Author Topic: Texas woman killed by wild hogs in front yard of home: Sheriff  (Read 2981 times)

Offline corbe

Texas woman killed by wild hogs in front yard of home: Sheriff
« on: November 27, 2019, 12:40:54 am »
Texas woman killed by wild hogs in front yard of home: Sheriff

By Mark Osborne

Nov 25, 2019, 10:25 PM ET

A woman found dead outside the home of an elderly couple she was caring for was killed by wild hogs, according to authorities.

Christine Rollins was found on Sunday morning outside a home in Anahuac, Texas, east of Houston, with "multiple injuries to her body."

"It appears that she has an injury to her head that is consistent with a fall, but she also has numerous injuries that appear to be animal related," the Chambers County Sheriff's Office said in a statement Sunday.

On Monday, Sheriff Brian Hawthorne confirmed the woman died from "exsanguination (severe blood loss) due to feral hog assault."

"My detectives and the criminal investigation team felt like that's what it was, but it was not something that we could even come close to announcing until we had the cause of death from the medical examiner's office," Hawthorne said at a press conference Monday.

<..snip..>

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-woman-killed-wild-hogs-front-yard-home/story?id=67308386
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Texas woman killed by wild hogs in front yard of home: Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 12:59:31 am »
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Sheriff-Feral-hogs-to-blame-for-woman-s-rare-14862483.php

Only four fatal wild pig attacks have ever been reported in the United States, including three instances where the pig was injured during a hunt, according to a study published in 2013 from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. The study reflects the most recent available data from a total of 412 wild pig attacks around the world between 1825 and 2012.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 02:06:29 am »
Saw this on our local news this evening too.  Biggest shock to me, are these suckers getting so cozy to home areas that are highly "humanized" and in subdivisons.  I have a lot of woods on my property, and I generally have to waste one or two a year.  Never thought I was in danger, and usually get within 10 yards before shooting.  One feigned a charge a couple of years ago, but they all seem to get spooked pretty easily.

They do tear up some ground when the infestate.  Also, big hassle to haul the (large) dead ones away, so they don't stink up the place.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 02:50:51 am »
There is speculation that the woman may have been passed-out due to a medical condition.
In that case, it would not be an 'attack' per se. It would be opportunistic feeding.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 03:08:33 am »
There is speculation that the woman may have been passed-out due to a medical condition.
In that case, it would not be an 'attack' per se. It would be opportunistic feeding.

So you're saying the hogs are not to blame. They just saw her as breakfast?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2019, 03:12:58 am »
If the reports are true, then yes. They didn't attack and kill her. If she was incapacitated then they saw her not as a person, but just a big pile of food. It could have been anything.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline corbe

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2019, 03:20:20 am »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 03:21:19 am »
Reports? Ain't seen one yet. Or totally gossip.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 01:23:39 pm »

@Elderberry

They are NOT to blame. They are just hogs being hogs. My father used to capture them in what look like large "rabbit boxes",and then put them in a fenced in area and feed them corn to get rid of the "wild" taste before killing and butchering them. Within a couple of weeks they were as tame as lap dogs with him. He could get in the pen with them and walk around slapping them away. Anybody else even get close to the fence,and there would be a hog hanging off the fence snapping his teeth and trying to bite.

Feed them corn for a few weeks and they taste just like farm hogs.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 01:37:10 pm »
My grandfather raised hogs. My mom said in the morning when she was walking to school, when the hogs saw her they'd run up to the fence and roll over on their backs so she could scratch their bellies with a stick  thru the fence.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2019, 02:15:12 pm »
@Elderberry

They are NOT to blame. They are just hogs being hogs. My father used to capture them in what look like large "rabbit boxes",and then put them in a fenced in area and feed them corn to get rid of the "wild" taste before killing and butchering them. Within a couple of weeks they were as tame as lap dogs with him. He could get in the pen with them and walk around slapping them away. Anybody else even get close to the fence,and there would be a hog hanging off the fence snapping his teeth and trying to bite.

Feed them corn for a few weeks and they taste just like farm hogs.

