Author Topic: Two House articles of impeachment fail to meet constitutional standards By Alan Dershowitz  (Read 397 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Two House articles of impeachment fail to meet constitutional standards
By Alan Dershowitz, opinion contributor — 12/10/19 11:00 AM EST

House Democrats have announced two grounds on which they plan to seek the impeachment of President Donald Trump — abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Neither satisfies the express constitutional criteria for impeachment, which are limited to “treason, bribery or other high crimes and misdemeanors.” Neither are crimes or misdemeanors, high or low. Neither are mentioned in the Constitution.

Both are so vague and open-ended that they could be applied in partisan fashion by a majority of the House against almost any president from the opposing party. Both are precisely what the framers rejected at their constitutional convention. Both raise the “greatest danger” — in Hamilton’s words — that the decision to impeach will be based on “the comparative strength of parties,” rather than on “innocence or guilt.”

That danger is now coming to pass, as House Democrats seek for the first time in history to impeach a president without having at least some bipartisan support. Nor can they find support in the words of the Constitution, or in the history of its adoption. A majority of the House is simply making it up as they go along — and thereby placing themselves not only above the law but above the Constitution.

more
https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/473849-two-house-articles-of-impeachment-fail-to-meet-constitutional-standards
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I can't figure The Dersh out.

He's supposed to be a liberal demo, voted for hillary in 2016.
But since then, he seems to have become one of Mr. Trump's best defenders.

Perhaps he should be asked to join the Trump defense team?
Would he put his money where his mouth lately has been...?

Offline verga

The Dersh is an outright liberal, but he has always been behind the Constitution.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Maybe, just maybe, he is like Joe Lieberman, a liberal who rose above his liberal discipline when it came to patriotism for his country.

I salute any patriot who places country above self.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

What state is Senator Dershowitz from?

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
What state is Senator Dershowitz from?

Why do we care what the Epstein Island pedophile thinks?  The liberal Dershowitz that is friends and contributor to the Clintons.

Alan Dershowitz—a liberal Harvard law professor and ardent backer of Hillary Clinton—has emerged as one of the Russia probe’s most vocal critics. He’s likened the investigation to a KGB hunt, and special counsel Bob Mueller to a notoriously obsessed sailor.
How Alan Dershowitz Went From Hillary Donor to Trump’s …

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-alan-dershowitz-went-from-hillary-donor-to-trumps-attack-dog-on-russia

https://www.thedailybeast.com/epstein-accuser-sues-alan-dershowitz-over-alleged-sex-ring
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The Dersh is an outright liberal, but he has always been behind the Constitution.

Sorry that is the funniest thing that I have heard.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline verga

Sorry that is the funniest thing that I have heard.
Please prove otherwise.

Offline aligncare

Yes, agree that Dershowitz is a liberal constitutionalist. And that’s okay. Because folks need to understand and appreciate there is a difference between American liberals and Leftists. The former love America and the constitution whereas the latter hate America and the constitution. Big difference.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Please prove otherwise.
@verga
You don't prove a joke, and you don't explain a joke.  You commit to the joke, you make the joke, and you follow through.  I'm giving you a 10 out of 10.  :hands: