Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79645 times)

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #1525 on: March 14, 2020, 02:22:10 am »
Is there any?
As a question?
Is there any Democrat, who does not have White Hair?
These guys are from the 1800s.
I have never met a Democrat who was born in 2000.
These guys are ancient.
Nancy Pelosi was born in 1840
and we still vote for he?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #1526 on: March 14, 2020, 02:24:38 am »
There's a way to make toilet paper from a square post-it note by folding it twice into a smaller square, tearing off the center corner, putting your finger through the hole, and going to town.  Then use the corner piece to clean your nails.

LOL!  I remember that skit, when somebody demonstrated what Melissa Etheridge suggested, how to only use one sheet... to save the environment.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online corbe

« Reply #1527 on: March 14, 2020, 02:25:06 am »
   This will also be like 2008 and instead of the consolidation of the Banks, we will witness the consolidation of the Bookies and a lot of insurance Fraud.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

« Reply #1528 on: March 14, 2020, 02:28:00 am »
   This will also be like 2008 and instead of the consolidation of the Banks, we will witness the consolidation of the Bookies and a lot of insurance Fraud.

Unlike 2008 the recovery ought to be swift when it starts.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1529 on: March 14, 2020, 03:13:21 am »
Jerusalem Post Breaking News
BREAKING NEWS
AP closes DC office after journalist shows coronavirus symptoms
By REUTERS   MARCH 14, 2020 03:13

The Associated Press is temporarily closing its office from Friday in Washington, D.C. after one of its staff journalists, who had direct contact with a possible coronavirus patient, showed some symptoms of illness, the AP reported.

The staffer was one of hundreds of journalists at a journalism convention last week in New Orleans where an attendee later tested positive for the coronavirus, the news agency said in a news report.

Read more at: https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/AP-closes-DC-office-after-journalist-shows-coronavirus-symptoms-620904

Man, that's amazing, the journalist probably caught it in New Orleans......unbelievable but I can understand containing it and then, others won't have to go through this.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #1530 on: March 14, 2020, 03:37:47 am »
AP is closing down, universities are closing, schools in several states are closing, sporting events have been delayed or cancelled .... at this rate, the U.S. may come to a stand still, which is exactly what the "team" that was introduced today during Trump's speech is trying to avoid.  Not finding fault with Trump .... but something we need to prepare for on an individual basis.  How to survive and get through this in the interim. Things are going to get worse, before they get better, that is becoming inevitable.

Yesterday, in my county we had 4 confirmed cases, with 1 death.  Today we have 8.  So this virus has doubled overnight. Schools are closed until the end of the month.  Hospitals are already at over capacity here and we have medical personnel already in quarantine.  Not so sure that temperature is going to halt this virus; we've been in the upper 80's.  Parts of Washington are relatively humid, so maybe it thrives in humidity?  FL is humid in the cooler months and extremely humid most of the time.

Only time will tell. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #1531 on: March 14, 2020, 04:40:41 am »
LOL!  I remember that skit, when somebody demonstrated what Melissa Etheridge suggested, how to only use one sheet... to save the environment.
IIRC itmwas Cheryl Crow?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1532 on: March 14, 2020, 06:58:39 am »
AP is closing down, universities are closing, schools in several states are closing, sporting events have been delayed or cancelled .... at this rate, the U.S. may come to a stand still, which is exactly what the "team" that was introduced today during Trump's speech is trying to avoid.  Not finding fault with Trump .... but something we need to prepare for on an individual basis.  How to survive and get through this in the interim. Things are going to get worse, before they get better, that is becoming inevitable.

Yesterday, in my county we had 4 confirmed cases, with 1 death.  Today we have 8.  So this virus has doubled overnight. Schools are closed until the end of the month.  Hospitals are already at over capacity here and we have medical personnel already in quarantine.  Not so sure that temperature is going to halt this virus; we've been in the upper 80's.  Parts of Washington are relatively humid, so maybe it thrives in humidity?  FL is humid in the cooler months and extremely humid most of the time.