Good plan for piglets or younger examples, but the old tougher ones never purge the rank taste.  Plus, such a hassle to haul off and dispose 250 lb hog , after you plug 'em. (My 2009 escapade)  Still, what I get from the grocey store for basically $1-$2 a pound tastes better. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2019, 02:38:50 pm »
Good plan for piglets or younger examples, but the old tougher ones never purge the rank taste. 

@catfish1957

I think that has more to do with the hogs diet while growing up and living wild than anything else.

Anybody that thinks pigs/hogs are harmless has never ran across a wild boar,or a sow with piglets.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2019, 02:45:05 pm »
@catfish1957

I think that has more to do with the hogs diet while growing up and living wild than anything else.

Anybody that thinks pigs/hogs are harmless has never ran across a wild boar,or a sow with piglets.

Exactly, 3 or 4 years ago, one charged while putting the gun sight on him.  He had blood on his tusks from no telling where, so I knew he wasn't in a good mood. 

I love Live Oaks, and sadly these buggers do too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2019, 07:53:48 pm »

I love Live Oaks,..

@catfish1957

There is only one word appropriate for Live Oaks,"Magnificent".

Online berdie

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 08:54:06 pm »
As I've said before...there are some ferals out here that are the size of VWs.  I don't have any plans to challenge them, unless I hire someone. I feel badly for the poor lady. The pigs, imho, seem to be evolving and will attack.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2019, 09:24:09 pm »
As I've said before...there are some ferals out here that are the size of VWs.  I don't have any plans to challenge them, unless I hire someone. I feel badly for the poor lady. The pigs, imho, seem to be evolving and will attack.

You make a good point. Biggest one I've bagged on the property was about  250 lbs.   I know the coyotes seem to get more and more brazen as time passes too. Had to toss a limb at one a few weeks ago, to get him away from the mulch/compost pile.   We supervise our English Bulldogge's bathroom breaks nowadays, versus no need years ago.   Deer?...  that's another story.  Ate all. my pears this year, and about killed half the fruit trees. 

Online berdie

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2019, 09:44:53 pm »
You make a good point. Biggest one I've bagged on the property was about  250 lbs.   I know the coyotes seem to get more and more brazen as time passes too. Had to toss a limb at one a few weeks ago, to get him away from the mulch/compost pile.   We supervise our English Bulldogge's bathroom breaks nowadays, versus no need years ago.   Deer?...  that's another story.  Ate all. my pears this year, and about killed half the fruit trees.

I'm sure all of this has happened in the past but it is odd. All the critters are hungry...or getting braver @catfish1957 . It has been a mild summer with plenty of water so I don't get it. But I guess we'll see how it works out, and be the ones that say "Hey! Remember the winter of '19?"

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 02:49:50 am »

I'm sure all of this has happened in the past but it is odd. All the critters are hungry...or getting braver @catfish1957 . It has been a mild summer with plenty of water so I don't get it. But I guess we'll see how it works out, and be the ones that say "Hey! Remember the winter of '19?"
I know you guys are rural while I am in northern Orange County, CA so I have no experience with hogs wild or otherwise, however over the last fifteen years I have noticed that wildlife seems to have reached it's limits as to how far they will let man push them. While the biggest wild animal we used to encounter was the Opossum now we have raccoon, coyote, skunks, hawks and the like returning in droves to the land we pushed them out of with our development.  Coyotes have become especially brazen hunting and eating their kills with no concern even in the daytime, they have become so brazen that they have even attempted to take small children in the daytime. And we can't do anything about them, except report them to animal control because we live in residential areas.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2019, 02:22:08 pm »
They are hungry and there are a lot of them.

They have rooted up right up to front steps of my front yard at the farm to get at the pecans.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2019, 02:28:36 pm »
They are hungry and there are a lot of them.

They have rooted up right up to front steps of my front yard at the farm to get at the pecans.

Kill a few and leave some remnants. Pigs are smart and can sense that the danger, death smell, or whatever.  Still, a few can't help the tempation of Live Oak acorns here, and get dealt with accordingly. 

