Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79640 times)

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #1175 on: March 11, 2020, 06:39:28 pm »
Besides the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo closing (which is HUGE and SERIES), St Thomas Episcopal school closed for 2 weeks, as there is a possibility that one of it's students has been exposed to the Corona virus.

In all seriousness, though. closing the rodeo after it has already been running is a big deal.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1176 on: March 11, 2020, 06:39:51 pm »
I don't believe the word pandemic has anything to do with the fatality rate.

Epidemiologist use the term Mortality Rate.  Basically deaths divided by cases.  A Pandemic is a term to describe a disease (viral or bacteriological) that is wide-spread, generally globally.  Heck, that could apply to a common cold as well as Black Plague.

You are right though.  When most of the population hears that word they go bat shit crazy.  Visions of 1340's Europe and 1918 immedately come to their mind.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:51:12 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1177 on: March 11, 2020, 06:43:39 pm »
Many Americans aren’t panicking over coronavirus. They’re panicking over others panicking.

How much toilet paper does it take to stave off the coronavirus?

by Carl Durrek  March 11, 2020

Stocks plummeting. Events canceled. Toilet paper flying off the shelves. It’s the type of panic one might expect from a Hollywood production about a disease ravaging the world and leaving millions dead in its wake. The problem is, the coronavirus isn’t that disease. Compared to Hollywood visions, it’s minuscule. Compared the death toll of the flu. it’s barely existent.

With this known by many and becoming known by more, why can’t I buy toilet paper without waiting in a long line of other people waiting to buy toilet paper? I didn’t know, so I started asking. Unlike everyone else, I was actually out of toilet paper. But the rest of the people I talked to in line had toilet paper. They just wanted more.

Some said they wanted to get the essentials before there was a quarantine. I didn’t try to dissuade them or share the facts about the coronavirus which are, frankly, unimpressive from a mass extinction perspective. But the majority of people I asked said they weren’t concerned about the coronavirus or quarantines, but were more worried about other people worrying about the coronavirus or quarantines. Looking up and down the line, I realized they had a valid point.

<..snip..>

https://noqreport.com/2020/03/11/many-americans-arent-panicking-over-coronavirus-theyre-panicking-over-others-panicking/
"We have nothing to fear but fear itself...."

Well, almost nothing. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1178 on: March 11, 2020, 06:44:39 pm »
Kevin McCarthy
@GOPLeader
Democrats are trying to keep President Trump—or any future president—from being able to swiftly issue travel restrictions in the face of health threats like coronavirus.

And the worst part is they're trying to sneak it into a totally unrelated bill, just to restrict debate.

https://twitter.com/GOPLeader/status/1237795041562767360

Read Version, ITALY:

ICUs 'should stop treating elderly if coronavirus outbreak worsens'
Chris Pleasance

The death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in Italy has jumped in the last 24 hours by 196 to 827 as a top Italian doctor said intensive care wards should place an age limit on beds.

Rather than admit patients on a 'first come first served' basis, hospitals should swap to 'catastrophe medicine' guidelines - typically used in war zones and during natural disasters - where those with the greatest chance of survival are given priority.

The guidelines should apply to all patients needing intensive care treatment and not just those suffering from coronavrius, according to guidance published this week by the Society of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care (SAARI).

More: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8101135/Intensive-care-units-stop-treating-elderly-coronavirus-outbreak-worsens.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Offline DB

« Reply #1179 on: March 11, 2020, 07:06:33 pm »
Read Version, ITALY:

Hmmm.... That's pretty ugly...

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1180 on: March 11, 2020, 07:10:49 pm »
That map appears to be out of date.  The following link from John Hopkins is continuously updated:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Florida has had 28 confirmed cases with 2 deaths.

That Johns Hopkins link is the best thing I've seen.

Thanks for linking it. @thackney:beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1181 on: March 11, 2020, 07:14:00 pm »
Besides the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo closing (which is HUGE and SERIES), St Thomas Episcopal school closed for 2 weeks, as there is a possibility that one of it's students has been exposed to the Corona virus.

In all seriousness, though. closing the rodeo after it has already been running is a big deal.

