Author Topic: FCC unanimously approves proposal for new 3-digit number as Suicide Prevention Hotline  (Read 618 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Washington (CNN)The Federal Communications Commission is moving ahead with plans to designate a three-digit number to reach the National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 988.

The five-member commission unanimously voted on Thursday to approve the proposal, which is now open for public comment, and start the rulemaking process.

"988 has an echo of the 911 number we all know as an emergency number. And we believe that this three-digit number dedicated for this purpose will help ease access to crisis services, it will reduce the stigma surrounding suicide and mental health conditions, and ultimately it will save lives," Chairman Ajit Pai said Thursday during the commission's open December meeting.

The proposal requires carriers to implement 988 as a national suicide prevention hotline within an 18-month timeframe. The FCC is asking for input on "all aspects of implementation," including whether less or more time is needed.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/12/politics/fcc-988-suicide-prevention-hotline/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline libertybele

I think it's a great idea.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline dfwgator

« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:06:25 am by dfwgator »

Offline Applewood

Every once in a while government does something right.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online mountaineer

Good news. Democrats will be needing it, and I doubt AOC can remember more than three numbers at a time.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

Good news. Democrats will be needing it, and I doubt AOC can remember more than three numbers at a time.

:silly:

Good one. 

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Not as catchy as... I got your number on the wall for a good time call: "Jenny"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

Not as catchy as... I got your number on the wall for a good time call: "Jenny"

867-5309, lol.