Author Topic: Correcting the Legacy of Los Angeles-Class Submarines  (Read 241 times)

rangerrebew

Correcting the Legacy of Los Angeles-Class Submarines
« on: January 01, 2020, 01:20:34 pm »

Correcting the Legacy of Los Angeles-Class Submarines
By Captain William Toti, U.S. Navy (Retired)
December 2019
Proceedings
Vol. 145/12/1,402

The space systems engineering curriculum at the Naval Postgraduate School offered only one class on manned spaceflight. The professor began the class by summarizing the accomplishments of NASA in low earth orbit. After 20 minutes of orbit corrections, maneuver, docking, spacewalks, and other early space program breakthroughs, a student finally raised his hand and said, “Professor, you do know that NASA put men on the moon, don’t you?”

I had a similar reaction at the 26 October commissioning of the USS Indianapolis (LCS-17) in Burns Harbor, Indiana. More than 10,000 attendees sat in a cold rain listening to six nearly identical speeches. It was as if the speechwriters all drew from the same incomplete Wikipedia article. Each speech started on the right note, regaling the accomplishments of the storied cruiser of the same name, USS Indianapolis (CA-35), and honoring the four survivors in attendance. Since I have been working with the cruiser survivors for more than 20 years, I know that no matter how many times their story is told, it is not enough.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2019/december/correcting-legacy-los-angeles-class-submarines

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Correcting the Legacy of Los Angeles-Class Submarines
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 04:09:32 pm »
Cyber Son served aboard a Los Angeles class sub....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Correcting the Legacy of Los Angeles-Class Submarines
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 04:18:37 pm »
My "Oil Patch" MMN1 son served on 2 Los Angeles Class subs.