Author Topic: Disney Plus warns of 'outdated cultural depictions' in some films, but some say that's not enough  (Read 770 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Disney Plus warns of 'outdated cultural depictions' in some films, but some say that's not enough
Marisa Iati, The Washington Post Published 5:43 pm PST, Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Disney's much-anticipated streaming service has tacked warnings onto the beginnings of some movies indicating that they might include racist or otherwise offensive elements - a move that experts say begins to address the problem but fails to go far enough.

A message that airs before classic films including "Dumbo" and "Peter Pan" on Disney Plus says the movie is shown as it originally was made and "may contain outdated cultural depictions."

The decision to attach this message to some animated films was met with both praise from people who viewed it as an accountability measure and criticism from those who thought its wording was dismissive. The mixed response, experts say, highlights the fact that Disney only has begun to take responsibility for the problematic representations.

Read more at: https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/article/Disney-Plus-warns-of-outdated-cultural-14833347.php#photo-2605622

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is all I have too say.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
One of the best things we could do to improve cultural literacy in this country is to bring back the old Warner Brothers cartoons so every kid in America can experience their unique and culturally sophisticated humor.   When our kids were young,  the WB cartoons weren't on TV regularly like they were when I was a kid,  so we made sure they had a collection of VHS tapes.   The in-jokes and puns and slapstick and historical references remain today as shared experience between me and my kids.   

Bring 'em back so kids today can watch and learn!   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline goatprairie

SOTS went down the memory hole many decades ago. I remember seeing it as a kid on tv.
What exactly was wrong with it?
An old black guy was telling stories about anthropomorphic animals to a young white kid.
Millions of white kids watched it like myself and my siblings and laughed at the antics of Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit.
How is that racist? I don't get it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
SOTS went down the memory hole many decades ago. I remember seeing it as a kid on tv.
What exactly was wrong with it?
An old black guy was telling stories about anthropomorphic animals to a young white kid.
Millions of white kids watched it like myself and my siblings and laughed at the antics of Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit.
How is that racist? I don't get it.

@goatprairie

It was racist because the studios could be counted on to pay "shut up and go away money" to the Tan Klan,which for all practical purposes  even THEY didn't really think  it was racist,and were willing to pay fines to make the problem go away.

What it actually meant was the studios figured out it was cheaper to pay the Tan Klan their bribe money that it was to face lawsuits and product boycotts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:55:35 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Muthaf____s!