Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96094 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #325 on: March 05, 2020, 03:24:11 pm »
Yep. RIP Rosie!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #326 on: March 05, 2020, 03:25:07 pm »
@EasyAce

She was truly a great woman,and a great American as well. It was men and women like her that made America the great place it used to be.

:thumbsup:

IMHO, anyone who did anything during WW II served. Didn't matter if they were military or civilian.  They were all heroes.  They came together to fight a global evil.  Unfortunately, we don't see that level of cooperation today.  When there is a calamity or a crisis, we have too may whiners, complainers and finger pointers.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #327 on: March 05, 2020, 03:33:45 pm »
Rosalind P. Walter, the First 'Rosie the Riveter,' Is Dead at 95

RIP.

She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. - Proberbs 31:17

RIP Rosie
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #328 on: March 05, 2020, 04:36:07 pm »
My grandmother did the wiring for the P51's at Curtiss Wright in St. Louis during the war.

RIP Rosie.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:38:27 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #329 on: March 05, 2020, 05:14:54 pm »
My mother died Jan. 16, age 95. She and my grandfather worked on wartime aircraft production at "Vultee," later to become Convair.

Downey, Long Beach, CA etc.

....eventually present day Boeing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:15:41 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #330 on: March 05, 2020, 05:26:33 pm »
My mother died Jan. 16, age 95. She and my grandfather worked on wartime aircraft production at "Vultee," later to become Convair.

Downey, Long Beach, CA etc.

....eventually present day Boeing.

:0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001:

Our condolences, @truth_seeker.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #331 on: March 05, 2020, 05:30:11 pm »
:0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001: :0001:

Our condolences, @truth_seeker.

This thread got me looking for the specifics of her (and my grandfather's) wartime work at Vultee.

The US built wartime machines from San Diego to Seattle, and from Oakland to the Atlantic coast.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #332 on: March 05, 2020, 06:48:28 pm »
AFP news agency
@AFP
#BREAKING Former UN chief Javier Perez de Cuellar dead at 100: son

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1235398122299219968

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javier_P%C3%A9rez_de_Cu%C3%A9llar

So, he was from Peru.

My condolences to any bereaved.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #333 on: March 05, 2020, 07:17:08 pm »
The US built wartime machines from San Diego to Seattle, and from Oakland to the Atlantic coast.
@truth_seeker

And a lot of companies did particular wartime manufacturing that you might not have expected them to do if you knew who they were and what they did.

Case in point: the Chicago Flexible Shaft Company. They were founded as an animal-trimming concern and branched into home appliances and gardening by the 1920s. When the U.S. entered World War II, just a few months passed before the company ceased all its normal manufacturing and began making munitions.

After the war ended, they reverted to their usual manufacturing, now dominated by home appliances and the gardening implements to a lesser extent, but---in honour of the division which was its most profitable---renamed itself in 1946.

You may have heard of them: Sunbeam.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #334 on: March 05, 2020, 07:36:47 pm »
@EasyAce

While Dad was a GI in Europe and North Africa, Mom worked for the now-defunct Federal Enameling Company. She had started there right out of high school.  The company made, among other things, enamel cookware -- pots and pans and such.  At the beginning of WWII, my mother was on the assembly line making tea and coffee pots which went to the military.  But by around the end of '42 or the beginning of '43, the factory was converted into making specific items for the military.   Not sure what those items were, but they weren't pots and pans.  LOL

This is what I meant about everyone serving during World War II, whether on the battlefield or in the factories or volunteering for the Red Cross, or putting on shows for the USO, or buying war bonds.  Whatever a person did to benefit the fight against the enemies, these people were heroes.  They served.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #335 on: March 05, 2020, 07:56:31 pm »
@truth_seeker

After the war ended, they reverted to their usual manufacturing, now dominated by home appliances and the gardening implements to a lesser extent, but---in honour of the division which was its most profitable---renamed itself in 1946.

You may have heard of them: Sunbeam.

WWII history played very much for me, growing up, and thereafter.

Before enlisting in the USMC, my father worked on building the Heart Mountain "Relocation Center (internment), near Cody Wyoming.

SoCal is literally covered, with WWII military facillities. From San Diego to Ventura. And Pac Ocean to Colorado River.

Many remain. Now pressed into roles for Virus. Matthews AFB, Miramar NAS. "John Wayne Airport SNA, is a former military facility.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #336 on: March 05, 2020, 08:56:51 pm »
Former Rep. Amo Houghton (RINO-NY) dies at 93

Born into old money in 1926, Houghton was fifth-generation heir to Corning Incorporated and, after an elite private school education, a brief stint in the armed forces (serving in the Caribbean during World War II) and obtaining a Harvard degree, he joined the family business in 1951. Within ten years, he was company president, a position he parlayed into seats on numerous other major corporate boards of directors.

From 1986 to 2004, Houghton represented the southern tier of New York in Congress. Nominally a Republican, very little of his record actually reflected anything Republicans stood for at the time, voting against the Iraq war, voting against Bill Clinton's impeachment on all counts, consistently pro-abortion, and wildly inconsistent on fiscal issues. In his later life, he was firmly in the Never Trump camp and at the time of his death was trying to get Trump removed from office.

Obituary from The New York Times

Wikipedia
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 10:41:19 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #337 on: March 05, 2020, 10:11:29 pm »
RIP Rosie
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #338 on: March 05, 2020, 10:13:49 pm »
World’s First Cloned Cat ‘CC’ Lived ‘Long, Normal, Happy Life’ Before Her Death

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – The world’s first cloned cat named “Copy Cat” or “CC” for short, has passed away at the age of 18 after veterinarians diagnosed her with kidney failure.

