Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96082 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2020, 08:20:49 pm »
I'm so sorry!  You will be in my prayers.
Thank you @musiclady - I appreciate that!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2020, 11:51:36 pm »
Goat wrote:
"So they just recorded Weissberg and some guitar player in a studio and  timed it to what Cox and Redden were "playing" onscreen"

The guitar player was Steve Mandell, who passed on about two years ago.

Ronny Cox did a good job of synching his onscreen playing to the actual soundtrack.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #403 on: March 26, 2020, 12:50:03 am »
Goat wrote:
"So they just recorded Weissberg and some guitar player in a studio and  timed it to what Cox and Redden were "playing" onscreen"

The guitar player was Steve Mandell, who passed on about two years ago.

Ronny Cox did a good job of synching his onscreen playing to the actual soundtrack.
Thanks for the info.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #404 on: March 26, 2020, 12:13:20 pm »
RIP to my friend Howard Berman, my best music friend in Las Vegas. We jammed together (he was a drummer and harmonica player and loved the blues and jazz as deeply as I do), we had a shipload of laughs and good talk, he was always calling me (sometimes every third day!) to double check the keys of blues songs he wanted to play, and most of all he was a cherished friend.

Shalom, chaver, until we get to play a few more rounds of "Sugar" (Stanley Turrentine) or "Chicago Bound" (Jimmy Rogers) or "The Sermon" (Jimmy Smith) together again . . .

As Alan Freed used to sign off, it isn't goodbye, it's just good night.

Sorry for your loss @EasyAce

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #405 on: March 26, 2020, 12:23:35 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #406 on: March 26, 2020, 12:56:17 pm »
Sorry about your friend @EasyAce.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #407 on: March 26, 2020, 02:49:40 pm »

Offline Applewood

« Reply #408 on: March 26, 2020, 10:48:11 pm »
Harlem Globetrotters legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

Neal’s 22-year stint with the exhibition team included north of 6,000 games and some incredible moments in front of awe-inspired fans.

Neal suited up with the Globetrotters during the height of their popularity from 1963-85, playing in 97 different countries. He’s right up there with Meadowlark Lemon as one of the most popular all-time members of the Globetrotters.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/harlem-globetrotters-legend-curly-neal-dies-at-age-77/ar-BB11KT6Y?ocid=msedgdhp

I remember as a kid watching the Globetrotters with my Dad on ABC's Wide World of Sports from time to time.  Neither of us were big basketball fans, but those Globetrotter "games"  were a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:14:00 pm by Applewood »

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #409 on: March 26, 2020, 11:26:58 pm »
Harlem Globetrotters legend Curly Neal dies at age 77

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/harlem-globetrotters-legend-curly-neal-dies-at-age-77/ar-BB11KT6Y?ocid=msedgdhp

I remember as a kid watching the Globetrotters with my Dad on ABC's Wide World of Sports from time to time.  Neither of us were big basketball fans, but those Globetrotter "games"  were a lot of fun.

I have similar family memories. Curly had a great hairstyle!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2020, 12:33:34 am »
I remember being dazzled by Curly's bball skills when I saw the Globetrotters around 1970. So entertaining.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2020, 12:45:39 am »
I remember being dazzled by Curly's bball skills when I saw the Globetrotters around 1970. So entertaining.
Yes, same here. I'm not much on basketball, but that was great fun. RIP, Mr. Neal, and thanks for great memories of fun times!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2020, 01:46:51 am »

He and Meadowlark Lemon were the best!

My inspiration!

RIP, Curly.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2020, 02:21:28 am »
He and Meadowlark Lemon were the best!

My inspiration!

RIP, Curly.
@musiclady

I remember a television special with the Trotters for which comedian Soupy Sales was the guest referee. Neal handed Sales a basketball. Sales gave it a dribble to test it---and it shattered into about three trillion pieces. The Trotters arranged to have the glass ball made to look and feel like a basketball before giving it to Sale.

RIP Curly. You could dribble in a crab walk and get it up the court without missing a beat. Come to think of it, quite a few times you did!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2020, 10:06:18 am »
Mike Stratton
Longtime pro football linebacker dies at 78

Stratton played the bulk of his 12-season professional career (1962 to 1973) with the Buffalo Bills. He is most famous for a play in the 1964 American Football League championship, in which he broke the ribs of San Diego Chargers running back Keith Lincoln with an open-field tackle that lives on as the "hit heard 'round the world." (He would spend his final season of play with the Chargers.)

Obituary from WNY News Now

Wikipedia

Career stats

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2020, 11:28:02 am »
Meadowlark and Curly were my favorites too.

RIP Curly. I’m sure you’re playing basketball in heaven with some greats now.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2020, 04:54:17 pm »
Meadowlark and Curly were my favorites too.

RIP Curly. I’m sure you’re playing basketball in heaven with some greats now.
Well, I enjoyed the Globies too and saw them several times live as a youth and more times on tv.
Nevertheless, the Globies weren't great players for the most part. After the NBA started playing more and more black players, the Globies didn't get as many good black players.
I did see Connie Hawkins play with the Globies before he joined the NBA, and he was a great player.
But the myth of the Globies being a super team still lives on in the minds of many people.
I used to help a friend coach a grade school bb team back in the eighties.
 One time talking to one of the fathers on the team, he was adamant that the Globies were the best team in the world and could beat any NBA team.
I looked at him for a while and then said, no, the Globies would get crushed.
He was still insistent that the Globies would whip any NBA team including the Showtime Lakers with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
I looked at him for a while longer and then just walked away. He was a nice guy but a total ignoramus concerning basketball.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:50:05 pm by goatprairie »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2020, 05:04:56 pm »
@musiclady

I remember a television special with the Trotters for which comedian Soupy Sales was the guest referee. Neal handed Sales a basketball. Sales gave it a dribble to test it---and it shattered into about three trillion pieces. The Trotters arranged to have the glass ball made to look and feel like a basketball before giving it to Sale.

RIP Curly. You could dribble in a crab walk and get it up the court without missing a beat. Come to think of it, quite a few times you did!

Hearing Sweet Georgia Brown still makes me smile.  happy77

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2020, 05:15:23 pm »
Hearing Sweet Georgia Brown still makes me smile.  happy77

@musiclady

Hearing "Sweet Georgia Brown" makes EVERYBODY smile.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2020, 05:17:24 pm »
Well, I enjoyed the Globies too and saw them several times as a youth and more times on tv.
Nevertheless, the Globies weren't great players for the most part. After the NBA started playing more and more black players, the Globies didn't get as many good black players.
I did see Connie Hawkins play with the Globies before he joined the NBA, and he was a great player.
But the myth of the Globies being a super team still lives on in the minds of many people.
I used to help a friend coach a grade school bb team back in the eighties.
 One time talking to one of the fathers on the team, he was adamant that the Globies were the best team in the world and could beat any NBA team.
I looked at him for a while and then said, no, the Globies would get crushed.
He was still insistent that the Globies would whip any NBA team including the Showtime Lakers with Magic Johnson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
I looked at him for a while longer and then just walked away. He was a nice guy but a total ignoramus concerning basketball.
The Globetrotters were famous for their ball handling antics on the court, which were at the core of their highly entertaining game.
In terms of today's 7-foot tall hard-driving NBA game, no, there is no real comparison, but the Globetrotters played what often were charity games, against teams put together from local or even school 'noteworthies', not so much professional players, at least in the context in which I saw them play. There was no shame in losing to them, and part of those ticket sales went to the cause du jour.
What they are, and ever will remain, is an excellent exhibition game team who played and were watched by a fan base for entertainment, not to make the final four in March Madness.

In a nutshell, they are fun to watch, just for the fun of it.

C S Lewis

Offline musiclady

« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2020, 05:18:32 pm »
@musiclady

Hearing "Sweet Georgia Brown" makes EVERYBODY smile.

:beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #421 on: March 27, 2020, 05:23:41 pm »

In a nutshell, they are fun to watch, just for the fun of it.

@Smokin Joe

Fun?  WOW! What a concept!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #422 on: March 27, 2020, 05:26:51 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Fun?  WOW! What a concept!
Ain't it though?
 :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #423 on: March 27, 2020, 05:28:24 pm »
I saw the Harlem Clowns a few times, a Harlem Globetrotters knockoff because the Globetrotters were so popular, the Globetrotters must have played mainly big venues. Globetrotters were on TV and yes, seemed to have their own cartoon show at one time.

The Harlem Clowns was an African American show team based in Chicago that toured the world during its several decades of existence from 1934 to 1983. The team was founded by Al "Runt" Pullins in 1934, when he left the Harlem Globetrotters, and founded a competitive team that he originally called the Harlem Globetrotters. Pullins changed the name of his team many times, changing the name to New York Globetrotters, then the Broadway Clowns, and then a few other name changes before settling on the Harlem Clowns.

https://mwal.fandom.com/wiki/Harlem_Clowns

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #424 on: March 27, 2020, 05:35:40 pm »
I know I watched it on TV and it's probably on youtube somewhere....they throw the ball from way far away in the arena, up in the balcony or even higher. Some NBAers also I believe did go into the Globetrotters, so I don't knock them too much on the talent level... that shot actually is around a minute into this video. It appears to have been a common trick they did.  Starting around 45 seconds in and I do think they say the guy played in the NBA (this is a recent GT version but this has been in their repertoire a long time).

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Conceivably, that could have been practiced a few times with misses. I don't know if they did it sometimes live, it does seem like I watched them do it on tv once, not sure if it was live.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:45:59 pm by TomSea »