Author Topic: Trump plans to designate Mexican cartels as terror groups, stirring outcry  (Read 580 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Trump plans to designate Mexican cartels as terror groups, stirring outcry
Mary Beth Sheridan

MEXICO CITY — Mexico’s government on Tuesday requested an urgent meeting with senior U.S. officials after President Trump said he was planning to designate Mexican drug cartels as terrorist organizations, a move that authorities here fear could vastly complicate security cooperation and trade between the neighbors.

Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard will contact Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to discuss “this theme of high relevance for the bilateral agenda,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement. It said the meeting should take place “as soon as possible.”

Mexico appeared to be caught off-guard by Trump’s announcement. On Monday, Ebrard said Mexico “would never accept” that its criminal groups be designated as terrorists by the U.S. government, because “this invokes a disposition to act in a direct manner.”

Read more at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/trump-plans-to-designate-mexican-cartels-as-terror-groups-stirring-outcry/2019/11/26/8ebaeefa-10b7-11ea-bf62-eadd5d11f559_story.html

Per the last paragraph above, IF we designate these people as terrorists, the rules change, we can go after them "in a direct manner" as stated above.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: Trump plans to designate Mexican cartels as terror groups, stirring outcry
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 04:49:54 am »
Per the last paragraph above, IF we designate these people as terrorists, the rules change, we can go after them "in a direct manner" as stated above.

This is very good.  Good Trump.   He better not give in on this.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:55:36 am »
The one thing I think that can happen is if we or if Trump does that, could there not be reprisal attacks on US citizens? I kind of think so.  So, that's up to each one of us at that, they will be at our border and again, a good reason to heighten border security.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 05:27:25 am »
The one thing I think that can happen is if we or if Trump does that, could there not be reprisal attacks on US citizens? I kind of think so.  So, that's up to each one of us at that, they will be at our border and again, a good reason to heighten border security.

What about the Mexican Cartel in the United States.  They should be called terrorist to.  He has to call them terrorists and they are, in order to get around Congress.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 05:31:22 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 05:59:16 am »
Seriously?  Trump could have done this almost 3 years ago?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 09:09:29 am »
Seriously?  Trump could have done this almost 3 years ago?

And Obama could have done it 8 years ago and Bush could have done it 15 years ago. What's your point? The article says his predecessors thought of doing it but held back.

The massacre of the American family, LeBaron,  in Northern Mexico has turned new attention to the problem let alone, this whole political border-wall/border enforcement battle that is going on.

What would the designation mean?

When a group is designated as a terrorist organisation in the US, it becomes illegal for people in the US to to knowingly offer support.

Its members are also banned from entering the US. If they are already in the US, they face being deported.

If financial institutions discover they have funds connected to the group, they are required to block the money and alert the US Treasury Department.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50568812

This is actually likely, a long-time coming and it surely is no easy decision to make. As I said, potentially, we could see some blowback.

With all due respect, to say "why didn't he do this three years ago" sounds like one is not up on the news.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:27:14 am by TomSea »

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 09:42:22 am »
Terrorism is only one part of what a cartel does. Just call it that and create or maintain the enforcement powers to deal with them.
The Republic is lost.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 11:33:11 am »
Terrorism is only one part of what a cartel does. Just call it that and create or maintain the enforcement powers to deal with them.

Mexico never accept because of how to react?

If there ever was any doubt that the Mexican government wasn't in the hip pocket of the Cartels.....   Well there it is.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 06:13:45 pm »
List of politicians killed in the Mexican Drug War
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_politicians_killed_in_the_Mexican_Drug_War

It is definitely a bit more complex than saying the Cartels control the government, many politicians have been killed by Cartels.

Also, I'm sure at times, the killing could be the killing of politicians with conflicting interests, a politician supports one cartel over another. Probably see this more with the police departments.

Indeed, the system is corrupt very deep down. It would be very hard to really save it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 09:54:00 am by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 06:58:19 am »
List of politicians killed in the Mexican Drug War
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_politicians_killed_in_the_Mexican_Drug_War

It is definitely a bit more complex than saying the Cartels control the government, many politicians have been killed by Cartels.

Also, I'm sure at times, the killing could be the killing of politicians with conflicting interests, a politician supports one oolitician over another.

Indeed, the system is corrupt very deep down. It would be very hard to really save it.

Good things aren't always easy.