Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96061 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #1550 on: December 31, 2020, 06:35:51 pm »
(...)
Not the place. Keep the thread to once-living organisms, please. (Notable animals are OK.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1551 on: December 31, 2020, 06:44:44 pm »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1552 on: December 31, 2020, 07:52:23 pm »
Former Gov. and AG Dick Thornburgh (R-PA) dies at 88

Thornburgh served two terms as Governor of Pennsylvania from 1979-87 and was appointed in the waning months of Ronald Reagan's Presidency to serve as Attorney General of the United States, a position he held through the first half of George H. W. Bush's presidency. He was generally well-regarded for his work as governor and attorney general, aggressively prosecuting corrupt corporations in the latter role (to an extent, his work in that field would continue in his private sector work in the next two decades) and establishing calm during the Three Mile Island meltdown in the former.

Thornburgh had only retired a year prior to his death December 31, 2020.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1553 on: December 31, 2020, 08:15:50 pm »
Former Gov. and AG Dick Thornburgh (R-PA) dies at 88

Thornburgh served two terms as Governor of Pennsylvania from 1979-87 and was appointed in the waning months of Ronald Reagan's Presidency to serve as Attorney General of the United States, a position he held through the first half of George H. W. Bush's presidency. He was generally well-regarded for his work as governor and attorney general, aggressively prosecuting corrupt corporations in the latter role (to an extent, his work in that field would continue in his private sector work in the next two decades) and establishing calm during the Three Mile Island meltdown in the former.

Thornburgh had only retired a year prior to his death December 31, 2020.

Obituary from the Associated Press

Wikipedia
RIP Mr. Thornburgh, looking forward to a Biden residency I can't blame you for taking the exit.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1554 on: December 31, 2020, 08:16:46 pm »
Phyllis McGuire, last remaining member of the McGuire Sisters singing trio, dies at 89

Phyllis McGuire, who with her sisters Dorothy and Christine formed the 1950s singing trio the McGuire Sisters has died. She was 89.

According to reports, McGuire died in her Las Vegas home Tuesday. The cause of death has not been released.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment-and-culture/2020/12/31/22208284/phyllis-mcguire-dead-mcguire-sisterse-last-remaining-member-of-was-89-music

My parents were fans.  Played a lot of McGuire Sisters records on our old stereo when my brother and i were kids.

Rest in peace.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1555 on: December 31, 2020, 09:12:00 pm »

Nope. We're going to exhume it, dust it off, and bring it back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1556 on: December 31, 2020, 10:18:13 pm »
Phyllis McGuire, last remaining member of the McGuire Sisters singing trio, dies at 89

https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment-and-culture/2020/12/31/22208284/phyllis-mcguire-dead-mcguire-sisterse-last-remaining-member-of-was-89-music

My parents were fans.  Played a lot of McGuire Sisters records on our old stereo when my brother and i were kids.

Rest in peace.
I remember being introduced to the McGuire Sisters through those Time-Life infomercials with the short film clips that accompanied the songs. I remember they were gorgeous ladies in their prime. (And their voices had power that stood out in that era with harmonies that were on point.)

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #1557 on: December 31, 2020, 10:25:47 pm »
Nope. We're going to exhume it, dust it off, and bring it back.

The best of luck with that! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1558 on: December 31, 2020, 11:30:02 pm »
I remember being introduced to the McGuire Sisters through those Time-Life infomercials with the short film clips that accompanied the songs. I remember they were gorgeous ladies in their prime. (And their voices had power that stood out in that era with harmonies that were on point.)
@jmyrlefuller
They had a lovely career until Phyllis McGuire took up with mob legend Sam (Momo) Giancana in the early 1960s. An affair she ended only when she realised the connection was killing their career, which pretty much petered out by 1968 and their last appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.

Before that, the McGuire Sisters got a hosing from their then-employer Arthur Godfrey. They were among the victims when, in 1953, Godfrey insanely purged just about the entire company that helped make him a ubiquitous broadcast feature and destroyed his everyman image practically overnight.

The whole megillah began when Godfrey began to sour on his own discovery Julius LaRosa. The reason: LaRosa's personal popularity began eclipsing Godfrey's own. LaRosa's fan mail outnumbered Godfrey's at last; he was also being courted for his own broadcasting turns as well as his early recording successes. If there was one thing at which Godfrey bristled behind the scenes, it was the idea that anyone on his show might actually become more popular. Making it worse: LaRosa hiring his own manager to handle the bookings that began coming his way away from the Godfrey orbit. (Godfrey believed only he alone could and should manage the non-show affairs of his cast, a belief shared by no one ever, apparently.)

