Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 96033 times)

Offline berdie

Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #250 on: February 19, 2020, 09:37:49 pm »
Allowing that the show ran eleven years, there may be some truth in that. (Alan Alda and Loretta Swit were the only members of the cast to appear in every season from beginning to end.) On the other hand . . .

* Wayne Rogers (Trapper John) had the last laugh when he was sued for breach of contract upon leaving after the third season---he'd never even signed a contract. He didn't like the language of the so-called "morals" clause in the contract. He starred subsequently in the 1979-1982 television hit House Calls, before a double second career as a television and film producer/writer and investment advisor.

* McLean Stevenson (Henry Blake) was apparently miffed at not having been M*A*S*H's star and decided to leave over that and what he considered 20th Century Fox's callousness toward simple comforts on location. His subsequent run of starring turns in short-lived TV shows turned him into something of an industry gag, unfortunately, typically being the critic who once created "The Annual McLean Stevenson Memorial 'I'm Gonna Quit This Show and Become a Big Star' Award." In time, Stevenson would admit that walking away from M*A*S*H was the biggest mistake of his life.

* Gary Burghoff, possibly the single most typecast member of the M*A*S*H ensemble, left the show not because of ego or standing but because a) he felt burned out and that the long hours work on the show kept him too much from his family; and, b) he'd become close to McLean Stevenson and didn't feel comfortable working without him as the years passed since Stevenson's departure. Mike Farrell (B.J. Hunnicutt) actually tried to talk Burghoff out of leaving, unsuccessfully, even citing Stevenson's and Larry Linville's (Frank Burns) tanking post-M*A*S*H careers in his effort.

* Larry Linville (Burns) quit for, apparently, a purely character reason: he thought he'd taken Frank Burns as far as the character could go after finishing his five-year contract, even though he was offered a new deal.

* Marcia Strassman (Nurse Cutler in the first season) left when she had a shot at a new comedy in the works---Welcome Back, Kotter. (Where she was miserable thanks to a little deviousness on the part of the show's producer---he'd told Strassman and series creator/star Gabe Kaplan separately that one despised the other; only later did Strassman learn from Kaplan himself that he actually liked working with her and wanted more focus on the couple's home life on the show and thus more work for Strassman on it.)

Offline berdie

« Reply #251 on: February 19, 2020, 09:38:59 pm »
That's interesting. Thanks.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #252 on: February 19, 2020, 09:45:25 pm »
Not sure what you expected, Farr started his career about 1955 as a character actor and voice artist, Mash was his longest run in a series but after he continued working as a character and voice actor and never was a lead.

I was kidding. No better way to be typecast than to be a guy who for ten years shows up in every shot in a dress & heels. I'm not a big TV watcher beyond the mid 70s I honestly wasn't aware of his rolls after the series.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:46:50 pm by skeeter »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #253 on: February 19, 2020, 10:12:51 pm »
Jamie Farr had a baseball stadium named after him in Toledo. Not too shabby.

I saw him last year in a TV show “The Cool KIds” with Vicky Lawrence and Martin Mull.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #254 on: February 20, 2020, 03:26:30 pm »
Larry Tesler
Inventor of the "cut, copy and paste" function dies at 74

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #255 on: February 20, 2020, 08:24:47 pm »
Larry Tesler

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia

Xerox PARC - research Xerox couldn't figure out how to make profitable, but Apple did (after its stumble with the Lisa).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #256 on: February 20, 2020, 10:47:01 pm »
Larry Tesler

Obituary from the BBC

Wikipedia
God bless the man. Data transfers, especially in excel, have been made simple due to this one function alone, and editing is relatively easy because of it. RIP, sir, you have done the world a service.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #257 on: February 21, 2020, 05:28:49 pm »
God bless the man. Data transfers, especially in excel, have been made simple due to this one function alone, and editing is relatively easy because of it. RIP, sir, you have done the world a service.

Lots of the basic features in Apple Mac and (later) MS Windows were invented/created by Xerox PARC (Palo Alto Research Center), but in those days Xerox had an inverse Midas touch - touching gold and turning it, ummmm, brown. GUIs probably played a very large role in moving computers from use by geekasoid life-forms to ordinary people.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #258 on: February 23, 2020, 07:25:16 am »
Dixie Crush Singer Lindsey Lagestee Dead at 25 After Being Hit by a Car
Elyse Dupre

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/dixie-crush-singer-lindsey-lagestee-dead-at-25-after-being-hit-by-a-car/ar-BB10g1WF?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I don't think she was well-known but none the less, a tragedy and a young life cut shot, rest in peace.

Another accident involving a car hitting someone, in this case, it sounds like the victim was not killed.

Meghan Trainor's Father Struck By Car in Hit-and-Run Accident
2/22/2020 by Hilary Hughes

Meghan Trainor's father is recovering from a hit-and-run accident in Los Angeles on Friday night (Feb. 21).