Only time will tell.

The American entertainment business is dying.  Travel is closed.  Nobody is going to the theater.  Food buffets are shutting down.  On the flip side our grocery stores are barren so there is no point in shopping there.  When travel is closed and the places to travel to are closed or empty, stores along that route suffer too.  I don't think our economy is crippled yet, but how long can businesses afford to employ workers who are not needed until customers or stock return?   This could be very ugly.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 09:21:52 am by Once-Ler »

« Reply #1533 on: March 14, 2020, 08:28:05 am »
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemlee/grand-princess-coronavirus-testing

This Elderly Couple Got Evacuated From The Grand Princess — And Still Can’t Get Tested For The Coronavirus.

“We will be testing everyone on the ship,” said Vice President Mike Pence. But some passengers, now under quarantine in California, said their requests for testing have gone nowhere.

Salli Spoon, a 72-year-old retired Amtrak employee, and her husband Chuck aboard the Grand Princess.

Four days after the Grand Princess cruise ship docked, passengers now under quarantine in California expressed frustration that they have still not been tested for the coronavirus.

The Grand Princess’s ill-fated voyage sparked international alarm when 21 people on board tested positive for the virus, causing the ship to be held for days off the California coast en route back to San Francisco from Hawaii. Not long before, the coronavirus had spread through another cruise ship, the Diamond Princess, eventually infecting more than 700 people and killing eight.

Before the ship’s more than 3,000 passengers and crew members finally docked in Oakland on Monday, officials announced plans to take the US residents to four military bases for quarantines and screening. “We will be testing everyone on the ship,” Vice President Mike Pence said late last week. “We will be quarantining as necessary.”

But as the end of this week approached, some passengers said their repeated requests for testing have gone nowhere, making them anxious about whether they have the disease that has so far afflicted more than 128,000 people in a global outbreak that this week was declared an official pandemic.

She's wearing a blue cap.  Probably a rat anyways.  Shoulda' donated some money to Trump if you wanna get noticed Salli.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1534 on: March 14, 2020, 09:03:06 am »
Our house is pretty much surrounded by woods. There are plenty of leaves. We don't need no steekin' toilet paper.

Dang right.  For us red necks a half bath means the outdoors.  Advantages to living in areas secluded enough to do so.  I'd have no other way. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #1535 on: March 14, 2020, 09:27:37 am »
Alabama company gets approval to move forward with coronavirus test kits...

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/alabama-lab-gets-initial-approval-make-coronavirus-test-kits/NEX5OWAV4BF57HCPDZAGIUM6KI/

100,000 tests near approval to move out for the market...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

« Reply #1536 on: March 14, 2020, 09:49:00 am »
Alabama company gets approval to move forward with coronavirus test kits...

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/alabama-lab-gets-initial-approval-make-coronavirus-test-kits/NEX5OWAV4BF57HCPDZAGIUM6KI/

100,000 tests near approval to move out for the market...

Great news.  Unfortunately, at this point, those tests probably won't prevent the spread, but they will confirm what made people sick or died from.  Life moves at you fast.  It's nice to have a leader in those times.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1537 on: March 14, 2020, 10:58:40 am »
Scorching read in the Atlantic, I read both sides or iow, I will read everything. This is a pretty intellectually detailed read and not my field of expertise.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/peter-wehner-trump-presidency-over/607969/

Earlier this week, Anthony Fauci, the widely respected director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases whose reputation for honesty and integrity have been only enhanced during this crisis, admitted in congressional testimony that the United States is still not providing adequate testing for the coronavirus. “It is failing. Let’s admit it.” He added, “The idea of anybody getting [testing] easily, the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. I think it should be, but we’re not."

