Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95706 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #725 on: May 11, 2020, 09:51:19 pm »
Never watched "Seinfeld", not even once.
Why watch a show "about nothing" ???

(I have little tolerance for comedies or "comedians" of any kind, anyway...)

Offline Applewood

« Reply #726 on: May 11, 2020, 10:57:03 pm »

I was no fan of Seinfeld either.  But I grew up watching Jerry Stiller with his wife, Anne Meara, when they were frequent guests on the Ed Sullivan Show.  They were funny, as were most comedians back then.  Today's so-called comedians -- not so much.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #727 on: May 11, 2020, 11:16:00 pm »
You'd better get down on your knees and thank God for laughter, because without it you'd get awful sick from the sound of crying.---Danny Thomas.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #728 on: May 12, 2020, 12:41:45 pm »
My favorite Jerry Stiller scene of all time. Let's rumble!

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
The Republic is lost.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #729 on: May 12, 2020, 06:03:17 pm »

Because it's the all-time greatest sitcom, that's why. You're cheating yourself out of laughs...which there aren't a lot of lately.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #730 on: May 12, 2020, 06:45:14 pm »
To live without humor is to live without life.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #731 on: May 12, 2020, 07:59:35 pm »

What do you laugh at, if anything? Not counting corrupt pols, that is.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #732 on: May 12, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »
:yowsa:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #733 on: May 13, 2020, 01:13:23 am »

I am not a fan of most comedies, simply because (the more modern stuff, anyway) there is little I find funny. But watch Bob Hope in his prime, or George Burns and Gracie Allen, even up to Archie Bunker or Sanford and Son, and there are chuckles there, and on occasion, a belly laugh. Some of the classic comedians will elicit a laugh, because they were having fun with human nature, (Carlin did that, too, best when he wasn't using vocal prompts as a signal to laugh).

But I have sat through more modern fare without so much as a grin, and that's depressing.

It doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour, much I believe as you do, just that I find other things far more amusing than the politically correct agenda driven joke du jour with a laugh track to hold up the 'applause sign".
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #734 on: May 13, 2020, 07:28:42 pm »
 22chief

@
I am not a fan of most comedies, simply because (the more modern stuff, anyway) there is little I find funny. But watch Bob Hope in his prime, or George Burns and Gracie Allen, even up to Archie Bunker or Sanford and Son, and there are chuckles there, and on occasion, a belly laugh. Some of the classic comedians will elicit a laugh, because they were having fun with human nature, (Carlin did that, too, best when he wasn't using vocal prompts as a signal to laugh).

But I have sat through more modern fare without so much as a grin, and that's depressing.

It doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour, much I believe as you do, just that I find other things far more amusing than the politically correct agenda driven joke du jour with a laugh track to hold up the 'applause sign".

@Smokin Joe

I pull in,and record,stuff like the Carol Burnette Show,You Bet Your Life (Groucho),Tales from the Crypt,and Alfred Hitchcock Presents on my 43 buck RCA HD tv antenna.

Some may be more sardonic than slapstick,but the humor is there.

ANYBODY that doesn't think Conway and Korman from the Carole Burnett Show isn't funny needs a funny bone implant. That was some PRIME stuff!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:30:52 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #735 on: May 13, 2020, 07:43:15 pm »
Groucho Marx, my hero!

Carlin was great, could be the best.
Robin Williams stand up was pretty amazing.

Even though we have all watched it a million times, I dare any of you to watch Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first" and not laugh.

Harpo, Chico and Groucho in the Mirror scene from the movie "Duck Soup" will get you every time.
(Lucille Ball re-did the Mirror Scene on TV with Harpo later on).

Tim Conway and Carol Burnett were flat out hilarious.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #736 on: May 13, 2020, 07:46:45 pm »
I am not a fan of most comedies, simply because (the more modern stuff, anyway) there is little I find funny. But watch Bob Hope in his prime, or George Burns and Gracie Allen, even up to Archie Bunker or Sanford and Son, and there are chuckles there, and on occasion, a belly laugh . . .

Bob Hope and Burns & Allen were far funnier in their radio years:

The Bob Hope Show
The Burns & Allen Show
(Look especially for the 1940 "Gracie for President" running gag, when she ran a comical campaign as the nominee of the Surprise Party.)

. . . and even they were bested in the radio years by . . .

The Jack Benny Program
Texaco Star Theater with Fred Allen
The Fred Allen Show
Easy Aces
The Henry Morgan Show
You Bet Your Life
Fibber McGee & Molly
The Big Show
Vic & Sade
The Goldbergs

At those links are complete surviving installments of those shows' runs. Free downloading.

