Author Topic: Obituaries for 2020  (Read 95922 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Obituaries for 2020
« Reply #700 on: May 10, 2020, 03:02:26 pm »
Two factors: the Baby Boomers turned 13 in 1959, meaning you had a bunch of swooning teen girls coming of age, and organized crime was filtering into the music industry in the major cities. Look at how many of the major names of that era were East Coast Italians. It was no coincidence... it was becoming, in the words of the late Frank Zappa, "strictly commercial."

After the first wave, of say Elvis, JLL, Holly, and a few others, the period 1959-1964 was pretty much a lull, and a bowl of Yellow Snow.  (building on your Zappa meme)
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #701 on: May 10, 2020, 03:26:06 pm »
Swooning teen girls are a very good thing.

Most males are driven by the biological mating instinct to please, interface, and be with them.

A good song was and remains a method, even if it comes from the dash of an automobile, or by the Singing cowboy

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #702 on: May 10, 2020, 03:40:20 pm »
Italians were good, too. This vid proves they could keep it up for decades

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #703 on: May 10, 2020, 03:40:54 pm »
Two factors: the Baby Boomers turned 13 in 1959, meaning you had a bunch of swooning teen girls coming of age, and organized crime was filtering into the music industry in the major cities. Look at how many of the major names of that era were East Coast Italians. It was no coincidence... it was becoming, in the words of the late Frank Zappa, "strictly commercial."
hmmm.....interesting theory.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #704 on: May 10, 2020, 03:51:06 pm »
Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Singer Betty Wright Dead at 66
5/10/2020 8:26 AM PT

Betty Wright, a supremely talented R&B singer who popularized the phrase, "No pain, no gain," has died.

Wright's cause of death was not announced when her niece confirmed the passing. Something was clearly wrong though because 2 days ago, Chaka Khan made a plea ... "Calling all my #PrayWarriors. My beloved sister, Betty Wright @MsBettyWright, is now in need of all your prayers."

Wright, whom some in the music industry called one of the most underrated singers of her time, was recently honored on TV One's, "Unsung."

Betty recorded so many songs, including her 1971 hit, "Clean Up Woman. She was only 18 when the song was released, and it turned out to be her biggest song ever. Other hits included "Let Me Be Your Lovermaker," "Shoorah Shoorah," "Tonight is the Night," and "Where is the Love."   ... TMZ
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #705 on: May 10, 2020, 04:52:05 pm »
That pink album cover portrays her as a beauty.

Too young.  (her own son died too young from thug violence)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #706 on: May 10, 2020, 05:20:42 pm »
hmmm.....interesting theory.
Meanwhile, two titans of music were born in 1959 and spent the next four years maturing:

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #707 on: May 10, 2020, 05:53:42 pm »
Don't forget Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Link Wray, etal.
One huge question I have is given the talent of those rnr titans, how did rock degenerate so bad in the late fifties until the Beatles arrived on the scene?

@goatprairie

IMNSHO,this happened because it became "big bidnez",and was taken out of the hands of the fans that produced and promoted it,and handed over to the corporations,whose business model is "don't make waves and sell "comfortable product".

Many parents in the 50's and early 60's violently opposed this "demonic music that promotes sex!". At least one song by Link Wray was banned from air play due to being "too suggestive". I THINK it was Rumble,even though there are only guitar riffs (MASTER guitar riffs,btw),but it could have been "Good Time Joe","Backwoods Preacher Man",or any of the others.

My parents,for some odd reason I will never understand,LOVED it. They never even complained about "that noise" when I was cranking up Lynard Skynard and Pink Floyd in the 70's. Sometimes they would even ask me the name of a song they really liked.AFAIK,none of my friends at that time had this experience.

BTW,for those who don't know,Link Wray was still touring and trying to get record contracts,right up to the time he died a few years ago.

When it comes to 50's guitar,Link Wray WAS "the man"!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 06:01:16 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #708 on: May 10, 2020, 06:22:57 pm »
Late 1950s hetero American males singing for the pleasures of "swooning teenage girls"-non denomic style

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #709 on: May 10, 2020, 07:11:41 pm »
Late 1950s hetero American males singing for the pleasures of "swooning teenage girls"-non denomic style

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

@truth_seeker

Uhhh,what does this have to do with death notices? Does listening to it make you suicidal?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #710 on: May 10, 2020, 10:25:19 pm »
Don't forget Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Link Wray, etal.
One huge question I have is given the talent of those rnr titans, how did rock degenerate so bad in the late fifties until the Beatles arrived on the scene?
On Sirius radio some months ago they put on the top hits of 1961. The wife and I gagged at all the maudlin, sappy tunes that were hits at the time. Bob Dylan was right....rock at that time was, in his words,  "a piece of cream."
Frankie Avalon. Paul Anka?  :3:

Buddy Holly, Link Ray, Eddie Cochran and others no doubt were among the early greats, but they came along a few years later.

