Author Topic: Car Crashes in Pot-Legal States Have Soared  (Read 2367 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Car Crashes in Pot-Legal States Have Soared
« on: November 16, 2019, 07:35:29 pm »
Car Crashes in Pot-Legal States Have Soared
November 13, 2019, 11:02 AM CST

Car crashes in the first three states to legalize recreational marijuana have soared as law enforcement and regulators struggle to define driving high, let alone determine how to fight it.

Colorado, Oregon, and Washington saw a combined 5.2% increase in the rate of police-reported crashes after legalizing recreational marijuana, compared with neighboring states where such sales are illegal, according to data compiled and analyzed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Researchers tallied crash rates between 2012 and 2016.

Auto-insurance collision claims in the three states have also increased a combined 6% since legalization, compared with neighboring western states without legal weed, the Highway Loss Data Institute found. Analysts controlled for variables such as driver population, car model, weather, and driving environment.

Read more at: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-13/pot-legal-states-struggle-to-stem-rise-in-driving-while-stoned?srnd=premium

Offline Applewood

Re: Car Crashes in Pot-Legal States Have Soared
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 07:39:03 pm »
Well, duh! 

Pennsylvania is on the verge of legalizing pot for recreational use.  It's already legal for medicinal purposes.  As it is, Pennsylvanians can't drive even when sober.  I can't wait to see what happens when the drivers are high. 

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 07:59:21 pm »
No, the stats have to be wrong....pot is harmless. Why? Because people who love to smoke pot have said so.
Isn't that enought proof?   22222frying pan

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 08:04:24 pm »
Same regulations and common sense should apply to driving while under the influence of alcohol to 'pot'.  Good grief! 

Lots of medicinal benefits from pot, and other than the occasional glass of wine, I don't know of any medicinal benefits from alcohol.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline xyno

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 08:18:12 pm »
But wait!  When it comes to gun control, if new restrictions save but one life, it will have been worth it.  Right?

The hypocrisy is stunning.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:19:03 pm »
The potency of pharma pot you can buy by the gram would explain this.

My best friend has been hounding me to get an MMCC card by the State.   Both he and his wife obtained them and they can purchase 4 oz. each per month. 

I tease them...they're libs...that Maryland now is going to take their firearms.

This article tells me that your auto-insurance premiums are going to go up if you are registered card holder in your State.

One day when I went over there, he had six different strains put out in tiny soy sauce dishes.

WHAT A COUNTRY!    We laugh at the thought...at our ages.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline xyno

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 08:19:43 pm »
Plus, follow the money.  Pot sales generate cash for the state and local municipalities. 

Offline xyno

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 08:25:06 pm »

I tease them...they're libs...that Maryland now is going to take their firearms.

Then there is this.  Back door gun control.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:35:30 pm »
Now, there is CBD, a derivative from Pot, it might be the "pain killing" part, I know someone who uses it because of his "bad knees".   So, I've seen it in "vaping" stores. My friend gets it on amazon, I would think one could find something a lot cheaper than what I saw it selling for. So, in this, we are discussing "medicinal uses" of marijuana:

Web MD discusses it:   https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20180507/cbd-oil-all-the-rage-but-is-it-safe-effective#1

CBD Oil: All the Rage, But Is It Safe & Effective?

By Dennis Thompson

HealthDay Reporter

MONDAY, May 7, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Cannabidiol (CBD) oil has become the hot new product in states that have legalized medical marijuana.

The non-intoxicating marijuana extract is being credited with helping treat a host of medical problems -- everything from epileptic seizures to anxiety to inflammation to sleeplessness.

But experts say the evidence is scant for most of these touted benefits.

As usual, Web MD seems to come out with a conservative view but that's not a big deal.  It might be worth a try if one has some problems was described above.  I'm unsure of the state-by-state issue.  I guess, if one buys it in a local store, they are not dealing with that issue too much.

