Author Topic: California must act now to prepare for sea level rise, state lawmakers say  (Read 652 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
LA Times by By Rosanna Xia 12/4/2019

At a packed meeting catering to state lawmakers and top planning officials, Mark Merrifield played a video that he and his research team at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography have seen many times before.

“This is a natural phenomenon; it’s feeding the beaches, but it’s happening more and more frequently in part because of sea level rise,” said Merrifield, director of Scripps’ Center for Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation. “So what can do? That’s why we’re here, right?”

The rising sea might feel like a slow-moving disaster, they said, but this is a social, economic and environmental catastrophe that the state cannot afford to ignore. By the end of this century, the sea could rise more than 9 feet in California — possibly more if the great ice sheets collapse sooner than expected.

Lawmakers have told cities they must start addressing climate adaptation in their planning, but have otherwise shied away from issuing mandatory directions. The California Coastal Commission, through modest grants and some general guidance, has been encouraging local officials to consider “everything in the toolkit” — including the controversial option of relocating oceanfront properties and critical infrastructure away from the water — when updating city policies.

More: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-12-04/sea-level-rise-special-committee-california-assembly

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Sea level rise?

California is sinking.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Man this is good news.   But then every prediction has been false.  So I suspect this is much todo about nothing.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

Sounds like a new California 'tax' in the making.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

I can't believe a single bit of this nonsense. You're talking a measurement measured in millimeters across decades, and without any way to calculate accurately whether the top is going up (technically measured against the land subsiding causing the water to look higher)  or the bottom is going up (sedimentation), not only locally, at each interval, but across the whole dang show too...

I think the whole thing is so incredibly dynamic - even just acurately measuring the the wave action and tidal forces alone - That anyone claiming to measure a 2 or 3 mm rise annually is bound to be full of crap.