Author Topic: BREAKING: Anthony Rendon agrees to 7-year, $245 million deal with Angels  (Read 882 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
By Tim Brown
Yahoo! Sports
https://sports.yahoo.com/anthony-rendon-agrees-to-sevenyear-245-million-deal-with-angels-034047632.html

SAN DIEGO — Off a decade they made remarkable for their inability to build a presentable team around Mike Trout, the Los Angeles Angels on Wednesday came to terms with free-agent third baseman Anthony Rendon on a seven-year, $245 million deal, according to sources.

With still work to be done on the pitching staff, but clearly angling to be relevant again in the American League West hours after failing in their pursuit of right-hander Gerrit Cole, the deal includes no options or opt-outs, according to sources. The deal is pending a physical . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: BREAKING: Anthony Rendon agrees to 7-year, $245 million deal with Angels
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 09:03:52 pm »
Trout and Rendon's annual salaries now surpass the Rays payoff.
The entire Rays payroll.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 12:41:16 pm »
Rendon needs a better agent.  Cole got more.   :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 12:56:18 pm »
Trout and Rendon's annual salaries now surpass the Rays payoff.
The entire Rays payroll.

Angels have become a team of a few superstars and garbage around them.  Team was 35 back last season.  They really think this add will make the competitive with Astros and A's?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 01:18:52 pm »
Great!   He's out of the NL East!
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 01:33:55 pm »

Same agent, I believe.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 05:42:24 pm »

Angels have become a team of a few superstars and garbage around them.  Team was 35 back last season.  They really think this add will make the competitive with Astros and A's?
@catfish1957
It puts them in better stead now, when you consider that three Angel third basemen in 2019 weren't even close to being as good as one Anthony Rendon. The Angels now have to repair their starting pitching. In the lineup they can hit and how. On the mound, I was surprised only that they didn't try more bullpen games in 2019 (one of the ones they did try: that electrifying combined no-hitter---and 13-0 blowout of the Mariners---in the first home game after Tyler Skagg's death) since their relievers were by and large better than their starters. (Including the only Angel pitcher with an ERA and an FIP under 3, reliever Hansel Robles.)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:57:38 pm by EasyAce »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 05:45:35 pm »
@Applewood
Cole's average annual salary under his deal: $36 million.
Rendon's average annual salary under his deal: $35 million.

Year-by-year it's a $1 million difference. With their average annual salaries $1 million is tip, pin, or pocket money.

And Rendon got what he really wanted that the Rangers, for whatever reason, wouldn't give, the seventh year.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 06:06:35 pm »
@Applewood
Cole's average annual salary under his deal: $36 million.
Rendon's average annual salary under his deal: $35 million.

Year-by-year it's a $1 million difference. With their average annual salaries $1 million is tip, pin, or pocket money.

And Rendon got what he really wanted that the Rangers, for whatever reason, wouldn't give, the seventh year.

@EasyAce
Even a tad more when you take in account both states incredibly harsh income tax rates..   CA -12.3%, NY- 8.8%. 

Which brings me to a point.  The Astros made an offer to Cole that was comprable to the Yankees (AAV), minus the 2 extra year term.
Either Cole really valued those two extra years, or the Astros (Or Boras) failed to mention that TX has no state income tax.  (Which adds up to $2+M annually at Cole's NY work address based on gross)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:08:14 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 06:31:40 pm »
@EasyAce
Even a tad more when you take in account both states incredibly harsh income tax rates..   CA -12.3%, NY- 8.8%. 

Which brings me to a point.  The Astros made an offer to Cole that was comprable to the Yankees (AAV), minus the 2 extra year term.
Either Cole really valued those two extra years, or the Astros (Or Boras) failed to mention that TX has no state income tax.  (Which adds up to $2+M annually at Cole's NY work address based on gross)
@catfish1957
My guess is the extra two years. I've noticed lately that time seems almost more important than the money to players who've signed fresh or extended deals. Mike Trout signed that glandular extension last spring because he wanted to stay where he was for the rest of his likely career; Bryce Harper made a point of saying the years were as important as the money to him in Philadelphia, that he wanted an assured baseball home (if the Nats were going to low-ball him, as they kind of actually did) for the rest of his career. And Stephen Strasburg (as several players signing such big deals have done, including Trout, Harper, Cole and Rendon, I think), who wanted to stay in Washington no matter what because (I wrote about it a few days ago) he appreciated having a team that actually cared about his well being (and bought a home in the DC area very recently), asked and got no opt-out in his new deal.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:33:51 pm by EasyAce »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2019, 07:25:50 pm »
@EasyAce

Which was a point I made when Beltran left the Astros the first time around.
He received more in salary by going to New York, but lost money by leaving the Astros, due to the State Income taxes in New York.
At best, it was a wash, with more accounting required, and that is worth avoiding on its own.