If there was another thing Godfrey couldn't stand, it was romance among his company of "Little Godfreys" (as the press often called them). Including and perhaps especially between LaRosa and Dorothy McGuire: when her first marriage hit the rocks, she began keeping company with the earnest LaRosa. Before she and her husband could turn talk into action about a divorce (which finally happened in 1956), the husband was drafted to the Korean War, giving Godfrey the perfect opportunity to quash any romance between her and LaRosa by hammering the patriotic theme home to her no matter how dead her marriage might have become.

At the same time, Godfrey's bandleader Archie Bleyer had a romance of his own going with Janet Ertel of the singing Chordettes. Bleyer also committed another cardinal sin so far as Godfrey was concerned: the record company (Cadence Records) Bleyer co-created with LaRosa released an album of sketches from Don McNeil's popular Breakfast Club radio show---to Godfrey that was consorting with the enemy, since McNeil was a morning radio rival, never mind that McNeil's show might have been popular but nothing like Godfrey's own morning show.

So, on 19 October, 1953, after LaRosa annoyed Godfrey even further by refusing the ballet lessons Godfrey ordered for his cast (Godfrey got the idea in a bid to help everyone else look a little more graceful on their television shows, since Godfrey himself wasn't exactly Gene Kelly, but like many men in that time and place LaRosa considered the idea effeminate), Godfrey was ready when LaRosa closed the show singing "I'll Take Manhattan":

Thanks ever so much, Julie. That was Julie's swan song with us. He goes out now, on his own, as his own star, soon to be seen in his own programs, and I know you wish him Godspeed the same as I do.

Whose brilliant idea was it for Godfrey to fire LaRosa on the air? Then-CBS president Frank Stanton, who'd heard enough of Godfrey's complaining about his young breakout star. Finally, Stanton said, "You hired him on the air, why don't you fire him on the air?" (Godfrey had once invited LaRosa for a guest shot on the radio show while LaRosa was still in the Navy and said to his cheering studio audience and listeners, "When Julie gets out of the Navy, he'll come see us"---a bona-fide job offer.) Stanton later said publicly he regretted making the suggestion, as well he might considering the beating CBS took in the press as well as Godfrey.

For all his burgeoning success, LaRosa was still basically a kid who really was what his image suggested: the lucky bastard who caught a great break (when Godfrey discovered him singing with the Navy in World War II---after LaRosa's buddies got to Godfrey and convinced him to listen to their bud) and remained grateful for it for the rest of his life. He actually didn't know what "swan song" meant---the utterance of a dying swan was a metaphor for farewell. Somebody had to tell the poor soul he'd just been fired on the national air. It was headlines in the press the following day and Godfrey foolishly counterattacked by claiming LaRosa had "a lack of humility." Ed Sullivan promptly invited LaRosa onto his television show, prompting Godfrey to denounce Sullivan as "a dope" in the press. And, with LaRosa refusing to criticise Godfrey while still crediting him for any success he had to that point, it only made Godfrey look worse.

So what did Godfrey do on day two following the LaRosa on-the-air firing? He canned Archie Bleyer, the McGuire Sisters and the Chordettes. (Bleyer and Ertel had the last laugh, though: they married happily and remained married until Bleyer died in 1989.) He canned Bleyer. He dumped singer Bill Lawrence, freshly returned from the Army, claiming Lawrence's young fans were driving him berserk, an alibi that died when Lawrence revealed his own romance with another Chordette, Janette Davis. Godfrey also dumped his producer (another romance among a pair of Little Godfreys) and his writers ("heinous crimes" unknown).

The purged Little Godfreys had a few last laughs, though. The McGuires and the Chordettes became recording stars on their own. Bleyer's and LaRosa's Cadence Records not only put out the Chordettes' hits later in the 1950s but also became the discoverers of two of the nation's biggest recording acts at around the same time---the Everly Brothers and Andy Williams. (Williams eventually bought Cadence from Bleyer, in fact.) Bleyer and Ertel also married; the marriage ended only upon Bleyer's death in 1989. LaRosa never became quite the superstar he looked to be becoming, but he enjoyed a respectful career on records and on the nightclub and hotel circuits. Godfrey's television side ended in 1959 during his first battle with lung cancer, but he hung on in radio until 1972---enjoying nothing close to the national popularity he'd had before the great nsane purges of 1953.

