Author Topic: Faulty Equipment, Lapsed Training, Repeated Warnings: How a Preventable Disaster Killed Six Marines  (Read 974 times)

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Marine commanders did not act on dozens of pleas for additional manpower, machinery and time. When a training exercise ended in death, leadership blamed the very men they had neglected.

by Robert Faturechi, Megan Rose and T. Christian Miller Dec. 30, 5 a.m. EST

https://www.propublica.org/article/marines-hornet-squadron-242-crash-pacific-resilard

------------------------------------------------------------

This is a long and detailed look at a very disturbing matter related to Marine Aviation. The Squadron Commander contributed to it, which gives it credibility, in my eyes. If you can't plow through it all, do at least watch the 17 minute video that is embedded.

My Congressman is getting a visit when I can catch him in his local office.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 02:14:34 pm by don-o »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
I posted this topic in hopes of bringing a bit of reality. Support for our military requires more than platitudes. And this matter is one of which I have some degree of knowledge from the fact that my son tells me things. To be clear, the things he tells me are always within bounds of OPSEC.

The Marine ethos of "adapt, improvise and overcome" does work, to an extent, at the micro level. This article clearly shows that applying this mindset indiscriminately can lead to disaster.

There are too many "worst things" uncovered to discuss them all. They all bring me a sense of worry followed by anger. B, almost but I'll pick out the shoddy and CYA investigation. "Who guards the guardians?"Thankfully, the squadron commander decided against suicide to call attention to the truth and chose to come forward with it. His direct participation in the article (including going on camera) is powerful and a clear warning that there is a massive problem going unaddressed by many in vital positions of responsibility.

It does seem that additional investigation is proceeding. That will be a matter I will discuss with my Congressman. And I have encouraged my son to "keep his head on a swivel" regarding everything he is being tasked with.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Schoolfield cited “excessive alcohol consumption,” issues with drugs and adultery. The squadron’s use of “sexually explicit call signs” was typical of the debauched environment, Schoolfield asserted.

They needed someone willing to smack the knuckles of the brass,and got a sexually-repressed school marm looking to kiss his superiors asses to further his own career.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
They needed someone willing to smack the knuckles of the brass,and got a sexually-repressed school marm looking to kiss his superiors asses to further his own career.
@sneakypete You're a vet, right? Your further comments are requested. There is a lot to digest here In case, you do not know, my son is assigned to VMA-542 out of Cherry Point. He flies Harriers

Offline jpsb

After reading about the two destroyers that hit two merchant ships (merchant ships are lite up like Christmas trees at night) I have lost all faith in US Navy leadership. Sounds like the Marine Aviation in the Pacific have the same "leadership" issues as the Pacific Surface fleet.

Propublica should be commented for reporting this.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete You're a vet, right? Your further comments are requested. There is a lot to digest here .

@don-o

Yes,but I am an army grunt vet. What little I know about the Navy and USMC I learned growing up in Virginia Beach,Va,and hearing it from the kids of sailors and marines I went to school with. I know NOTHING about Marine Aviation specifically.

I DO know the USMC is the US Navy's hated bastard child,and they try to screw the Marines at every available opportunity. If it ain't about funding fleets so Admirals have big boats to float around on,the Navy just ain't interested,and they seem to resent every nickel they have to give to the Neanderthal Gun Toters.

From what I have seen in what little joint mission training or operations I was involved in,the USMC was under-trained and under-equipped. They were more than willing,they were enthusiastic,but they just lacked the training and the tools they needed.

Also,there seems to be some basic requirement that senior USMC Generals have their heads up their asses,and hate the enlisted swine they command. Probably because that is the only type the Navy thinks is fit to wear a star.

We actually had a A-camp overran in VN because the USMC General in charge of Marines in I-Corps refused to send Marines to the camp as a relief force because "it's not worth risking the lives of Marines to protect green beanies and the primitives they live with". That is NOT a direct quote,but it comes close.

