Author Topic: A Texas woman was legally declared dead while still alive  (Read 558 times)

Online corbe

A Texas woman was legally declared dead while still alive
« on: November 10, 2019, 07:39:16 pm »
A Texas woman was legally declared dead while still alive

By Amir Vera, CNN

12 hrs ago

The Social Security Administration declared Sherry Ellis of Magnolia, Texas, dead.© KTRK

Sherry Ellis found out she was dead the day after Halloween.

The 73-year-old from Magnolia, Texas, was picking up her prescription from Walgreens when her bank card was declined. She said she knew something was fishy because the card was three months old.

So she went to the bank, and after rounds of phone calls Ellis found out she had been declared dead by the Social Security Administration.

"With my bank card declined everywhere, I can't get gas, I can't get money for food, I can't do anything," she said. "I don't know how long I'd been dead before I found out."

The Office of the Inspector General said in 2016 the SSA sees fewer than 1,000 cases of mistaken death declarations a month. CNN has reached out to the SSA via email.

<..snip..>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-texas-woman-was-legally-declared-dead-while-still-alive/ar-BBWwmNM?ocid=ientp
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: A Texas woman was legally declared dead while still alive
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 07:41:26 pm »
    I'd bet the Gov won't prorate her taxes either.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
"Well, Excuuuuuse Me!"

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:44:46 pm »
Police later arrested her husband for "Abuse of a corpse" after he reported had sex with her.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 08:25:23 pm »
Social Security, Medicare -- all government bureaucracies are a mess.  Fraud, waste, mismanagement and incompetence. 

And they want to institute Medicare for All.  No thank you.

This is a nightmare for Miss Ellis.  45 days to fix the problem?  This should be corrected immediately.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 09:43:43 pm »
Not going to MSN to see if any details available, but I would think there is more to the story than "random error causes death declaration". Stolen SSN by someone who is now dead? Relative shenanigans? Or ?

-------

Found another source : https://abc13.com/health/i-am-not-deceased-woman-caught-in-social-security-mix-up/5684685/

"Associated with a death certificate"...still could be a mis-appropriated SSN...or a typo on the county issued death certificate?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 09:49:33 pm by Drago »

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2019, 01:17:54 pm »
Not going to MSN to see if any details available, but I would think there is more to the story than "random error causes death declaration". Stolen SSN by someone who is now dead? Relative shenanigans? Or ?

-------

Found another source : https://abc13.com/health/i-am-not-deceased-woman-caught-in-social-security-mix-up/5684685/

"Associated with a death certificate"...still could be a mis-appropriated SSN...or a typo on the county issued death certificate?

Blame it on the computers - they can't defend themselves (yet)...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 09:12:47 pm »
Social Security, Medicare -- all government bureaucracies are a mess.  Fraud, waste, mismanagement and incompetence. 

And they want to institute Medicare for All.  No thank you.

This is a nightmare for Miss Ellis.  45 days to fix the problem?  This should be corrected immediately.
That's what happens when you're expected to keep track of 300+ million people.

Related (older) story:
Social Security Data Errors Can Turn People Into The Living Dead
"In 2011, an audit found that about 1,000 people a month in the U.S. were marked deceased when they were very much alive. Rona Lawson, who works in the Office of the Inspector General at the Social Security Administration, says that number has gone down. It's now around 500 people a month."
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/08/10/489318279/social-security-data-errors-can-turn-people-into-the-living-dead
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024