Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96109 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #600 on: April 16, 2020, 11:57:59 pm »
Loved him in The Blacklist. I didn't even realize for a bit that it was even him.

He was almost Golden-Age-of-Hollywood iconic.

@Free Vulcan

Well,depending on how old we each are,we all have different opinions of when the Golden Age was.

To me,George Kennedy personified the Golden Age of Movies. Never really a major star,but seeing him listed as a co-star was a guarantee I was going to see that movie.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #601 on: April 17, 2020, 12:00:11 am »
@Smokin Joe

You have to give him credit for that.
Actually, I do give him credit for that. He did serve, just not in combat.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #602 on: April 17, 2020, 12:20:44 am »
Actually, I do give him credit for that. He did serve, just not in combat.

@Smokin Joe

Most of the people in the military have support unit jobs,and never see combat anyhow.

I read an estimate once that claimed it took 10 people working support in the rear to keep 1 soldier in combat supplied and ready to fight.

I see no reason to disbelieve this.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #603 on: April 17, 2020, 12:35:46 am »
@Smokin Joe

Most of the people in the military have support unit jobs,and never see combat anyhow.

I read an estimate once that claimed it took 10 people working support in the rear to keep 1 soldier in combat supplied and ready to fight.

I see no reason to disbelieve this.
Nor do I. One of the guys I knew who served in Vietnam got a funny look on his face when I thanked him, long before it was popular. He griped, "Hell I was just a telephone guy in Saigon..."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

« Reply #604 on: April 20, 2020, 08:28:33 pm »

'Green Acres' star Tom Lester dead at 81
Stephanie Nolasco | Fox News

Tom Lester, a devoted evangelist who starred as friendly farmhand Eb Dawson on the ‘60s series “Green Acres,” has died. He was 81.

He died of complications from Parkinson’s disease in the Nashville home of his fiancée and long-term caregiver Jackie Peters on Monday, Mississippi’s Laurel Leader-Call reported. His brother Michael Lester did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment. ...

“Three weeks went by and Mrs. Henning called me on the phone and said, ‘Tom, we tried to reach you last night,’” he said. “’Mr. Henning wants you to get over to the studio as fast as you can and read for the part of Eb on ‘Green Acres.’”

According to Hollywood legend, Lester beat out 400 other actors for the role because he knew how to milk a cow.  ... More at FOX News

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #605 on: April 20, 2020, 11:11:17 pm »
'Green Acres' star Tom Lester dead at 81
Stephanie Nolasco | Fox News

Tom Lester, a devoted evangelist who starred as friendly farmhand Eb Dawson on the ‘60s series “Green Acres,” has died. He was 81.

He died of complications from Parkinson’s disease in the Nashville home of his fiancée

He was 81 and had a fiancee? Ya just gotta love an optimist. Nobody can ever say this guy was a quitter.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #606 on: April 20, 2020, 11:15:56 pm »

He was 81 and had a fiancee? Ya just gotta love an optimist. Nobody can ever say this guy was a quitter.

You got dat right!  She was a long-term care-giver, so good on her!  Tom Lester must have really been a good guy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #607 on: April 20, 2020, 11:57:01 pm »
You got dat right!  She was a long-term care-giver, so good on her!  Tom Lester must have really been a good guy.

@Cyber Liberty

Not to mention a lucky man that was wise enough to recognize he was lucky.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #608 on: April 21, 2020, 12:04:01 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Not to mention a lucky man that was wise enough to recognize he was lucky.

Like me!  I married up when I snagged @Slip18!  She improved me, and my life.  I was not a pleasant person pre-Slippy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #609 on: April 21, 2020, 12:40:50 am »
Like me!  I married up when I snagged @Slip18!  She improved me, and my life.  I was not a pleasant person pre-Slippy.

@Cyber Liberty

That makes you double lucky.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #610 on: April 21, 2020, 12:42:49 am »
@Cyber Liberty

That makes you double lucky.

Agreed.  I wish all men were as lucky as I in that regard!
I will NOT comply.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #611 on: April 22, 2020, 07:50:05 pm »
Shirley Knight, Adventurous Actress and Two-Time Oscar Nominee, Dies at 83
Mike Barnes
2 hrs ago

Shirley Knight, the daring actress and darling of Tennessee Williams who received Oscar nominations for her work in her third and fourth films, The Dark at the Top of the Stairs and Sweet Bird of Youth, has died. She was 83.

Knight died Wednesday of natural causes at the home of her daughter, actress Kaitlin Hopkins, in San Marcos, Texas.

Knight was known for taking bold chances during her career — as when she portrayed a promiscuous woman who confronts a young black male (Al Freeman Jr.) on the New York subway in the incendiary 1966 independent film Dutchman (1966) or when she played a pregnant Long Island housewife who gets involved with an ex-football player (James Caan) in The Rain People (1969), a film Francis Ford Coppola wrote just for her. ... More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #612 on: April 24, 2020, 02:05:06 pm »
Gene Deitch
Controversial animator dies at 95

In 1959, Deitch, who had done some work for the UPA and Terrytoons studios in the late 1950s, defected to Communist Czechoslovakia after a filmmaker promised to fund his polemic (yet Oscar-winning) film Munro (in which the military drafts a four-year-old). Over the next five years, Deitch's Prague studio contracted with the American studios that were cutting back to limited animation styles as television was gaining supremacy over cinema. He produced Popeye shorts, a revival of Krazy Kat, and most polarizingly, Tom and Jerry—this despite his despising Tom and Jerry's creators, William Hanna and Joseph Barbera. Deitch's absurdly violent Tom and Jerry shorts, lacking the animation style and subtlety of the Hanna-Barbera shorts, were considered among the worst of the series, and in 1963, MGM ended its relationship with Deitch and hired Chuck Jones to continue the series instead.

