better than nothing??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1593 on: March 15, 2020, 12:03:33 am »
in that case

I am not sitting in a burning building.  And neither are you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

« Reply #1594 on: March 15, 2020, 12:06:28 am »
Didn't realize Trump was assigned the task of ensuring your local supermarket stocked enough toilet paper for any contingency.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776
    Donald J. Trump @realDonaldTrump
    Leadership: Whatever happens, you're responsible. If it doesn't happen, you're responsible.
    1:01 PM · Nov 8, 2013

But since you seem to want to put this off on Trump, the DOW today is up 17% since Trump took office.  For someone who chooses to put it all on the President, a little praise is in order, don't you think?

"Mr. President, I want to thank you so much. I said, what did I do? He said my 401K is down 20% in 2 weeks and my wife thinks I'm, for the first time, a financial genius."

Offline DB

« Reply #1595 on: March 15, 2020, 12:15:46 am »
Thanks for the info.  One thing that S. Korea is doing -- people ARE wearing masks.  So the CDC was wrong to tell people not to wear masks. If I recall correctly, today it was mentioned during the press conference that companies will be making 30 million masks a month.  So -- hopefully, in time people will have masks to protect them.

Unfortunately, the masks I purchased a couple of years ago expired -- I had no idea that there was an expiration date on them.  Haven't heard from @Victoria33  in awhile -- something she may be able to clarify.  Would wearing an expired mask be better than nothing??

The N95 type masks may have activated carbon for a filter. That carbon will absorb things from the air if not completely sealed. Once it absorbs too much it becomes saturated and doesn't filter things as well as it is rated for when later used.

Also note you can only use a mask once. 30 million masks a month isn't enough for a large population like SK.

« Reply #1596 on: March 15, 2020, 12:33:03 am »
@corbe
If we are cooped up inside for long I predict a baby boom.

Online libertybele

« Reply #1597 on: March 15, 2020, 12:39:31 am »
The N95 type masks may have activated carbon for a filter. That carbon will absorb things from the air if not completely sealed. Once it absorbs too much it becomes saturated and doesn't filter things as well as it is rated for when later used.

Also note you can only use a mask once. 30 million masks a month isn't enough for a large population like SK.

I have two types of masks the N95 type and anti-viral.  It is the anti-viral that has an expiration date.  Thanks for the info, I really didn't think about only using the mask once. 

We've decided not to venture out anymore and are staying home.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

« Reply #1598 on: March 15, 2020, 12:48:24 am »
   I certainly hope so @Once-Ler

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1599 on: March 15, 2020, 12:53:30 am »
Hoarding bros hoping to profiteer off coronavirus stuck with 17K bottles of hand sanitizer

NY Post by Dean Balsamini 3/14/2020

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/hoarding-bros-hoping-to-profiteer-off-coronavirus-stuck-with-17k-bottles-of-hand-sanitizer/

Brothers, can you spare a hand santizer?

Matt and Noah Colvin cooked up a get-rich scheme to glom all of the antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizers they could find after the first U.S. coronavirus was reported March 1 and make a killing on the re-sale, according to a New York Times interview.

The Colvins — piloting a silver SUV — snapped up all the sanitizers they could find across Tennessee and Kentucky. They thought they were on the road to Easy Street when the first 300 bottles of hand sanitizer they purchased sold out for between $8 and $70 a pop, which was “multiples higher than what he had bought them for,” the Times story said.

EBay is prohibiting any US sales of masks or sanitizer

The brothers cleaned out a Dollar Tree, a Walmart, Staples and Home Depot and bought thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” the Times reported.

More at link.

Map of coronavirus cases in the US