(The Big Show was a 1950-52 attempt by NBC to revive classic radio variety shows---with a truckload of comedy including Fred Allen (a very frequent guest and co-writer), Bob Burns, Jack Carson, Jimmy Durante, Phil Harris, Bob Hope, George Jessel, Bert Lahr, Groucho Marx, Danny Thomas, and others. The whole shebang was hosted by Tallulah Bankhead and the writing staff was headed by Easy Aces mastermind Goodman Ace.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 07:49:26 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #737 on: May 13, 2020, 08:14:29 pm »
22chief

@
@Smokin Joe

I pull in,and record,stuff like the Carol Burnette Show,You Bet Your Life (Groucho),Tales from the Crypt,and Alfred Hitchcock Presents on my 43 buck RCA HD tv antenna.

Some may be more sardonic than slapstick,but the humor is there.

ANYBODY that doesn't think Conway and Korman from the Carole Burnett Show isn't funny needs a funny bone implant. That was some PRIME stuff!
The Burnett show was great stuff. Conway as the dentist is a classic. Those are all great shows, but there is little new in the same vein that isn't laced with PC and gratuitous faggotry.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #738 on: May 13, 2020, 08:58:31 pm »
The Burnett show was great stuff. Conway as the dentist is a classic. Those are all great shows, but there is little new in the same vein that isn't laced with PC and gratuitous faggotry.

Conway and Korman were hysterical together.  Korman was just funny because, especially with Conway, he could not keep a straight face in any skit.  My favorite skits had Conway as the "world's oldest" something -- it changed weekly.  One skit had Conway as the world's oldest fireman.  Poor Harvey Korman could barely get out his lines; he was laughing so much.

The show also spoofed movies and tv shows.  A classic was Burnett's takeoff on Gone With the Wind (titled "Went With the Wind" for the Carol Burnett Show).  In the movie there is a  scene where Scarlett has Mammy make her a dress from drapes  In the Burnett spoof, Carol as Scarlett descends a staircase wearing a dress made out of drapery material -- and a drapery rod across her back.  The story goes that the taping of that scene had to be halted for a good ten or fifteen minutes.  The studio audience was laughing so hard, the performers could not continue with the skit. 

By the way, that drapery dress from the Carol Burnett Show is now in the Smithsonian. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #739 on: May 13, 2020, 09:45:01 pm »
The modern p.c. is the worst thing. Plus, the incessant foul language from many "comedians."
A great many of them are liberals who while quite willing to skewer Christian public (or private) figures, but sheath their swords about Islam.
In short, they are cowardly hypocrites.
I've seen a number of skits on YouTube by so-called major comedians like Louis C.K. and some others. Not even a slight titter out of me.
I did see a Norm MacDonald sketch a while back that left me helpless with laughter.
So there are a few comedians today who are actually funny. Just not many of them.
Jeff Dunham is real good.
The wife and I watch Johnny Carson shows from forty years ago and still laugh.
Rodney Dangerfield was on one time, and  Carson was so convulsed he could barely speak.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #740 on: May 13, 2020, 10:39:18 pm »
Groucho Marx, my hero!

Carlin was great, could be the best.
Robin Williams stand up was pretty amazing.

Even though we have all watched it a million times, I dare any of you to watch Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first" and not laugh.

Harpo, Chico and Groucho in the Mirror scene from the movie "Duck Soup" will get you every time.
(Lucille Ball re-did the Mirror Scene on TV with Harpo later on).

Tim Conway and Carol Burnett were flat out hilarious.

@GrouchoTex

Don't forget Harvey Korman. He and Tim Conway provided the hysterical laughter. Carol Burnette was a great comedic actress on her own,but when Conway and Korman were on camera doing their thing,she was more of a "straight man" and a witness than anything else.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #741 on: May 13, 2020, 10:48:15 pm »
The modern p.c. is the worst thing. Plus, the incessant foul language from many "comedians."
A great many of them are liberals who while quite willing to skewer Christian public (or private) figures, but sheath their swords about Islam.
In short, they are cowardly hypocrites.
I've seen a number of skits on YouTube by so-called major comedians like Louis C.K. and some others. Not even a slight titter out of me.
I did see a Norm MacDonald sketch a while back that left me helpless with laughter.
So there are a few comedians today who are actually funny. Just not many of them.
Jeff Dunham is real good.
The wife and I watch Johnny Carson shows from forty years ago and still laugh.
Rodney Dangerfield was on one time, and  Carson was so convulsed he could barely speak.

@goatprairie

Norm is so anti-PC he can't even get a gig working for free. I sorta vaguely remember his blowing his career by making fun of the Clintons on SNL and various other teebee shows,and that is what did him in. He actually had a hit comedy series on teebee at the time,and it was cancelled in mid-season and I think there were still taped episodes that were never seen.

Ron White is another one. Maybe the biggest compliment I got in my life was a good friend of mine called me on the phone one night,practically hysterical with laughter as he told me he had just seen a comedian on tv "that's doing your stuff! I had to look hard to make sure it wasn't you!"

