Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96091 times)

Offline goatprairie

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #575 on: April 13, 2020, 05:22:32 pm »
Bill James did a few times, in his old annual Baseball Abstracts and in The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract.
And his conclusions were?

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #576 on: April 13, 2020, 05:59:20 pm »
And his conclusions were?
Generally (I'm summarising all the ones I did see) that players like Honus Wagner in his time were anomalous among middle infielders, even in an era where hitting wasn't all that tough or dangerous and a middle infielder was more vulnerable to hard sliding than hard hitting coming his way; and, that decades later middle infielders like Joe Morgan, Cal Ripken, Ryne Sandberg, Roberto Alomar, Nomar Garciaparra, and Alex Rodriguez were likewise---you didn't see too many middle infielders who had their kind of batting skills (with and without power hitting thrown in) too often, particularly when you consider that middle infield play is as rough as it gets. They still seem few and far between enough now, with certain exceptions to the rule.

Sandberg in particular was even more anomalous---he had the batting skills of a number three or even a cleanup hitter but he was almost never batted in those spots. And for a good portion of his career, the Cubs had a first baseman who had the batting skills more of an early-in-the-order man than a number three or cleanup hitter, yet Mark Grace was batted number three for just about his entire career. You wonder: 1) Sandberg would probably have been a Hall of Famer wherever he batted, but you can't help pondering how much thicker his batting stats would have been if he'd been batted third or cleanup. 2) Grace fell short of the Hall of Fame but you can't help wondering, looking at his batting stats, whether he'd have crossed the threshold if he'd been batted where his skills really belonged, in the number two hole that Sandberg usually occupied.

But then that was still an era in which the Cubs were many things but forward or out-of-the-box thinkers wasn't one of those things. They were still wedded to the idea that a middle infielder belonged at or near the top of the order and a first baseman belonged in the middle. They didn't stop to think about those players' batting skills as they actually were and batting them accordingly. They were hardly the only team guilty of that.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #577 on: April 13, 2020, 06:06:09 pm »
Doug Sanders, 20-time PGA Tour winner and four-time major runner-up, dies
By Joel Beall
April 12, 2020
Doug Sanders, one of the more colorful personalities in the PGA Tour's tapestry, died in Houston on Sunday.

Sanders was a 20-time winner on Tour, which included a victory at the 1956 Canadian Open as an amateur, the last amateur to win a Tour event until Scott Verplank's victory in the 1985 Western Open. But Sanders was just as well known for finishing second 20 times, including four runner-ups at majors, the most notable coming at the 1970 Open Championship after failing to convert a three-foot putt at St. Andrews. Sanders would lose to Jack Nicklaus the next day in an 18-hole playoff by a shot. ...

Sanders was also famous for his bright ensembles. His wardrobes, often painted in rainbow colors, led to the nickname "the Peacock of the Fairways," and he was once named by Esquire as one of America’s “Ten Best Dressed Jocks." He told Golf Digest in 2007, "The two most frequent questions on tour were, ‘What did Arnold Palmer shoot?’ and ‘What’s Doug Sanders wearing?' " Sanders boasted that he owned over 350 pairs of golf and dress shoes, and operated his own dry cleaning chain in the 1960s.   ...

Sanders died Sunday of natural causes. He was 86 years old.

Story at Golf Digest

This story recounts some of his adventures, his being an honorary member of the Rat Pack, and other exploits.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:09:45 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #578 on: April 13, 2020, 08:32:16 pm »
Karl-Anthony Towns' Mom Dies After Battle With Coronavirus
4/13/2020 12:56 PM PT

Tragic news ... Karl-Anthony Towns' mother, Jacqueline Towns, has died after a lengthy battle with coronavirus.

The Minnesota Timberwolves star announced last month his mom contracted the disease in mid-March ... and was put in a medically induced coma shortly after because of complications.

But, the T-Wolves said Monday she succumbed to the virus.

