Author Topic: BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!  (Read 15969 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: BASEBALL 2020---LET'S GET IT ON!!
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2020, 12:30:47 am »
@EasyAce

Thanks a bunch for the reply/explanation.    :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2020, 12:32:47 am »
@EasyAce

Thanks a bunch for the reply/explanation.    :beer:
@DCPatriot

:beer:

By the way, Bob Gibson's death prompted me to examine a certain season in depth:

So what really made the Year of the Pitcher?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2020, 12:32:26 pm »
@DCPatriot

It's the "bubble" on behalf of COVID-19 safety protocols. MLB decided to use a) ballparks where there was less chance of outside interaction with teams, and b) neutral sites as another of Commissioner Nero's 2020 experiments, in addition to places where the weather's more amenable this time of year. The ALCS is also going to be played in Petco Park.

Though I also admit there's something particularly ticklish about the Athletics and the Astros playing the ALDS in Dodger Stadium, heh heh heh . . .

By the way, the Astros turned a 5-3 deficit and a two-out Oakland infield error in the sixth into a 10-5 Game One win this afternoon, but there's still time for the A's to . . .

I get the idea behind the bubble concept for this postseason, but I personally hope somebody pounds some sense back into Commissioner Nero and next season---assuming normalcy returning---the postseason gets played in the combatants' own ballparks. (I'd like to hope enough owners recover the brains they were born with and throw Commissioner Nero overboard, but that would be too much wishful thinking for now . . . )

It has taken away home field advantage, albeit without the crowds.

Astros bats kind of looked like...well, Astros bats, yesterday.
They also took advantage of a big error by the usually sure-handed A's Semien.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2020, 12:55:08 pm »

Astros bats kind of looked like...well, Astros bats, yesterday.
They also took advantage of a big error by the usually sure-handed A's Semien.
@GrouchoTex
I'm not sure what surprised me more---Semien's error (I got home from some errands just in time to turn the game as that error happened), or Alex Bregman's peculiar 5 October mojo. Four seasons, four 5 Octobers, four bombs. I know it's not his birthday, either.

Now, if the Astros start winning by 10-5 scores every 10/5 . . .
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:52:13 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2020, 01:27:13 pm »

Mostly, but the "home" team does still have the last AB.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2020, 03:03:06 pm »
Mostly, but the "home" team does still have the last AB.
@Polly Ticks

That they do, but some teams will be making re-adjustments mostly since---for example---the Yankees didn't play the Padres this season at all, never mind in Petco Park. (Though it didn't seem to affect them Monday night, clobbering the Rays 10-3.) Both the A's and the Astros played against the Dodgers in Dodger Stadium on the irregular season, so Dodger Stadium isn't exactly a re-adjustment for them. (Though after the Astros won Monday, Dusty Baker---now managing the Astros, but who once played eight MLB seasons with the Dodgers---observed, "I've never seen the ball fly out of here like that before.")

The Braves and the Marlins are playing their division series in . . . Minute Maid Park in Houston. Go figure. And neither the Braves nor the Fish played against the Astros at all this year, never mind in Minute Maid. The Padres and the Dodgers playing their division series in the Texas Rangers' new airplane-hangar-roof building? The Dodgers did play the Rangers in one set this season---in Arlington, and beat them two out of three. The Padres played four against the Rangers this year---two in Arlington, two in San Diego---and they won all four games.

So for adjusting to parks not their usual home-or-road grounds, it looks like the Astros and the A's have a little comfort zone on this year's terms, while the Dodgers and the Padres seem to have an even-up beginning ahead of them, and the Yankees seem to know how to make themselves at home wherever they play. Only the beginning, though.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »
@GrouchoTex
I'm not sure what surprised me more---Semien's error (I got home from some errands just in time to turn the game as that error happened), or Alex Bregman's peculiar 5 October mojo. Four seasons, four 5 Octobers, four bombs. I know it's not his birthday, either.

