Author Topic: Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Applewood

Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US

This week's cold snap is only an appetizer compared with the main Arctic blast that's coming next week, meteorologists said. That freeze could be one for the record books.
…
The front will plunge quickly through the northern Plains and upper Midwest Sunday, into the southern Plains and Ohio Valley Monday, then through most of the East Coast and Deep South by Tuesday, the Weather Channel said.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/08/weather-arctic-blast-next-week-midwest-east-south-cold-temperatures/2518984001/

Oh noes!  We need some global warming.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Next week's Arctic blast will be so cold, forecasters expect it to break 170 records across US

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/08/weather-arctic-blast-next-week-midwest-east-south-cold-temperatures/2518984001/

Oh noes!  We need some global warming.

@Applewood keep that beautiful kitty nice and warm. Kitties don’t like cold.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The weather channel hyping the weather since NBC/Universal bought it
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

@Applewood keep that beautiful kitty nice and warm. Kitties don’t like cold.

@Gefn

This is my best friend's cat, Leonid, a pure bred Siberian.  Unfortunately, he's not much of a snuggler.  My friend's house has heat vents built into the floors instead of the walls.  So when Leonid wants to warm up, he sits on one of the vents. 

At one point, I had two cats and both would sleep with me.  We would form a cat sandwich.  One cat on either side and yours truly in the middle.  Now THAT was heavenly on a cold night.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
@Gefn

This is my best friend's cat, Leonid, a pure bred Siberian.  Unfortunately, he's not much of a snuggler.  My friend's house has heat vents built into the floors instead of the walls.  So when Leonid wants to warm up, he sits on one of the vents. 

At one point, I had two cats and both would sleep with me.  We would form a cat sandwich.  One cat on either side and yours truly in the middle.  Now THAT was heavenly on a cold night.

I’m hoping to get a cat soon. It will help with the loneliness @Applewood

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Supposed to get down to 10F here in the Florida of Iowa.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Applewood

I’m hoping to get a cat soon. It will help with the loneliness @Applewood

I wish you well in that regard.  All the cats I had were excellent companions. 

Offline Applewood

The weather channel hyping the weather since NBC/Universal bought it

Don't they all?  They're done carrying on about hurricanes this year, so the attention now turns to winter weather. 

For some of us, this cold snap is unusual because it is way too early.   Temperatures in the teens usually don't come around here till January.  One of our local weather soothsayers is predicting an unusually cold and snowy winter here.  So I am prepared.   I think most of us here at TBR are prepared and will be able to handle it.  Reports like this are for those who only keep one roll of toilet paper in the house at a time.

Offline libertybele

I find it amazing all the hype around weather these days.  It's wintertime.  It gets cold it snows.  When I lived in NY, NJ as a kid and teenager we got a ton of snow and I don't remember hearing about the "arctic blasts" or "polar vortex".  We layered our clothing, put on a winter jacket and a scarf around our necks, a pair of mittens and boots and we were good to go!  MI winters can also be uncomfortable but it's wintertime; bundle up if you need to go outdoors; otherwise sit around the woodstove for heaven's sake.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jpsb

I find it amazing all the hype around weather these days.  It's wintertime.  It gets cold it snows.  When I lived in NY, NJ as a kid and teenager we got a ton of snow and I don't remember hearing about the "arctic blasts" or "polar vortex".  We layered our clothing, put on a winter jacket and a scarf around our necks, a pair of mittens and boots and we were good to go!  MI winters can also be uncomfortable but it's wintertime; bundle up if you need to go outdoors; otherwise sit around the woodstove for heaven's sake.

It's Fall, Winter does not start until December. Dec 21 is the official start of Winter, Dec 1 the unofficial start.

Offline Hoodat

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline dfwgator

"How Dare You!"

Offline goatprairie

Supposed to get down to 10F here in the Florida of Iowa.
Already got below zero in some parts of western Wisconsin not far from me.

Offline goatprairie

It's Fall, Winter does not start until December. Dec 21 is the official start of Winter, Dec 1 the unofficial start.
I go by the meteorogical  change of seasons which goes by December-February as the winter months with Dec. 1 as the start.
Spring starts March 1.
Summer June 1.
Autumn Sept 1.
Makes more sense than the astronomical seasons. I refuse to believe Dec 20 is still fall when it's below zero and two feet of snow on the ground.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes, an Arctic Bliss is coming.  I'm looking at some highs in the 70's next week.  It was 85 yesterday. :tongue2:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

Yes, an Arctic Bliss is coming.  I'm looking at some highs in the 70's next week.  It was 85 yesterday. :tongue2:

Come here, Cyber.   22222frying pan   
happy77

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online mountaineer

Thank you, @Applewood 
He deserved it.  :whistle:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

I go by the meteorogical  change of seasons which goes by December-February as the winter months with Dec. 1 as the start.

That's better than Dec 21, which is actually the dead of winter, shortest day, and marks the mid-way point... which means that winter itself surrounds Dec 21... Which would put the beginning roughly a month and a half prior to Dec 21 (roughly late October / early November)... which is about right for when the Great White Death starts coming around...

And spring beginning a month and a half later, around mid February, which is about right for when spring breakup starts to be possible... By march the crocuses are coming on...

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Bring it. Got a fireplace and a new coat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That's better than Dec 21, which is actually the dead of winter, shortest day, and marks the mid-way point... which means that winter itself surrounds Dec 21... Which would put the beginning roughly a month and a half prior to Dec 21 (roughly late October / early November)... which is about right for when the Great White Death starts coming around...

And spring beginning a month and a half later, around mid February, which is about right for when spring breakup starts to be possible... By march the crocuses are coming on...

When I was a sprout in MI, I considered the "dead of Winter" to be around the end of January. :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm in North Dakota. Winter starts in September in these parts, and doesn't go away until May.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

When I was a sprout in MI, I considered the "dead of Winter" to be around the end of January. :shrug:

Nah... end of January is about the end of 'the dead of winter'... February nearly always brings a thaw, though of course, it doesn't have to... And the end of February is when the Chinook winds begin to blow.
Yeah... Winter can hold on, and does, all the way into May sometimes, but it ain't going to be socked in and 20 below no more, and the snow on the ground will come and go...

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'm in North Dakota. Winter starts in September in these parts, and doesn't go away until May.

Giving rise to the truism that there are only two real seasons in the North - Winter and Road Construction.
The Republic is lost.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

At this point, they're calling for a high of 69 on Wed, which means about 77.  NWS drama queens always over state extreme weather.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.