Author Topic: House committee advances bill to end federal marijuana ban, allow VA to prescribe cannabis to vets  (Read 477 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by  Kyle Perisic  November 22, 2019

The House Judiciary Committee voted on Wednesday to approve legislation that would effectively end federal prohibition on marijuana and allow Department of Veterans Affairs doctors to prescribe cannabis to patients.

The Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act of 2019 passed the committee with bipartisan support in a 24-10 vote and removes marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, Forbes reported. Reps. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) and Tom McClintock (R-CA) also voted in favor of the bill, which will now advance to the House floor for a full vote.

If passed, it would also order the creation of a “Cannabis Justice Office” which would focus on reinvesting resources into communities most affected by prohibition, as well as expunge certain marijuana-related convictions.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/11/house-committee-advances-bill-to-end-federal-marijuana-ban-allow-va-to-prescribe-cannabis-to-vets/

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Marijuana treats everything, until it doesn't.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/more-act-bill-that-would-federally-decriminalize-marijuana-passes-house-committee-today-2019-11-20/

The bill would remove marijuana from the list of federally controlled substances, allow states to set their own marijuana policy and require federal courts to expunge prior convictions for marijuana offenses. A 5% tax on marijuana products would also establish a trust fund for programs designed to help people disproportionately impacted by the "war on drugs," including job training and treatment for substance abuse.

"For far too long, we have treated marijuana as a criminal justice problem instead of a matter of personal choice and public health. Whatever one's views on the use of marijuana for recreational or medicinal purposes, arresting, prosecuting and incarcerating users at the federal level is unwise and unjust," House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler said in his opening statement.

Aaron Smith, executive director of the National Cannabis Industry Association," praised the proposal's approval by saying it "marks a turning point for federal cannabis policy and is truly a sign that prohibition's day are numbered."

Online libertybele

Glad to see this, and I would like to see a bill to decriminalize the use of marijuana period.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Glad to see this, and I would like to see a bill to decriminalize the use of marijuana period.
Why?  Are yoou so certain of the minimal negative results, to invite the homeless addicts to camp n your yard, or in parks in your neighborhood?

IOW I believe the current explosion of homelessness (drug addiction) results directly from permissivve drug laws and enforcement.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

Why?  Are yoou so certain of the minimal negative results, to invite the homeless addicts to camp n your yard, or in parks in your neighborhood?

IOW I believe the current explosion of homelessness (drug addiction) results directly from permissivve drug laws and enforcement.

I have yet to encounter anyone who is "addicted" to marijuana.  No one.  This isn't about decriminalizing ALL illegal drugs, this is specifying marijuana which has definite medicinal properties.  People spend years in prison for possession or using, yet we don't put people in prison for possession of alcohol; in fact, you can freely go to any liquor store and purchase as many bottles as one wishes.

I reflect back on a program that has been utilized in Belgium; in short, those who are caught with 'drugs' have two choices; jail time or rehab time.  The success rate has been significant.  They are seeing a reduction in addictions and drug use.  I say they've got it right.  We are still punishing the addict and users instead of insisting that they get help and offering them the help they need.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Well I didn't get sent to prison, but I did get arrested once for minor possession of alcohol and possession of fireworks within the city limits. And the dang cops were popping my firecrackers inside the police station.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Won't do vets like me with COPD any good until/unless it comes in pill form.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@truth_seeker

"Marijuana addicts"??????

WTF? Did I fall asleep and wake up in a 1930's movie?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Marijuana treats everything, until it doesn't.

@truth_seeker

Penicillin treats everything until it doesn't.