Dorothy McGuire and Julius LaRosa never continued their relationship after the Godfrey purges. After her divorce, McGuire married a wealthy oil executive (the marriage lasted until her death in 2012), and LaRosa married a woman named Rosemary Meyer. Their marriage lasted until LaRosa died in 2016.)

RIP, McGuire Sisters.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 11:35:02 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #1559 on: December 31, 2020, 11:33:13 pm »
Thornburgh was a decent fellow, as I recall (as a sometimes-Pennsylvanian).  :patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1560 on: January 01, 2021, 05:52:49 am »
Thornburgh was a decent fellow, as I recall (as a sometimes-Pennsylvanian).  :patriot:

I rode an elevator once with him.  At the time he was out of politics and a big wheel with what was then the law firm of Kirkpatrick & Lockhart (now K&L Gates).  My boss was in a meeting at K&L and needed something from the office brought to him, so off I went.  Unfortunately, I got caught in a sudden shower, so I must have looked like a drowned rat when I got on the elevator.  But Thornburg wasn't repulsed.  Our conversation was brief, but he was jovial and cordial.  Nice guy. 

Rest in peace, Governor.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1561 on: January 01, 2021, 06:00:35 am »
@EasyAce

Thank you for the history of the McGuire Sisters and Arthur Godfrey.  I knew a little about the story of Godfrey and LaRosa.  I remember my mother was upset by LaRosa's on-air firing and still was years later when the subject came up.  Godfrey was a real SOB, but I guess karma eventually bit him in the rear which was a good thing.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1562 on: January 01, 2021, 06:23:49 am »
@Applewood   @EasyAce

I want to thank you both for your comments about Godfrey,his show,and his history. You guys make me feel like a teenybopper compared to you. About all I remember about Arthur Godfrey is he played a ukulele (I THINK),and didn't even seem to do that very well.

I have no reason to doubt either of your memories of tv back then,but it seems impossible to me that anybody was a threat,or even a competitor to Ed Sullivan back then. My memory is no doubt MUCH worse than yours for that period of time,but the way *I* remember it,"The Ed Sullivan Show" OWNED Sunday night teebee. I am sure he had competitors for his time slot,but I honestly have no idea who they were,and I truly feel sorry for them.

What makes this so strange looking back is that Sullivan seems to have zero talent of his own. Maybe because of this he had the good sense to just walk out on stage,welcome the audience,and introduce the acts before getting the hell out of the way.

He sure as hell didn't have any charisma,either. I have no idea how he came to own maybe the biggest live entertainment show on television back then.

Yeah,there were a couple of shows like Kraft Mystery Theater and Playhouse 90 that were so good they were and are timeless,not to mention The Twilight Zone,but they were all in different categories than Sullivan.

One thing about the Sullivan show that stands out in my mind is that he seems to have been the only major player on television back then that didn't hesitate to have black entertainers on his show. You HAVE to applaud both him,CBS,and his sponsors for having that kind of courage and sticking to it. I remember Louis Armstrong especially as being a regular guest star.

Oh,and we HAVE to give shout-outs to The Red Skelton Show as well as Groucho Marx and "You bet your life". I doubt either would have any trouble being hit shows even today. Red Skelton would "dance close to the edge of 50's moral acceptability,but Groucho must have made the set censors suicidal.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:25:05 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1563 on: January 01, 2021, 09:58:05 am »
The best of luck with that!
I'm working with kids now, doing my best to instill the "counterrevolutionary" principles of individual Liberty and the Constitution's Original Intent.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1564 on: January 01, 2021, 01:09:41 pm »
@Gefn

Tina Louise is still alive.

You know, @EasyAce i forgot about Tina Louise. Poor woman didn’t age well.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #1565 on: January 01, 2021, 04:18:31 pm »
Obituary for the Year 2020:

You are not mourned. Good riddance.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1566 on: January 01, 2021, 04:23:36 pm »
@EasyAce

Thank you for the history of the McGuire Sisters and Arthur Godfrey.  I knew a little about the story of Godfrey and LaRosa.  I remember my mother was upset by LaRosa's on-air firing and still was years later when the subject came up.  Godfrey was a real SOB, but I guess karma eventually bit him in the rear which was a good thing.
@Applewood

I have the surviving clip of the LaRosa firing. Godfrey started deceptively by introducing LaRosa with somewhat effusive praise---and, remembering how awe-struck LaRosa was upon first joining Godfrey at "all those stars" on the show, telling LaRosa, "Julie, you don't know it, but I don't have any stars on my show. On my show we're all just a nice big family of very nice people like yourself." You'll hear LaRosa sing "Manhattan," then you'll hear the infamous kiss-off.

