Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96079 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #625 on: April 26, 2020, 02:02:34 am »
That song was written about what it was like working at Western State Hospital - a mental institution.
@Hoodat
That was the second-best song I ever heard about a mental institution.

The first-best . . .

The Move, "Cherry Blossom Clinic"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I also remember the Statlers as part of Johnny Cash's show in the later 1960s/early 1970s.

RIP Mr. Reid.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #626 on: April 26, 2020, 03:11:16 am »
That song was written about what it was like working at Western State Hospital - a mental institution.

@Hoodat

There are some things I don't even want to hear rumors about,never mind facts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Hoodat

« Reply #627 on: April 26, 2020, 03:52:31 am »
I keep hearin' you're concerned about my happiness
But all that thought you're givin' me is conscience I guess
If I was walkin' in your shoes, I wouldn't worry none
While you 'n' your friends are worried about me I'm havin' lots of fun

Countin' flowers on the wall
That don't bother me at all
Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one
Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' captain kangaroo
Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Last night I dressed in tails, pretended I was on the town
As long as I can dream it's hard to slow this swinger down
So please don't give a thought to me, I'm really doin' fine
You can always find me here, I'm havin' quite a time

It's good to see you, I must go, I know I look a fright
Anyway my eyes are not accustomed to this light
And my shoes are not accustomed to this hard concrete
So I must go back to my room and make my day complete

Don't tell me I've nothin' to do

-Lew DeWitt-
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #628 on: April 26, 2020, 04:27:33 am »
That sucks.  Glad to know he still lived in Staunton.

@verga - Augusta County ping
Yep. RIP, and I even know how to pronounce his hometown...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #629 on: April 26, 2020, 03:27:16 pm »
I even know how to pronounce his hometown...

Big points for you, @Smokin Joe
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline verga

« Reply #630 on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:11 pm »
That sucks.  Glad to know he still lived in Staunton.

@verga - Augusta County ping
People here are having a tough time over this. Near the wharf they have these Bronze stols as a tribute to the group. Lots of wreaths and candles.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #631 on: April 27, 2020, 11:34:37 pm »
Big points for you, @Smokin Joe
I went to College in Harrisonburg.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #632 on: April 28, 2020, 12:00:37 am »
I went to College in Harrisonburg.

I grew up in Waynesboro.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #633 on: April 28, 2020, 12:01:57 am »
I grew up in Waynesboro.
I dated a gal from there briefly. There was an old manganese prospect near there that I have a couple of samples from to this day.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #634 on: April 28, 2020, 02:01:17 pm »
I dated a gal from there briefly. There was an old manganese prospect near there that I have a couple of samples from to this day.

@Smokin Joe

You dated a woman from there,and what you remember are the rocks?????

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #635 on: April 28, 2020, 02:09:51 pm »
That pretty much sums up that relationship! (j/k, Joe).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #636 on: April 28, 2020, 02:38:03 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Rocks endure. That relationship did not. I recall quite a bit about her, but will mention none of that here.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #637 on: April 28, 2020, 03:07:28 pm »
Rocks endure. That relationship did not. I recall quite a bit about her, but will mention none of that here.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,THAT I can relate to.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #638 on: April 29, 2020, 05:24:11 am »
@Smokin Joe

The Crimora Mine was at one time the biggest manganese producer in the US.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #639 on: April 29, 2020, 05:49:15 am »

@Hoodat

Oh,well,that makes it understandable.  :thud:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #640 on: April 29, 2020, 10:45:44 am »
Considering the Catoctin greenstone is a Precambrian metamorphosed basalt, I wonder if that manganese deposit wasn't from some ancient black smokers (seafloor hydrothermal vents).

C S Lewis

Offline MOD3

« Reply #641 on: April 29, 2020, 03:29:57 pm »
Could we get back to the topic of this thread?

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #642 on: May 02, 2020, 12:33:30 pm »
Sam Lloyd, ‘Scrubs’ Actor, Dies at 56

Sam Lloyd, an actor best known for portraying lawyer Ted Buckland on “Scrubs,” has died, his agent confirmed to Variety. He was 56.

In January 2019, Lloyd was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and cancer, which eventually spread to his lungs, jaw, liver and spine. He received the diagnosis just weeks after his wife, Vanessa, gave birth to their first child.

Over the course of his three-decade career in television and film, Lloyd also held roles on shows like “Desperate Housewives,” “Seinfeld,” “Modern Family,” “The West Wing,” “Cougar Town,” “Malcolm in the Middle” and “Shameless,” as well as films “Flubber” and “Galaxy Quest.”

Lloyd was also a talented musician. He sang in a cappella group The Blanks – which made several appearances on “Scrubs” as The Worthless Peons – and played bass guitar in The Butties, a Beatles tribute band. Lloyd had also been slated to direct a country rock musical, “With Pam and Gil,” which was put on pause when he received his diagnosis.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sam-lloyd-dead-dies-scrubs-ted-1234596010/

I never saw “Scrubs” until it was on Netflix. This guy was really good in his role and a dang good singer. 56 is still young, and with his brain cancer metastasizing like it did, it must have been awful. RIP.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #643 on: May 02, 2020, 01:25:37 pm »
He was hilarious in "Scrubs." One of my favorite The Worthless Peons tunes (Sam is second from left):

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #644 on: May 02, 2020, 04:45:05 pm »
Sam Lloyd, ‘Scrubs’ Actor, Dies at 56

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/sam-lloyd-dead-dies-scrubs-ted-1234596010/

I never saw “Scrubs” until it was on Netflix. This guy was really good in his role and a dang good singer. 56 is still young, and with his brain cancer metastasizing like it did, it must have been awful. RIP.