Now, if the Astros start winning by 10-5 scores every 10/5 . . .

@EasyAce

In Rod Serling's voice

Submit for your approval, a man walks into an empty ballpark somewhere in time, with neatly arranged cardboard facsimiles of yesterday's fans. reminiscing of days of yore, with a hint of fall just around the corner.

The date, October 5th.

As the Umpire yells out the familiar refrain, "Play Ball!!!"....

.....You are about to enter the Twilight Zone...

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2020, 04:28:07 pm »
@EasyAce

In Rod Serling's voice

Submit for your approval, a man walks into an empty ballpark somewhere in time, with neatly arranged cardboard facsimiles of yesterday's fans. reminiscing of days of yore, with a hint of fall just around the corner.

The date, October 5th.

As the Umpire yells out the familiar refrain, "Play Ball!!!"....

.....You are about to enter the Twilight Zone...

I've blown off the game, but a certain enjoyable Schendfruede will be extracted if Houston wins the trophy this year.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2020, 04:30:38 pm »
I've blown off the game, but a certain enjoyable Schendfruede will be extracted if Houston wins the trophy this year.

Gotta agree.
The reaction was so overblown that you'd think it is 2020 or something.

....Oh, wait!

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2020, 04:51:11 pm »
@catfish1957
The schadenfreude for which I'd hoped is now denied.

I'd hoped against hope that, somehow, some way, the 29-31 Astros would push their way to the World Series meeting the 29-31 Brewers pushing their way to the Series, too. Unfortunately, the Brewers couldn't stand up to the Dodgers.

Now, why would I have wanted a World Series pitting losers against losers? Easy: to see the omelettes on Commissioner Nero's face after his apparently lusted-for permanent sixteen-team postseason managed to burp up the very sight of loser versus loser in the Series, the very antithesis of championship play.

So thanks for spoiling that idea, Dodgers.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2020, 05:23:33 pm »
@catfish1957
The schadenfreude for which I'd hoped is now denied.

I'd hoped against hope that, somehow, some way, the 29-31 Astros would push their way to the World Series meeting the 29-31 Brewers pushing their way to the Series, too. Unfortunately, the Brewers couldn't stand up to the Dodgers.

Now, why would I have wanted a World Series pitting losers against losers? Easy: to see the omelettes on Commissioner Nero's face after his apparently lusted-for permanent sixteen-team postseason managed to burp up the very sight of loser versus loser in the Series, the very antithesis of championship play.

So thanks for spoiling that idea, Dodgers.

So, it turns out forcing the National League to adopt the DH wasn't the worst shiny new idea?   Now we have the ALDS being played in a NL park.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2020, 05:51:35 pm »
So, it turns out forcing the National League to adopt the DH wasn't the worst shiny new idea?   Now we have the ALDS being played in a NL park.
@Cyber Liberty

We also have an NLDS being played in an American League hangar.  wink777

As for the universal DH---it was a) originally the brainchild of a National League owner; and, b) an idea too long overdue. ICYMI:

Let it stay. Permanently.
By Yours Truly
22 June 2020
https://throneberryfields.com/2020/06/22/let-it-stay-permanently/

I get the impression that the only baseball debates more bristling than those over the owners vs. the players in the current pandemic impasse are those bristling over the universal designated hitter that’ll be put in place for this year (if there is a this year) and next year at minimum. OK, you asked for it: Let the universal DH stay forever.

That’s my call and I’m sticking to it. And you’re dealing with a guy who would sooner have tried to pass the camel through the needle’s eye than insist the National League give up the ghost—and, by the way, the futility of 99.99 percent of those pitchers who bat in the number nine hole—and accept the DH.

I insisted on that refusal until some time between 2018 and 2019. Because reality has a way of knocking you down faster than any hitter ever got knocked down by Bob Gibson after hitting one out off the Hall of Famer. Sure as hell faster than it took (age 42 years, 349 days) for Bartolo Colon
to hit the only home run of his major league life.

In my case, reality only begins with making note that, in 2019, major league pitchers posted a wonderful .128/.159/.163 slash line. (Batting average, on-base percentage, slugging percentage.)

Which was a mild improvement over 2018’s .115/.144/.149. Yep, last year’s balls might have been juiced, after all. Oho, but what about the eight seasons prior to that? What about them? Very well, as the man said on television once upon a time, you asked for it:

2017—.124/.156/.161.
2016—.132/.164/.171.
2015—.132/.160/.170.
2014—.122/.153/.152.
2013—.132/.164/.169.
2012—.129/.162/.166.
2011—.141/.174/.182.
2010—.141/.175/.174.

The slash line for pitchers at the plate all decade long? .130/.161/.165.

Now tell me how nuts Thomas Boswell was to write a year and a half ago:

It’s fun to see Max Scherzer slap a single to right field and run it out like he thinks he’s Ty Cobb. But I’ll sacrifice that pleasure to get rid of the thousands of rallies I’ve seen killed when an inning ends with one pitcher working around a competent No. 8 hitter so he can then strike out the other pitcher. When you get in a jam in the AL, you must pitch your way out of it, not ‘pitch around’ your way out of it.

Tell me, too, how nuts an old magazine known as Sporting Life was to write thus:

Every patron of the game is conversant with the utter worthlessness of the average pitcher when he goes up to try and hit the ball. It is most invariably a trial, and an unsuccessful one at that. If fortune does favor him with a base hit it is ten to one that he is so winded in getting to first or second base on it that when he goes into the box it is a matter of very little difficulty to pound him all over creation.

That was written in . . . 1891. The year in which then-Pittsburgh Pirates owner William Chase Temple first proposed leaving pitchers to pitching strictly and having someone else who isn’t a pitcher bat in the lineup in his place.

The following year, after the collapse of the ancient American Association sent four teams into the National League, Temple’s fellow owners missed implementing the DH by four votes. According to Temple himself, the somewhat mythological Chris von der Ahe, owner of the former A.A. St. Louis Browns (I am der Boss Pressident of der Prowns) let him down by voting against it.

The DH didn’t cross the mind of any American League owner, apparently, until 1906, when Connie Mack got fed up with his pitchers swinging at the plate as though their bats were made of papier mache. (The 1906 Philadelphia Athletics’ main pitchers hit for a collective .201 that year. Don’t even think about it: in the dead ball era pitching wasn’t quite as tough or hard as it became much later.)

The Tall Tactician’s proposal didn’t go anywhere. Neither did a 1928 proposal to introduce the DH—by National League president John Heydler—that the American League rejected. Not until several minor leagues including the AAA-level International League adopted the DH in the 1960s did the idea get traction again, and then because maybe the single most despised owner in baseball at the time took it up.

Charlie Finley noticed the DH’s staying power in the minors. He also noticed two more things in 1972: 1) The National League out-drew the American League when the AL’s run production shrank. 2) His Oakland A’s pitchers couldn’t hit if you set the balls up for them on tees: their slash line was .165/.198/.203. (The very outlying exception: relief pitcher Rollie Fingers. His 1972 slash line: .316/.316/.474.) The American League’s pitchers overall in 1972: .145/.184/.182.

That’s when the American League—with commissioner Bowie Kuhn, who usually took anything Finley said as a declaration of war, giving his blessing—turned to the DH. (Year One A.D.H., aka 1973: the American League out-hit the National League.) The National League took it up again in 1980 and 1982 and it lost.

Without the DH, but with the remaining cop-out of pitching around the number eight hitter to strike out the opposing pitcher, Boswell wrote, “some weaker pitchers survive in the NL. But survival-of-the-unfittest isn’t good for the evolution of a league. Over time, high-quality hitters migrate to the AL, where they can have longer, richer careers by finishing as a DH. That is the main reason the AL has dominated interleague play in this century.”

Actually, from before this century. Since regular-season interleague play emerged in 1997, the American League has a .522 winning percentage. (3,166-2,898; or, the AL has won 268 more games.) And only in five seasons has the National League won more interleague games than the American League. Sure, they did it last year and the year before, but that snapped a fourteen-season American League winning streak.

I don’t like a lot of the possible temporary 2020-2021 rules proposed for the Show’s return. Especially the idea of starting extra innings with each team getting a man on second to open the tenth inning.

I’m not as wild about the three-batter minimum for pitchers as I thought I might be. I don’t like the pack of television commercials for each pitching change, either. I’m also tired of things like that reviving meaningless and usually mal-informed debates about the death of the complete game, too.

(News flash: Complete games began dying off after the dead ball era ended. Damn right you can look it up. And thank God for it, unless you love the idea of ruining arms prematurely and ignoring the concept that pitchers like Warren Spahn and Nolan Ryan were and remain anomalies. Or, that Robin Roberts was so worn down from his passel of early ’50s complete games and 300+ innings seasons he had to remake himself as a junkballer to stay in the Show as long as he did. I love complete games, too—but I’d rather see pitchers have longer, more productive, less injurious careers.)

But you know what I like even less?

1) I don’t like managers and coaches paying so little attention to warmup activity in the bullpen (more than you think don’t) that they don’t realise the guy they’re about to bring in might have thrown the equivalent of a quality start’s worth of pitches before he got into the game, with about a better than 50 percent chance of being gassed—and battered—going in.

(And if he’s been throwing that much in the pen before coming in, why the hell are we still letting him throw eight more pitches on the game mound before facing his first hitter?)

2) I don’t like the thought of some poor soul—who may or may not have been overworked in the pen before coming in in the first place—coming in with less than his best stuff and getting killed to death because his skipper can’t lift him until he’s faced three batters minimum.

But I like the idea that a National League lineup spot won’t be wasted anymore by the single most automatic out in baseball. I like the idea that National League managers might come to enjoy having, among other things, the option American League managers have: you could, in theory, use that number nine hole for either an extra cleanup-type or an extra leadoff-type. Quite a few teams have.

From 2010-2019 the Show’s pitchers averaged 5,492 plate appearances a year and, for those who insist it’s worth the wait to see a pitcher hit one over the fence, 23 home runs a year. One bomb per 239 plate appearances. If you watched a team’s regular lineup hit one homer per 239 plate appearances on a season, you’d call it the Second Dead Ball Era. Oh, funsie.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2020, 11:06:51 am »
When I was a young lad, living in Western New York State there were EIGHT teams in the MLB.

Being educated by the Sisters of Mercy, it was natural to cheer for the Underdogs, which at that time was whoever faced off against the Yankees in the World Series....mainly the Brooklyn Dodgers or the Milwaukee Braves.

Roy Campanella, Pee Wee Reese, Junior Gilliam, Duke Snider, Sandy Koufax and Johnny Podres.

Seems the baseball media executives are pining for another Yankee-Dodger World Series today.

...it looks like Tampa Bay is not listening at all.    happy77 

@EasyAce   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2020, 04:35:16 pm »
When I was a young lad, living in Western New York State there were EIGHT teams in the MLB.

Being educated by the Sisters of Mercy, it was natural to cheer for the Underdogs, which at that time was whoever faced off against the Yankees in the World Series....mainly the Brooklyn Dodgers or the Milwaukee Braves.
@DCPatriot
You forgot about the telescopically cheating '51 Giants (The Giants stole the pennant! The Giants stole the pennant!) getting to face the Yankees and lose in six.

Seems the baseball media executives are pining for another Yankee-Dodger World Series today.

