Author Topic: Grand Parkway debate comes east with construction three new segments  (Read 507 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by Dug Begley 12/29/2019

Houston is a faraway place on FM 1413 in southern Liberty County, where a driver is more likely to see a pony munching on grass than a shop on the corner. If not for the trees and an electrical transmission line, the sky would be unbroken, horizon to horizon.

Everything changes about three-quarters of a mile west of Texas 146. A tight stand of trees on each side of the road gives way to a wide swath of flat land, from which a concrete wall rises along a ramp crawling with construction workers building one of three new segments of the Grand Parkway.

It soon could look a lot more like other parts of suburban Houston where the Grand Parkway has gone, with cul-de-sacs replacing horse pastures and retail centers sprouting at major intersections.

In nearby Dayton, where the tollway offers opportunity and oppression alike, residents are quietly but amicably divided.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Grand-Parkway-is-a-road-to-riches-or-ruin-14923203.php

Offline thackney

Re: Grand Parkway debate comes east with construction three new segments
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 02:14:00 pm »
The building of segment C is part of my retirement plan.  Land values will jump around my home after it is completed a few miles from my home.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 02:17:55 pm »
Also the completion of the segment to Hwy 146 and Fred Hartman bridge would drastically help the overbearing traffic to booming Mont Belvieu.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 03:30:03 am »
What will be the total miles and travel time to make the completed loop?

Seems it might be easier to travel to San Antonio that to make that drive.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »
What will be the total miles and travel time to make the completed loop?

Seems it might be easier to travel to San Antonio that to make that drive.

State Highway 99 (the Grand Parkway) is a proposed 180-mile circumferential highway traversing seven counties in the Greater Houston area. Conceptualized in the early 1960s, it is divided into 11 segments designated A through I-2.

https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/houston/sh99-grand-parkway.html