@Gefn

This one is damn near personal to me. GREAT actor,and funny as hell as well as being a talented singer. I am glad he had the knowledge he was fathering a child before he died. It MIGHT have given him a little comfort.

I still get a belly laugh every time I remember he and Carla singing a Acapella cover of "Poisons" "Talk Dirty to Me" to a patient who is dying as his last request. The look he gives Carla and the look she returns once she realizes he is doing it is comedic gold. Then again,he and Carla were my two favorite characters.

Here it is.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Anybody that hasn't watched "Scrubs" and who likes to laugh owes it to themselves to start at Season 1 Episode 1,and work their way forward. Was some genius comedy going on there!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:49:54 pm by sneakypete »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #645 on: May 04, 2020, 02:32:39 pm »
Don Shula
NFL coaching legend dies at 90

Shula, who played defensive back in the NFL for seven seasons in the 1950s, was a head coach for 33 consecutive seasons in the NFL, first with the Baltimore Colts, then with the Miami Dolphins. He won three NFL championships in his tenure, one with Baltimore (though he was on the losing end of Super Bowl III) and two with Miami, including the league's only perfect season in 1972. His 328 wins are the most by any coach in NFL history. He was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1997.

Obituary from ESPN

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:46:34 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #646 on: May 04, 2020, 02:36:26 pm »
Don Shula
NFL coaching legend dies at 90

Maybe his best legacy?  17-0. Never matched, and might not ever be matched
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #647 on: May 04, 2020, 03:02:22 pm »
Eerie.  I was just thinking about Mr. Shula a couple of days ago -- something on the news about the greatest NFL coaches.  Certainly, he qualified.  I looked up some of his stats -- impressive indeed.   And he was a standup guy in his personal life. Married to the same woman till she passed in the 1990s.  Still married to his second wife since 1993.    Devout Roman Catholic.  Never heard of any scandals associated with him. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Shula. 

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #648 on: May 04, 2020, 04:51:15 pm »
Maybe his best legacy?  17-0. Never matched, and might not ever be matched
His real legacy---he's the coach you probably didn't want coaching your team in the biggest of the big games:

* Shula's record in championship games, whether pre-merger or the Super Bowl: 2-5. (His 1972-73 Dolphins, of course, but also his 1963-64 Baltimore Colts---against whom a comparatively unknown guy named Frank Ryan matched Hall of Famer Johnny Unitas in a first half shutout, then led the Browns to riddle the Colt defense and score the game's entire 27 points in the second half.)

* Shula's teams were out-scored in championship games, 142-81.

* His teams were out-scored in the second halves of championship games, 91-14.

* In the five championship game losses his teams were out-scored 77-7. (The 7, of course, came very late in Super Bowl III.)

* In five championship games including one his team won (his undefeated Dolphins against the Redskins), Shula's teams were shut out in the second half.

* The total score against Shula's teams in those second-half shutouts: 75-0.

* Maybe the major key: Shula teams were too predictable on defense and Shula either couldn't or wouldn't adjust during the games. (Two key Super Bowl III participants---Jets quarterback Joe Namath and Colts defensive end Bubba Smith---described that very well in their memoirs.)

A good man. A great regular-season coach. But you didn't want him coaching the big game for you.

RIP.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:52:33 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #649 on: May 04, 2020, 05:08:35 pm »
His real legacy---he's the coach you probably didn't want coaching your team in the biggest of the big games:

* Shula's record in championship games, whether pre-merger or the Super Bowl: 2-5. (His 1972-73 Dolphins, of course, but also his 1963-64 Baltimore Colts---against whom a comparatively unknown guy named Frank Ryan matched Hall of Famer Johnny Unitas in a first half shutout, then led the Browns to riddle the Colt defense and score the game's entire 27 points in the second half.)

* Shula's teams were out-scored in championship games, 142-81.

* His teams were out-scored in the second halves of championship games, 91-14.

* In the five championship game losses his teams were out-scored 77-7. (The 7, of course, came very late in Super Bowl III.)

* In five championship games including one his team won (his undefeated Dolphins against the Redskins), Shula's teams were shut out in the second half.

* The total score against Shula's teams in those second-half shutouts: 75-0.

* Maybe the major key: Shula teams were too predictable on defense and Shula either couldn't or wouldn't adjust during the games. (Two key Super Bowl III participants---Jets quarterback Joe Namath and Colts defensive end Bubba Smith---described that very well in their memoirs.)

A good man. A great regular-season coach. But you didn't want him coaching the big game for you.

RIP.
I certainly didn't hate Shula or dislike him, I just thought he was too conservative early on.
He rarely used what I considered one of the top receivers in the league, Paul Warfield.
He had two thousand yard runners, Csonka and Morris, who almost achieved one thousand yards two years in a row, '72 and '73. Morris barely missed getting one thousand yards in '73.
But I still felt Warfield was underused.
Of course, the facts argue against me.
In his first season he turned the Dolphins around and won two consecutive SBs in five years with a strong running game.
So what do I know?