Author Topic: The impeachment trap: Endangered Senate Republicans face peril whether they support Trump or not  (Read 528 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The impeachment trap: Endangered Senate Republicans face peril whether they support Trump or not
by David M. Drucker
 | January 15, 2020 12:00 AM

Senate Republicans vulnerable to a Democratic challenge this year are facing a kind of political Catch-22 as the impeachment trial looms: Voting against President Trump risks the wrath of GOP primary voters, but voting for him ensures renomination but could cost them their careers in November.

Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Cory Gardner of Colorado, and Martha McSally of Arizona are under the most pressure, and not just on whether to acquit or convict Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The Senate will vote on whether to call witnesses at trial, another political minefield.

Senate Democrats want testimony from people who could impugn Trump, such as former White House national security adviser John Bolton. Many Republicans, in response, want to subpoena Hunter Biden, son of leading Democratic contender Joe Biden. These and other decisions, amounting to a litmus test on support or opposition to Trump, are fraught with peril for Collins, Gardner, and McSally.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/the-impeachment-trap-endangered-senate-republicans-face-peril-whether-they-support-trump-or-not
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

The base will understand as long as they believe their senator is handling the case fairly.

Because deciding this mess of a case fairly must mean treating this case as the farce that it is.

And bugger all anyone who doesn't like it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:07:54 pm by skeeter »

Offline dancer

Senate Republicans vulnerable to a Democratic challenge this year are facing a kind of political Catch-22 as the impeachment trial looms: Voting against President Trump risks the wrath of GOP primary voters, but voting for him ensures renomination but could cost them their careers in November.

Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Cory Gardner of Colorado, and Martha McSally of Arizona are under the most pressure, and not just on whether to acquit or convict Trump on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The Senate will vote on whether to call witnesses at trial, another political minefield.

Senate Democrats want testimony from people who could impugn Trump, such as former White House national security adviser John Bolton. Many Republicans, in response, want to subpoena Hunter Biden, son of leading Democratic contender Joe Biden. These and other decisions, amounting to a litmus test on support or opposition to Trump, are fraught with peril for Collins, Gardner, and McSally.

They have placed themselves in jeopardy and I'm happy they feel uncomfortable.  They should.  They should have supported their Republican president against the onslaught that comes from literally all sides.   I hope they are replaced by competent conservatives who have no problem taking the cabal to the woodshed.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
They have placed themselves in jeopardy and I'm happy they feel uncomfortable.  They should.  They should have supported their Republican president against the onslaught that comes from literally all sides.   I hope they are replaced by competent conservatives who have no problem taking the cabal to the woodshed.

Martha McSally's problem has nothing to do with Donald Trump.  She was always a weak candidate.  She lost the attempt to keep Flake's seat in Republican hands.  I was disappointed Ducey appointed her because she can only win if Mickey Mouse runs against her, and she has a former Astronaut for an opponent.

Short of a miracle, Barry Goldwater's state will have two Rat Senators come 2021.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Absalom

Principled Conservatism hasn't/never had anthiing to do w/republicanism
which is nothing more than political crapola on daily display.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Collins will certainly lose if she doesn't support Trump fully.

McSally is probably going to lose to that idiot astronaut guy regardless of how she votes, so she might as well vote for Mr. Trump.

Gardner? Got no idea.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
McSally is probably going to lose to that idiot astronaut guy regardless of how she votes, so she might as well vote for Mr. Trump.

Probably.  He's waving his wife's bloody shirt.  She's proof you can shoot a Rat in the head with a 9mm round, and she can still talk, provided it's about gun control.  I think the colloquial term is "Meat Puppet."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Hoodat

There's also Doug Jones, Tina Smith, Gary Peters, and Mark Warner.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dancer

Gardner? Got no idea.

Gad I hope not!  That astro is Mark Kelly, the gun grabbing husband of Gabby Giffords!

Please Az., do not elect this man!

Offline Snarknado

• Anti

Gardner? Got no idea.

I'm no expert but iy seems to me Collins is the only one who could vote against Trump and still have any chance of winning. Repubs in Maine are a different breed and she has a long history of "moderation" but coming through when it counts, e.g. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. That's assuming she's not a deciding vote on dismissal or calling witnesses though.

It's unfortunate that after so many House repubs put themselves on the line to make impeachment a 100% partisan sham, a few senators could throw them under the bus by handing the dems a victory that they can tout as "bipartisan" through the election campaign.
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Martha McSally's problem has nothing to do with Donald Trump.  She was always a weak candidate.  She lost the attempt to keep Flake's seat in Republican hands.  I was disappointed Ducey appointed her because she can only win if Mickey Mouse runs against her, and she has a former Astronaut for an opponent.

Short of a miracle, Barry Goldwater's state will have two Rat Senators come 2021.
She might have a hope against the Astronaut if she legally changed her last name to Ride and became......Martha McSally Ride ****drummer