Godfrey was also once quoted as having told his Little Godfreys, "Remember that some of you are here over the bodies of those I have personally slain. I have done it before and I can do it again."

And, yet, for the rest of his life, LaRosa would never take Godfrey to task over that on-air firing. He'd tell anyone who asked him that Godfrey was the man most responsible for any success he had in his long career. Invariably. The nearest LaRosa would ever get to referring to how disgracefully he'd been treated by Godfrey was to say, simply, "He wasn't very nice to me."

I used to have a history of CBS written by Robert Metz, called CBS: Reflections in a Bloodshot Eye. There was a chapter devoted to Godfrey. Its title: "Arthur Godfrey: Everybody's an SOB to Somebody."

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1567 on: January 01, 2021, 05:23:32 pm »
@Applewood   @EasyAce

I want to thank you both for your comments about Godfrey,his show,and his history. You guys make me feel like a teenybopper compared to you. About all I remember about Arthur Godfrey is he played a ukulele (I THINK),and didn't even seem to do that very well.

@sneakypete

Godfrey did indeed "play" the ukulele. Compared to him, Tiny Tim was the Wes Montgomery of uke players.

I have no reason to doubt either of your memories of tv back then,but it seems impossible to me that anybody was a threat,or even a competitor to Ed Sullivan back then. My memory is no doubt MUCH worse than yours for that period of time,but the way *I* remember it,"The Ed Sullivan Show" OWNED Sunday night teebee. I am sure he had competitors for his time slot,but I honestly have no idea who they were,and I truly feel sorry for them.

Sullivan took some time to become the Sunday night powerhouse he was. When his show debuted as Toast of the Town in 1948, he was so stiff on camera that wags nicknamed the show Toast of the Tomb.

Godfrey was hugely popular on radio in the 1940s and early 1950s and likewise on television when he made the transition himself in the late 1940s. He wasn't a Sunday entry, though: Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts aired on Monday nights; Arthur Godfrey and His Friends was his weekday morning radio show which went to television on Fridays, if I'm not mistaken. He was no threat to Ed Sullivan no matter how popular he was.

What makes this so strange looking back is that Sullivan seems to have zero talent of his own. Maybe because of this he had the good sense to just walk out on stage,welcome the audience,and introduce the acts before getting the hell out of the way.

What Sullivan had that set him apart was two things: 1) What you just said; and, 2) the man was an incomparable judge of entertainment. Not to mention that he had a knack for aligning the acts who came on his show in unusual ways, if you remember that a performance of classical music was liable to be followed almost immediately by an animal act, that sort of thing.

He also had a sense of humour about himself and let it onto his show---he was so well aware of what an awkward putz he looked on the air that he thought nothing of booking comedians who impersonated him on his own stage!

He sure as hell didn't have any charisma,either. I have no idea how he came to own maybe the biggest live entertainment show on television back then.

Sullivan was a longtime entertainment newspaper columnist and radio presence before CBS had the bright idea to bring him to television. Maybe the best single line summary of Sullivan's staying power came from the comedian Alan King: Ed Sullivan will last as long as someone else has talent.

Actually, Sullivan lasted until his rilly big shoes became too expensive to produce anymore, in 1974.

One of the bigger things about Sullivan---he let his performers do their thing live on the stage, rather than making them lip-synch to recordings. Practically every music star who either became stars with a gig on the Sullivan show or saw their stardom skyrocket with an appearance played it live, from the jazz and classical people to the rockers such as Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly & the Crickets, Sam Cooke, the Beatles (the no-questions asked most successful of the numerous acts Sullivan brought aboard from abroad), the Rolling Stones, the Dave Clark Five (Sullivan was especially attuned to the British Invasion after having bumped into the Beatles' popularity in England while going through an airport and promptly booking them for their world-changing February 1964 appearances), Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, and more.