We also know the World Health Organization had working tests that the United States refused, and researchers at a project in Seattle tried to conduct early tests for the coronavirus but were prevented from doing so by federal officials. (Doctors at the research project eventually decided to perform coronavirus tests without federal approval.)

But that’s not all. The president reportedly ignored early warnings of the severity of the virus and grew angry at a CDC official who in February warned that an outbreak was inevitable. The Trump administration dismantled the National Security Council’s global-health office, whose purpose was to address global pandemics; we’re now paying the price for that. “We worked very well with that office,” Fauci told Congress. “It would be nice if the office was still there.” We may face a shortage of ventilators and medical supplies, and hospitals may soon be overwhelmed, certainly if the number of coronavirus cases increases at a rate anything like that in countries such as Italy. (This would cause not only needless coronavirus-related deaths, but deaths from those suffering from other ailments who won’t have ready access to hospital care.)

@Once-Ler  and everyone else,

Now, I'm feeling more like staying in and taking precautions because we've got to be more self-reliant....also, I was hearing, the "normal" flu season will end in early April... so, seek to stay put for most of the time being when possible?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:10:41 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1538 on: March 14, 2020, 11:08:27 am »
Here's an informative read I'm still going through..."zoonotic diseases"...

Nautilus:

The Man Who Saw the Pandemic Coming
Will the world now wake up to the global threat of zoonotic diseases?
By Kevin Berger March 12, 2020

How did the current coronavirus pass from a bat to humans?

We don’t know specifically, but presumably the virus was being shed by the animal in the market, and humans were proximal. Or it could have been that people were directly handling the animal. There may have been a secondary source. In the 2002 SARS outbreak in China, we didn’t see people’s direct exposure to bats as the source of infection. There was a secondary source, a wildlife animal, the civet cat.

Could the transmission have resulted from people eating the wildlife?

Typically the preparation of the animal is where you have exposure. By the time it’s cooked and prepared, the virus would have been dead. It’s more common that transmission is through the animal shedding or people slaughtering the animal, when they’re exposed to bodily fluids, blood, and secretions. With the avian influenza from poultry, a lot of the exposure and infections go back to the preparation of chicken for cooking. In Egypt, for instance, when you look at who was infected, more common than not it was a woman, directly responsible for slaughtering and preparing the animal

Do bats have a particularly high potential for spillover?

Read more at: http://nautil.us/issue/83/intelligence/the-man-who-saw-the-pandemic-coming

This looks like a rather scholarly article too, it's not a critique from what I see but is talking more about what has happened.

Bats are often known as carriers of rabies and of course, the bubonic plague itself.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:09:20 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1539 on: March 14, 2020, 11:15:09 am »
Some lady wrote this, this is probably accurate too but just because others have miffed a response doesn't okay others doing it.
    When Joe Biden was in charge of the H1N1 Swine Flu epidemic, this happened in America:

60.8 MILLION infected

274,304 hospitalized

12,469 died

By contrast, President @realDonaldTrump
     has led, taking unprecedented action to stop the coronavirus & protect Americans!

https://twitter.com/kayleighmcenany/status/1238464733294006273

And then, this too: 

By Newt Gingrich | Gingrich360.com

The COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic poses two threats: public health and economic.

I am living in Italy, where my wife Callista is the Ambassador to the Holy See.

I have watched first-hand as the Italian government has worked hard to contain the coronavirus by imposing strong public health measures to try to get the epidemic under control. These measures will lead to significant economic challenges

More:  https://newsthud.com/newt-gingrich-currently-living-in-italy-on-what-us-must-do-on-coronavirus-response/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #1540 on: March 14, 2020, 11:31:51 am »
This might go too far.... but... it's been in the back of my mine, what if one of our members here, ended up getting this thing? Or someone we know....??
You’re Likely to Get the Coronavirus
Most cases are not life-threatening, which is also what makes the virus a historic challenge to contain.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/02/covid-vaccine/607000/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1541 on: March 14, 2020, 11:34:40 am »
Right now, my state is the last to be Corona-free (except for my Dr. Corona profile pic, of course). No confirmed cases yet.  Maybe West Virginians have better hygiene than the rest of the country. Or maybe it's just the pepperoni rolls.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: March 14, 2020, 11:38:00 am »
National Guard activated to combat coronavirus spread in six states