If I tried it, basically, I'd try to do it at home, where I'm not worried about being on the road, etc. As I will do with alcohol. I won't really drink away from home. The law can really mess one up if they catch you.  Not worth the fuss.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 08:38:37 pm by TomSea »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 08:38:04 pm »
Same regulations and common sense should apply to driving while under the influence of alcohol to 'pot'.  Good grief! 

Lots of medicinal benefits from pot, and other than the occasional glass of wine, I don't know of any medicinal benefits from alcohol.
How do you test on the roadside for pot? What concentration do you test for, and of what chemicals?
Given the loiter time of tetrahydrocanabinol in user's systems, how do you separate the impaired from the frequent user who is 'normal'?

These are all problems I brought up when North Dakota was considering a ballot measure which would have legalized recreational marijuana (thankfully defeated).

Unlike alcohol, with known concentrations, (dosages, if you will), with known effects, and the ability (however flawed) to measure blood alcohol content and compare to an established objective standard, the standard for marijuana has not been effectively established in such a fashion that provides for anything but a subjective testing of the impairment of the user. That's wide open for challenges in court over being unconstitutionally vague, subjective, and that makes for a difficult standard to prosecute on, with the exception of the most egregious cases.

Better to not let that genie out of the bottle until there is some form of containment, and to be fair to the recreational user where it is legalized, a subjective means to determine when a substance which affects judgement is causing impairment.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 11:24:58 pm »
In Illinois it is going to be legal soon.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 11:48:14 pm »
Now, there is CBD, a derivative from Pot, it might be the "pain killing" part, I know someone who uses it because of his "bad knees".   So, I've seen it in "vaping" stores. My friend gets it on amazon, I would think one could find something a lot cheaper than what I saw it selling for. So, in this, we are discussing "medicinal uses" of marijuana:

Web MD discusses it:   https://www.webmd.com/pain-management/news/20180507/cbd-oil-all-the-rage-but-is-it-safe-effective#1

As usual, Web MD seems to come out with a conservative view but that's not a big deal.  It might be worth a try if one has some problems was described above.  I'm unsure of the state-by-state issue.  I guess, if one buys it in a local store, they are not dealing with that issue too much.

If I tried it, basically, I'd try to do it at home, where I'm not worried about being on the road, etc. As I will do with alcohol. I won't really drink away from home. The law can really mess one up if they catch you.  Not worth the fuss.

You make some valid points, and perhaps  they are coming out with a 'breathalyzer' machine that measures pot?  Does it really matter how much someone has smoked before getting on the road?  Bottom line, they shouldn't be smoking or drinking and driving period.  In my books, one drink before getting on the road is one too many! 

I find it interesting that it is viewed as acceptable to go out to dinner and have a few drinks and then drive, or have a couple of drinks at the local pub,  but people have a panic attack if someone takes a few puffs on a joint and see that as not acceptable.  No the two are not equally the same, but similar in that both substances have an affect on one's ability to drive.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 12:15:12 am »
I don't know of any medicinal benefits from alcohol.

WHAAAT??? Y'all better think that one through... Start with what is very likely the single most preeminent pain killer ever... an historically prolific disinfectant, particularly in the mouth... a major carrier for herbal medicines... a proper topical astringent... I could go on and on. While some may be trying to prove the medicinal value of weed, there is hardly a house on the planet in all of history that hasn't had alcohol in it's medicine chest.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 02:29:15 am »
How fast were they going when the crashes happened?

Just saying.......
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:39:46 am »

CBD oil contains no THC – the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, at least not in any significant quantities and doesn’t, can’t actually make you high (assuming you get it from a “legitimate” and not completely shady source but being that it’s not closely regulated….?) no matter how much you use and is typically produced from hemp plants, not marijuana plants. Hemp is a close relative of marijuana but

Here in PA you can buy CBD oil and CBD infused products including in energy drinks, breakfast bars, chocolate, “gummy bears” just about everywhere – including at convenience stores like Sheetz and Rutters and lots of other places including beauty stores and salons.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/06/marijuanas-close-cousin-cbd-suddenly-on-sale-all-over-pa-how-and-why.html

Where I get my hair done, they’ve introduced a line of CBD hair and skin care products. I got suckered into buying some CBD hair finishing oil. My hair stylist used it on my hair two appointments ago and it did make my hair very soft and silky and very shiny so I bought a small bottle for $20.