Why that Marine General hated SF is being the arrogant shithead he was,he looked around when he first took command as the USMC Corps commander,and decided that the first thing he needed to do was close down all those A-Camps,and use the Green Berets as recon teams to serve under his command. The senior SF officer in I-Corps (a LTC) basically told him to go piss up a rope,and walked away,and there wasn't a damn thing that arrogant ass could do about it. He couldn't believe a mere LTC could get away with refusing his orders,and took it up with General Abrams in Saigon,and Abrams told him he had no authority to command the SF troops in A Corps or anywhere else to do anything because they had their own missions to run,and he  should know that because he had been briefed on it before he even took command.

The asshat even refused orders from MACV headquarters in Saigon to send a relief force,and Westmoreland had to fly to DaNang in person the next morning to relieve him of his command and name his XO the new USMC Corps Commander. Of course,the A Camp had already been overran,some of the SF people and MANY of the native peoples in the camp killed by the NVA long before the USMC relief column got there. The only outside help they got was from a SOG recon team out of DaNang that had been monitoring the radio calls all night decided to get on a Kingbee SVN helicopter and fly there at dawn to see what they could do. They ended up rescuing several of the SF guys still holed up in bunkers the NVA weren't able to blow up,but that's about it. IIRC,there were,and may still be, 2 SF MIA's from that camp that nobody knows what happened to them.

I will say this,though. Most of the Marines I have had personal dealings with in training missions have been the Force Recon guys,and there is not a loser in the bunch. VERY bright guys who are highly motivated to do the best job they can do. Never met a single one I would hesitate to go on a mission with. First class warriors in every respect,from Company grade officers down to the lowest ranked enlisted. I suspect the same can be said for the field grade officers in their command structure,but I never met any of them.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 07:44:28 pm by sneakypete »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98

Propublica should be commented for reporting this.

I would have never seen it except that mys on sent it to me.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
@don-o

Yes,but I am an army grunt vet. What little I know about the Navy and USMC I learned growing up in Virginia Beach,Va,and hearing it from the kids of sailors and marines I went to school with. I know NOTHING about Marine Aviation specifically.

Regardless of that, you confirm my suspicion of the automatic and irresistible impulse to divert the shit-flow downhill. Thanks.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Regardless of that, you confirm my suspicion of the automatic and irresistible impulse to divert the shit-flow downhill. Thanks.

@don-o

That is something that I suspect is universal amongst each branch. People in the military don't get stars by accepting blame. They get them by blaming their mistakes on someone else.

Offline EdinVA

We always had F-4's and F-111's that would not fly for one reason or another, so they were parked off to the side and cannibalized for functioning  parts to keep other planes flying while we waited for back ordered parts to arrive in country.  When I was at large bases (140+ fighters), this was not a big problem but in SEA we had smaller units and it made it really difficult to keep things moving.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
We always had F-4's and F-111's that would not fly for one reason or another, so they were parked off to the side and cannibalized for functioning  parts to keep other planes flying while we waited for back ordered parts to arrive in country.  When I was at large bases (140+ fighters), this was not a big problem but in SEA we had smaller units and it made it really difficult to keep things moving.

Last training deployment / exercise my son was on, they took only their "best jets". They ended up having to fly in a whole engine when one of them broke

Offline EdinVA

Last training deployment / exercise my son was on, they took only their "best jets". They ended up having to fly in a whole engine when one of them broke
@don-o
While I was in New Mexico we had dual theater commitments, SEA and Europe. 

Twice a year we would scramble and take 60 fighters, people, equipment and a couple of dozen spare fighters for the flight from NM to Germany for 30 days.
Good thing we had spare fighters... :)

Online SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
FTA: The mindset becomes, ‘Higher HQ wants this to happen; therefore, we’ll find a way to make it happen.’

Sadly, the USN and USMC don't have a monopoly on this. Saw and "lived through" plenty of it in my 20 years in the USAF.

Upper ranks want what they want, when they want it. How they get what they want is, for the most part, irrelevant to them. As long as the stat is achieved and they can claim credit for it on their performance report.

"Leadership" puts people in untenable situations by demanding aircraft be prepared in a short amount of time, yet at the same time fully comply with technical data, which is time consuming. Calling BS on such demands would net counseling and a negative rating on a performance report, regardless of "leadership" claiming that "anyone can call knock it off anytime without retribution".