I agree that rock went blah for the early 60's. But then came along the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and a zillion others right after.

Then it kinda died again in the early-to-mid-70's until roaring back to life in the late 70's/80's. Same pattern can be said for each decade until finally mostly fizzling out for good around 2010.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 10:26:25 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #711 on: May 11, 2020, 03:25:47 am »
After the first wave, of say Elvis, JLL, Holly, and a few others, the period 1959-1964 was pretty much a lull, and a bowl of Yellow Snow.  (building on your Zappa meme)
So you're saying it took the music industry some time to get the Dinah Moe Humm?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #712 on: May 11, 2020, 03:36:29 am »
So you're saying it took the music industry some time to get the Dinah Moe Humm?

Actually it took a lead filled snowshoe. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #713 on: May 11, 2020, 03:47:15 am »
Actually it took a lead filled snowshoe.
What kind of shoe was it when they came up with rap

Offline Applewood

« Reply #714 on: May 11, 2020, 09:15:10 am »
Jerry Stiller, comedian and 'Seinfeld' actor, dies at 92

Comedy veteran Jerry Stiller, who launched his career opposite wife Anne Meara in the 1950s and reemerged four decades later as the hysterically high-strung Frank Costanza on the smash television show “Seinfeld,” died at 92, his son Ben Stiller announced Monday.

He died of natural causes, his son — a comedy star himself — said in a tweet.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/jerry-stiller-comedian-seinfeld-actor-dies-92-70611265

8888crybaby

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #715 on: May 11, 2020, 10:19:54 am »
Jerry Stiller, comedian and 'Seinfeld' actor, dies at 92

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/jerry-stiller-comedian-seinfeld-actor-dies-92-70611265

8888crybaby

Rush was known for having great intro bits before their concerts started.  My favorite , was the one by Jerry Stiller during their R-30 Tour.

His parts are at about 1:50- 3:10, and 6:15- 6:25 on the clip.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #716 on: May 11, 2020, 10:48:13 am »
It really did come in three's this time. RIP, Mr. Stiller. You’re with your beloved wife now.

And thank you and your wife for all the laughter.

888cryingkitty
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline verga

« Reply #717 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
Then it kinda died again in the early-to-mid-70's until roaring back to life in the late 70's/80's. Same pattern can be said for each decade until finally mostly fizzling out for good around 2010.
I will gently remind yoiu that the late 70 had Disco, and the early 80's began the birth of rap/hip hop
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #718 on: May 11, 2020, 11:32:05 am »
I will gently remind yoiu that the late 70 had Disco, and the early 80's began the birth of rap/hip hop
And yet, mankind survived.   

Offline verga

« Reply #719 on: May 11, 2020, 11:35:43 am »
Rush was known for having great intro bits before their concerts started.  My favorite , was the one by Jerry Stiller during their R-30 Tour.

Silly me, I was expecting to see Rush Limbaugh.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #720 on: May 11, 2020, 11:51:13 am »
And yet, mankind survived.
Not for much longer at this rate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #721 on: May 11, 2020, 11:55:44 am »
Not for much longer at this rate.
Where's your sense of adventure, bro?
 :laugh:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #722 on: May 11, 2020, 06:27:40 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Stiller & Meara, "The 25,000 Insurance Policy"

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Stiller & Meara, reunited in heaven.

RIP

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #723 on: May 11, 2020, 08:32:10 pm »
What was great about Seinfeld is that even the secondary characters were often hilarious.
Jerry Stiller, as George Costanza's father, was one of the funniest characters on the show even with limited air time. Ditto for Newman played by Wayne Knight.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #724 on: May 11, 2020, 08:43:39 pm »
What was great about Seinfeld is that even the secondary characters were often hilarious.
Jerry Stiller, as George Costanza's father, was one of the funniest characters on the show even with limited air time. Ditto for Newman played by Wayne Knight.

Seinfeld by far had a vencacular that impacted the English Language probably more than any other TV show.

Yada Yada, Regift, Bromanze, Shrinkage, Spongeworthy, Close Talker, Festivus, Man Hands, Soup Nazi, Double Dip, In the Vault, and probably some I missed.  Your right, the supporting cast brought a ton to the table.