I have to admit I had never heard of White at the time,and had to look him up on youtube to check for myself. Sure enough,he was saying a lot of the same things I had been saying,but better.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #742 on: May 14, 2020, 01:06:38 am »

I fart, therefore I am.   :beer:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #743 on: May 14, 2020, 12:00:12 pm »
Barry Farber
Famed conservative talk radio pioneer and language enthusiast dies at 90

Farber enjoyed a radio career lasting six decades, much of that based in New York City. At various times his work was nationally syndicated, first through Kaiser Broadcasting for a brief period in the late 1970s, by ABC in the late 1980s, and then through both Cable Radio Network and Talk Radio Network (the latter also using Farber as a frequent fill-in for Laura Ingraham and their other talk hosts) beginning in the 1990s. He was still hosting shows for CRN at the time of his death, desiring never to retire.

An enthusiastic learner of languages and foreign traveler, Farber claimed knowledge of about 25 foreign languages. He wrote three books during his lifetime: Making People Talk: You Can Turn Every Conversation into a Magic Moment; How to Learn Any Language: Quickly, Easily, Inexpensively, Enjoyably and on Your Own; and How to Not Make the Same Mistake Once. He was, for a brief time in the late 1970s, a political gadfly, running as a Republican against Congresswoman Bella Abzug and the Conservative Party nominee for NYC mayor against Ed Koch, losing both races but earning respectable publicity.

Farber died May 6, one day after his 90th birthday, from complications from a series of falls.

Obituary from Newsbrig.com

Wikipedia
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #744 on: May 14, 2020, 04:31:51 pm »
Barry Farber
Famed conservative talk radio pioneer and language enthusiast dies at 90

Farber enjoyed a radio career lasting six decades, much of that based in New York City. At various times his work was nationally syndicated, first through Kaiser Broadcasting for a brief period in the late 1970s, by ABC in the late 1980s, and then through both Cable Radio Network and Talk Radio Network (the latter also using Farber as a frequent fill-in for Laura Ingraham and their other talk hosts) beginning in the 1990s. He was still hosting shows for CRN at the time of his death, desiring never to retire.

An enthusiastic learner of languages and foreign traveler, Farber claimed knowledge of about 25 foreign languages. He wrote three books during his lifetime: Making People Talk: You Can Turn Every Conversation into a Magic Moment; How to Learn Any Language: Quickly, Easily, Inexpensively, Enjoyably and on Your Own; and How to Not Make the Same Mistake Once. He was, for a brief time in the late 1970s, a political gadfly, running as a Republican against Congresswoman Bella Abzug and the Conservative Party nominee for NYC mayor against Ed Koch, losing both races but earning respectable publicity.

Farber died May 6, one day after his 90th birthday, from complications from a series of falls.

Obituary from Newsbrig.com

Wikipedia
I met Barry Farber in 1989, when he was the MC for Congressional legend Hamilton Fish's 101st birthday affair in New York and I was covering the affair for the upstate New York daily for which I worked at the time. He was a nice man who'd answer any question you asked honestly. And he wasn't a bombastic B.S. artist like a lot of radio's talking heads were beginning to become at the time I met him.

RIP Mr. Farber.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #745 on: May 15, 2020, 08:59:34 pm »
Medal of Honor recipient Ronald Shurer, hero combat medic in Afghanistan, dies at 41 from cancer

...Shurer was a senior medical sergeant in the special forces on April 6, 2008, when his team encountered machine gun and sniper fire and rocket-propelled grenades from militants.

Shurer stabilized one soldier, then fought his way amid gunfire up a mountain to the lead members of the unit. There, he treated and stabilized four more soldiers. Shurer helped evacuate them. He lowered the wounded down the steep mountainside while using his body to shield them from enemy fire.

After he had loaded the wounded in an evacuation helicopter, Shurer went back up the mountain to fight.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/15/ronald-shurer-medal-honor-recipient-41-dies-cancer/5196854002/

This guy was a real hero.  Rest in peace, Sgt. Shurer.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2020, 09:14:52 pm »
Medal of Honor recipient Ronald Shurer, hero combat medic in Afghanistan, dies at 41 from cancer

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/15/ronald-shurer-medal-honor-recipient-41-dies-cancer/5196854002/

Way, way too young!  RIP, Sarge!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #747 on: May 15, 2020, 10:55:53 pm »

@Applewood

That he was,but as tough as he was,nobody is tougher than cancer when it wants to take you.

A damn shame. He surely had so much more to contribute.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #748 on: May 16, 2020, 12:35:06 am »
RIP Sergeant...and thanks from all of us.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #749 on: May 16, 2020, 04:01:22 pm »
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/carlos-santana-brother-jorge-santana-dead

Carlos Santana's brother, guitarist Jorge Santana, dead at 68

Carlos Santana's brother Jorge Santana has died. He was 68.

The famed guitarist announced the death of his brother on his official Facebook account early Friday.
Like Carlos, Jorge became known for his impressive guitar skills, beginning at the reported age of 14 when he joined a band in the 1960s called The Malibus.

Jorge's band later changed their name to Malo. They went on to sign with Warner Bros. and became best known for their hit "Suavecito."

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.