Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96036 times)

Offline Applewood

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #375 on: March 21, 2020, 06:53:11 pm »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #376 on: March 21, 2020, 07:59:24 pm »
My favorite Kenny Roger's tune - "Lady" (Brings back so many memories dancing to that song with my hubby).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYRfUoR9Q4Y
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #377 on: March 21, 2020, 08:00:31 pm »
...and this one (tear jerker)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3BuITOx3Cs
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2020, 06:29:50 am »
What no Kenny Rogers and the First Edition?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #379 on: March 24, 2020, 09:56:08 am »
Manu Dibango
Cameroonian saxophonist dies at 86

Dibango's best known work was "Soul Makossa," a one-hit wonder in the United States that was an important predecessor to the sound that eventually became to be known as disco.

Dibango died March 24 from complications of coronavirus.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #380 on: March 24, 2020, 04:27:12 pm »
Manu Dibango
Cameroonian saxophonist dies at 86

Dibango's best known work was "Soul Makossa," a one-hit wonder in the United States that was an important predecessor to the sound that eventually became to be known as disco.

Dibango died March 24 from complications of coronavirus.

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@jmyrlefuller

DAMN! NOW that it's too late to track him down and punish him,you tell us who was responsible for disco?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #381 on: March 24, 2020, 04:31:20 pm »
Eric Weissberg
Folk banjoist dies at 80

Weissberg, who prior to his solo career was a member of the popular folk group The Tarriers in the 1950s, rocketed to fame in 1972 when his duet with Steve Mandell, a cover of Arthur Smith's "Duelin' Banjos," was featured in the film Deliverance. "Duelin' Banjos" shot to number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and led to an album that topped the album charts for three weeks. He never had another major hit, instead retreating to the folk and jazz scenes and having a successful career in that field.

Weissberg died March 22 of Alzheimer's disease.

Obituary from Variety and MSN

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:35:34 pm by jmyrlefuller »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #382 on: March 24, 2020, 08:58:24 pm »
@jmyrlefuller

DAMN! NOW that it's too late to track him down and punish him,you tell us who was responsible for disco?
Well, regardless of what you may believe, many of us think he has moved on to a higher judge. :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #383 on: March 25, 2020, 11:40:33 am »
Terrence McNally, Tony-Winning Playwright Dies at 81

Mr. McNally, who died of coronavirus complications, introduced audiences to characters and situations that most mainstream theater had previously shunted into comic asides.

Terrence McNally, the four-time Tony Award-winning playwright whose outpouring of work for the theater dramatized and domesticated gay life across five decades, died on Tuesday in Sarasota, Fla. He was 81.

The cause was complications of the coronavirus, according to his husband, Tom Kirdahy. Mr. McNally had chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, and had overcome lung cancer. He died at Sarasota Memorial Hospital.

Mr. McNally’s Tony Awards attest to his versatility. Two were for books for musicals, “Kiss of the Spider Woman” (1993) and “Ragtime” (1998), and two were for plays, and vastly different ones: “Love! Valour! Compassion!” (1995), about gay men who share a vacation house, and “Master Class” (1996), in which the opera diva Maria Callas reflects on her career.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/theater/terrence-mcnally-dead-coronavirus.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #384 on: March 25, 2020, 12:10:49 pm »
Eric Weissberg
Folk banjoist dies at 80

Weissberg, who prior to his solo career was a member of the popular folk group The Tarriers in the 1950s, rocketed to fame in 1972 when his duet with Steve Mandell, a cover of Arthur Smith's "Duelin' Banjos," was featured in the film Deliverance. "Duelin' Banjos" shot to number two on the Billboard Hot 100 and led to an album that topped the album charts for three weeks. He never had another major hit, instead retreating to the folk and jazz scenes and having a successful career in that field.

Weissberg died March 22 of Alzheimer's disease.

Obituary from Variety and MSN

Wikipedia

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
What is interesting is that "banjo boy," played by Billie Redden, was not actually playing the banjo. There was another actual banjo-playing teen who had his arms around Redden who couldn't play a banjo. Careful editing made it seem like Redden was the player. And the person who was actually playing the banjo was playing clawhammer style banjo which was different than the Earl Scruggs-three finger-style that people heard.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #385 on: March 25, 2020, 02:14:19 pm »
Terrence McNally, Tony-Winning Playwright Dies at 81

Mr. McNally, who died of coronavirus complications, introduced audiences to characters and situations that most mainstream theater had previously shunted into comic asides.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/theater/terrence-mcnally-dead-coronavirus.html
For the record, according to some of my Broadway-inclined friends, McNally had multiple health issues at the time of his death, including a battle with cancer.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #386 on: March 25, 2020, 02:29:12 pm »
What is interesting is that "banjo boy," played by Billie Redden, was not actually playing the banjo. There was another actual banjo-playing teen who had his arms around Redden who couldn't play a banjo. Careful editing made it seem like Redden was the player. And the person who was actually playing the banjo was playing clawhammer style banjo which was different than the Earl Scruggs-three finger-style that people heard.