I have lived here 25 years, and I'd say the hog sightings have increased about 5 fold since then.  But sometimes I feel like the Lone Ranger in dealing with them.  It's a losing war.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:29:22 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2019, 08:01:38 pm »
Kill a few and leave some remnants. Pigs are smart and can sense that the danger, death smell, or whatever.  Still, a few can't help the tempation of Live Oak acorns here, and get dealt with accordingly. 

I have lived here 25 years, and I'd say the hog sightings have increased about 5 fold since then.  But sometimes I feel like the Lone Ranger in dealing with them.  It's a losing war.
already trapped 4 in trap in front yard.  No effect after the blood and guts from the.  They came back a week later.

Hungry enough to ignore.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2019, 11:24:02 pm »
already trapped 4 in trap in front yard.  No effect after the blood and guts from the.  They came back a week later.

Hungry enough to ignore.

Here is a possible suggestion for you. Build a wooden rabbit box big enough to hold a hog,and bait it with corn husks. Once you catch the hogs,you can build a pig pen to put them in and they will pretty much instantly become tame once they realize you are feeding them scraps. Feed them table scraps and corn for a few weeks,and then sell them to a hog farmer,or butcher them and sell the meat.

I even knew one guy that fed a LOT of hogs for free by leaving trash cans at the local high school cafeteria for the students to scrape the scraps from their meals into. Saved the county from having to pay someone to haul it off,and saved him from having to pay for hog food.

I just don't like the idea of killing something that tastes that good,and letting it lay on the ground and rot. If nothing else,just butcher every one you kill and contact local churches and charities,and you are bound to find somebody that wants it. You have solved your hog problem,and done a good deed for the needy at the same time.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 11:25:58 pm by sneakypete »

Online berdie

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 07:51:32 pm »
Here is a possible suggestion for you. Build a wooden rabbit box big enough to hold a hog,and bait it with corn husks. Once you catch the hogs,you can build a pig pen to put them in and they will pretty much instantly become tame once they realize you are feeding them scraps. Feed them table scraps and corn for a few weeks,and then sell them to a hog farmer,or butcher them and sell the meat.

I even knew one guy that fed a LOT of hogs for free by leaving trash cans at the local high school cafeteria for the students to scrape the scraps from their meals into. Saved the county from having to pay someone to haul it off,and saved him from having to pay for hog food.

I just don't like the idea of killing something that tastes that good,and letting it lay on the ground and rot. If nothing else,just butcher every one you kill and contact local churches and charities,and you are bound to find somebody that wants it. You have solved your hog problem,and done a good deed for the needy at the same time.

From what I've heard, the ferals are extremely cagey (no pun intended) and will side step traps. That is probably why people hire the pros to exterminate them. And I don't mind using the word exterminate. They are destructive pests. Wait till you try to mow a pasture after they have ravaged it.

I'm sure they can be cured correctly for a price  but the two I have had didn't flick my bick at all. And I am a fan of wild game. They have a gamier taste than anything I've ever eaten. I guess if I were starving... @sneakypete

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 10:29:18 pm »

From what I've heard, the ferals are extremely cagey (no pun intended)
and will side step traps.

@berdie   

Hogs/Pigs,are VERY smart,but no creature alive,including mankind is smarter than their stomach. Hogs ain't running around tearing up stuff to get exercise. They are doing it because they are hungry and looking for food. You bait a capture cage with corn,it WILL catch hogs.

BTW,do NOT mistake the traps I am talking about with foot traps. I am talking about large boxes that have a trap door that falls when the hog enters and puts his foot on the lever. The hog is not harmed.

That is probably why people hire the pros to exterminate them.

Nope,people hire the pros because it's easier and safer. Still,my father and I used to catch them in capture cages all the time,and within a week he could get in the pen with them and walk around and have them following him looking for corn.

And I don't mind using the word exterminate. They are destructive pests.

The are just hungry animals trying to keep from starving.

I'm sure they can be cured correctly for a price  but the two I have had didn't flick my bick at all. And I am a fan of wild game. They have a gamier taste than anything I've ever eaten. I guess if I were starving...

Once again,you have to feed them corn,table scraps,and similar items,and it only takes a couple of weeks of doing this to get rid of the "gamey" taste.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 12:21:07 am »