Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96033 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #300 on: February 29, 2020, 11:29:17 pm »
I've always wanted to check that out, but the closest TJ's is in Pennsylvania, so it doesn't sell wine, alas.
Same here, only there are some in minnesota, none in North or South Dakota, none in Montana. (IOW, the nearest is over 700 miles away)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #301 on: February 29, 2020, 11:34:04 pm »
And I was whining about driving up to Henderson, NV....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #302 on: March 01, 2020, 02:28:15 am »
Same here, only there are some in minnesota, none in North or South Dakota, none in Montana. (IOW, the nearest is over 700 miles away)

Never seen a Trader Joe's' in my life.  :shrug:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #303 on: March 01, 2020, 02:33:36 am »

No Brownie Crisp Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches for you.

I have two east and west of me each within 2 miles. Yeah baby.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:35:41 am by skeeter »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #304 on: March 01, 2020, 03:17:26 am »

Suits me fine. I don't even know what the hell that is.  :shrug:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #305 on: March 01, 2020, 04:29:55 am »
Well, I might drive the coupla hours round trip to Henderson and buy a case of Two-Buck....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #306 on: March 01, 2020, 07:28:25 am »

Trader Joe's has good food items, for reasonable prices.

I lived blocks away from a forerunner, called "Pronto Market in the late 50s/early 60s.

My brother and I went there for imprted beer in the early 70s/80s

My wife shops there regularly for fresh coffee, various items. Joe's pasta sauce. Fresh flowers, miilk, a  lot like an old fashioned neighorhood grocery store.

Employees enjoy top pay. Neighborhoods literally go to the company and ask for stores.

Too bad about the founder. He set the cool vibe from the top, for decades.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #307 on: March 01, 2020, 12:44:28 pm »
That New Orleans Mass Shooting in 1973 from atop a roof on a Howard Johnson's hotel is fairly well-known. This story behind it, is not. I didn't know about all of this. Lt. Charles Pitman,  Excerpt:

Marine Pilot Who 'Borrowed' Helicopter to End Sniper Situation Has Died

...Pitman is better known for ignoring military protocol and breaking a bunch of regulations so he could save lives.

That was the thought process of then, Lieutenant Colonel Pitman. On Jan. 7, 1973, Pitman was the commander of the Marine Air Reserve Training in Louisiana. Pitman had turned on the television to see a horrible scene unfolding. A gunman had taken position on top of a hotel and was shooting and killing police officers. The sniper had a full view of all on comers, and any attempt to enter the hotel was met with murderous gunfire.

Pitman didn't even think twice about asking permission to help. He grabbed another pilot and two crew members and jumped in a CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter and headed toward New Orleans.

Article:   https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/02/19/marine-pilot-who-borrowed-helicopter-end-sniper-situation-has-died.html

Offline Applewood

« Reply #308 on: March 01, 2020, 01:01:07 pm »
@TomSea

Amazing story.  Thanks for posting it. 

I vaguely remember the Howard Johnson shooting rampage, but I guess I never paid attention to the details.  This man was a true hero. 

Rest in peace, Lt. General Pitman. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #309 on: March 01, 2020, 01:48:58 pm »

@roamer_1

That still puts you one up on me. I had never even heard of them until these posts.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #310 on: March 01, 2020, 02:02:14 pm »
@TomSea

Amazing story.  Thanks for posting it. 

I vaguely remember the Howard Johnson shooting rampage, but I guess I never paid attention to the details.  This man was a true hero. 

Rest in peace, Lt. General Pitman.

@Applewood

Just like there are people born to paint,sing,and invent,there are people who are born to be warriors,and run to the sound of gunfire. With 4 DFC's,a Silver Star,and a Bronze Star,the General was definitely born to be a warrior.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #311 on: March 01, 2020, 02:42:02 pm »
Well, I might drive the coupla hours round trip to Henderson and buy a case of Two-Buck....
I'm going to see whether there are any TJs other than in Pa. You all have me so intrigued about the 2 buck and the beers.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #312 on: March 01, 2020, 02:45:12 pm »
I'm going to see whether there are any TJs other than in Pa. You all have me so intrigued about the 2 buck and the beers.

Real Belgian chocolate too. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

« Reply #313 on: March 02, 2020, 01:32:39 pm »
That New Orleans Mass Shooting in 1973 from atop a roof on a Howard Johnson's hotel is fairly well-known. This story behind it, is not. I didn't know about all of this. Lt. Charles Pitman,  Excerpt:
Total BadASS
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #314 on: March 02, 2020, 02:02:07 pm »
Jack Welch, legendary former GE CEO, dead at age 84

Former chairman and CEO of industrial giant General Electric (GE) Jack Welch has died at the age of 84. His wife Suzy announced his death on Monday, according to CNBC.

Welch, at the peak of his career, ran GE, one of America’s most well-known companies, ruling over a global empire that had its hand in a plethora of industries from jet engines to healthcare.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jack-welch-legendary-former-ge-ceo-dead-at-age-84-134324399.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:03:18 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2020, 03:31:24 pm »
Very good article on the late Mubarak, he really seemed to be a very good leader.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-10709106

Some countries are just going to need some heavy handedness, I hate to say, it be Philippines, Brazil and so on.

Jordan is probably as close to a peaceful country with a peaceful leader as you can have and yet, they still have a King.