Since the Clinton era, "do more with less" has been the overarching issue within military aviation. Having dedicated cann jets to keep others flying is now basically the norm since spare parts are typically hard to get. Multi-tasking people and assigning additional duties is also normal, increasing their workloads, decreasing their skills and creating a stressful situation of hopelessness.

I was at Shaw AFB, SC in the early 90s during the post DS/DS, Cold War draw-down, when 100's of thousands of skilled service members were separating. We were down to approx. 50% manning on the flightline, yet the Ops tempo did not slow. We were required to continue flying the same number of training sorties, work "safely", comply with tech data, comply with inane training and perform combat exercises, all while keeping the aircraft "safely" maintained. I was one of two fully qualified jet engine mechanics in our squadron. Not only was I tasked with cross training others to engines; I was assigned an aircraft as a Crew Chief, had to perform numerous engine runs, blend fan blades, borescope engines, inspect engines prior to and after installation, etc. and still find time to maintain "my aircraft". I didn't have a weekend off for almost 2 years. I could get a day off here or there, but taking leave was impossible due to my skill set.

Well, things didn't quite work out the way "leadership" wanted. We lost a few aircraft, some to pilot error, others to maintenance. Yet, after the AIB and SIB left, things settled right back to what they were before.

I haven't seen where things have gotten much better, people have just adapted to what is their "normal".

RIP to USMC aviators and sympathies to their families.

Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
FTA: The mindset becomes, ‘Higher HQ wants this to happen; therefore, we’ll find a way to make it happen.’

Sadly, the USN and USMC don't have a monopoly on this. Saw and "lived through" plenty of it in my 20 years in the USAF.

Upper ranks want what they want, when they want it. How they get what they want is, for the most part, irrelevant to them. As long as the stat is achieved and they can claim credit for it on their performance report.

"Leadership" puts people in untenable situations by demanding aircraft be prepared in a short amount of time, yet at the same time fully comply with technical data, which is time consuming. Calling BS on such demands would net counseling and a negative rating on a performance report, regardless of "leadership" claiming that "anyone can call knock it off anytime without retribution".

Since the Clinton era, "do more with less" has been the overarching issue within military aviation. Having dedicated cann jets to keep others flying is now basically the norm since spare parts are typically hard to get. Multi-tasking people and assigning additional duties is also normal, increasing their workloads, decreasing their skills and creating a stressful situation of hopelessness.

I was at Shaw AFB, SC in the early 90s during the post DS/DS, Cold War draw-down, when 100's of thousands of skilled service members were separating. We were down to approx. 50% manning on the flightline, yet the Ops tempo did not slow. We were required to continue flying the same number of training sorties, work "safely", comply with tech data, comply with inane training and perform combat exercises, all while keeping the aircraft "safely" maintained. I was one of two fully qualified jet engine mechanics in our squadron. Not only was I tasked with cross training others to engines; I was assigned an aircraft as a Crew Chief, had to perform numerous engine runs, blend fan blades, borescope engines, inspect engines prior to and after installation, etc. and still find time to maintain "my aircraft". I didn't have a weekend off for almost 2 years. I could get a day off here or there, but taking leave was impossible due to my skill set.

Well, things didn't quite work out the way "leadership" wanted. We lost a few aircraft, some to pilot error, others to maintenance. Yet, after the AIB and SIB left, things settled right back to what they were before.

I haven't seen where things have gotten much better, people have just adapted to what is their "normal".

RIP to USMC aviators and sympathies to their families.

@SZonian

It's enough to make you wonder about how corporate CEO's can be held legally responsible for the wrongs THEIR organizations do,yet the military version of CEO's goes blame free because they are allowed to pass the blame down the ladder.

How can this be possible in any rational world? Corporate CEO's are only responsible for profits. Military "CEO's" are responsible for the safety of the nation. Shouldn't THEY be held to the same standards as corporate CEO's,at a MINIMUM?

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
Admitting that I can be very naive, I had hopes that Mattis could and would do some good in weeding out non-hackers. Whatever it was that drove him out, I wish he could have swallowed it for the greater good he could have done.

Offline EdinVA

@SZonian

It's enough to make you wonder about how corporate CEO's can be held legally responsible for the wrongs THEIR organizations do,yet the military version of CEO's goes blame free because they are allowed to pass the blame down the ladder.

