Author Topic: McConnell will move to acquit Trump if he's impeached, not merely dismiss charges, 2 Republican sena  (Read 242 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
McConnell will move to acquit Trump if he's impeached, not merely dismiss charges, 2 Republican senators say
By Ted Barrett and Manu Raju, CNN
Updated 8:08 AM ET, Thu December 12, 2019
McConnell pushing for short Senate trial

(CNN)Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is expected to hold a final vote to acquit President Donald Trump, should he be impeached, when a majority of senators believe his trial has run its course instead of holding a vote on dismissing the articles of impeachment, two Republican senators told CNN on Wednesday.

Republicans want to have a vote on acquittal -- to clear the President of the charges against him -- not simply rely on a 51-vote threshold procedural motion to dismiss the hotly disputed case.

The Constitution mandates 67 votes are required to convict the President and remove him from office, a barrier widely considered too high to be reached in this case.

Read more at: https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/11/politics/mcconnell-impeachment-trial-acquittal/index.html

Drudge Sirene.... okay, they just took the siren down, the flashing lights.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 04:56:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Game over. That's all she wrote.

Boy, this would 'p-o the Dems!

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
This is a mistake.   I'd agree with McConnell if the President were being impeached on grounds of violation of real laws that have real meaning.  But with charges of bribery and extortion dropped in deference to the political ambitions of Joe Biden,  the remaining articles are amorphous and partisan.   Especially the charge that Trump deserves impeachment because he dares to defend himself and the co-equal powers of the executive branch.  Or Nadler's and Pelosi's blather about the need to pre-emptively impeach so he doesn't face the verdict of the deplorable voters.   

A motion to dismiss means the charges don't deserve to be taken seriously.   A partisan response to a partisan clown show.   Good enough for me.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline libertybele

This is a mistake.   I'd agree with McConnell if the President were being impeached on grounds of violation of real laws that have real meaning.  But with charges of bribery and extortion dropped in deference to the political ambitions of Joe Biden,  the remaining articles are amorphous and partisan.   Especially the charge that Trump deserves impeachment because he dares to defend himself and the co-equal powers of the executive branch.  Or Nadler's and Pelosi's blather about the need to pre-emptively impeach so he doesn't face the verdict of the deplorable voters.   

A motion to dismiss means the charges don't deserve to be taken seriously.   A partisan response to a partisan clown show.   Good enough for me.

Yes, agreed this is a mistake, but one that I expected.  IMHO there is involvement of corruption on both sides of the aisle and they want to get this done and over with.

With both Graham and McConnell pushing to get this over as quickly as possible, I won't be at all surprised if the Senate decides on impeachment.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

With both Graham and McConnell pushing to get this over as quickly as possible, I won't be at all surprised if the Senate decides on impeachment.

You really think the Senate will vote to remove?    On the basis of the charges presented to it by the House?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline bilo

Game over. That's all she wrote.

Boy, this would 'p-o the Dems!

I don't think so. Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is expected to hold a final vote to acquit President Donald Trump, should he be impeached, when a majority of senators believe his trial has run its course instead of holding a vote on dismissing the articles of impeachment, two Republican senators told CNN on Wednesday.

He's saying there will be a trial. Witnesses will be called that a majority decide should be called.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home