Sometime after I started using it I noticed a strange odor, sort of like BO, not quite as bad as BO but still a musty, musky, funky, sort of an oniony-garlicy odor mixed with sweat, not a skunk weed or pot odor but still not very pleasant. And strangely the odor didn’t seem to be coming from my hair but from my other regions and my “nether regions” and even permeating my clothes so I didn’t equate it at first with the CBD hair oil since my hair didn’t seem to smell that way. But after I stopped using it, the odor went away. Hey, if had made me “feel” more “chill” I might have been OK with the funky odor and the silky hair. : ) But I instead went back to using argon oil for taming my thick, course and curly hair as it is odorless and FWIW is a lot cheaper and does as good as a job.

A lot of people swear by the positive effects of CBD oil, but I’m suspicious of any single product that claims to be a “cure all” for all sorts of and wide variety of unrelated conditions.

I also feel the same about the “essential oil” craze.

But…then…OTOH, after a friend recommended it to me as she said it really helped with her arthritic knee pain, I bought an essential oil pain relief roll on product to use on my foot that has become increasingly arthritic and painful, sometimes to the point of making even simple walking difficult. It contains camphor, copaiba, eucalyptus, lemongrass, rosemary, Frankincense and sage oils. I was very skeptical that it would work at all but it is as least as effective for temporary pain relief as my Rx  cream, but damn if it doesn’t seem to help more.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Applewood

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2019, 02:45:58 am »
@Neverdul

I tried a CBD ointment on my arthritic knees.  Did nothing, but boy did it stink!  If I want an awful odor, I'll use BenGay or Icy Hot.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2019, 03:03:29 am »
For the record, the man I know using CBD will say the army ruined his knees, much activity in that department.  He's also gained quite a bit, I won't tell him that but I think that could be part of it too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2019, 03:27:25 am »

Just saying.......

I bet the speed was praportional to the distance to fast food

Offline LottieDah

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2019, 03:35:00 am »
If you are going to smoke marijuana do it in your home and stay off the roads.  I do not need to get broad sided by some pot head.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2019, 03:36:57 am »

Just saying.......

I don't know about you, but being rear ended at any speed is not something I care to experience at my age. I don't heal as fast as I used to.  The article said that pot folks "tend" to be going slower than those affected by alcohol, but what does that mean. Alcohol drivers tend to go faster so slower than those on alcohol may still be too fast. Heck any speed with a few ton thing on wheels is too fast.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2019, 03:38:22 am »
If you are going to smoke marijuana do it in your home and stay off the roads.  I do not need to get broad sided by some pot head.

...and for heaven's sake if you're going to drink do it in your own home and stay off the roads.  I don't want to get broad sided by some drunk!

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2019, 03:48:29 am »
I gave up that stuff a long time ago. I hear that this legal stuff is a lot stronger than what we used to smoke. For a road trip we used to roll up enough to have a joint between us for every ten miles and we never wrecked. I wonder how much they've smoked before they wrecked.  Or is it that they just can't handle it?

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2019, 04:01:31 am »
...and for heaven's sake if you're going to drink do it in your own home and stay off the roads.  I don't want to get broad sided by some drunk!
I agree, and the same for if you are going to do any drug, smoked, drank, snorted, injected or popped.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2019, 04:16:07 am »
I don't care whether someone is straight, drunk,  or stoned, I'd just as soon NO ONE broadsides me (and that includes people more interested in fiddling with their phones!)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2019, 04:31:25 am »
I don't care whether someone is straight, drunk,  or stoned, I'd just as soon NO ONE broadsides me (and that includes people more interested in fiddling with their phones!)

Amen. The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.

https://www.edgarsnyder.com/car-accident/cause-of-accident/cell-phone/cell-phone-statistics.html