How can this be possible in any rational world? Corporate CEO's are only responsible for profits. Military "CEO's" are responsible for the safety of the nation. Shouldn't THEY be held to the same standards as corporate CEO's,at a MINIMUM?
@sneakypete
It is not really the CEO's, it is our idiotic procurement rules/laws.
Even tho the govenment pays for the design of the aircraft, the gov does not own the rights to the plans/specs, they are retained by the contractor.

The "buy" contract is for x number of planes and y spare parts.  Once that contract is fulfilled, it is no longer in force so no further purchase of parts etc can be made without another full fledged procurement effort.  So once the contracted spare parts are used up, that is pretty much it.
We cannot, for example, just fire up the A-10 or F-18 production with upgrades because it would end up being a "sole source" contract and every other manufacturer would raise hell.
It is an absolute mess that is costing us lives and  hundreds of billions of dollars..

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Admitting that I can be very naive, I had hopes that Mattis could and would do some good in weeding out non-hackers. Whatever it was that drove him out, I wish he could have swallowed it for the greater good he could have done.

@don-o

It takes what is called a "Maverick General" like Patton to do something like that,and there just isn't ANY place for a "Maverick Captain" in today's US military,never mind a General officer. Any officer that even indicates he or she MIGHT make waves in the future will never get past the 0-3 level. It's all about "wear red and march in a straight line" today. Has to be that way so the senior Generals and Admirals on duty today can be sure there will be "star slots" open to their children 20 years from now.

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
@don-o

Any officer that even indicates he or she MIGHT make waves in the future will never get past the 0-3 level.
@sneakypete Mine is O-3. He has no ambition for rank. He just lwnts to fly. I want to think he will stand tall when the occasion demands.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
It is not really the CEO's, it is our idiotic procurement rules/laws.
Even tho the govenment pays for the design of the aircraft, the gov does not own the rights to the plans/specs, they are retained by the contractor.

The "buy" contract is for x number of planes and y spare parts.  Once that contract is fulfilled, it is no longer in force so no further purchase of parts etc can be made without another full fledged procurement effort.  So once the contracted spare parts are used up, that is pretty much it.
We cannot, for example, just fire up the A-10 or F-18 production with upgrades because it would end up being a "sole source" contract and every other manufacturer would raise hell.
It is an absolute mess that is costing us lives and  hundreds of billions of dollars..

@EdinVA

Very true,but the goobermint is the "800 lb gorilla in this "monkey match". There is NOTHING preventing them from insisting when they buy the aircraft/tank/ship/whatever,that the blueprints and other design elements are a part of the initial contract. To please the manufacturer,we can include a contract stipulating that THEY get "first refusal" when we need to send out a contract for replacement parts,with the freedom to seek manufacturing elsewhere if they try to stick us.

Who else are Lockheed and the others going to sell those parts and machines to?  The way this thing works is they only exist as aircraft manufacturers because we buy their products. If we stop,they are out of business. If necessary,it can go to court and have an outside arbitrator determine what is fair.

The way the system is set up now,the suppliers virtually own the buyers,thanks to kickback deals to tame congressmen and Senators with defense manufacturers in their districts getting their slice of the pie by guaranteeing they get the contracts.

People need to understand that the money supply is NOT infinite. Sure,the things we are buying are "special purchase with a limited market",so the price will be higher than normal. This doesn't mean that Uncle Sugar is REQUIRED to pay them anything they want.

This is especially true in a world where we are basically the only Super Power left and the threat of an actual world war breaking out is just about nil.

ANY business deal has to benefit both parties to be fair,and if one aircraft manufacturer won't be agreeable,another will.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:37:53 pm by sneakypete »

Offline don-o

• Worldview Moderator
  • FR Class of '98
@don-o

That means he is at about the top of his game when it comes to flying fighter-bombers. To get field grade,he is going to have to go into management,or start flying the "heavies",and we all know there is no fun in being a bus driver.

