Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96087 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #675 on: May 09, 2020, 02:43:08 pm »
THERE's a shock!
Little Richard was openly "ex-gay." The alphabet soup lobby doesn't like those types because it tears down their notion that it isn't a choice. Little Richard chose to reject it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #676 on: May 09, 2020, 02:44:09 pm »
I have a funny Little Richard story. I have to confess, I heard his music in HS, but didn’t know he sang it. I saw him on an episode of “Columbo” in the late 80s, and did a backward dive from there into his music. And loved it!

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #677 on: May 09, 2020, 02:44:10 pm »
Believe me, there is nothing merciful about spending a few days fighting to breathe, drowning in your own lung fluids...

@Smokin Joe

Compared to spending a few weeks or months doing the same or even worse,it ain't all that bad.

BTW,I have lymphoma,and know a little something about lungs and other organs being filled with fluid,myself. I actually lost 5 pounds in the last 3 days after my  left leg got so swollen with fluid it burst,and a lot of it drained. Damn thing was so big I had to wear shorts because even the legs of my Levi's were too small for my left leg.

And this ain't the first time,and "Yes,I AM taking fluid pills." I take 3 different ones every day.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #678 on: May 09, 2020, 02:46:33 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Compared to spending a few weeks or months doing the same or even worse,it ain't all that bad.

BTW,I have lymphoma,and know a little something about lungs and other organs being filled with fluid,myself. I actually lost 5 pounds in the last 3 days after my  left leg got so swollen with fluid it burst,and a lot of it drained. Damn thing was so big I had to wear shorts because even the legs of my Levi's were too small for my left leg.

And this ain't the first time,and "Yes,I AM taking fluid pills." I take 3 different ones every day. I still can't bend over without losing my breath and getting dizzy due to the pressure it puts on my diaphragm that cuts off all my air.

And "yes,it COULD be worse." Probably will be before it's over.

NEVER say it CAN'T get worse. Mother Nature is a cranky old bitch,and might see that as a challenge.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #679 on: May 09, 2020, 02:48:58 pm »
This one really hurts. Thank you for all the wonderful music. Heaven has a rocking new angel. RIP.

@Gefn

He and Jerry Lee were the most exciting things going back then. Especially "The Killer". He walked out on the stage,sat down at his piano,and just exploded. NOBODY could compare to The Killer in his prime.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2020, 03:19:15 pm »
@Gefn

He and Jerry Lee were the most exciting things going back then. Especially "The Killer". He walked out on the stage,sat down at his piano,and just exploded. NOBODY could compare to The Killer in his prime.

I got into 50s music in my late twenties, growing up my parents mostly listened to Broadway records, Sinatra, and other crooners, and classical. I heard late 60s and 70s from the radio and whatnot. But I really knew for the most part, pop stuff from this era, not real proper rock. I’m grateful To who’s benefit was a musician and let me listen to so many great bands from the 70s that I only heard of their names but never the music.
@sneakypete
@sneakypete
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #681 on: May 09, 2020, 03:22:50 pm »
I got into 50s music in my late twenties, growing up my parents mostly listened to Broadway records, Sinatra, and other crooners, and classical. I heard late 60s and 70s from the radio and whatnot. But I really knew for the most part, pop stuff from this era, not real proper rock. I’m grateful To who’s benefit was a musician and let me listen to so many great bands from the 70s that I only heard of their names but never the music.
@sneakypete
@sneakypete
@Gefn

A kid out of Detroit made bloody sure Little Richard was part of his first two R&B-medley hit singles . . .

Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, "Jenny Take a Ride"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels, "Devil with a Blue Dress"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #682 on: May 09, 2020, 04:00:59 pm »
@sneakypete
@sneakypete

@Gefn

Do yourself a favor and go to You Boob and look for videos of Jerry Lee Lewis and James Brown performing live.

You just ain't going to believe what you hear AND see.

There is one video there of Jerry Lee performing live at a state fair somewhere when he is well into his 70's,and admission is free because nobody knows who he is. You can see the folding chairs lined up and the sign saying "Jerry Lee Lewis,performing LIVE!" as whoever filmed it started filming early. Soon,Jerry Lee walks out on the stage to play for people who obviously have no freaking idea who he is,sits down at his piano,turns to the audience,and says into the microphone,"Hello,I am Jerry Lee Lewis,try to hold on to whatever it is you got." and breaks into "Great Balls of Fire"

Within seconds people were kicking the folding chairs out of the way to make room to dance. The looks on some of their faces is priceless as they discover what it is they came to see and hear. Like children on Christmas morning.

They didn't call Jerry Lee "The Killer" for nothing. NOBODY wanted to follow him on stage.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 04:02:01 pm by sneakypete »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #683 on: May 09, 2020, 04:04:30 pm »
@Gefn

Do yourself a favor and go to You Boob and look for videos of Jerry Lee Lewis and James Brown performing live.

You just ain't going to believe what you hear AND see.

There is one video there of Jerry Lee performing live at a state fair somewhere when he is well into his 70's,and admission is free because nobody knows who he is. You can see the folding chairs lined up and the sign saying "Jerry Lee Lewis,performing LIVE!" as whoever filmed it started filming early. Soon,Jerry Lee walks out on the stage to play for people who obviously have no freaking idea who he is,sits down at his piano,turns to the audience,and says into the microphone,"Hello,I am Jerry Lee Lewis,try to hold on to whatever it is you got." and breaks into "Great Balls of Fire"

Within seconds people were kicking the folding chairs out of the way to make room to dance. The looks on some of their faces is priceless as they discover what it is they came to see and hear. Like children on Christmas morning.

