Author Topic: Just 1 of the 3 living Pearl Harbor survivors will be able to attend a ceremony marking the attack's  (Read 451 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
CNN)Saturday marks the 78th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor attack, and one of the three remaining survivors of the USS Arizona will attend the annual ceremony in Hawaii.

Lou Conter, 98, arrived this week after missing last year's celebration, the first time no survivors attended.
"I always come out to pay respect for the 2,403 men that were killed that day, including 1,177 of my shipmates on the Arizona," he said, CNN affiliate KHNL reported.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/06/us/pearl-harbor-survivor-uss-arizona-trnd/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

I'm surprised any of the pitifully few Arizona survivors are still among us.

I respect the heck out of these guys.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The soingle nation guilty of Pearl Harbor deaths, was dealt with very firmly, and has not been a problem since.

OTOH an equal number of people died on 9/11/2001 and the nations responsiblehave been coddled and the aattacks continue over 20years later.

Pensacola FL for example.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Nice to see that Mr. Conter could still make it at age 98.

What I'd like to ask him is:
Considering the struggle you and others like you fought back then, when you look around at America as it is today, what do you think...?

Out walking today, the thought came to me that in, say, 50 years, the Arizona memorial won't get nearly the visitors it sees today. By then all those who served in WWII will be gone, and perhaps most of their children, as well.

Who will still care by then...?
Will it still even be taught as a part of American history?

Offline Applewood

Nice to see that Mr. Conter could still make it at age 98.

What I'd like to ask him is:
Considering the struggle you and others like you fought back then, when you look around at America as it is today, what do you think...?

Out walking today, the thought came to me that in, say, 50 years, the Arizona memorial won't get nearly the visitors it sees today. By then all those who served in WWII will be gone, and perhaps most of their children, as well.

Who will still care by then...?
Will it still even be taught as a part of American history?

@Fishrrman

If anything about World War II is taught at all, it is usually presented with America as the aggressor and bad guy.  I know for sure the slant surrounding the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings says they weren't necessary because Japan was going to surrender anyhow.  My guess is that the kids are taught Pearl Harbor was somehow our fault and we deserved it. 

That's why when another member of the Greatest Generation leaves us, I feel it as a tremendous loss to this country.  Keeping the kids ignorant of history makes them so much easier to control. This country already is producing generations of delicate snowflakes who would never be able to survive a calamity like Pearl Harbor.  Hell, many of them can't even deal with ordinary, everyday life. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I met two sisters this past Dec 7th in Pensacola who lived near Pearl Harbor-Hickman Field on Dec 7 1941.  They had a picture of them with their mother hiding in a rock ditch during the attack.   It was a real pleasure talking to these remarkable ladies who lived thru the attack.  Their father was part of the service men responsible for re-floating the damaged battleships.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.