Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95920 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2020, 04:19:26 pm »
This is devastating news,  the Pat Metheny Group has literally been the 'soundtrack of my life' for the last 40 years.    I'll never forget that first time I heard San Lorenzo.

@dfwgator

I don't even like Jazz,which I call "notes in search of a tune",and even I know who they are.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »
Some of these don't have much pertinence to us except in this first case, apparently, they recorded some with Paul Simon in his album that had a South African influence to it.

Joseph Shabalala, Ladysmith Black Mambazo founder, has died at 78

The founder of the South African multi-Grammy-Award-winning music group Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Joseph Shabalala, the state broadcaster reported Tuesday. He was 78.

Shabalala died at a hospital in the capital, Pretoria, Tuesday morning, his family confirmed to local media. The group confirmed the news on social media, saying: "Through your music and the millions who you came in contact with, you shall live forever."

In this March 1993 file photo, Joseph Shabalala, front left, founder of South Africa's Ladysmith Black Mambazo, stands with the group and Paul Simon, front right, as they pose for a photograph.

More: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/joseph-shabalala-died-ladysmith-black-mambazo-founder-dead-age-78-cause-of-death-not-released/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

And, apparently, a big gospel singer in Kenya, "Papa Dennis" has died, young guy, maybe jumped out of a window which would be suicide which is what some earlier articles insinuated but this article is saying the police are looking at other possibilities.

Award winning Kenyan gospel musician Papa Dennis found dead by roadside
By Angella Semu   /   Tuesday, 11 Feb 2020

NAIROBI-(MaraviPost)-Renowned multiple award-winning Kenyan gospel artist, Dennis Mwangi popularly known as Papa Dennis is dead.

According to the reports, the body of Dennis was discovered on the roadside in Pangani, Nairobi, on Friday night, February 7, 2020.

His death was confirmed by Legendary gospel artist, Daddy Owen who was present at the scene.

See article: https://www.maravipost.com/award-winning-kenyan-gospel-musician-papa-dennis-found-dead-by-roadside/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/thesauce/the-seven-top-collabos-by-papa-dennis-that-you-should-listen-to-today/

So, all of this is interesting, not my cup-of-tea, what can one say.

Most cultures have some very good music, it's just hard to know, where to find it. I looked at a bit of Afghanistan music the other day.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2020, 06:06:42 pm »
Graceland was a great album.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2020, 06:09:22 pm »

Body found by the roadside and that's all they mention? Is there some PC editing being done by the reporting agency to hide murders of African Christians?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2020, 11:57:26 am »
Paul English, Willie Nelson's longtime drummer, dead at 87, publicist says
By Mariah Haas | Fox News

Paul English, Willie Nelson's longtime drummer, is dead, the singer's publicist confirmed to Fox News. He was 87.

Nelson's rep had no other details about English's death as of Wednesday.

English joined Nelson's band, nicknamed the Family, in 1966 and continued with him for most of his long career. English earned a reputation for brandishing a firearm and engaging in off-stage scuffles that made him an outlaw sideman as tough as Nelson.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/paul-english-willie-nelson-longtime-drummer-dead

wikipedia

Subject of song, "Me and Paul" by Willie Nelson:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline verga

« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2020, 01:22:33 pm »
wikipedia

Subject of song, "Me and Paul" by Willie Nelson:

I actually did see him (in Buffalo) 2X and the shows were amazing. He may be a liberal, but No politics in his show, just singing.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2020, 03:28:47 pm »
One of those actors whose face I recognize, but couldn't have told you the name.
Lynn Cohen, 'Sex and the City' Actress and Veteran Broadway Performer, Dies at 86
Ross A. Lincoln

Lynn Cohen, the veteran Broadway actress also known to millions for her role as Magda on the HBO series "Sex and the City" and its subsequent movies, died Friday, her representative told TheWrap. She was 86.

Born in Kansas City Missouri in 1933, Cohen had a wide ranging career with dozens of credits in film and television and the stage. Among her most well known roles, she portrayed Golda Meir in Steven Spielberg's "Munich," Mags in "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire," and also appeared in the films "Across the Universe, "Eagle Eye," the 2014 comedy "They Came Together," and Charlie Kauffman's "Synecdoche, New York," among many others. ...

IMDb listing
She had a recurring role as a judge in Law and Order - I thought that's where I'd seen her!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:30:09 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

« Reply #207 on: February 15, 2020, 04:32:51 pm »
One of those actors whose face I recognize, but couldn't have told you the name.