Military Times 3/13/2020

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/coronavirus/2020/03/13/national-guard-activated-to-combat-coronavirus-spread-in-six-states-more-to-follow/

Around 400 National Guard personnel have been activated across six states to support operations to stem the spread of novel coronavirus, the National Guard Bureau said in a press release.

The governors of Florida, Iowa, Louisiana, New York, Rhode Island and Washington have all activated components of their Army and Air National Guard. Guardsmen in California and Maryland are also expected to join their states’ efforts today.

“The National Guard is fully involved at the local, state, and federal level in the planning and execution of the nation’s response to COVID-19,” a National Guard Bureau spokesperson said in the release. “In times of emergency, the National Guard Bureau serves as a federal coordinating agency should a state require assistance from the National Guard of another state.”

More at link.

« Reply #1543 on: March 14, 2020, 11:38:44 am »
@Once-Ler  and everyone else,

Now, I'm feeling more like staying in and taking precautions because we've got to be more self-reliant....also, I was hearing, the "normal" flu season will end in early April... so, seek to stay put for most of the time being when possible?

I am not a virologist @TomSea  I don't know how we stay safe. It's the kind of a question a US Pandemic Response Team might be able to answer but, sadly, they were fired a few years ago.  I'm just grateful my President doesn't think the victims of a Fake News Hoax died to purposefully make him look indifferent.  My rat Governor recommends

WIDeptHealthServices @DHSWI

Recommendations include cancelling events w/250+ people & not traveling to areas in the U.S. w/sustained community transmission. If you do travel to places w/sustained community transmission, isolate in your home for 14 days. #COVID19
11:53 AM - Mar 12, 2020
I'm going to risk the possibility that the rats don't want me to die, even though I didn't vote for them, that scientist try to give the best advice possible despite their political associations, and that God would want me to consider this even if it made his chosen redeemer look incompetent.

I point this out because it seems like faith in our public institutions has been severly dimished with some Americans reduced to believing divine guidance will spring from a deeply flawed soul.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 11:54:13 am by Once-Ler »

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1544 on: March 14, 2020, 12:32:37 pm »

I point this out because it seems like faith in our public institutions has been severly dimished with some Americans reduced to believing divine guidance will spring from a deeply flawed soul.

Just a little retrospection at this point.....

Number of Days of Virus has been reported in the United States- 74. (3-5 cycles)
Number of Deaths (at least reported) of people under 50 without preexisting condtions in the United States = Zero.  This seems to be the most under-reported aspect of this crisis. 

Stock Market Loses- $6T last week alone.  People have been whipped into a frenzy of fear. with runs on stores, hoarding ..  I tell you, people have gone absolutley mad over this shit. 

How about some common sense for a change:

(1) Instituionalize best-practice  public health measures like we do for a flu epidemic, including self-quarantine when symptomatic, or if you beleive you may have remotely come in contact with a COVID-19 positive person,
(2) Most important- Direct resouces to mobilize to focus and protect those who are at risk of death from this Virus..  Nursing homes, elderly, the chronically sick. 
(3) 100% urgency toward development of vaccine, and getting the test kits needed so that Epidemiologist can work the data toward as much containment that they can do.

Too many Chicken Littles, Pols with agendas, and a complict MSM are turning this into a needless monumental crisis.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2020, 01:15:18 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #1545 on: March 14, 2020, 01:08:23 pm »
Just a little retrospection at this point.....