CC passed away on March 3 in College Station, the same place where her life began as a result of groundbreaking cloning work, according to Megan Myers, Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences.

She was born Dec. 22, 2001, and was adopted by Dr. Duane Kraemer, a senior professor in the college’s Reproduction Sciences Laboratory, and his wife, Shirley, six months after her birth.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/03/04/worlds-first-cloned-cat-cc-lived-long-normal-happy-life-before-her-death/

@Cyber Liberty @Hopalong Ginsberg

888cryingkitty

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #339 on: March 05, 2020, 10:24:57 pm »
RIP Rosie
We also have a neice that served 12 years in the Air Force before leaving to have a family with her vet husband.

We have another neice that is in HS ROTC, and a great neice just entering Texas National Guard.

My uncle was caarer Army officer, and my cousin, his daughter, wed a career Army officer.

Really, really too bad this topic of "Rosie the Riveter," so symbolic of generations of Americans, draws zero attention, while the normal

TDS #nevertrump BS dominates.

Really, really too bad.

Offline Hopalong Ginsberg

« Reply #340 on: March 06, 2020, 02:17:05 am »
World’s First Cloned Cat ‘CC’ Lived ‘Long, Normal, Happy Life’ Before Her Death

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – The world’s first cloned cat named “Copy Cat” or “CC” for short, has passed away at the age of 18 after veterinarians diagnosed her with kidney failure.

CC RIP.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #341 on: March 06, 2020, 02:39:05 am »
@Gefn

Didn't realize it had been 18 years since.  I remembered when CC's successful cloning was announced and wondered what had happened to her.  Glad she had a long and good life.  Rest in peace, little girl. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #342 on: March 06, 2020, 02:57:11 am »
@Gefn

Didn't realize it had been 18 years since.  I remembered when CC's successful cloning was announced and wondered what had happened to her.  Glad she had a long and good life.  Rest in peace, little girl.

@Applewood

I was amazed when it happened,and honestly figured she wouldn't live very long because the tech was so new,and she was the first. I then heard nothing more about her until today. 18 years is good,and I am glad she made it that long.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 02:57:58 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2020, 12:02:22 pm »
@Applewood

I was amazed when it happened,and honestly figured she wouldn't live very long because the tech was so new,and she was the first. I then heard nothing more about her until today. 18 years is good,and I am glad she made it that long.
As I recall Dolly the Sheep only lived about 6 years. Normal lifespan is between 10-12 years.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2020, 08:29:06 pm »
McCoy Tyner, Jazz Piano Powerhouse, Is Dead at 81
Mr. Tyner, who first attracted wide notice as a member of John Coltrane’s groundbreaking quartet, influenced virtually every pianist in jazz

McCoy Tyner, a cornerstone of John Coltrane’s groundbreaking 1960s quartet and one of the most influential pianists in jazz history, has died. He was 81.

His death was announced on his Facebook page, which gave no further details.

Along with Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea and only a few others, Mr. Tyner was one of the main expressways of modern jazz piano. Nearly every jazz pianist since Mr. Tyner’s years with Coltrane has had to learn his lessons, whether they ultimately discarded them or not.

Mr. Tyner’s manner was modest, but his sound was rich, percussive and serious, his lyrical improvisations centered by powerful left-hand chords marking the first beat of the bar and the tonal center of the music . . .

And he was excellent whenever he recorded and played as a leader himself . . .

McCoy Tyner, "Blues on the Corner"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

McCoy Tyner, "Blues for Gwen"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

. . . not to mention having a whack at a classic Coltrane entry with an excellent guitarist plus his Coltrane teammate Elvin Jones drumming . . .

Grant Green, "My Favourite Things"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

RIP Mr. Tyner. The John Coltrane Classic Quartet is now together again in heaven . . .

John Coltrane, "Impressions"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #345 on: March 06, 2020, 08:34:08 pm »
Oh no, first Lyle Mays now McCoy Tyner.

Bad month for pianists.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2020, 01:13:47 pm »
Max Von Sydow: The Exorcist and Flash Gordon actor dies aged 90

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51803195
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2020, 01:23:12 pm »
Great actor.  Versatile.  Surprised he never won an Oscar.

Rest in peace. 

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2020, 01:37:14 pm »
Max Von Sydow: The Exorcist and Flash Gordon actor dies aged 90

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51803195

Oh wow. The Exorcist was the scariest movie I ever saw. And I only saw a little bit of it.

And The Simpson’s had a very nice tribute card to James Lipton last night.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #349 on: March 09, 2020, 05:26:55 pm »
He was actually Jesus Christ in the "Greatest Story Ever Told"?  I think that is one of the best movies of that genre.

Even if that Christ had relatively short hair.  One of the most reverential renditions of Christ imho.

I know, Von Snydow was in lots of movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_von_Sydow  Filmography listed.

1969, <a href=
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kremlin_Letter">  The Kremlin Letter, [/url] sounds good.

Check this little bit from wikipedia:
Von Sydow was reported to be either an agnostic[10] or an atheist.[22] In 2012, he told Charlie Rose in an interview that Ingmar Bergman had told him he would contact him after death to show him that there was a life after death. When Rose asked von Sydow if he had heard from Bergman, he replied that he had, but chose not to elaborate further on the exact meaning of this statement. In the same interview, he described himself as a doubter in his youth, but stated this doubt was gone, and indicated he came to agree with Bergman's belief in the afterlife.[23]

:pondering:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 05:31:23 pm by TomSea »