IMDb listing
She had a recurring role as a judge in Law and Order - I thought that's where I'd seen her!

She was great in Catching Fire, and very creepy in a Law and Order SVU.

Good actress....... but yeah.......... didn't know her name.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2020, 04:51:10 pm »
Douglas was a real actor and not just a "movie star" like a lot of Hollyweird denizens from that era.
Don't want to knock The Duke, but John Wayne basically played himself in every movie.
In fact, when Douglas took the chance to play Vincent Van Gogh in "Lust For Life," Wayne asked him why he'd want to play someone like Van Gogh when he could have accepted typical Hollyweird BIG STAR kind of roles.
But, of course, Douglas could do westerns extremely well. One of his best roles was the role of Marshal Matt Morgan in "Last Train From Gun Hill" one of the least known but best westerns of the fifties.
Anthony Quinn was also very good in the film.

@goatprairie

I couldn't remember watching "Last Train From Gun Hill" before. I watched it last nite and when watching the shootout scene at the end next to the train, it struck me that I'd seen that scene before.

A very memorable film. It must have been many a year ago that I saw it, or my memory is more shot than I've been letting on.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2020, 06:06:16 pm »
https://www.pahomepage.com/news/lord-of-the-rings-hobbit-illustrator-dies-at-90-in-susquehanna-county/

“Lord of the Rings”, “Hobbit” Illustrator Dies at 90 in Susquehanna County

THOMPSON, SUSQUEHANNA COUNTY (WBRE/WYOU-TV) Critically acclaimed local artist Barbara Remington has passed away at the age of 90.

Her illustrations inspired the imaginations of millions across the globe. But all that talent… Came from a small town in Susquehanna County.
Rachel Wargo, a teacher for Susquehanna Community School District reacted to the news. “It’s so crazy when you find out that something so big and worldly actually came out of a small town in Pennsylvania.”
“I think a lot of people in the area don’t realize that she lived here… The area itself, the people are friendly and nice. And helpful,” said Joseph Gosciewski of Herrick Center.

Remington passed away on Thursday. Friend and neighbor Doris Buchanan said Barbara was a one of a kind individual. Just as classic as her art pieces.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Mod2

« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2020, 07:42:39 pm »
Merging with the Obituary thread, as it's been over a week since Douglas' death.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:56 pm »
I actually did see him (in Buffalo) 2X and the shows were amazing. He may be a liberal, but No politics in his show, just singing.

A friend and I used to go every year to the annual Farm Aid show -- Willie is one of the stars behind the organization and he performs as the last act.  The guy is in his 80s and he may not be as energetic as he used to be, but he still puts on a good show.    And his bandmates are almost all longtime performers with him.  His son, Lukas, who has his own band, performs with Willie and I think he's the youngest one there. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2020, 09:39:15 pm »
Toronto Blue Jays legend Tony Fernandez dies at 57

⚾️ 1

The 18-season MLB veteran, who spent a plurality of his time with the Toronto Blue Jays and was a member of the World Series-winning 1993 squad, was a four-time Golden Glove shortstop who appeared in the All-Star Game five times. He died February 15 following a three-year battle with polycystic kidney disease.

Career stats

Wikipedia

cc: @EasyAce
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2020, 01:45:25 am »
@goatprairie

I couldn't remember watching "Last Train From Gun Hill" before. I watched it last nite and when watching the shootout scene at the end next to the train, it struck me that I'd seen that scene before.