Number of Days of Virus has been reported in the United States- 74. (3-5 cycles)
Number of Deaths (at least reported) of people under 50 without preexisting condtions in the United States = Zero.  This seems to be the most under-reported aspect of this crisis. 

Stock Market Loses- $6T last week alone.  People have been whipped into a frenzy of fear. with runs on stores, hoarding ..  I tell you, people have gone absolutley mad over this shit.

I agree.  Sadly recognizing the wide spread hysteria does not inhibit panic selling on wallstreet and panic buying at the grocery store.  My 401K is decimated and my local store is out of TP.  I blame Trump.

How about some common sense for a change:

(1) Instituionalize best-practice  public health measures like we do for a flu epidemic, including self-quarantine when symptomatic.
(2) Most important- Direct resouces to mobilize to focus and protect those who are at risk of death from this Virus..  Nursing homes, elderly, the chronically sick. 
(3) 100% urgency toward development of vaccine, and getting the test kits needed so that Epidemiologist can work the data toward as much containment that they can do.

Too many Chicken Littles, Pols with agendas, and a complict MSM are turning this into a needless monumental crisis.

Actually the MSM is reporting the crisis not creating it.  I also believe which orange-tinted blubber-butt allowed it to become a crisis is indisputable.  Keeping in mind the deep distrust most American's feel after 3 years of broken promises, I don't see a clear solution except resigning and hoping people forgive the new President Pence.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #1546 on: March 14, 2020, 01:19:58 pm »

I agree.  Sadly recognizing the wide spread hysteria does not inhibit panic selling on wallstreet and panic buying at the grocery store.  My 401K is decimated and my local store is out of TP.  I blame Trump.

Actually the MSM is reporting the crisis not creating it.  I also believe which orange-tinted blubber-butt allowed it to become a crisis is indisputable.  Keeping in mind the deep distrust most American's feel after 3 years of broken promises, I don't see a clear solution except resigning and hoping people forgive the new President Pence.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1547 on: March 14, 2020, 02:19:52 pm »
I would like to know why, when even in the hardest-hit locations around the world infection rates have never even approached 1% of the population, why there are so many so-called "experts" predicting a majority of Americans will get it? A majority of Americans don't even get the flu each year.

It's bad enough that we're taking away people's distractions, throwing wrenches into their everyday lives, and making them anxious. Baseless speculation such as this does nothing but foment panic.

I'll also add: so far, outside Washington, the death rate for this virus is stunningly low here in America compared to the rest of the world. Thousands of cases, not even counting those who haven't been diagnosed yet, and last I checked you could count the number of deaths on your fingers. Whatever we are doing for treatment, it's working.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #1548 on: March 14, 2020, 02:21:13 pm »
I would like to know why, when even in the hardest-hit locations around the world infection rates have never even approached 1% of the population, why there are so many so-called "experts" predicting a majority of Americans will get it? A majority of Americans don't even get the flu each year.

It's bad enough that we're taking away people's distractions, throwing wrenches into their everyday lives, and making them anxious. Baseless speculation such as this does nothing but foment panic.

I'll also add: so far, outside Washington, the death rate for this virus is stunningly low here in America compared to the rest of the world. Thousands of cases, not even counting those who haven't been diagnosed yet, and last I checked you could count the number of deaths on your fingers. Whatever we are doing for treatment, it's working.

Add the fact this virus supposedly doesn't do so well in warm/hot weather.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1549 on: March 14, 2020, 02:24:31 pm »
Agreed, @jmyrlefuller

I also don't recall that during all those previous "pandemics" - H1N1, Swine Flu, Avian Flu, Ebola, Zika, etc., ad nauseam - the government or anyone else educated the public so quickly after the disease was discovered. This time around, we have been encouraged for weeks about hand-washing, covering a cough with the crook of the elbow, etc. And we certainly didn't shut down sporting events, schools and churches in the past. All of these steps, however extreme, probably will end up in a much smaller infection rate than some (in the media and DNC) would like.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org