One thing about the Sullivan show that stands out in my mind is that he seems to have been the only major player on television back then that didn't hesitate to have black entertainers on his show. You HAVE to applaud both him,CBS,and his sponsors for having that kind of courage and sticking to it. I remember Louis Armstrong especially as being a regular guest star.

Sullivan was unapologetic about bringing black and other ethnic talent aboard his show. Armstrong was a frequent guest star; Sullivan also booked such black entertainers as the Ink Spots, the Mills Brothers, Josephine Baker, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Harry Belafonte, Diahann Carroll, the Supremes, the Temptations, James Brown, and Sarah Vaughan. He did so despite protests from the deeper South that included newspaper editorials urging people to boycott the Sullivan show. Sullivan's popularity was big enough to allow him, essentially, to tell them go screw---even when they included his one-time sponsor Ford after the automaker threatened to block his show from being aired in the South.

Oh,and we HAVE to give shout-outs to The Red Skelton Show as well as Groucho Marx and "You bet your life". I doubt either would have any trouble being hit shows even today. Red Skelton would "dance close to the edge of 50's moral acceptability,but Groucho must have made the set censors suicidal.

Red Skelton was an odd duck. A no-questions-asked gifted clown but often caught behaving off the air like a spoiled child who couldn't bring himself to credit anyone else for his success---especially the writers who either helped create some of his famous characters or created them outright for him.

He, too, came to television from radio, and therein lies a tale: For a long time in the 1940s, tickets for Skelton's radio shows were coveted not for the show itself . . . but for Skelton's after-show performances. The man got himself so wired up performing live on the air that he kept it up after the show ended each week just to cool himself down little by little, and went into such an almost anarchic few more rounds before finally cooling that the Skelton after-show was considered one of the hottest tickets in town. If you copped tickets for a Skelton show you were considered as lucky as if you'd scored tickets for the radio shows of Jack Benny, Fred Allen, Fibber McGee & Molly, and CBS's longtime Monday night powerhouse Lux Radio Theater.

(The same phenomenon attached to The Phil Harris-Alice Faye Show in reverse: fans hoped to score tickets to be able to hear Phil Harris's monologues before the show went on the air every Sunday night from 1946---when they became the breakout stars of the formerly variety show The Fitch Bandwagon---until the show ended in 1954.)

Make the censors suicidal? Groucho would probably have made them want to kill each other as acts of mercy! Now, here's something I bet you didn't know survived---the lone surviving complete episode of a radio comedy Groucho and Chico Marx did in the early 1930s, Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel, Attorneys at Law, an episode called "The Ocean Cruise." (If you have to ask why Harpo wasn't there . . . )

The show itself didn't survive for us beyond that episode and a couple of extracts from earlier episodes, but the scripts did: they were published as Flywheel, Shyster and Flywheel: The Marx Brothers' Lost Radio Show, edited by Michael Barson, in 1988. This was the original cover:

You guessed it: I'm an old-time radio nut. I have as large a collection of old-time radio shows (you'd be amazed how many survived from how many series!) as I have a music library---I have over 16,000 old-time radio shows on an external hard drive tied to my computer, not to mention a small truckload of books about the era. Including the aforesaid Flywheel, Shyster & Flywheel plus, among others . . .

Goodman Ace, Ladies and Gentlemen---Easy Aces.

Fred Allen, Treadmill to Oblivion (about his radio years) and his memoir Much Ado About Me. (The memoir was published 7/8ths finished---Allen died of a heart attack in 1956, before he could finish the book.)

R. LeRoy Bannerman, On a Note of Triumph. (A biography of old-time radio's arguably greatest dramatist, the writer/director Norman Corwin; the title comes from the radio special Corwin wrote and delivered after V-E Day in 1945.)

Abe Burrows, Honest Abe. (Burrows co-created Duffy's Tavern and was involved in several other radio shows including his own, briefly, before he became a fabled playwright, humourist, and maybe Broadway's number-one script doctor.)

Mickey Cohen, How Fibber McGee & Molly Won World War II (A delightful review of the show's particular wartime-theme episodes.)

Jim Cox, Frank and Anne Hummert's Radio Factory. (The story of the couple who dominated radio soap opera making.)

John Crosby, Out of the Blue. (An anthology of Crosby's radio and television criticism for The New York Times.)

John Dunning, On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio. (Just what it says, with as full entries as possible for a few hundred shows.)