A very memorable film. It must have been many a year ago that I saw it, or my memory is more shot than I've been letting on.
I first saw it when I was eight years old at a local movie theater. I didn't understand the racial or sexual element at that time. I  certainly wasn't capable of understanding much about plot devices and acting either.
To me it was just another western, and I loved westerns. I don't even know how I got to see the flick at a movie theater. I guess my older brother might have gotten me in.
Nevertheless, warning: spoiler there's  a scene in the movie where Earl Holliman and his pal rape and kill Kirk Douglas's Indian wife. Obviously, in those days little could be shown about those things in the movie theaters. There was one scene shown where Holliman and his pal rip the blouse off of Kirk's wife.
Of course, no nudity and no scenes of Holliman and his pal raping and killing her. But you can see from the rear her bare back.
So a few years later the movie showed up on NBC. Because of a one hour difference in Minn and Wisc
 the movie was telecast in Eau Claire Wis. one hour ahead of the same telecast in Rochester, Minn. We got both NBC stations.
So my old man started watching the Wisc telecast by himself. He stopped watching it for some reason and left the room. I later realized he had viewed the (implied) rape scene and turned the tv off.
One hour later I  came into the room and turned on the movie on the Rochester, Minn channel.
My father hearing the opening strains of the movie raced into the room and turned the tv off.
He obviously wasn't going to let any of his children see the bare back of some movie actor. I was still too young to understand anything about sex and rape, and the sight of a woman's bare back was hardly shocking even to an eleven year old boy.  You could see plenty bare female backs at the local beach.  I must admit the actress was quite good looking even to an eleven year old.
But my father wasn't going to let me led into temptation, no sirree bob.
Those were the days.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:46:53 am by goatprairie »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2020, 04:03:02 am »
Jason Davis
Child actor and heir to a billion-dollar fortune dies at 35

Davis, the grandson of oil baron Marvin Davis (the guy who owned 20th Century Fox before Rupert Murdoch bought it), found work as a child voice actor, including the speaking voice of Mikey Blumberg (not to be confused with mayor Michael Bloomberg) on the Saturday morning cartoon Recess. He continued to make sporadic acting appearances as an adult but by 2011 had lapsed into drug addiction, which landed him a spot on the reality show Celebrity Rehab.

Davis died February 16 of unknown causes.

Obituary from the Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2020, 04:49:36 am »
Jason Davis
Child actor and heir to a billion-dollar fortune dies at 35

Davis, the grandson of oil baron Marvin Davis (the guy who owned 20th Century Fox before Rupert Murdoch bought it), found work as a child voice actor, including the speaking voice of Mikey Blumberg (not to be confused with mayor Michael Bloomberg) on the Saturday morning cartoon Recess. He continued to make sporadic acting appearances as an adult but by 2011 had lapsed into drug addiction, which landed him a spot on the reality show Celebrity Rehab.

Davis died February 16 of unknown causes.

Obituary from the Hollywood Reporter

Wikipedia

IMDB

@jmyrlefuller

Sad to see someone go so young that had such a strong work ethic. He surely didn't have to be out hunting for jobs as a kid,but he was.

Addiction has no respect for anyone,though. If you are unfortunate enough to be born with that gene,you just can't drink or do drugs like all your
friends. Even one drink or hit is too much.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2020, 10:56:52 am »
I heard about this and this is more for the British but....
Caroline Flack: politicians condemn press intrusion after presenter's death

ITV says Sunday’s Love Island will not be broadcast as calls mount for regulation of traditional and social media

Politicians have condemned press intrusion, calling for more regulation of both traditional and social media after the death of TV presenter Caroline Flack.

The former Love Island presenter is understood to have taken her own life on Saturday at her home in Islington, London. She had been charged with assaulting her partner and was due to stand trial in several weeks’ time.

ITV confirmed that Sunday’s episode of Love Island would not be broadcast but the current series would continue on Monday.

Read more at: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/feb/16/politicians-condemn-press-intrusion-after-caroline-flacks-death

So, it is said, she took her own life.

Was the journalism and the reporting that "she assaulted her partner" and was being taken to court a big reason Flack killed herself? She was lovely and this is unfortunate.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #217 on: February 18, 2020, 04:13:39 pm »
Tony Fernandez, who won 4 straight Gold Gloves with the Blue Jays, dies at 57
By Associated Press   Feb 16, 2020

Tony Fernández, a stylish shortstop who made five All-Star teams during his 17 seasons in the major leagues and helped the Toronto Blue Jays win the 1993 World Series, died Sunday after complications from a kidney disease. He was 57.

Fernández was taken off a life support system in the afternoon with his family present at a hospital in Weston, Florida, said Imrad Hallim, the director and co-founder of the Tony Fernández Foundation. Fernández had been in a medically induced coma and had waited years for a new kidneys.

Fernández won four straight Gold Gloves with the Blue Jays in the 1980s and holds club records for career hits and games played. A clutch hitter in five trips to the postseason, he had four separate stints with Toronto and played for six other teams.

Read more at: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ct-tony-fernandez-toronto-blue-jays-dies-20200216-6f6vmyyoznbvxd4xwfzzpcmfy4-story.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Fern%C3%A1ndez  He was waiting for a kidney transplant since 2017, it sounds like the articles say.