When Sadat was assassinated, Mubarak was up on the platform as well, I believe he sustained a hand injury. Picture of that incident at link.

Also, a picture of him with Bush 41.

He was a fairly good leader. A number of articles have come out since his passing as well, dwelling on negatives.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 03:33:45 pm by TomSea »

Offline verga

« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2020, 03:45:06 pm »
Very good article on the late Mubarak, he really seemed to be a very good leader.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-10709106

Some countries are just going to need some heavy handedness, I hate to say, it be Philippines, Brazil and so on.

Jordan is probably as close to a peaceful country with a peaceful leader as you can have and yet, they still have a King.

When Sadat was assassinated, Mubarak was up on the platform as well, I believe he sustained a hand injury. Picture of that incident at link.

Also, a picture of him with Bush 41.

He was a fairly good leader. A number of articles have come out since his passing as well, dwelling on negatives.
Have to hand it to Sadat. He knew the only way to protect his family was to make sure they knew he was not wearing his vest, so they would shoot him and not blow up the car with his family in it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2020, 06:48:42 pm »
James Lipton, longtime 'Inside the Actors Studio' host, dies at 93: reports

James Lipton, the multi-talented familiar face who hosted "Inside the Actors Studio," has died at the age of 93, according to The Hollywood Reporter and The New York Times.

In addition to his role at the helm of the long-running Bravo series, Lipton was a prolific writer and producer. As an actor, he appeared most recently in the reboot of "Arrested Development, per IMDb.

His wife, Kedakai Mercedes Lipton, told the New York Times he died of bladder cancer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/03/02/james-lipton-dead-inside-the-actors-studio-host-93/4930426002/

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2020, 06:49:52 pm »
James Lipton, longtime 'Inside the Actors Studio' host, dies at 93: reports

James Lipton, the multi-talented familiar face who hosted "Inside the Actors Studio," has died at the age of 93, according to The Hollywood Reporter and The New York Times.

In addition to his role at the helm of the long-running Bravo series, Lipton was a prolific writer and producer. As an actor, he appeared most recently in the reboot of "Arrested Development, per IMDb.

His wife, Kedakai Mercedes Lipton, told the New York Times he died of bladder cancer.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/03/02/james-lipton-dead-inside-the-actors-studio-host-93/4930426002/

I never saw “Inside the Actors Studio” but I am a fan of “Arrested Development”
RIP warden.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2020, 11:38:30 pm »
Bob Cobert
Composer dies at 95

You may not recognize the name Bob Cobert, but you may recognize his work: as a film and television composer, Cobert wrote a number of theme songs and pieces of background music for numerous TV shows in the 1970s and 1980s, mostly game shows and horror. He had one pop hit, "Quentin's Theme," which Charles Randolph Grean turned into a hit in 1969.

Cobert died February 19 of pneumonia.

Obituary from Variety

Wikipedia

IMDB

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #320 on: March 02, 2020, 11:53:06 pm »
Bob Cobert
Composer dies at 95

You may not recognize the name Bob Cobert, but you may recognize his work: as a film and television composer, Cobert wrote a number of theme songs and pieces of background music for numerous TV shows in the 1970s and 1980s, mostly game shows and horror. He had one pop hit, "Quentin's Theme," which Charles Randolph Grean turned into a hit in 1969.
Specifically, "Quentin's Theme" hailed from the goth soap Dark Shadows . . .

The Charles Randolph Grean Sounde, "Quentin's Theme"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #321 on: March 03, 2020, 12:20:26 am »
Specifically, "Quentin's Theme" hailed from the goth soap Dark Shadows . . .

The Charles Randolph Grean Sounde, "Quentin's Theme"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
The only durn soap worth watching on summer afternoons while stuck at my grandmas house.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #322 on: March 05, 2020, 03:09:29 pm »
Rosalind P. Walter, the First 'Rosie the Riveter,' Is Dead at 95

Rosalind P. Walter grew up in a wealthy and genteel Long Island, New York home. Yet when the United States entered World War II, she chose to join millions of other women in the homefront crusade to arm the troops with munitions, warships and aircraft.

She worked the night shift driving rivets into the metal bodies of Corsair fighter planes at a plant in Connecticut — a job that had almost always been reserved for men. A newspaper column about her inspired a morale-boosting 1942 song that turned her into the legendary Rosie the Riveter, the archetype of the hardworking women in overalls and bandanna-wrapped hair who kept the military factories humming.

Written by Redd Evans and John Jacob Loeb and popularized by the Four Vagabonds, the bandleader Kay Kyser and others, “Rosie the Riveter” captured a historical moment that helped sow the seeds of the women’s movement of the last half of the 20th century . . .

. . . But Rosie was just Walter’s first celebrated act. At her death on Wednesday at 95, she remained something of a public presence as a major philanthropist and one of PBS’ principal benefactors, her name intoned with others on programming like Great Performances, American Masters, PBS NewsHour, Nature and documentaries by Ken and Ric Burns.

She was the largest individual supporter of WNET in New York, helping to finance 67 shows or series starting in 1978.

Her friend Richard Somerset-Ward said she died at her home in Manhattan . . .

RIP.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #323 on: March 05, 2020, 03:15:44 pm »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #324 on: March 05, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »
Rosalind P. Walter, the First 'Rosie the Riveter,' Is Dead at 95

RIP.

@EasyAce

She was truly a great woman,and a great American as well. It was men and women like her that made America the great place it used to be.