Author Topic: Pervez Musharraf: Pakistan ex-leader sentenced to death for treason  (Read 408 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
General Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan's former military leader, has been sentenced to death at a special court hearing in Islamabad.

The three-member court sentenced him over a high treason charge that has been pending since 2013.

Gen Musharraf seized power in a military coup in 1999 and served as the country's president from 2001 to 2008.

He is currently in Dubai after being allowed to leave the country for medical treatment in 2016.

The charge relates to Gen Musharraf's suspension of the constitution in 2007, when he imposed emergency rule in a move intended to extend his tenure.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50819772
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Pervez Musharraf: Pakistan ex-leader sentenced to death for treason
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 11:30:50 am »
Pervez Musharraf, former president of Pakistan, sentenced to death for treason

Pervez Musharraf, Pakistan’s former president who has been living outside the country, was sentenced to death in absentia Tuesday on charges of high treason stemming from his decision to suspend the constitution and detain judges in 2007.

Salman Nadeem, a government law officer, told Reuters that Musharraf was found guilty of Article 6 “for violation of the constitution of Pakistan.”  The three-person court ruled in favor of the sentence 2-1.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/pervez-musharraf-former-president-of-pakistan-sentenced-to-death-for-treason-report
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 11:57:35 am »

He palled around with Bush, there is even some book I saw out on them.

Sounds like a very harsh ruling.

Musharraf seemed okay with me while knowing, there was no way to quite tame the many challenges of Pakistan.

Some relative of the present Pakistan leader has just been arrested over something. Maybe I'll find that later. A nephew I believe of Ali Khan (that's his name I think).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:58:37 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 07:04:23 am »
I'd say, most of the Pakistani sentiment is that Musharraf does not deserve this. A lot on twitter, #Musharraf .

More reading:  https://worlddaily.us/the-meaning-of-musharrafs-conviction-dawn-columnist-south-asia-news-top-stories/