Hall of Fame golfer Mickey Wright dies
Feb. 17, 2020

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Hall of Fame golfer Mickey Wright, who won 82 LPGA tournaments including 13 majors, died Monday of a heart attack, her attorney said. Wright was 85.

Attorney Sonia Pawluc said Wright had been hospitalized in Florida for the last few weeks after being injured in a fall.

FILE - In this July 1, 1961 file photo, Mickey Wright poses after winning her third Women's National Open golf championship, at the Baltusrol Golf Club at Springfield, N.J. Hall of Fame golfer Wright, who won 82 LPGA tournaments including 13 majors, died Monday, Feb. 17, 2020, of a heart attack, her attorney said. Wright was 85. (AP Photo/File)

Read more at: https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Hall-of-Fame-golfer-Mickey-Wright-dies-15063289.php

There will be debate on who the best female golfer of all time is, but she does top some lists.

http://www.sportsmuntra.com/10-best-female-golfers-time/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 04:16:30 pm by TomSea »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #218 on: February 18, 2020, 05:10:32 pm »
I heard about this and this is more for the British but....
So, it is said, she took her own life.

Was the journalism and the reporting that "she assaulted her partner" and was being taken to court a big reason Flack killed herself? She was lovely and this is unfortunate.

@TomSea

Sadly,it almost seems to be a rule of nature that it is ALWAYS the wrong people who kill themselves on purpose.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #219 on: February 18, 2020, 05:13:48 pm »
Hall of Fame golfer Mickey Wright, who won 82 LPGA tournaments including 13 majors,

YIKES!

THAT is impressive,I don't care who you are.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #220 on: February 18, 2020, 05:42:22 pm »
Kellye Nakahara, 'M*A*S*H' star, dead at 72

Kellye Nakahara, who starred as Lieutenant Nurse Kellye Yamato on "M*A*S*H," has died, Fox News can confirm.

A family source said the artist and actress passed away peacefully on Sunday at her home in Pasadena, Calif., following a brief battle with cancer. She was surrounded by her close friends and family. She was 72.

"She was a tremendous wife, mother and she was a great friend to all who knew her. The world is going to miss her," the source said. "During her time with cancer, she always received letters from fans and everyone who watched 'M*A*S*H,' and she was always so shocked by all the love she received from those who loved Nurse Kellye . . .

The classic M*A*S*H episode featuring Nurse Kellye and Hawkeye Pierce . . .

M*A*S*H, "Hey, Look Me Over"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

In real life, she was also quite a visual artist.

RIP Nurse Kellye . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #221 on: February 18, 2020, 05:48:13 pm »
Apparently she was a Hollyweird rarity, an actor married to the same person for some 52 years. I don't think she was all that caught up in the "weird" of Hollyweird, "just" a regular working person (may her number multiply).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #222 on: February 18, 2020, 07:06:19 pm »
Apparently she was a Hollyweird rarity, an actor married to the same person for some 52 years. I don't think she was all that caught up in the "weird" of Hollyweird, "just" a regular working person (may her number multiply).

@PeteS in CA

There are a lot of those people. They just live quiet lives away from work,and we never hear anything about them.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #223 on: February 18, 2020, 07:15:13 pm »
@PeteS in CA
@sneakypete

I read about her once and discovered her first love was visual art, which she never gave up even when she became an actress and M*A*S*H cast member and took on sporadic television and film roles in later years. (Her specialty was watercolours, and she signed her works with her married name, Kellye Wallett.) She had that in common with Anthony Quinn, a far bigger star, who had a passion for art and liked to visit foundries and studios when he traveled so he could work on pieces. Things like that keep you grounded whether you become a big star or a regular working actor/actress.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #224 on: February 18, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »
Ja'net Dubois dies at age 74: Good Times actress, two-time Emmy winner and singer passes away in her sleep
By Sarah Sotoodeh For Dailymail.com
Published: 16:32 EST, 18 February 2020 | Updated: 16:45 EST, 18 February 2020

Ja'net Dubois has died at the age of 74 at her home in Glendale, California.

The actress, who played Willona Woods on the sitcom Good Times in the seventies, died unexpectedly in her sleep overnight, TMZ reported.

Ja'net, who has three children, was most recently seen at a fan event a few weeks ago and had not complained of any ailments recently. ...More at Daily Mail

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org