See more at:  https://www.tmz.com/2020/04/13/karl-anthony-towns-mom-dies-after-battle-with-coronavirus/

My deepest condolences and prayers.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #579 on: April 14, 2020, 03:38:30 pm »
Hank Steinbrenner, Yankees co-owner, dead at 63
New York Post

Hank Steinbrenner, general partner and co-chairperson of the Yankees, died early Tuesday morning due to a lengthy illness at his Clearwater, Fla. residence surrounded by family members. He was 63.

According to a source the cause of death was not COVID-19.

Steinbrenner was in his 13th year as general partner and 11th as co-chairperson . . .

. . . in recent years Hank Steinbrenner hasn’t been seen around the Yankees much and heard from less as the more reserved Hal Steinbrenner moved to the forefront of the operation, serving as the public face of the Yankees and representing the club at owners’ meetings . . .

Also father of four and grandfather of one.

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #580 on: April 14, 2020, 04:20:02 pm »
Hank Steinbrenner, Yankees co-owner, dead at 63
New York Post

Also father of four and grandfather of one.

RIP.
RIP indeed. COVID-19 is not a lengthy illness, so I would expect it wasn't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #581 on: April 14, 2020, 05:46:05 pm »
RIP indeed. COVID-19 is not a lengthy illness, so I would expect it wasn't.
Jon Heyman of MLB Network just reported he suffered liver issues.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #582 on: April 14, 2020, 05:52:27 pm »
Former Royals, Cubs manager Jim Frey dies at age 88
ESPN

Former Kansas City Royals and Chicago Cubs manager Jim Frey died Sunday at age 88.

"We join the baseball community in mourning Jim's passing and send our condolences to his family and friends," the Cubs said in a statement Tuesday.

No cause of death was given.

Frey managed in the big leagues for five seasons, compiling a 323-287 record.

In his first season as Royals manager, Frey led the team to the 1980 American League pennant before losing to the Philadelphia Phillies in the World Series . . .

Also managed the 1984 Cubs to the National League East title.

RIP.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #583 on: April 16, 2020, 06:37:08 pm »
Brian Dennehy Dies: Versatile ‘First Blood’ & ‘The Blacklist’ Actor Was 81

Erik Pedersen   |   April 16, 2020 10:23am

Brian Dennehy, the Tony- and Golden Globe-winning actor whose career  in movies, TV and the stage spanned nearly half a century, has died. He was 81. He died Wednesday of natural causes at his home in New Haven, CT, his agency ICM Partners said.

Instantly recognizable for the past four decades, Dennehy broke out with his role as a small-town sheriff who hassles John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) in the franchise-launching 1982 actioner First Blood. The lawman pushes the wandering Vietnam vet too far and gets much more than he bargained for.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/brian-dennehy-dead-obituary-1202910168/
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Applewood

« Reply #584 on: April 16, 2020, 06:44:22 pm »
Rest in peace, Mr. Dennehy.  Versatile, talented actor. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #585 on: April 16, 2020, 06:48:57 pm »
Just saw this too. RIP Mr. Dennehy.

What a great actor who could do so many different roles.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/16/entertainment/brian-dennehy-dead/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #586 on: April 16, 2020, 07:58:56 pm »
Rest in peace, Mr. Dennehy.  Versatile, talented actor.

@Applewood

And one who was exposed as a fraud decades ago when he claimed to be a VN combat veteran.

AFAIK,he refused to comment on that one way or the other,but it did seem to hurt his career for a few years.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fake-war-stories-exposed/

Actor Brian Dennehy claimed for years that he served a five-year tour as a Marine in Vietnam, where he was wounded in action. In reality, Dennehy's only Vietnam "action" was on-screen in "A Rumor of War", in which he portrayed a Marine gunnery sergeant. While Dennehy did serve in the Marines, it was not in Vietnam; his only "combat duty" was playing football in Okinawa in 1962.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 08:03:07 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #587 on: April 16, 2020, 08:04:40 pm »
@Applewood

And one who was exposed as a fraud decades ago when he claimed to be a VN combat veteran.

AFAIK,he refused to comment on that one way or the other,but it did seem to hurt his career for a few years.

