Author Topic: Alex Trebek opens up about depression amid battle with pancreatic cancer  (Read 815 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Alex Trebek opens up about depression amid battle with pancreatic cancer
Alex Trebek is getting candid about another side effect in his ongoing battle with cancer: depression.

The “Jeopardy!” host and his wife, Jean, sat down for an interview with “Good Morning America” host Michael Strahan that will air Thursday. Trebek opened up about his cancer diagnosis and how it has affected his mental health.

“My oncologist told me one of the symptoms, if you will, of pancreatic cancer is that you get these moments of depression, sadness,” Trebek, 79, said in a preview post released Monday.

The longtime quiz-show host first announced his Stage 4 pancreatic cancer in a YouTube video in March, vowing to "beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2019-12-31/alex-trebek-jeopardy-talks-depression
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Re: Alex Trebek opens up about depression amid battle with pancreatic cancer
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2020, 11:16:04 am »
Alex Trebek opens up about depression amid battle with pancreatic cancer
Alex Trebek is getting candid about another side effect in his ongoing battle with cancer: depression.

The “Jeopardy!” host and his wife, Jean, sat down for an interview with “Good Morning America” host Michael Strahan that will air Thursday. Trebek opened up about his cancer diagnosis and how it has affected his mental health.

“My oncologist told me one of the symptoms, if you will, of pancreatic cancer is that you get these moments of depression, sadness,” Trebek, 79, said in a preview post released Monday.

The longtime quiz-show host first announced his Stage 4 pancreatic cancer in a YouTube video in March, vowing to "beat the low survival rate statistics for this disease.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2019-12-31/alex-trebek-jeopardy-talks-depression

Bless you Mr. Trebeck. You are a real “mensch”. I hope you beat both.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2020, 11:46:36 am »

Bless you Mr. Trebeck. You are a real “mensch”. I hope you beat both.

Same here. I hope he beats it.

There was a talk radio host in Baltimore – Ron Smith, who I had listened to for many years, and I’m not into most talk radio shows. I even called in and emailed his show a few times. Brilliant man, wickedly funny, conservative but definitely not a party line GOP’er, somewhat libertarian – “The Voice of Reason” was his moniker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Smith_(radio_host)

On October 17, 2011, Smith announced on-air that he had "grade four pancreatic cancer that's metastasized to your liver, your abdominal cavity, the lungs and so on." On November 17, 2011, Smith announced on-air that "After consultation among all those involved, it was determined that additional chemotherapy was a futile way to go ... there isn't going to be any miracle. I'm okay with it."

On November 28, 2011, Smith announced his retirement from WBAL, citing his dependence on home hospice care. He died on December 19, 2011, aged 70.

Two months from diagnosis to death. I cried when I heard the news of his passing.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2020, 12:03:45 pm »
@Neverdul

If that is the same station Tom Marr was on, I have listened to him. Sorry to hear of his passing.

May he be resting in peace

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 06:14:50 pm »
@Neverdul

If that is the same station Tom Marr was on, I have listened to him. Sorry to hear of his passing.

May he be resting in peace

No. Tom Marr was on WCBM and Ron Smith was on WBAL. I used to sometimes listen to Marr but he never let a caller get a word in edgewise and would repeat himself ad museum. Ron would certainly cut off a caller if they were spouting nonsense however.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 03:10:40 am »
I only can imagine the shock, depression,  despair, anger, and million other emotions a person receiving this diagnosis experiences.  A fellow from our church died less than two months after his liver and pancreatic cancer diagnosis. Alex's sharing of his story may help others in the same boat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 10:09:50 pm »
Alex Trebek has heart, soul, and courage.

I still remember when Jeopardy! got its original reboot with him. I was sure nobody could host that show as deftly as its original host, Art Fleming. (I loved the show right out of the chute from 1964; so did my paternal grandfather, it was one of our bondings. If you haven't seen it, you should see Fleming's
final installment of the show's original run.)

Trebek proved me wrong almost right out of the chute. He still does. May the final Jeopardy! answer be, "He beat pancreatic cancer into submission as none before him," and the question be, "Who is Alex Trebek?"

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2020, 10:14:38 pm »
The sad thing is, Fleming also died from pancreatic cancer. What are the odds?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2020, 11:12:13 pm »
The sad thing is, Fleming also died from pancreatic cancer. What are the odds?
Can you say, a billion to one?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.