Which is of course a major factor in pilot retention. He was 4.5 years from commissioning to Captain and one more year to get to the fleet. God knows how many millions invested in his training. I'm pretty sure if he's confronted with flying a desk, he will pull the cord. Why can't someone look at a little ROI?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Which is of course a major factor in pilot retention. He was 4.5 years from commissioning to Captain and one more year to get to the fleet. God knows how many millions invested in his training. I'm pretty sure if he's confronted with flying a desk, he will pull the cord. Why can't someone look at a little ROI?

@don-o

Well,there is nothing wrong with flying the "heavies". It's just that flying them is about as dangerous a job as you can find,and it's not sexy. It's the fighter pilots that get all the glory,and the heavies that do the "real work".

Ever stood alongside a runway as a flight of B-52's were taking off while heavily loaded for a bombing mission? Clearly,one of the most awesome and scary things I have ever seen. For one thing,the noise is so freaking loud you can FEEL it. For another,the damn wings actually flap up and down as the plane gains speed and hits minor bumps. Even with all those jet engines running,it really looks like they are going to run out of runway before they ever get enough lift to leave the ground.

I have never been inside a B-52,but they HAVE to have the best noise insulation in the world. We are taking "noise that is painful and almost makes your ears bleed" at 50-75 feet away,when you are standing out in the open. I can't even begin to imagine the decibel level inside one of those things.

Or he could possibly step up to flying a C-5 or a C-130. He already knows how to fly,so learning how to fly a multi-engine aircraft can't be that hard to learn. Sure,it's not as "hot shot sexy" as being a fighter-bomber pilot,but the groceries,water,boots,bombs,armored cars,tanks,and other essentials HAVE to be delivered by somebody. Lives depend on it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
It is just another expression of our competency problem.

A generation that thinks apps can do everything, can't complete chho chhos inCalifornia, can't keep electric lines from starting forest fires, can't figure out what to do with drug addicts shitting on the sidewalksd, think boys can be girls, and think that only Denmark represents socialism, but not N.Korea, Cuba, Venezuela.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jpsb

@don-o

That means he is at about the top of his game when it comes to flying fighter-bombers. To get field grade,he is going to have to go into management,or start flying the "heavies",and we all know there is no fun in being a bus driver.

There are a lot of fighter pilots that are field grade (04 -06) officers.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There are a lot of fighter pilots that are field grade (04 -06) officers.

@jpsb

They are all squadron commanders,and do very little flying because the administrative workload takes up most of their time. Also,the competition for those few slots is VERY fierce,with most of the jobs going to the USAF Academy graduates and their legacies. The "good old boy network" does an outstanding job of protecting their own. IF there is any competition at all for those rare spots,it is amongst the ring-knockers and dependent on who has the most senior rabbi.

rangerrebew

The second C.O. I served under was a mustang Captain who commanded the respect he got.  My first was out of the Naval Academy and when it came to the Enlisted Men, didn't seem to much care about us.  Captain Nick started out scrubbing decks in the engineering space and 19 years later, had the command of an aircraft carrier.  The first thing he did was stand in the chow line unannounced and waited about an hour before getting to the serving area.  He called over the Commissary Officer and basically told him if he wanted to stay in the Navy he had better get the slop off the serving line and he better not see the same thing again and no man was to be in line more than 30 minutes.  Somehow the Commissary Officer made it all happen.

To those who have never served it may seem like no big deal but to the enlisted guys it was a huge deal.  We had a C.O. who understood what was needed and made it happen.  For the first time I felt we had someone sticking up for us.

In 76 the battle group I was in was sent to the Indian Ocean after Israel had a plane hijacked and taken to Entebe, Kenya.  After being out there for about 2 weeks with no mail, we got close enough to Diego Garcia where they could get mail to us.  The COD landed and all it had was junk mail and magazines which made Captain Nick mostly unhappy.  He asked the squadron commander if his CODs could fly from Diego Garcia to our ship and back without taking on fuel.  The answer, of course, was no.  He then informed the squadron commander he would have to figure out a f*cking way to do it if there wasn't a bunch of first class mail in the morning.  The next morning planes were circling the ship like a bunch of vultures waiting to get permission to land.  Notice I said planes.

This was a long circuitous way of saying that above all a commander has to have the respect of his men if he ever plans to be successful and Captain Nick had ours.  Maybe the best examples are Grant and Lee in the Civil War.