Author Topic: Gen. Petraeus on Qasem Soleimani’s killing: 'It's impossible to overstate the significance'  (Read 345 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Gen. Petraeus on Qasem Soleimani’s killing: 'It's impossible to overstate the significance'
Public Radio International/The World, Jan 3, 2020

As former commander of US forces in Iraq and Afghanistan and a former CIA director, retired Gen. David Petraeus is very familiar with Soleimani. He spoke to The World's host Marco Werman about what could happen next.

Marco Werman: How did you know Qasem Soleimani?
Gen. David Petraeus: Well, he was our most significant Iranian adversary during my four years in Iraq, [and] certainly when I was the Central Command commander, and very much so when I was the director of the CIA. He is unquestionably the most significant and important — or was the most significant and important — Iranian figure in the region, the most important architect of the effort by Iran to solidify control of the Shia crescent, and the operational commander of the various initiatives that were part of that effort.

General Petraeus, did you ever interact directly or indirectly with him?
Indirectly. He sent a message to me through the president of Iraq in late March of 2008, during the battle of Basra, when we were supporting the Iraqi army forces that were battling the Shia militias in Basra that were supported, of course, by Qasem Soleimani and the Quds Force. He sent a message through the president that said, "General Petraeus, you should know that I, Qasem Soleimani, control the policy of Iran for Iraq, and also for Syria, Lebanon, Gaza and Afghanistan."

And the implication of that was, "If you want to deal with Iran to resolve this situation in Basra, you should deal with me, not with the Iranian diplomats." And his power only grew from that point in time. By the way, I did not — I actually told the president to tell Qasem Soleimani to pound sand.

More:  https://www.pri.org/stories/2020-01-03/gen-petraeus-qasem-soleimani-s-killing-its-impossible-overstate-significance?fbclid=IwAR1TRggBoSyN-la1qkv013IY2k4ZybZhXoA8KMlI-1ZYIUg-mi0tUoKhbYg

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The interview is interesting and not long.

The General's skill at maneuvering through "got ya" questions is impressive.

Quasem sure has a lot to answer for.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The interview is interesting and not long.

The General's skill at maneuvering through "got ya" questions is impressive.

Quasem sure has a lot to answer for.

My impression is that Petraeus is giving this action and the President Two Thumbs Up.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Axeslinger

My impression is that Petraeus is giving this action and the President Two Thumbs Up.
Agree
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Pretty sure their is no love lost from him toward the Toadies and Obama.  They F's him like a tied up goat. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.