...it looks like Tampa Bay is not listening at all.    happy77 

@EasyAce
Just think---A year ago, Randy Arozarena was the culprit who captured his St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Schildt's profane stomp all over the Atlanta Braves his guys just beat in a division series and posted it to Instagram. Arozarena couldn't pull it down fast enough when it went viral fast but the damage was done---Schildt made his team look like sore winners. At least until they got destroyed by the Washington Nationals in the NLCS. Don't think that didn't factor even a little in when the Cardinals included him in a January swap with the Rays.

That was then, this is now, and Arozarena is rather happily spending this postseason resembling some strange visitor from another planet with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, heh heh heh.

As Casey Stengel might say, "As for them fellas in the Bronx, a few of them are dead at the present time." Trying a bullpen game against the team that resurrected the bullpen game idea (get it straight, folks, it wasn't the Rays' invention, it was invented 96 years ago for Game Seven of the World Series---a kid playing for and managing the Washington Senators came up with that one and won a Series with it) only works when you know what you're doing with it, and the Yankees in Game Two didn't know what they were doing with it. They've outsmarted themselves into announcing they'll start Jordan Montgomery today, but they just might bring back Gerrit Cole on short rest---which might buy them one more game, but would also mean they can't go to Cole in a Gamer Five if they're lucky enough to get one.

Things look rather splendid for the Rays today, no?

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2020, 05:16:00 pm »
The incredibly weird part of this incredibly weird-to-begin-with postseason:

Since when did Dodger Stadium become such a home run paradise?

This is now: Playing their ALDS there by pandemic-safety neutral-site mandate, the Houston Astros and the Oakland Athletics have now hit eighteen home runs between them in the first three games playing their entire set in Dodger Stadium.

That was then:

* The Dodgers led the entire show in home runs this year.

* The 1988 Dodgers---their last World Series champions---didn't hit 100 home runs all year . . . but if the Astros and the A's were to play all the rest of the scheduled postseason, the eighteen bombs between them thus far would pan out to 100 in less than a month.

* Only three times in the entire 58-year history of Dodger Stadium have there been stretches of teams combining to hit five or more homers a game in that park before now: all in 2017, also in three games---eight homers (four each) between the Reds and the Dodgers (11 June), eight (also four each) between the Mets and the Dodgers (19 June), and five (by the Dodgers against the Mets, 20 June). This is the first time it's happened in the joint while the Dodgers were on the road. (They're playing their division series against the San Diego Padres in Arlington, Texas's new airplane hangar of a Globe Life Park.)

* Postseason ball's been played in the past in these three hitter's havens: Atlanta Fulton County Stadium, Coors Canaveral, and Wrigley Field. Want to know how often five or more bombs in three straight postseason games were ever hit in those bat caves? You guessed it---zero.

* In 116 years of postseason major league baseball, the Astros and the A's have done what's never been done before---not even by such powerhouses as the ancient imperial Yankees, Connie Mack's second Philadelphia Athletics dynasty, the "Boys of Summer" Brooklyn Dodgers, or even Harvey's Wallbangers from Milwaukee in 1982:

Nobody's hit five plus or more home runs per game in any three-game postseason stretch until now. Ever.

The foregoing are just more reasons to appreciate Hall of Fame writer Jayson Stark and the fine folks at STATS, Inc, who delivered such information to me this morning.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:16:51 pm by EasyAce »

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2020, 07:06:40 pm »
@DCPatriot

In case you wondered about this postseason's running of the bulls, here are the bullpen ERA thus far in the postseason:

Atlanta Braves--0.52
Los Angeles Dodgers---1.29
San Diego Padres---2.90
Miami Marlins---3.18
Houston Astros---3.86
Tampa Bay Rays---3.93
Oakland Athletics---3.99
Empire Emeritus---5.32

About ten minutes after I posted that list, the Braves jumped the Marlins for four in the top of the third . . .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 07:10:05 pm by EasyAce »

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2020, 07:09:38 pm »
@DCPatriot

In case you wondered about this postseason's running of the bulls, here are the bullpen ERA thus far in the postseason:

Atlanta Braves--0.52
Los Angeles Dodgers---1.29
San Diego Padres---2.90
Miami Marlins---3.18
Houston Astros---3.86
Tampa Bay Rays---3.93
Oakland Athletics---3.99
Empire Emeritus---5.32

I'm not mad about our starting pitchers' performances so far, either.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2020, 07:11:03 pm »

I'm not mad about our starting pitchers' performances so far, either.
@Polly Ticks

You shouldn't be. When the whole staff is combining for three shutouts in their first four postseason games, you should be busting out the champagne.