As TMZ first reported, Gary Trainor -- who accompanied his daughter to the 2016 Grammy Awards when she won best new artist, and played piano on a few of the tracks off her 2011 album, Only 17 -- was crossing the street in the San Fernando Valley when he was struck by a car. He was rushed to the hospital shortly thereafter, and a representative for the singer confirmed to Billboard that he's now in stable condition.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8551686/meghan-trainor-dad-car-accident

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #259 on: February 23, 2020, 09:33:09 am »
A US daredevil pilot has been killed during an attempted launch of a homemade rocket in the Californian desert.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLuBDojtefA

ETA: Not sure if he got high enough to learn the Earth is round, but he certainly did learn something about gravity.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:34:58 am by Neverdul »
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #260 on: February 23, 2020, 01:00:26 pm »
ETA: Not sure if he got high enough to learn the Earth is round, but he certainly did learn something about gravity.
To say the least.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #261 on: February 23, 2020, 01:14:33 pm »
I think, this is the same guy who had been in the news before for building his own rocket.

'Mad' Mike Hughes dies after crash-landing homemade rocket

A US daredevil pilot has been killed during an attempted launch of a homemade rocket in the Californian desert.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Read more at: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51602655

My condolences but what could be more dangerous??

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #262 on: February 23, 2020, 02:40:38 pm »

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

The meme I stole from a Bookface thread on this story:

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #263 on: February 23, 2020, 08:10:11 pm »
B. Smith, model-turned-TV personality, dead at 70
By Nate Day, Fox News
February 23, 2020 | 12:58pm

B. Smith, known for her modeling career and her television program “B. Smith With Style,” has died after fighting early-onset Alzheimer’s disease. She was 70.

Smith, whose full name was Barbara Smith, was married to Dan Gasby, who shared the news on Facebook on Sunday morning. ... Full story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #264 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:08 pm »
The meme I stole from a Bookface thread on this story:

True dat! @Cyber Liberty

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2020, 05:19:16 pm »
Katherine Johnson, NASA mathematician depicted in 'Hidden Figures,' dies at 101

Katherine Johnson, one of the NASA mathematicians depicted in "Hidden Figures," died Monday, the administrator of NASA said. She was 101.

Johnson "was an American hero and her pioneering legacy will never be forgotten," NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine wrote on Twitter.

Johnson was portrayed by Taraji P. Henson in the Oscar-nominated 2016 film about trailblazing black women whose work at NASA was integral during the Space Race.

The film also stars Octavia Spencer as mathematician Dorothy Vaughan and Janelle Monáe as engineer Mary Jackson.

Johnson began working at NASA's predecessor, the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics’ in 1953 at the Langley laboratory in Virginia. In her role there, she did trajectory analysis for Alan Shepard’s 1961 mission Freedom 7, which was America’s first human spaceflight, according to NASA.

She was also the first woman in the Flight Research Division to receive credit as an author of a research report for her work with Ted Skopinski on detailing the equations describing an orbital spaceflight . . .

RIP to a brilliant lady.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »
We just watched Hidden Figures again...... AMAZING story about an incredible group of women, but Katherine in particular.

I read that one of her daughters said that her Mom couldn't figure out what the fuss was about when she finally began getting the publicity she deserved.

She said she was just doing her job.

Her kind of brilliance combined with humility is a rare combination.

Rest in the Peace of your Savior, Katherine!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2020, 05:27:47 pm »
We just watched Hidden Figures again...... AMAZING story about an incredible group of women, but Katherine in particular.

I read that one of her daughters said that her Mom couldn't figure out what the fuss was about when she finally began getting the publicity she deserved.

She said she was just doing her job.

Her kind of brilliance combined with humility is a rare combination.

Rest in the Peace of your Savior, Katherine!
@musiclady

If you haven't read the book, you should!

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #268 on: February 24, 2020, 05:31:16 pm »
@musiclady

You're right!  I should!!   888high58888

(Thanks!)

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #269 on: February 24, 2020, 05:39:42 pm »
Katherine Johnson, NASA mathematician depicted in 'Hidden Figures,' dies at 101

RIP to a brilliant lady.
So these gals were America's equivalent, to Bletchley Park?

Great stories.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2020, 05:59:29 pm »
@musiclady

I saw the movie (a couple of times) and plan on reading the book since I got a Kindle for my birthday and some free ebooks!

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2020, 06:08:46 pm »
@musiclady

I’m going to as well. RIP to a great lady.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2020, 06:10:11 pm »
I saw the movie (a couple of times) and plan on reading the book since I got a Kindle for my birthday and some free ebooks!

I just ordered it from Amazon.

Shoulda done that a long time ago!  happy77

Offline skeeter

« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2020, 06:15:46 pm »
So these gals were America's equivalent, to Bletchley Park?

Great stories.
They count among the most talented code breakers we had at the time. We owe ‘em a lot.

Offline Neverdul

« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2020, 06:55:32 pm »
They count among the most talented code breakers we had at the time. We owe ‘em a lot.

Katherine Johnson was not a “code breaker”. She was however a brilliant mathematician who, during the early space program and before the large scale implementation of computers, hand calculated trajectories, launch windows and emergency return paths for Project Mercury spaceflights, including those for astronauts Alan Shepard, the first American in space, and John Glenn, the first American in orbit, and rendezvous paths for the Apollo Lunar Module and command module on flights to the Moon. Her calculations were also essential to the beginning of the Space Shuttle program.