@goatprairie

What is the name of this teen? It had to take an incredible amount of talent to reach around,off balance like that,and still absolutely nail a thousand mile per hour beat while being blind to the strings. To think that a teen could do that blows my mind.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #387 on: March 25, 2020, 03:27:28 pm »
@goatprairie

What is the name of this teen? It had to take an incredible amount of talent to reach around,off balance like that,and still absolutely nail a thousand mile per hour beat while being blind to the strings. To think that a teen could do that blows my mind.
It was largely just finger-sync. Like I said, he was miming to Eric Weissberg's track, no more, no less.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #388 on: March 25, 2020, 03:53:45 pm »
Trivia: The boy in Deliverance, went on to become a Walmart greeter actually.  That's fairly well known and shows up in the news from time to time.
https://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/where-are-they-now-deliverance-banjo-boy-at-56/

Bill Rieflin, drummer for R.E.M., King Crimson, dead at 59

By   Wade Sheridan

March 25 (UPI) -- Bill Rieflin, a drummer who worked with bands R.E.M., King Crimson and Ministry, has died at the age of 59.

R.E.M., Ministry and Robert Fripp of King Crimson confirmed Rieflin's death on social media Tuesday.

"It is with heavy hearts we acknowledge the death of our dear friend and consummate drummer, Bill Rieflin," Michael Stipe of R.E.M. said on the band's official Facebook page.

Read more at:   https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2020/03/25/Bill-Rieflin-drummer-for-REM-King-Crimson-dead-at-59/3011585138199/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:54:51 pm by TomSea »

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #389 on: March 25, 2020, 04:33:57 pm »
RIP to my friend Howard Berman, my best music friend in Las Vegas. We jammed together (he was a drummer and harmonica player and loved the blues and jazz as deeply as I do), we had a shipload of laughs and good talk, he was always calling me (sometimes every third day!) to double check the keys of blues songs he wanted to play, and most of all he was a cherished friend.

Shalom, chaver, until we get to play a few more rounds of "Sugar" (Stanley Turrentine) or "Chicago Bound" (Jimmy Rogers) or "The Sermon" (Jimmy Smith) together again . . .

As Alan Freed used to sign off, it isn't goodbye, it's just good night.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2020, 04:41:59 pm »
RIP to my friend Howard Berman, my best music friend in Las Vegas. We jammed together (he was a drummer and harmonica player and loved the blues and jazz as deeply as I do), we had a shipload of laughs and good talk, he was always calling me (sometimes every third day!) to double check the keys of blues songs he wanted to play, and most of all he was a cherished friend.

Shalom, chaver, until we get to play a few more rounds of "Sugar" (Stanley Turrentine) or "Chicago Bound" (Jimmy Rogers) or "The Sermon" (Jimmy Smith) together again . . .

My condolences... :crying:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2020, 04:44:06 pm »

I’m so sorry @EasyAce

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2020, 04:45:31 pm »
Famed Chef Floyd Cardoz Dies of Coronavirus at 59

Chef Floyd Cardoz died on Wednesday at Mountainside Medical Centre in New Jersey as a result of complications from coronavirus, a spokesperson for his Hunger Inc. Hospitality Group confirms to PEOPLE. He was 59.

The Top Chef Masters winner was first admitted to the hospital with a fever last Wednesday, and subsequently tested positive for COVID-19.

At the time, he posted an update on his Instagram page, saying he sought medical help as a “precautionary measure.”

https://people.com/food/famed-chef-floyd-cardoz-reportedly-dies-of-coronavirus-at-59/

I’m a fan of Top Chef. RIP
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:46:22 pm by Gefn »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2020, 04:56:11 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2020, 04:59:15 pm »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2020, 05:10:14 pm »
@goatprairie

Well, to be truthful, he wasn't actually playing what you heard. Eric Weissberg's three finger style was what you heard. The guy behind Redden was playing clawhammer style banjo which is pretty different from three finger picking.
So they just recorded Weissberg and some guitar player in a studio and  timed it to what Cox and Redden were "playing" onscreen.

Offline verga

« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2020, 05:12:18 pm »

Condolences.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2020, 05:15:38 pm »
RIP to my friend Howard Berman, my best music friend in Las Vegas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jXrmAKBBTU

:0001: :beer:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2020, 05:35:32 pm »

I'm so sorry!  You will be in my prayers.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2020, 08:19:44 pm »