Author Topic: DACA lands before Supreme Court: Showdown over Trump bid to end ‘Dreamer’ program  (Read 912 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
DACA lands before Supreme Court: Showdown over Trump bid to end ‘Dreamer’ program

By Shannon Bream, Bill Mears | Fox News

The long-running battle over the Trump administration’s bid to end the Obama-era program for young undocumented immigrants known as “Dreamers” will land before the Supreme Court on Tuesday.

And with a ruling expected in the midst of a presidential election year, the case puts the high court at the center of one of the most politically charged issues since the start of President Trump’s term.

For the administration and Dreamers alike, it all comes down to the Supreme Court, where Trump picks Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch now sit. Federal appeals courts across the country have rejected efforts to phase out the Obama-era program known as Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, but the administration has looked to the high court for support.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/daca-lands-before-supreme-court-showdown-over-trump-bid-to-end-dreamer-program
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

It's all in our squish chief justice's hands now.

rangerrebew

Dreamers in Limbo as Supreme Court Prepares to Take Up DACA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 06:03:52 pm »
Dreamers in Limbo as Supreme Court Prepares to Take Up DACA
November 09, 2019 02:21 AM

The U.S. Supreme Court will take on a case Nov. 12 that could impact the future of hundreds of thousands of people brought to the United States as children illegally. In particular, one doctor who is on track to finish his residency training in the state of California could have his fate determined by the outcome. VOA's Warangkana Chomchuen reports from San Francisco.

b
By
Warangkana Chomchuen

https://www.voanews.com/episode/dreamers-limbo-supreme-court-prepares-take-daca-4086421

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
IMHO this should be the most open and shut decision in history but you can bet your @$$ it won't be.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
IMHO this should be the most open and shut decision in history but you can bet your @$$ it won't be.

@Bigun  I predict 5-4.   Which way. I have no clue.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

It seems judges at all levels don't know the definition of "illegal." 

Online Hoodat

It's not DACA that is landing before the Supreme Court.  The merits of DACA should have zero bearing on the decision on whether a President has the right to alter, amend, or do away with executive orders placed by previous Presidents.  Trump's right to do away with Obama executive orders is no different from Eisenhower's right to do away with Woodrow Wilson's segregation executive orders.

Those who oppose Trump here are not opposing him on Constitutional grounds.  They are opposing him simply because they want DACA to stay, just as abortion proponents pushed for a Roe ruling at the expense of what the Constitution actually says.  These people are tyrants, plain and simple.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It's not DACA that is landing before the Supreme Court.  The merits of DACA should have zero bearing on the decision on whether a President has the right to alter, amend, or do away with executive orders placed by previous Presidents.  Trump's right to do away with Obama executive orders is no different from Eisenhower's right to do away with Woodrow Wilson's segregation executive orders.

Those who oppose Trump here are not opposing him on Constitutional grounds.  They are opposing him simply because they want DACA to stay, just as abortion proponents pushed for a Roe ruling at the expense of what the Constitution actually says.  These people are tyrants, plain and simple.

Spot on.  Obama f'd this up with his EO.  Why we are here today is a reflection on his pen and phone being mightier than Trumps Pen .
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Hoodat

President Gerald R. Ford's Proclamation 4417, Confirming the Termination of the Executive Order Authorizing Japanese-American Internment During World War II

February 19, 1976

By the President of the United States of America, a Proclamation

In this Bicentennial Year, we are commemorating the anniversary dates of many great events in American history. An honest reckoning, however, must include a recognition of our national mistakes as well as our national achievements. Learning from our mistakes is not pleasant, but as a great philosopher once admonished, we must do so if we want to avoid repeating them.

February 19th is the anniversary of a sad day in American history. It was on that date in 1942, in the midst of the response to the hostilities that began on December 7, 1941, that Executive Order 9066 was issued, subsequently enforced by the criminal penalties of a statute enacted March 21, 1942, resulting in the uprooting of loyal Americans. Over one hundred thousand persons of Japanese ancestry were removed from their homes, detained in special camps, and eventually relocated.

The tremendous effort by the War Relocation Authority and concerned Americans for the welfare of these Japanese-Americans may add perspective to that story, but it does not erase the setback to fundamental American principles. Fortunately, the Japanese-American community in Hawaii was spared the indignities suffered by those on our mainland.

We now know what we should have known then--not only was that evacuation wrong, but Japanese-Americans were and are loyal Americans. On the battlefield and at home, Japanese-Americans -- names like Hamada, Mitsumori, Marimoto, Noguchi, Yamasaki, Kido, Munemori and Miyamura -- have been and continue to be written in our history for the sacrifices and the contributions they have made to the well-being and security of this, our common Nation.

The Executive order that was issued on February 19, 1942, was for the sole purpose of prosecuting the war with the Axis Powers, and ceased to be effective with the end of those hostilities. Because there was no formal statement of its termination, however, there is concern among many Japanese-Americans that there may yet be some life in that obsolete document. I think it appropriate, in this our Bicentennial Year, to remove all doubts on that matter, and to make clear our commitment in the future.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GERALD R. FORD, President of the United States of America, do hereby proclaim that all authority conferred by Executive Order 9066 terminated upon the issuance of Proclamation 2714, which formally proclaimed the cessation of hostilities of World War II on December 31, 1946.

I call upon the American people to affirm with me this American Promise -- that we have learned from the tragedy of that long-ago experience forever to treasure liberty and justice for each individual American, and resolve that this kind of action shall never again be repeated.

IN WITNESS THEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this nineteenth day of February in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred seventy-six, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundredth.

https://www.fordlibrarymuseum.gov/library/speeches/760111p.htm

Gee, look at that.  Gerald Ford reversing one of FDR's Executive Orders.  Go figure.  And no one said a word about it being unconstitutional.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Yeah. Obamacare should have died, root and branch, at SCOTUS, too.

Never trust a court.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis