Author Topic: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion  (Read 79643 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Coronavirus, comprehensive and updates discussion
« Reply #675 on: February 27, 2020, 12:17:24 pm »

Oh no, mine looked like:

But my little brother's looked like:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 12:19:41 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #676 on: February 27, 2020, 02:16:12 pm »
If your barometer of public health is the Dow, no wonder you're scared. Of the 35 confirmed cases in the US, five have recovered, none have died, and only one is hospitalized.

Let's see, that means each patient is good for how many points on the Dow?

@Smokin Joe

One of my first job out of college had epidemiological  reporting inteactions requirments with the CDC at the State Level.  One old salty guy in Atlanta I sometimes dealt with told me that some of the media genreated mania generated was more of a overall health detriment tham the disease itself.  OF course this was just a few years after the Swine Flu mania debacle of the mid to late 1970's.

My honest opinion?  There are three key things to watch.....

(1) Communicability of the infection vector....   
(2) Mortality rate.  60 or so days in, nothing is giving me any indication that this thing is exceeding the 2-3% Mortaity Rate.  If this continues, this will not be that much more impactful than a normal seasonal flu, which has a 2%, +. or - some change.
(3) And most important, the mutation abilty of the virus.  (1) and (2) now seem managable, in its impact on society.  All bets are off if (3) show change.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 02:23:07 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #677 on: February 27, 2020, 02:20:16 pm »
@Smokin Joe

One of my first job out of college had epidemiological  reporting inteactions requirments with the CDC at the State Level.  One old salty guy in Atlanta I sometimes dealt with told me that some of the media genreated mania generated was more of a overall health detriment tham the disease itself.  OF course this was just a few years after the Swine Flu mania debacle of the mid to  1970's.

(2) Mortality rate.  60 or so days in, nothing is giving me any indication that this thing is exceeding the 2-3% Mortaity Rate.  If this continues, this will not be that much more impactful than a normal seasonal flu, which has a 2%
(3) And most important, the mutation abilty of the virus.  (1) and (2) now seem managable, in its impact on society.  All bets are off if (3) show change.
I agree. Outside China the mortality rate is at 1.1% of known cases.
Those who were infected  but generally asymptomatic may not have been included, simply because their symptoms may have been mild enough that they were never tested. (Some people get brutal colds, others seem to not ever get one, and that may be an unseen factor in this disease.)
The mention of SARS and MERS certainly has the fear factor enhanced, but this virus is neither, or the mortality rates would be considerably higher. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #678 on: February 27, 2020, 02:31:49 pm »
@Smokin Joe

One of my first job out of college had epidemiological  reporting inteactions requirments with the CDC at the State Level.  One old salty guy in Atlanta I sometimes dealt with told me that some of the media genreated mania generated was more of a overall health detriment tham the disease itself.  OF course this was just a few years after the Swine Flu mania debacle of the mid to late 1970's.

(2) Mortality rate.  60 or so days in, nothing is giving me any indication that this thing is exceeding the 2-3% Mortaity Rate.  If this continues, this will not be that much more impactful than a normal seasonal flu, which has a 2%, +. or - some change.

@catfish1957
Only caveat I’ll add to your number 2 is this. From what I’ve read, the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 which killed more than 20million people ALSO had a mortality rate of about 2.5%
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline skeeter

« Reply #679 on: February 27, 2020, 02:32:13 pm »
@Smokin Joe

That is encouraging.

But why do you suppose China has virtually turned off its economy to deal with the virus? That would seem to imply Covid19 is more serious than the average flu.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #680 on: February 27, 2020, 02:47:17 pm »
@catfish1957
Only caveat I’ll add to your number 2 is this. From what I’ve read, the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 which killed more than 20million people ALSO had a mortality rate of about 2.5%
We don't know the mortality rate of this virus, really. China's stats aren't trustworthy. Confirmed cases outside of China have been running 1.1% so far.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #681 on: February 27, 2020, 02:49:56 pm »
'Incoherent': Top WHO official rips Trump's 'ignorant' coronavirus news conference
by Dominick Mastrangelo
 | February 27, 2020 09:26 AM

A top official at the World Health Organization said President Trump's news conference on the American response to the COVID-19 virus made little sense.

"I found most of what he said a little incoherent," Ezekiel Emanuel, special adviser to the director-general of the World Health Organization, said Wednesday on MSNBC's Hardball. "You know, [Trump's] a guy that admitted that he’s surprised that 25,000 to 69,000 people each year die of the flu. That just tells you how little he actually knows about public health and about the health of the American public."

Emanuel said Trump's news conference revealed how "ignorant" he is about the global outbreak that has infected tens of thousands and led to the deaths of more than 2,000 people around the world.

There have been 60 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the United States so far.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/incoherent-top-who-official-rips-trumps-ignorant-coronavirus-news-conference
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #682 on: February 27, 2020, 02:49:59 pm »
That is encouraging.

But why do you suppose China has virtually turned off its economy to deal with the virus? That would seem to imply Covid19 is more serious than the average flu.

That initially concerned me too.  But remember the virus vector has about a 14 day life cycle.  Introduction to end result.  We are now in at least 2 cycles of the virus outside of China.  Yes too early to make a 100% evaluation of impact, but we will have a much better handle of lethality in about 2 weeks. What I am not hearing, and am most concerned about is what is the abiltiy to this virus to mutate.  In our case we have stocked up much like we would for a hurricane. (A couple of weeks of food, water) Being 60+, no need to increase our chance of infection.

Like myself, nation still needs to make necessary calm zero-hysteria contingent preparations.  Better safe than sorry. But I am feeling a little better of late around overall impact.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #683 on: February 27, 2020, 03:03:11 pm »
@catfish1957

@Axeslinger

This is one that genealogy really came in handy for me.  I have always felt that 2.5% mortaility was substantially lower than actual.  1918, was well before public health montioring systems and before when death certificates were 100% institutionalized.  If you look at the overall 1918 deaths in country, versus say what was confirmed on a d/c.  Many old time doctors early on, often called it a pneumonia.  Back then, there obviously was no testing   I think it would show that the disease was well undereported, especially early on.

Another dynamic which was so much different then than now, is the mobility of the populus.  People today, travel so much more than then. The Flu epidemic strangly often would wipe out a significant chunk of town, while other geopgraphic locations may not have recorded a case.  That also impact the percieved mortality rate.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #684 on: February 27, 2020, 03:04:19 pm »
Japan to close schools nationwide to control spread of coronavirus
https://nypost.com/2020/02/27/japan-to-close-schools-nationwide-to-control-spread-of-virus/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #685 on: February 27, 2020, 03:05:40 pm »
'Incoherent': Top WHO official rips Trump's 'ignorant' coronavirus news conference
by Dominick Mastrangelo
 | February 27, 2020 09:26 AM

Typical MSNBC.....   Exploiting a health crisis for left wing political gain.  Hope there is a nice little corner in hell for these bastards.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #686 on: February 27, 2020, 03:07:51 pm »
Japan to close schools nationwide to control spread of coronavirus
https://nypost.com/2020/02/27/japan-to-close-schools-nationwide-to-control-spread-of-virus/

As technologially savy as the Japanese are, I am surprised they don't have some form of contingent School teleconfererncing

Offline skeeter

« Reply #687 on: February 27, 2020, 03:08:15 pm »
Typical MSNBC.....   Exploiting a health crisis for left wing political gain.  Hope there is a nice little corner in hell for these bastards.

You and I both. I pray the rest of the public is perceptive enough to find them as repellent as they should.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #688 on: February 27, 2020, 03:20:37 pm »
If Trump is "ignorant" then he wasn't briefed. We (taxpayers) shell out for a small army of experts who can do just that. But the CDC lady is Rosenstein's sister. No "deep state" action going on here, folks... *****rollingeyes*****

I think Hell's gonna need a bigger corner...

C S Lewis

Offline aligncare

« Reply #689 on: February 27, 2020, 03:21:33 pm »
It’s time to panic, folks. A woman in Northern California has the flu! Run away!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #690 on: February 27, 2020, 03:23:22 pm »
We don't know the mortality rate of this virus, really. China's stats aren't trustworthy. Confirmed cases outside of China have been running 1.1% so far.

@Smokin Joe

What bothers me most Joe, is that at some point on the horizon, we are going to see a perfect storm of where the lethality, mutability, and communicability that DOES become an international infrastruture crisis.  That concern was there with H5N1.  The concern was strong, that in my role as emergency manager at my plant, we were company wide particpant of a such a comprehenive intricate contingency plan, we had it forumulated and implemented to the point of a flip of a light switch.  Very scary stuff, which included quantantined plant workers and maintnenance, pre-sterilized drops of provisions, on site physicians, etc.

Thankfully, H5N1 (Bird Flu) never panned out.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 03:26:04 pm by catfish1957 »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #691 on: February 27, 2020, 03:26:41 pm »
"I found most of what he said a little incoherent," Ezekiel Emanuel, special adviser to the director-general of the World Health Organization, said Wednesday on MSNBC's Hardball. "You know, [Trump's] a guy that admitted that he’s surprised that 25,000 to 69,000 people each year die of the flu. That just tells you how little he actually knows about public health and about the health of the American public."

If the name  Ezekiel Emanuel sounds familiar, it should.  From Wiki:

Ezekiel Jonathan "Zeke" Emanuel (born September 6, 1957) is an American oncologist and bioethicist[2] and senior fellow at the Center for American Progress. He is the current Vice Provost for Global Initiatives at the University of Pennsylvania and chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy.

His two younger brothers are former Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel and Hollywood-based talent agent Ari Emanuel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezekiel_Emanuel

He's not one to ever let a crisis go to waste.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #692 on: February 27, 2020, 03:28:24 pm »
@Smokin Joe

What bothers me most Joe, is that at some point on the horizon, we are going to see a perfect storm of where the lethality, mutability, and communicability that DOES become an international infrastruture crisis.  That concern was there with H5N1.  The concern was strong, that in my role as emergency manager at my plant, we were company wide particpant of a such a comprehenive intricate contingency plan, we had it forumulated and implemented to the point of a light switch.  Very scary stuff, which included quantantined plant workers and maintnenance, pre-sterilized drops of provisions, on site physicians, etc.

Thankfully, H5N1 (Bird Flu) never panned out.
I was watching that one, too.
It seems that somewhere along the line, virii sacrifice lethality for communicability. (I guess making it on the margin vs volume exists in the pathogen world, too.) Some day, there will likely be a superbug that either develops on its own or is developed for warfare that will combine those characteristics of being highly communicable and highly lethal, but such would be something no government in their right mind would want to deploy--nor store where their population was vulnerable.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #693 on: February 27, 2020, 03:29:54 pm »
If the name  Ezekiel Emanuel sounds familiar, it should.  From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezekiel_Emanuel

He's not one to ever let a crisis go to waste.
"American oncologist and bioethicist[2]"

and that makes him an expert on epidemiological matters?  And the degree to go on TV to come across as an expert on such matters?

AMA needs to sanction him, fine him, or whatever they need to do to make him STFU.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #694 on: February 27, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »
It appears that Trump's news conference didn't lessen fears as I see the DOW plummeting again today. 

I asked a stock trader buddy several years back as to what had caused the market to drop a huge amount on a particular day and his comment was, "a cockroach tripped over a cigarette butt". lololol  It takes very little to instill fear into the market.  Let's just pray this is a HUGE overreaction.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #695 on: February 27, 2020, 04:07:33 pm »
It appears that Trump's news conference didn't lessen fears as I see the DOW plummeting again today. 

I asked a stock trader buddy several years back as to what had caused the market to drop a huge amount on a particular day and his comment was, "a cockroach tripped over a cigarette butt". lololol  It takes very little to instill fear into the market.  Let's just pray this is a HUGE overreaction.

I’m really worried. This is upsetting. I hope it corrects itself soon.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #696 on: February 27, 2020, 04:10:15 pm »

Not me.  One of my favorite quotes in the world of investing is .....    "run in when everyone else is running out panicking"

Worked well for me in '87, '01, and '09.  I still want about a 5-8% correction before I start getting giddy.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #697 on: February 27, 2020, 04:11:04 pm »

We're already up 500 from the session low.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #698 on: February 27, 2020, 04:19:36 pm »
We're already up 500 from the session low.

Still can't beleive the 30 year treasuries touched 1.75% this morning.  Yuck.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #699 on: February 27, 2020, 04:57:20 pm »
One official and now, the female VP of Iran, have the virus:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/27/Iranian-Vice-President-Masoumeh-Ebtekar-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-Report.html

Moscow, rounding up strays, killing rats.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/02/27/moscow-rounds-up-stray-animals-kills-rats-over-coronavirus-fears-a69436

That doesn't sound good. I heard dogs would not transfer the disease, terrifying for the critters.

You have to take precautions,

Coronavirus: in South Korea, mounting anger, rumours over Shincheonji church as cases rise

The spike in Covid-19 cases has heightened interest in the controversial church, which accounts for over half of the country’s infections
    Anger and mistrust reached a peak when an online post detailed its alleged plans to infiltrate traditional churches to spread the virus

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3052550/south-korea-mounting-anger-rumours-over-shincheonji

That would be evil if they did this.

Also, per going to Mecca, a lot of people not being let in by Saudi Arabia:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/27/Saudi-Arabia-suspends-entry-for-Umrah-pilgrimage-due-to-coronavirus.html

In fact, pilgrimages may have stopped as of now.

Police officers visit remote areas in Altay, China's Xinjiang region, to raise the coronavirus awareness [AFP]
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/02/trump-ready-coronavirus-live-updates-200226235731205.html
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 05:08:03 pm by TomSea »