Elizabeth McLeod, The Original Amos 'n' Andy. (She debunks completely the accusations of racism attached to the show and argues that, in fact, the show and its two performers were as popular among black listeners as white listeners---because they presented blacks not as caricatures but as living, breathing men struggling to make a business work and to make life work like anyone else.)

Henry Morgan, Here's Morgan. (The memoir of the man who was probably the edgiest radio comedian of his time. His radio show is still a blast to listen to, incidentally. His signature sign-on: "Good evening, anybody, here's Morgan." His signature sign-off: "Morgan'll be back on the same corner in front of the cigar store next week.")

Gerald Nachman, Raised on Radio. (An excellent history of network radio.)

Jim Ramsburg, Network Radio Ratings 1932-1953. (Covers the spread from when radio ratings began being taken until the last year radio ratings were taken in hand with the growing television world, complete with brief sketches of particular shows trending, rising, falling, or doing unusual or controversial things.)

James Thurber, The Beast in Me. (I include this because this anthology includes his remarkable four-part New Yorker series on the radio soaps, including copuous space given to one of the Hummerts' most prolific soap writers, Charles Robert Hardy Andrews.)

Jordan R. Young, The Laugh Crafters. (Interviews with some of old-time radio comedy's best writers, including several who worked for people like Jack Benny, Duffy's Tavern, Fred Allen, and Red Skelton.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:32:59 pm by EasyAce »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1568 on: January 01, 2021, 05:43:03 pm »
@EasyAce @sneakypete

Re: Ed Sullivan and his lack of stage presence

Sullivan was an entertainment critic for newspapers before making the jump to television. In many ways, he was to entertainment what Howard Cosell would become to sports a few years later. They weren't experienced themselves in the crafts they were analyzing, but they were experts: they knew what worked. They went to so many plays and concerts (in Sullivan's case) or matches (in Cosell's) that they were students of their craft.

Sullivan knew how to assemble good entertainment, and stay out of the way of it. That's what differed him from, example, Walter Winchell, a man so enamored with his own voice and ego that his attempt to counter Sullivan became a late-night punchline.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1569 on: January 01, 2021, 08:48:49 pm »
@EasyAce @sneakypete

Re: Ed Sullivan and his lack of stage presence

. . . In many ways, he was to entertainment what Howard Cosell would become to sports a few years later. They weren't experienced themselves in the crafts they were analyzing, but they were experts: they knew what worked.

Howard Cosell wasn't half as wooden on camera as Ed Sullivan was. Possibly, because Cosell was almost entirely a product of television, having begun on camera in the 1950s---he began as a local sports reporter for New York WABC---as opposed to Sullivan having had almost as much radio experience as he had newspaper experience prior to his television jump.

Sullivan looked almost terminally ill-at-ease on television, even after he'd had a decade on camera, and it had the effect of making his viewers empathise with him. But the very thing you noted is what made the difference between himself and Cosell---Sullivan knew how to stay out of his own way while Cosell, like Walter Winchell, never did. Which was a shame, because at his absolute best Cosell was a great reporter and analyst. (Except for baseball. Not for nothing did Thomas Boswell once give as one of his 99 reasons why baseball was better than football, "The best football announcer is Howard Cosell. The worst baseball announcer is Howard Cosell.")

Online berdie

« Reply #1570 on: January 01, 2021, 08:53:34 pm »
@EasyAce @jmyrlefuller

I enjoyed both of your posts so much! Thank you both.

Sounds like Red Skelton was the Robin Williams of his day.

Offline verga

« Reply #1571 on: January 01, 2021, 09:25:50 pm »
@EasyAce Thank you so much for the inside story early Television/ radio. Absolutely fascinating. When you write your book I would ove an autographed copy.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1572 on: January 01, 2021, 10:13:55 pm »
@EasyAce Thank you so much for the inside story early Television/ radio. Absolutely fascinating. When you write your book I would ove an autographed copy.
@verga

When I do, you'll get one!

If you want the real inside stories about the network radio era, I recommend these books (I listed some of them earlier, but what the hell, they deserve a rerun . . . ) . . .

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:16:00 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #1573 on: January 01, 2021, 10:44:57 pm »
@berdie

Apparently, he was---during those legendary after-show performances. On the air, Skelton wasn't even close to being that edgy. If anyone actually on the air could have been called the Robin Williams of old-time radio, it was probably Henry Morgan. Taking cues from his hero Fred Allen, Morgan went even farther with freewheeling barbs aimed at radio's very industry, and he was one of the first radio comedians to zap his own sponsors on the air.