All the Maple Festivals in Ohio have been cancelled by the ODNR.

That's a pretty big deal too.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline thackney

« Reply #1182 on: March 11, 2020, 07:15:31 pm »

Houston Rodeo canceled amid growing concerns over coronavirus
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,394734.msg2166098.html#msg2166098
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online corbe

« Reply #1183 on: March 11, 2020, 07:16:47 pm »
   I'm pretty sure that Fiesta ~ San Antonio (largest yearly festival) is about to be cancelled.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1184 on: March 11, 2020, 07:39:36 pm »
   I'm pretty sure that Fiesta ~ San Antonio (largest yearly festival) is about to be cancelled.
Several cities have cancelled St. Patrick's Day parades, which means only that large groups people will be gathering earlier in the day than usual in close, confined spaces - breathing, sneezing and coughing on one another -  to drink vast quantities of beer. That should solve the problem!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online berdie

« Reply #1185 on: March 11, 2020, 07:40:15 pm »
It appears that this virus is highly contagious. So I don't have a problem with events being cancelled to try to contain it. I think it a wise move until more can be determined.

Online berdie

« Reply #1186 on: March 11, 2020, 07:42:03 pm »
Several cities have cancelled St. Patrick's Day parades, which means only that large groups people will be gathering earlier in the day than usual in close, confined spaces - breathing, sneezing and coughing on one another -  to drink vast quantities of beer. That should solve the problem!

I'm gonna check in on the value of green beer in these circumstances. :laugh:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #1187 on: March 11, 2020, 07:51:26 pm »
Republicans under quarantine for coronavirus so far:

* Ted Cruz
* Paul Gosar
* Doug Collins
* Matt Gaetz
* Mark Meadows

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/03/senior-republicans-quarantine-coronavirus-200310094312225.html
Five senior Republicans in self-quarantine over coronavirus

it's al jazeera so it's probably just fake news.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1188 on: March 11, 2020, 07:53:44 pm »
I'm gonna check in on the value of green beer in these circumstances. :laugh:
I still plan to pick up a 12-pack of Corona next time I'm at the store, just because I can.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1189 on: March 11, 2020, 08:09:06 pm »
Side story and interesting because most of us know who Jim Baker, the televangelist is and... we also discussed colloidal silver I believe earlier in this thread:
Missouri is suing a televangelist who falsely suggested on his show that colloidal silver could cure coronavirus patients
Michelle Mark

Missouri's attorney general sued the televangelist Jim Bakker over his show's false claims that colloidal silver could cure COVID-19.

The state of Missouri has sued the televangelist Jim Bakker over his show's false claims that colloidal silver could cure the novel coronavirus.

The US Food and Drug Administration has made clear there are currently no substances, products, drugs, or vaccines that can cure, treat, or prevent COVID-19.

Furthermore, there are no credible scientific studies backing up claims that colloidal silver has health benefits. In fact, the substance can cause potentially serious side effects.

More at: https://www.insider.com/missouri-sues-televangelist-jim-bakker-false-coronavirus-cure-colloidal-silver-2020-3

So, it's up to each of us to decide.

I heard on the radio the other day that watch out with kidney failure over colloidal silver, maybe one would have to use a lot of it for that to happen.

I had some of this colloidal silver a few years ago, got it at the health store.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #1190 on: March 11, 2020, 08:09:15 pm »
I still plan to pick up a 12-pack of Corona next time I'm at the store, just because I can.

I picked up a six pack of Corona last week, hoping it was on sale.

It wasn't.

Nonetheless,  :beer:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #1191 on: March 11, 2020, 08:16:52 pm »
Epidemiologist use the term Mortality Rate.  Basically deaths divided by cases.  A Pandemic is a term to describe a disease (viral or bacteriological) that is wide-spread, generally globally.  Heck, that could apply to a common cold as well as Black Plague.

You are right though.  When most of the population hears that word they go bat shit crazy.  Visions of 1340's Europe and 1918 immedately come to their mind.

What is a pandemic?

