Author Topic: Durbin: Democrats and Republicans have 'gone too far' saying how they'll vote before impeachment tri  (Read 409 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Durbin: Democrats and Republicans have 'gone too far' saying how they'll vote before impeachment trial
By Rebecca Klar - 12/22/19 10:21 AM EST

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said on Sunday that senators on both sides of the aisle should not be commenting on how they'll vote at the end of the looming Senate impeachment trial before the process concludes.

"I’m going to take an oath of office when it comes to this impeachment, on the floor of the Senate," Durbin said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

"In that, I promise 'impartial justice so help me God,' and I want to stick by that," he added. "I basically want to hear the evidence read the documents make a decision that's right for America."

CNN's Dana Bash asked Durbin if "it is a mistake" for his colleagues to come out in support of Trump's removal before the trial, referencing a handful of senators, mainly Democrats running for president, who have said they will vote in favor of the president's removal.

"I really think it is," Durbin responded. "I think they've gone too far."

"How can they hold their hands up and say I swear impartial justice...they should not have done that," he said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/475648-democratic-senator-democrats-have-gone-too-far-saying-how-theyll
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mesaclone

Durbin: Democrats and Republicans have 'gone too far' saying how they'll vote before impeachment trial
By Rebecca Klar - 12/22/19 10:21 AM EST

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said on Sunday that senators on both sides of the aisle should not be commenting on how they'll vote at the end of the looming Senate impeachment trial before the process concludes.

"I’m going to take an oath of office when it comes to this impeachment, on the floor of the Senate," Durbin said Sunday on CNN's "State of the Union."

"In that, I promise 'impartial justice so help me God,' and I want to stick by that," he added. "I basically want to hear the evidence read the documents make a decision that's right for America."

CNN's Dana Bash asked Durbin if "it is a mistake" for his colleagues to come out in support of Trump's removal before the trial, referencing a handful of senators, mainly Democrats running for president, who have said they will vote in favor of the president's removal.

"I really think it is," Durbin responded. "I think they've gone too far."

"How can they hold their hands up and say I swear impartial justice...they should not have done that," he said.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/475648-democratic-senator-democrats-have-gone-too-far-saying-how-theyll

This is a political trial, not a judicial one. As intended by the Constitution and its authors. The constitution requires no such "faux-impartiality pledges". The hypocrisy of such a pledge, when not a single Senator involved is either impartial nor willing to act against their own political interest (unless their TDS overrides even that...which is doubtful), is comical.

That said, one can pledge "impartial justice" whilst acknowledging that one is not personally impartial in the matter...this happens every day in the judiciary. When the Supreme's hear a case on which they have strong feelings...say, abortion...they pledge to administer impartial justice but do not claim to be personally impartial in the matter (and most have a record of expressing their strong feelings on such matters previously).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:31:54 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
DICK...I sure didn't hear this complaint for the last 3 years while Dems were spewing their intention to impeach Trump and already claiming his guilt.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mesaclone

DICK...I sure didn't hear this complaint for the last 3 years while Dems were spewing their intention to impeach Trump and already claiming his guilt.

Yes. His selective nobility speaks volumes...he is a standard "dirty Dick" political pig in the mud. How anyone could be fooled by this type of open hypocrisy is mind boggling.

Offline skeeter

This is a political trial, not a judicial one. As intended by the Constitution and its authors. The constitution requires no such "faux-impartiality pledges". The hypocrisy of such a pledge, when not a single Senator involved is either impartial nor willing to act against their own political interest (unless their TDS overrides even that...which is doubtful), is comical.

That said, one can pledge "impartial justice" whilst acknowledging that one is not personally impartial in the matter...this happens every day in the judiciary. When the Supreme's hear a case on which they have strong feelings...say, abortion...they pledge to administer impartial justice but do not claim to be personally impartial in the matter (and most have a record of expressing their strong feelings on such matters previously).

The rats lectured about impeachment being a political process when it was in the House, now they're trying to convince everyone its a legal one.

McConnell needs to tell them to go p*ss up a rope.

Offline libertybele

His name *DICK* fits him well.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Mesaclone

The rats lectured about impeachment being a political process when it was in the House, now they're trying to convince everyone its a legal one.

McConnell needs to tell them to go p*ss up a rope.

Fortunately, that's exactly what he's telling themQ

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Fortunately, that's exactly what he's telling themQ

Durbin is the quintessential Illinois corrupt rat.  He is useless on top of the ground; he aught to be under it, inspiring the cabbages.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.