Author Topic: SpaceX, Blue Origin, Virigin Galactic and other Private Space Companies Thread  (Read 93887 times)

Offline kevindavis007

Elon Musk sure thinks big. IMO you can't help but admire the guy...

:amen:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Elon Musk sure thinks big. IMO you can't help but admire the guy...

To me, the big story is how little press attention Wednesday's flight has gathered, considering we haven't had manned space flights in this country for almost 10 years.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
To me, the big story is how little press attention Wednesday's flight has gathered, considering we haven't had manned space flights in this country for almost 10 years.

We can't have the Proles thinking of great dreams.  The press can't have us remembering the lost dreams of the space age.  Socialized Welfare has become more important than exploration.  O'Bastard was a symptom, not the disease, when he let the space program whither into just another Moslem outreach project.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

Does anyone know what time and channel for liftoff?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

There will be many sites that will show the launch. Here is one: https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Here is another:

UPCOMING LAUNCH: Crew Demo-2
Returning Human Spaceflight to the United States

https://www.spacex.com/launches/

SpaceX is targeting Wednesday, May 27 for Falcon 9’s launch of Crew Dragon’s second demonstration (Demo-2) mission from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This test flight with NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley on board the Dragon spacecraft will return human spaceflight to the United States.

The instantaneous launch window opens at 4:33 p.m. EDT, or 20:33 UTC, with backup instantaneous launch opportunities available on Saturday, May 30 at 3:22 p.m. EDT, or 19:22 UTC, and on Sunday, May 31 at 3:00 p.m. EDT, or 19:00 UTC. Tune in here to watch the launch webcast. Coverage will begin about 4 hours before liftoff.

Countdown
Min/Sec         Event
- 45:00         SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for propellant load
- 42:00         Crew access arm retracts
- 37:00         Dragon’s launch escape system is armed
- 35:00         RP-1 (rocket grade kerosene) loading begins
- 35:00         1st stage LOX (liquid oxygen) loading begins
- 16:00         2nd stage LOX loading begins
- 07:00         Falcon 9 begins engine chill prior to launch
- 05:00         Dragon transitions to internal power
- 01:00         Command flight to begin final prelaunch checks
- 01:00         Propellant tank pressurization to flight pressure begins
- 00:45         SpaceX Launch Director verifies go for launch
- 00:03         Engine controller commands engine ignition sequence to start
- 00:00         Falcon 9 liftoff

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I wouldn't bet against a real time thread here from Mr. Davis tomorrow. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Already set up: SpaceX Crew Dragon Launch Live Thread Launch: Wednesday, May 27, 4:33 p.m. ET

Thanks...   I have always been a fan of live space events.  Back to when I as a child watching the Gemini launches. 

Offline Idiot

Thanks...   I have always been a fan of live space events.  Back to when I as a child watching the Gemini launches.
I've always loved watching them as well. I pray things go well for the astronauts.

Offline Idiot

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

I take it you were not around, or just don't remember watching the Mercury launches.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I take it you were not around, or just don't remember watching the Mercury launches.

Would have been 6 on the last one..  I am pretty sure I probably watched them, but don't remember hearing the Mercury terminology. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@catfish1957

The media and the DNC are owned outright by the left,and the left hates any positive "pro private enterprise" reporting.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

I'm all for space exploration but are manned flights at this point really a good value for our tax dollars?

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I'm all for space exploration but are manned flights at this point really a good value for our tax dollars?

I agree.  But I think the incentive is more not having to pay the Russians for rides and supplies to the ISS.  Whether its enough to cover this program, I don't know.

Offline kevindavis007

Long term yes.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

Long term yes.

Even with what the Chicoms have stolen?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Even with what the Chicoms have stolen?

I'm not grasping what the Chicoms stole that would have us giving up on the dream of manned exploration?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I'm not grasping what the Chicoms stole that would have us giving up on the dream of manned exploration?

I am thinking along lines of money lost in technology and intellectual property theft.  Again in the vein of "was it a good investment"?

Offline kevindavis007

I am thinking along lines of money lost in technology and intellectual property theft.  Again in the vein of "was it a good investment"?

Still yes. Short term yes.. Long term yes. We shouldn't let those Commie Bastards stop us from moving forward.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Losing IP to anybody is always a bad investment, but I'm not sure how that relates to "Is manned space exploration good?" 
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I didn't notice if this got posted yet....

Virgin Orbit’s rocket has failed on its first attempt to get into space

May 26
The news: Virgin Orbit failed in the first test of its LauncherOne rocket yesterday, after seven years of development and testing. The rocket was transported by a Boeing 747 and released over the Pacific Ocean, off the coast of California. It was supposed to fall for a few seconds, ignite, and then propel itself into low Earth orbit. Instead, it ignited and fell into the sea. The flight had been intended to gather data rather than to actually launch a satellite into space. The crew on board the plane, and a second safety plane, safely returned to the Mojave Air & Space Port. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline kevindavis007

Losing IP to anybody is always a bad investment, but I'm not sure how that relates to "Is manned space exploration good?"

Agreed. However, I remember the argruments I had at the TOS with people who hated Manned Space Exploration.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Virgin Orbit: Elon Musk responds to firm's failed rocket mission

Inverse by Mike Brown 5/26/2020

https://www.inverse.com/innovation/virgin-orbit-elon-musk-responds-to-failed-mission-attempt

Virgin Orbit, the Virgin Galactic spin-off aiming to make its grand debut Monday, has failed in its first major mission. But Elon Musk, the SpaceX CEO with experience in orbital flights, suggested after the bad news that it's not a show-stopping moment.

The firm was planning to attempt an orbital launch with the LauncherOne two-stage rocket, the first outing for this new vehicle. The plan was to send up a Boeing 747 dubbed Cosmic Girl with LauncherOne attached to the underside. It would then launch the rocket, deploy a test payload and de-orbit.

Although it ended in failure, the mission is still a remarkable step forward for Virgin Orbit. As outlined before the mission by the company, it marks the first time anyone had ignited the engine on an orbital-class liquid-fueled vehicle flying horizontally. The feat was performed on the first attempt, making it all the more impressive.

Responding to the events on Twitter, Musk wrote:

"Sorry to hear that. Orbit is hard. Took us four attempts with Falcon 1."

More at link.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Agreed. However, I remember the argruments I had at the TOS with people who hated Manned Space Exploration.

Yeah, I remember those "discussions" too.  Between those and Willie Greene's Choo-Choos they got to be quite entertaining.  happy77
I will NOT comply.