Author Topic: Donald Trump's Finances: Will Voters Ever Know The Truth?  (Read 710 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Donald Trump's Finances: Will Voters Ever Know The Truth?
« on: December 18, 2019, 12:45:41 pm »
Newsweek by  Roger Parloff 12/17/2019

President Donald Trump's most jealously guarded secrets—his financial records, including tax returns—will probably remain hidden from voters until after the next election.

That's just one likely consequence of the U.S. Supreme Court's red-letter decision earlier this month to hear three cases, involving five subpoenas, seeking those records. Though the Justices will hear arguments in March and rule by next June—several months before we go to the polls—it seems increasingly doubtful that they will order a quick, clean turnover of the president's crown jewels.

Rather, the Court's decision to review these cases signals that ninety-two years of legal precedent concerning the investigative powers of Congress may be due for an overhaul. Precisely what will emerge is anyone's guess, except that it will be momentous.

The subpoenas, issued by three Congressional committees and a state grand jury in Manhattan, seek the records of Trump, his three oldest children—Donald Jr., Ivanka and Eric—The Trump Organization and a dense tangle of affiliated business entities.

Since 1927, when the Court decided a case stemming from the Teapot Dome scandal of the Warren Harding Administration, the law in this area has been fairly clear. Congress has had broad investigative leeway to inform its legislative functions. So long as it could articulate a "legislative purpose" for the information sought, courts would not second-guess its motives.

But while Congressional subpoenas were once rare, their use has been accelerating since the 1970s. Since taking control of the House in January, Democrats have demanded documents from more than 100 Trump allies or businesses. In response, Trump has stonewalled. "We're fighting all the subpoenas," he vowed last April.

More:https://www.newsweek.com/when-will-voters-see-donald-trump-tax-returns-1477714

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Donald Trump's Finances: Will Voters Ever Know The Truth?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 02:24:33 pm »
None of the Dems' and MSM's (I know, repetitive and redundant) damn business.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 02:50:34 pm »
Seconded. In fact, it's nobody's business.

If they can snoop into his, they can snoop into ours—and leak it to the press if they don't like us. Social Security numbers and all.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »
Trump is not obligated to release his tax returns, but it is a tradition that past presidents and candidates have followed routinely. 

Trump won't release his financial information because he has something to hide.  It's that simple.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 03:21:12 pm »
Trump is not obligated to release his tax returns, but it is a tradition that past presidents and candidates have followed routinely. 1.

Trump won't release his financial information because he has something to hide.  It's that simple. 2.

1. Given that the income tax was started only about a century ago, that's obviously incorrect (I'm trying to be nice). Further, Nixon was the first President to release his tax returns, so doing so is recent, not at all a long-standing tradition.

2. No, he's protecting his privacy. And in so doing, as @jmyrlefuller pointed out, Trump thereby is protecting the privacy of every American from tyrannous politicians who would access tax returns as a political weapon.

2. By your "logic" every American who does not want his/her tax returns mad public is "hiding something". Putting it nicely, that's BS.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 03:28:37 pm »
Trump is not obligated to release his tax returns, but it is a tradition that past presidents and candidates have followed routinely. 

Trump won't release his financial information because he has something to hide.  It's that simple.

Oh come on.  When a cop pulls me over and asks if it okay to search my car, I say no.   Why?  Because I'm hauling 45 Illegals and 12 keys of pure bolivian in the trunk of my hoopty?

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 03:35:33 pm »
Will we ever know Pelosi's financial information?
Will we ever know Clinton's financial information?
Of course not.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2019, 03:39:54 pm »

He is not legally obligated period.  End of story.  It's that simple. So, you are assuming he's guilty.  Another case of being guilty until proven innocent. Nice.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2019, 03:47:19 pm »
He is not legally obligated period.  End of story.  It's that simple. So, you are assuming he's guilty.  Another case of being guilty until proven innocent. Nice.

And if Trump released 20 years of his tax returns, all showing he over-paid, would Never-Trumpers then trust him? Of course not! They'd split between, "He's hiding something!" and moving on to the next fauxny Gotcha-Trump! Because facts do not matter to them any more than facts matter on Democratic Underground.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2019, 05:21:36 pm »

Here you go ...

800-829-1040
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Tell them!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 06:02:08 pm »
Here you go ...

800-829-1040
7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time

Tell them!

:silly:  888high58888

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2019, 07:54:16 pm »
Will we ever know Pelosi's financial information?
Will we ever know Clinton's financial information?
Of course not.
You left out we will never know Barry's financial information or anything about his real G-damn past and if anyone even asks the entirety of the liberal media and other leftists in the country scream

There are so many Congress critters that somehow got unbelievably wealthy on their government salaries that they should think twice about opening the door to private financials inspections. Then again maybe there should be a nationwide push to have all of their tax returns made public if they are so interested in being open and honest.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2019, 08:03:32 pm »
You left out we will never know Barry's financial information or anything about his real G-damn past and if anyone even asks the entirety of the liberal media and other leftists in the country scream

There are so many Congress critters that somehow got unbelievably wealthy on their government salaries that they should think twice about opening the door to private financials inspections. Then again maybe there should be a nationwide push to have all of their tax returns made public if they are so interested in being open and honest.
Been saying the same thing for months. I think the reason DEMs do not fear that they will be next to be audited is because they have come to believe that Laws and Rules only apply to Republicans, and that Democrats are somehow exempt from Laws.
And usually they are correct.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 08:04:21 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:45 pm »
There are so many Congress critters that somehow got unbelievably wealthy on their government salaries that they should think twice about opening the door to private financials inspections. Then again maybe there should be a nationwide push to have all of their tax returns made public if they are so interested in being open and honest.[/size]

Yep. Personally, I think that anyone - ANYONE who works for the government, to include subcontractors, should have to publish finances openly. Nothing better for government than daylight.

But until that glorious day - what's good for the goose...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2019, 11:35:50 pm »

:thud:

Officer:  "Hello Mr. Wood!  I stopped you because you have a broken taillight.  You don't mind if we pull out all the upholstery in your car, do you?  After all...if you're 'clean,' you have nothing to hide.  Step out of the vehicle, please."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2019, 12:01:16 am »
When a Newsweak article cries:
"Will Voters Ever Know The Truth?"

... I know that I'm NOT going to be getting it from Newsweak.

No need to read further.