They didn't call Jerry Lee "The Killer" for nothing. NOBODY wanted to follow him on stage.
I saw Jerry Lee at Mickey Gilley's back in 1980, not long after they filmed that movie down there. I didn't really know who he was when I got there, but I sure did when I left. Another high energy performer.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #684 on: May 09, 2020, 04:33:49 pm »
Another of my favorite oldtime rock n rollers gone.  Little Richard was one of the greats -- truly a pioneer. 

Rest in peace, Rev. Penniman.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #685 on: May 09, 2020, 04:58:17 pm »
I love early R& R, and all the people, groups, styles that got it going. and still keep it going

country, hilbilly, blues, jazz, folk, dance, etc.

Adios, Little Richard.

Members of Little Richard's band included James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Billy Preston.

If you love Rock, and the history, the Wiki ispacked with Richard's huge impact on the music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Richard

How about a trubute album to Johnny Cash?

« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 07:57:40 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

« Reply #686 on: May 09, 2020, 05:11:59 pm »
@Gefn

@sneakypete

You and I talked about Jerry Lee Lewis before and I told you I saw him play several years ago.  He's in his 80s now -- back then he would have been in his late 70s.  Trust me, the Killer could still wow an audience. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #687 on: May 09, 2020, 06:44:23 pm »
Love the "honky tonk" piano....

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ6akiGRcL8
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #688 on: May 09, 2020, 08:53:34 pm »
How about a trubute album to Johnny Cash?

I think the last thing Johnny Cash did was a cover of Hurt -Nine Inch Nails
It is not very often that a cover is better than the original, but wow, did Cash nail that. And totally changed the meaning while he was at it.

Very apropos for the obits btw...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #689 on: May 10, 2020, 12:43:02 am »

My remark was that supposeddly LR did some cover of Cash songs.

There was some tie between country and race music in the early days.

Ray Charles did a full country album, or more.

The Supremes did a country album.

highly regarded country, rythm & blues album

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:45:32 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #690 on: May 10, 2020, 12:46:57 am »

Ray Charles did a full country album, or more.

The Supremes did a country album.

I had absolutely no idea that the Supremes or Ray Charles did a country album.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #691 on: May 10, 2020, 01:10:07 am »
I had absolutely no idea that the Supremes or Ray Charles did a country album.
@libertybele
He did two, the first in 1962 on the ABC-Paramount label, and it yielded one of his biggest hits . . .

Ray Charles, "I Can't Stop Loving You"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:52:17 am by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #692 on: May 10, 2020, 01:12:26 am »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #693 on: May 10, 2020, 01:45:17 am »
He did two, the first in 1962 on the ABC-Paramount label, and it yielded one of his biggest hits . . .

I think dad still has that album. Listened to it more times I could count as a young child.
The Republic is lost.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #694 on: May 10, 2020, 02:03:54 am »
Little Richard was like one of the primorial gods that sprang forth out of the void, along with Elvis, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Carl Perkins, etc, and the foundation upon which everything was built on.

RIP to a true talent pioneer.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #695 on: May 10, 2020, 06:07:06 am »
I think the last thing Johnny Cash did was a cover of Hurt -Nine Inch Nails
It is not very often that a cover is better than the original, but wow, did Cash nail that. And totally changed the meaning while he was at it.

@roamer_1

I would have never believed it myself if I hadn't heard it. TOTALLY out of his genre,and at his age with his level of sickness,seemingly impossible to do and hit it out of the park.

Who would have ever thought Johnny Cash would outlive June Carter?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #696 on: May 10, 2020, 06:09:15 am »
@roamer_1

I would have never believed it myself if I hadn't heard it. TOTALLY out of his genre,and at his age with his level of sickness,seemingly impossible to do and hit it out of the park.

Who would have ever thought Johnny Cash would outlive June Carter?

@sneakypete  IKnowRight? (on both counts)  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #697 on: May 10, 2020, 06:11:16 am »

@truth_seeker

Yup,and it was called "Fundie Protestant Churches". The root of ALL "American music".

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #698 on: May 10, 2020, 01:26:48 pm »
Little Richard was like one of the primorial gods that sprang forth out of the void, along with Elvis, Bill Haley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, and Carl Perkins, etc, and the foundation upon which everything was built on.

RIP to a true talent pioneer.
Don't forget Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Link Wray, etal.
One huge question I have is given the talent of those rnr titans, how did rock degenerate so bad in the late fifties until the Beatles arrived on the scene?
On Sirius radio some months ago they put on the top hits of 1961. The wife and I gagged at all the maudlin, sappy tunes that were hits at the time. Bob Dylan was right....rock at that time was, in his words,  "a piece of cream."
Frankie Avalon. Paul Anka?  :3:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:28:13 pm by goatprairie »

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #699 on: May 10, 2020, 02:55:29 pm »
Don't forget Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Link Wray, etal.
One huge question I have is given the talent of those rnr titans, how did rock degenerate so bad in the late fifties until the Beatles arrived on the scene?
On Sirius radio some months ago they put on the top hits of 1961. The wife and I gagged at all the maudlin, sappy tunes that were hits at the time. Bob Dylan was right....rock at that time was, in his words,  "a piece of cream."
Frankie Avalon. Paul Anka?  :3:
Two factors: the Baby Boomers turned 13 in 1959, meaning you had a bunch of swooning teen girls coming of age, and organized crime was filtering into the music industry in the major cities. Look at how many of the major names of that era were East Coast Italians. It was no coincidence... it was becoming, in the words of the late Frank Zappa, "strictly commercial."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024