@sneakypete

Didn't know about this, so I looked it up and found this on Wikipedia:

Dennehy enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1958 and served on Okinawa[22] until 1963. In numerous interviews, Dennehy claimed to be a Vietnam veteran who served a five-year tour there and recounted harrowing tales of combat,[23] but according to the book Stolen Valor, Dennehy never served in Vietnam and never saw active combat.[23] The author of Stolen Valor wrote to Dennehy regarding the discrepancy, but received no reply from the actor, although Dennehy later admitted in an interview that he had lied about his service and apologized for it.[23]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dennehy#Personal_life

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #588 on: April 16, 2020, 08:54:51 pm »
@Applewood

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fake-war-stories-exposed/
Actually, on the IMDB website, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001133/bio?ref_=nm_dyk_qt_sm#quotesI found this:
"I lied about serving in Vietnam and I'm sorry. I did not mean to take away from the actions and the sacrifices of the ones who did really serve there...I did steal valor. That was very wrong of me. There is no real excuse for that. I was a peace-time Marine, and I got out in 1963 without ever serving in Vietnam... I started the story that I had been in 'Nam, and I got stuck with it. Then I didn't know how to set the record straight."

He fessed up, and admitted he was wrong.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #589 on: April 16, 2020, 09:01:29 pm »
Actually, on the IMDB website, https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001133/bio?ref_=nm_dyk_qt_sm#quotesI found this:   

I accept that.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #590 on: April 16, 2020, 09:02:39 pm »
I accept that.
Yeah, me, too. Especially where he said "There is no real excuse for that", which took it all on himself.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #591 on: April 16, 2020, 09:16:41 pm »
Brian Dennehy Dies: Versatile ‘First Blood’ & ‘The Blacklist’ Actor Was 81

Erik Pedersen   |   April 16, 2020 10:23am

Brian Dennehy, the Tony- and Golden Globe-winning actor whose career  in movies, TV and the stage spanned nearly half a century, has died. He was 81. He died Wednesday of natural causes at his home in New Haven, CT, his agency ICM Partners said.

Instantly recognizable for the past four decades, Dennehy broke out with his role as a small-town sheriff who hassles John Rambo (Sylvester Stallone) in the franchise-launching 1982 actioner First Blood. The lawman pushes the wandering Vietnam vet too far and gets much more than he bargained for.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/brian-dennehy-dead-obituary-1202910168/

Loved him in his roles. RIP.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #592 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:12 pm »
He stayed busy, that's for certain. His IMDB page is impressive.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

« Reply #593 on: April 16, 2020, 09:20:51 pm »

I hadn't seen him in the past few years. Gorky Park was one of his best parts, IMO.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #594 on: April 16, 2020, 09:25:13 pm »

Ditto.  I even loved him in Cocoon    happy77

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #595 on: April 16, 2020, 09:29:06 pm »
Howard "The Fink" Finkel
WWE's longtime ring announcer dies at 69

Howard Finkel joined what was then the World-Wide Wrestling Federation in 1975 under Vincent J. McMahon and became the promotion's in-ring announcer two years later. He remained with the promotion for 45 years, most of that time as ring announcer. Through his work with WWWF, later WWF and now WWE, Finkel earned a reputation as one of pro wrestling's greatest ring announcers.

In declining health since 2018, Finkel died of a stroke April 16.

Obituary from the Evening Standard (UK)

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #596 on: April 16, 2020, 09:32:56 pm »
I hadn't seen him in the past few years. Gorky Park was one of his best parts, IMO.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001133/

Admittedly, I haven't seen anything he's done recently, either, but there is quite a list.
Ratatouille Django (voice) was the last one I saw. The quote from the post above in from the quotes section (click "see more").

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #597 on: April 16, 2020, 11:43:09 pm »
Loved him in The Blacklist. I didn't even realize for a bit that it was even him.

He was almost Golden-Age-of-Hollywood iconic.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #598 on: April 16, 2020, 11:53:44 pm »

@Smokin Joe

You have to give him credit for that.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #599 on: April 16, 2020, 11:54:57 pm »

@Smokin Joe

Well,he was a good actor,and he had "one of those faces" that just made you want to like and trust him.