In the 1970s, Deitch was in contact with E.B. White trying to arrange a film adaptation of Charlotte's Web. The project fell through and his nemeses, Hanna and Barbera, ended up making the film instead; Deitch went to his grave insisting his film would have been better. He spent most of the rest of his career with Weston Woods Studios, which produced educational films.

Deitch died April 16 from intestinal problems.

Obituary

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #613 on: April 24, 2020, 02:47:00 pm »
Gene Deitch
Controversial animator dies at 95

@jmyrlefuller

Good riddance to bad trash,even if it happened over a half-century longer than it should have.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #615 on: April 24, 2020, 04:43:37 pm »
Minor league pitching legend Steve Dalkowski---the real-life inspiration for Bull Durham's Nuke LaLoosh---is dead at 80.
Considering how wild he was, I wonder how close the batters stood to the plate after seeing how fast he was and how his pitches enveloped a fairly large area near home plate.
Why risk a possible fatal head injury just to challenge him and possibly get a piece of your bat on the ball?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 04:44:27 pm by goatprairie »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #616 on: April 24, 2020, 05:52:34 pm »
Considering how wild he was, I wonder how close the batters stood to the plate after seeing how fast he was and how his pitches enveloped a fairly large area near home plate.
Why risk a possible fatal head injury just to challenge him and possibly get a piece of your bat on the ball?
@goatprairie
Dalkowski was actually wild high and low, not inside and out. He did hit a few batters in his playing days, but the bigger concern on him was that his ball went wild low and wild high.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #617 on: April 24, 2020, 05:58:10 pm »
@goatprairie
Dalkowski was actually wild high and low, not inside and out. He did hit a few batters in his playing days, but the bigger concern on him was that his ball went wild low and wild high.
Yeah, but would you want to take a chance getting close to the plate if you couldn't see the ball as it passed by you? Even Ted Williams, who batted against Dalkowski in an exhibition game, said he never wanted to face him again. If Ted Williams could barely see the ball, I wouldn't be stepping too close to the plate.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #618 on: April 24, 2020, 06:17:33 pm »
Yeah, but would you want to take a chance getting close to the plate if you couldn't see the ball as it passed by you? Even Ted Williams, who batted against Dalkowski in an exhibition game, said he never wanted to face him again. If Ted Williams could barely see the ball, I wouldn't be stepping too close to the plate.

Most of the Dalkowski stories — throwing a ball through a wooden fence, throwing at hecklers in the stands, hitting hot dog vendors behind home plate, shattering an umpire’s facemask, Ted Williams asking to face him in the batting cage but changing his mind after watching Dalkowski throw — are unverifiable, passed and stretched like folk tales from one minor leaguer to another across the decades.”---Pat Jordan, pitcher-turned-writer, Sports Illustrated, in 1970.

A guy who's wild high and wild low is a lot safer to face than a guy who's wild inside and out. You could crowd the plate a bit on a wild-high/wild-low with a lot less risk than if you crowded against a guy who's wild-inside.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #619 on: April 24, 2020, 06:37:18 pm »

Ryne Duren was fast but also wild.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #620 on: April 24, 2020, 06:42:23 pm »
Ryne Duren was fast but also wild.
If he'd been Dalkowski's kind of wild he never would have pitched in the Show as he did for ten seasons. (Duren, too, had a battle with the bottle---when he was a Washington Senator, Gil Hodges talked him out of a suicide attempt in his final major league season. Duren cleaned up and became an alcohol counselor and teacher for most of the rest of his life.)

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #621 on: April 24, 2020, 07:48:33 pm »
Most of the Dalkowski stories — throwing a ball through a wooden fence, throwing at hecklers in the stands, hitting hot dog vendors behind home plate, shattering an umpire’s facemask, Ted Williams asking to face him in the batting cage but changing his mind after watching Dalkowski throw — are unverifiable, passed and stretched like folk tales from one minor leaguer to another across the decades.”---Pat Jordan, pitcher-turned-writer, Sports Illustrated, in 1970.

A guy who's wild high and wild low is a lot safer to face than a guy who's wild inside and out. You could crowd the plate a bit on a wild-high/wild-low with a lot less risk than if you crowded against a guy who's wild-inside.
I still wouldn't be crowding the plate. I think I'd have my heels on the furthest edge of the batter's box. And maybe leaning back a bit.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #622 on: April 25, 2020, 11:56:12 pm »
Harold Reid, Statler Brothers bass singer, dies at 80

Harold Reid, who sang bass for the Grammy-winning country group the Statler Brothers, has died after a long battle with kidney failure. He was 80.

Reid died Friday in his hometown of Staunton, Virginia, his nephew Debo Reid said.

The Statler Brothers frequently sang backup for country icon Johnny Cash. Some of their biggest hits included 1965's “Flowers on the Wall” and 1970′s “Bed of Rose’s.”

https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Harold-Reid-Statler-Brothers-bass-singer-dies-15225823.php

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #623 on: April 26, 2020, 01:10:54 am »
Harold Reid, Statler Brothers bass singer, dies at 80

That sucks.  Glad to know he still lived in Staunton.

@verga - Augusta County ping
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #624 on: April 26, 2020, 01:13:07 am »
Some of their biggest hits included 1965's “Flowers on the Wall”

That song was written about what it was like working at Western State Hospital - a mental institution.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-