Author Topic: Mobile Nuclear Power Will Enable a Logistics Revolution for the Army  (Read 216 times)

rangerrebew

Mobile Nuclear Power Will Enable a Logistics Revolution for the Army
Lt. Gen. (Ret.) Dan Christman
November 15, 2019

From 2001 until 2010, over half of the American casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, more than 18,000 men and women, were from convoy operations — missions typically focused on bringing fuel and water to sustain the force in the battlefield. I spent 36 years in the U.S. Army, finishing my career as superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point. At West Point, my mission was to prepare cadets for a career as an officer in the U.S. Army. One lesson we never had to teach in the classroom was how to keep the lights on and power the campus. However, on the battlefields where my students would go on to serve with honor and distinction, access to power has played a critical role in the long war against terrorism.

One of West Point’s most decorated graduates, Gen. Dwight Eisenhower, said that “battles, campaigns, and even wars have been won or lost primarily because of logistics.” The American Army’s mastery of logistics, managed by Eisenhower, allowed the delivery of overwhelming amounts of men and material to battlefields of Western Europe in 1944 and 1945.

https://warontherocks.com/2019/11/mobile-nuclear-power-will-enable-a-logistics-revolution-for-the-army/