Declaring a pandemic has nothing to do with changes to the characteristics of a disease, but is instead associated with concerns over its geographic spread. According to the World Health Organization, a pandemic is declared when a new disease for which people do not have immunity spreads around the world beyond expectations.

How does the WHO decide whether to call it a pandemic?

Cases that involve travellers who have been infected in a foreign country and have then returned to their home country, or who have been infected by that traveller, known as the “index case”, do not count towards declaring a pandemic. There needs to be a second wave of infection from person to person throughout the community.

Once a pandemic is declared, it becomes more likely that community spread will eventually happen, and governments and health systems need to ensure they are prepared for that.

An epidemic, on the other hand, is a sudden increase in cases of an illness or disease that can be unique to one country or community.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #1192 on: March 11, 2020, 08:19:13 pm »
I TPed the tree in my yard, as a scarecrow.
Put toilet paper all over my door including the handle.
Feeling safe. Coronavirus will never come round here.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1193 on: March 11, 2020, 08:21:11 pm »
I TPed the tree in my yard, as a scarecrow.
Put toilet paper all over my door including the handle.
Feeling safe. Coronavirus will never come round here.
Well done.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #1194 on: March 11, 2020, 08:49:21 pm »
During a Wal-mart stop today, I decided to check out their iso-propanol supply.  The entire shelf was empty.  But they had plenty of bleach.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1195 on: March 11, 2020, 10:17:53 pm »
People should be buying tampons instead of TP. More effective to stop their shit for brains leaking out their ears. The TP epidemic has hit here hard.

Just for fun.

https://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/latest_update_GIP_surveillance/en/

Influenza update - 362

Summary

In the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere, respiratory illness indicators and influenza activity remained elevated overall.
        In North America, influenza activity remained elevated influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and B viruses co-circulating.
        In Europe, influenza activity continued to increase across the region but appeared to have peaked in some countries.
        In Central Asia, influenza activity decreased with detections of all seasonal influenza subtypes.
        In Northern Africa, influenza activity continued to increase in Algeria and Tunisia, with detections of influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 and B viruses.
        In Western Asia, influenza activity remained elevated overall, though in some countries activity returned to low levels.
        In East Asia, influenza-like illness (ILI) and influenza activity appeared to decrease overall.
    In the Caribbean and Central American countries, influenza activity was low across reporting countries with some exceptions. In Mexico, influenza activity appeared to decrease, with influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 viruses most frequently detected. In tropical South American countries, influenza activity remained low.
    In tropical Africa, influenza detections were low across reporting countries.
    In Southern Asia, influenza activity was low overall, though remained elevated in Afghanistan.
    In South East Asia, influenza activity continued to be reported in some countries.
    In the temperate zones of the southern hemisphere, influenza activity remained at inter-seasonal levels.
    Worldwide, seasonal influenza A viruses accounted for the majority of detections.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1196 on: March 11, 2020, 10:18:14 pm »
hahaha

Who Was The Man Who Took US Hostages, Established Hezbollah And Died Of Coronavirus

https://en.radiofarda.com/a/who-was-the-man-who-took-us-hostages-established-hezbollah-and-died-of-coronavirus/30474758.html
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #1197 on: March 11, 2020, 10:23:16 pm »
People should be buying tampons instead of TP. More effective to stop their shit for brains leaking out their ears. The TP epidemic has hit here hard.

And the score at half time sports fans-

Influenza 8,200. Coronavirus 29
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #1198 on: March 11, 2020, 10:26:16 pm »

Ah yes! Those unintended consequences of over reactive fear.

Just like not thinking about what the OSU students will do in their free time while classes are cancelled.  They would have been far safer in class on campus than the partying they’ll be doing in their absence.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #1199 on: March 11, 2020, 10:48:58 pm »
Ah yes! Those unintended consequences of over reactive fear.

Just like not thinking about what the OSU students will do in their free time while classes are cancelled.  They would have been far safer in class on campus than the partying they’ll be doing in their absence.

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.
My sister is a clarinet instructor at a local college. Yep, classes cancelled - online only. She wonders how she's supposed to sand her students' reeds via Skype.