In fact, once upon a time Morgan's sponsor zaps actually increased business for the company. His early, fully improvised, three-times-weekly fifteen-minute shows for Mutual Broadcasting System were sponsored by the Adler shoe store chain and the company's "elevator shoes." (The company claimed its elevator shoes would add two inches to a man's height; Morgan retorted by wondering what would happen to his pants in that case.) Morgan was thatclose to being dumped by the chain over his barbs at "old man Adler" . . . until someone told the actual old man, Jesse Adler, that people were flocking to the Adler stores hoping to meet Old Man Adler himself!

One of Morgan's later sponsors wasn't quite that amused by a Morgan barb sticking in its ample craw: while Morgan was still on Mutual, his sponsorship was taken over by Life-Savers candy. Morgan zapped Life-Savers for cheating the public with the holes in the middle and offered to sell the drilled-out bits as "Morgan's Mint Middles." Life-Savers dropped him.

That was pre-World War II. After the war, Morgan was picked up for a weekly half-hour series on ABC. The network that was created after NBC was forced to spit off its Blue Network in an anti-trust action. The network bought (and re-named to ABC) by . . . Edward J. Noble, chief of Life-Savers. His half-hour was sponsored by Eversharp for its Schick injector razor, which it liked to push with "just push-pull, click-click"----whoops! Morgan couldn't resist such barbs as "push-pull, nick-nick!" and, on a show he dedicated to education, "They're educational. Try one. That'll teach you."

Morgan even made the military nervous. Sometimes, he liked to end a show with a joky weather report, such as "High winds, followed by high skirts, followed by men"; and, "Muggy tomorrow, followed by Tuegy, Wedgy, Thurgy, and Frigy." The Navy wasn't amused and actually tried to pressure Morgan's networks into putting a stop to them.

(In fairness, Morgan wasn't the only radio comedy figure who got a military boot in the backside. The Air Force's recruiting service sponsored mr. ace and JANE, a half-hour update of Goodman Ace's earlier, fifteen-minute serial comedy Easy Aces, in 1948. They sponsored the new show, that is, until Ace wrote and the show delivered two wicked satires of civil courtroom trials, an episode in which Ace's malapropping wife Jane found herself on a jury and promptly drove the court to the rye bottle and back. [The penultimate punch line: the judge fining Mr. Ace $50 dollars for being married to her in the first place.] The Air Force objected to the satire for "undermining" the rule of law and dropped the show promptly. Not to worry: the show was picked up at once by General Foods for Jell-O. What was to worry: the show didn't take hold quite the way Ace's earlier exercise did: Easy Aces had lasted fifteen years; mr. ace and JANE one.)

Morgan's once-famous sign-on, "Good evening, anybody, here's Morgan," was a zap at Kate Smith's "Hello, everybody!" sign-on. Morgan once explained it: Kate Smith thought everybody really was listening to her; I, on the other hand, was grateful if anybody was listening.

Even late in his life, Morgan couldn't resist digs at sponsors. Hosting a little radio slot in New York near the end of his life, Morgan did a bit looking back on the classic radio era and couldn't resist singing a once-famous jingle for a popular soda:

Pepsi-Cola hits the spot
Twelve full ounces, that's a lot
Twice as much for a nickel, too---
Pepsi-Cola is the drink for you.

The problem was . . . the slot was sponsored by Coca-Cola!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:46:54 pm by EasyAce »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #1574 on: January 01, 2021, 11:45:00 pm »
@EasyAce @jmyrlefuller

I enjoyed both of your posts so much! Thank you both.

Red Skelton was one of the funniest men I ever saw, I was fortunate enough to see two of his shows in later years and even to talk with him from time to time at his shop in Orange, CA. Red Skelton invariably did the Pledge Of Allegiance with an explanation of the words.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Also Red Skelton ended every single show with "God Bless".

I agree that Robin Williams was a very guy but in my opinion he was no Red Skelton.

Here is some history about who was responsible for Red Skelton's success. https://blog.history.in.gov/tag/guzzlers-gin/

Here is his Guzzlers Gin bit, you might notice just how much of Lucy's Vita Vita Vegamin bit lifts from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4mgHNX9eUg&ab_channel=ycbsiiw