And they could do it again today. 4-0 Braves after two and a half . . .

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2020, 08:55:14 pm »

You forgot about the telescopically cheating '51 Giants (The Giants stole the pennant! The Giants stole the pennant!) getting to face the Yankees and lose in six.

@EasyAce

LOL!  Yeah...that one got by me.  I was 5 years old at that time.    :laugh:

PS:  side note....  Warren Spahn's dad was my baseball coach in my 1st organized little league... the PAL (Police Athletic League)

You could see right away, who gave Warren his nose.    happy77
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:58:01 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2020, 09:32:14 pm »
I have the game on the radio and on MLB gameday (I am at work), Astro's- A's.
Bottom of 5th
5 home runs so far:
Astro's Brantley 2, Correa 1
A's: Laureano 2

Crazy, 1/2 of a game left.
6-4 Astro's right now.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2020, 11:25:10 pm »
I have the game on the radio and on MLB gameday (I am at work), Astro's- A's.
Bottom of 5th
5 home runs so far:
Astro's Brantley 2, Correa 1
A's: Laureano 2

Crazy, 1/2 of a game left.
6-4 Astro's right now.

11-9 Astros, your final from Dodger Stadium.

And the two teams set an ALDS record for most home runs in a division series---with 24.

So, will the Astros get the Rays or the Empire Emeritus in the ALCS? They're scoreless after one full inning . . .

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2020, 11:26:10 pm »
@EasyAce

LOL!  Yeah...that one got by me.  I was 5 years old at that time.    :laugh:

PS:  side note....  Warren Spahn's dad was my baseball coach in my 1st organized little league... the PAL (Police Athletic League)

You could see right away, who gave Warren his nose.    happy77
@DCPatriot
I just wonder who gave the Big Beak that near-impossible high leg kick, maybe the highest in the league before Juan Marichal arrived.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2020, 11:54:26 pm »
@DCPatriot
I just wonder who gave the Big Beak that near-impossible high leg kick, maybe the highest in the league before Juan Marichal arrived.

@EasyAce

LOL!  I remember that like it was last week.

Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette...and that single solitary camera in the upper deck right behind home plate...no instant replay.  In B&W.   

Yet, we ran straight home from school to catch the games...always played in daylight.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2020, 12:34:09 am »
@EasyAce

LOL!  I remember that like it was last week.

Warren Spahn and Lew Burdette...and that single solitary camera in the upper deck right behind home plate...no instant replay.  In B&W.   
@DCPatriot
When I started watching baseball seriously as a kid in New York/Long Island, the Mets were newborn. Their games were carried on New York WOR-TV. And from the outset, they had the center field-based camera and a camera based behind the plate plus they were giving you videotape replays on close plays or long home runs. (What a treat, even as a kid Met fan, seeing the replays of Lou Brock and Henry Aaron hitting homers to the deepest part of the Polo Grounds---the center field bleachers 468 feet from home plate---in back-to-back games!) Looking back, in 1962 that was pretty remarkable.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2020, 03:01:46 am »
WOW!!  Hot Dayum!

THAT was a Classic AB vs. Chapman by Brosseau in the bottom 8th.

"Eff the Yankees!!"    :tongue2:

Like Harold Reynolds said to Brosseau postgame..."You're a better man than me!  After seeing that 100 mph throw at my head, I'd be 'seeing' that pitch forever!!"

:2popcorn: