Author Topic: Appeals court rules Deutsche Bank must turn over Trump financial records to House  (Read 310 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Appeals court rules Deutsche Bank must turn over Trump financial records to House
By Harper Neidig - 12/03/19 10:47 AM EST

Deutsche Bank and Capital One must comply with a House subpoena seeking a broad range of financial documents related to President Trump and his businesses, a federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday.

A three-judge panel of the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday ruled 2-1 in favor of ordering "prompt compliance" with the subpoenas from the House Financial Services and Intelligence committees.

"The public interest in vindicating the Committees’ constitutional authority is clear and substantial," the judges wrote in the decision.

more
https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/472774-appeals-court-rules-deutsche-bank-must-turn-over-trump-financial
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
"The public interest in vindicating the Committees’ constitutional authority is clear and substantial," the judges wrote in the decision.

That reads to me like a classic bootstrap argument.  The only public interest in turning over those documents is in confirming that Congress can have whatever it wants.  By that logic, they don't really need a justification to demand anything, because the demand itself is the justification.

Offline skeeter

Tomorrow, under the fold : Overturned.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Tomorrow, under the fold : Overturned.
Exactly.
This is the very last precedent the Democrats want to establish.
The Dems are the dirtiest most corrupt politicians on Earth.
If they can do this to Trump, then everybody becomes a target.
They all know that they will be next on the docket.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Court ruling allows House to enforce subpoenas demanding Trump’s tax returns
https://nypost.com/2019/12/03/court-ruling-allows-house-to-enforce-subpoenas-demanding-trumps-tax-returns/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
"It is the interest of two congressional committees, functioning under the authority of a resolution of the House of Representatives authorizing the subpoenas at issue, to obtain information on enforcement of anti-money-laundering/counter-financing of terrorism laws, terrorist financing, the movement of illicit funds through the global financial system including the real estate market, the scope of the Russian government’s operations to influence the U.S. political process, and whether the Lead Plaintiff was vulnerable to foreign exploitation," they continued.

Sounds impressive, but it reads like a complete load of crap to me as a lawyer.  There isn't any suggestion or evidence that Trump's personal tax returns have anything to do with any of that.  Law enforcement is expressly not the function of Congress, and if there was a reasonable suspicion of criminal behavior, that would have to come from a prosecutor.  The Mueller investigation examined tax returns in detail looking for exactly those kind of unlawful activities, and ended up prosecuting only Manafort.  No hint of illegality on Trump's part.

What this is really all about is something entirely different.  They want to get those tax returns so that they can be leaked -- illegally -- into the public domain.  That's it.